AFC North rivals thread

[quote]BRAYLON HOSPITALIZED WITH GASH IN FOOT
Posted by Mike Florio on August 10, 2008, 3:30 p.m.
Browns receiver Braylon Edwards, whose lunging one-handed touchdown reception on Thursday night seemed to provide confirmation that this year’s offensive output will be every bit as impressive as last season’s numbers, has been hospitalized with a gash in his foot, according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Edwards was running lightly with other receivers during the special-teams portion of practice on Saturday. Edwards and Donte’ Stallworth were vying for the lead, and then they collided.

And since Edwards inexplicably wasn’t wearing shoes (and since Stallworth was), the free-agent acquisition’s cleats tore into the flesh of Edwards’ foot.

Teammate Joshua Cribbs wrapped a T-shirt around the foot to stop the bleeding. Edwards was carted off, and the wound was stitched at the hospital. Edwards remained there overnight, presumably for precautionary reasons.

One team official told Cabot that the injury isn’t believed to be serious. Still, Edwards likely won’t play until the stitches come out.

And while Cabot’s item doesn’t mention the “S” word, we’d be remiss not to point out the reality that the next question is whether Edwards will end up with a staph infection. The Browns have been ravaged by the supergerm over the past few years; Edwards picked up such an infection after cutting his arm during his rookie season. He missed two games.[/quote]

well jesus christ thats retarded..

who doesnt wear shoes?

i cant much laugh at others injuries as i fear karma like no other. but the irony in the jesus status he was given for the "mega-super-awesomeness-catch" to this, is a bit of a 180 for those fans... im going to run over and see what horrible thoughts they are having..

guess it gives them the "man braylon was never the same after the foot thing, we have the WORST LUCK" come november when they are 4-8 mathematically out of the playoffs.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='686155' date='Aug 11 2008, 12:44 AM']well jesus christ thats retarded..

who doesnt wear shoes?

i cant much laugh at others injuries as i fear karma like no other. but the irony in the jesus status he was given for the "mega-super-awesomeness-catch" to this, is a bit of a 180 for those fans... im going to run over and see what horrible thoughts they are having..

guess it gives them the "man braylon was never the same after the foot thing, we have the WORST LUCK" come november when they are 4-8 mathematically out of the playoffs.[/quote]

If loving this is wrong, I don't want to be right.

I'll carry an old lady across the street tomorrow to even out the karma, whether she wants to go across the street or not.

[quote][size=5][b]AFC North notebook[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Edwards cuts foot in freak accident; Steelers sign Leftwich as a backup for Roethlisberger[/b][/size]
Enquirer news services • August 11, 2008

Browns receiver Braylon Edwards was hospitalized Saturday night at the Cleveland Clinic after having a cut in his right foot repaired with stitches.

He was released Sunday, but did not practice in Berea. Edwards will probably be held out of action while the stitches are in, meaning he could miss the second preseason game against the Giants on Aug. 18.

He suffered the cut on his foot when he was running lightly in his socks at the end of practice Saturday afternoon with some other receivers. According to a photographer who was shooting the session, Edwards and fellow receiver Donte' Stallworth were vying for the lead in a mock race when Stallworth's cleat spiked Edwards' right heel.

Edwards' grimaced in pain on the field while Josh Cribbs wrapped his T-shirt around the foot to stop the bleeding. He then left the field on a cart.

Asked if Edwards was goofing around when got hurt, coach Romeo Crennel said: "I don't know. I didn't see it. All I know is that he got stepped on.''

He admitted, however, that he was concerned.

"I'm always worried when a guy is not out here, but he'll be back,'' said Crennel.

He said he had no time frame for Edwards' return.

"I never put a timetable on guys because you don't know," said Crennel. "All I know is that he's going to work to get back out here and he'll be back when he's ready."

He said he thinks Edwards was held overnight for precautionary reasons.

"They stitched him up and wanted to make sure everything was operating okay and that nothing major was going on," said Crennel. "I think they just kept him to make sure."

He added that "everything is pretty well fine other than the fact he got stitches. So we're going to try to get that healed, and then we'll get him back out here. He was in good spirits (Saturday night) when I spoke with him and he's anxious to get back. We'll just have to see how long it's going to take to get him back."

Midway through the same practice, Edwards had his ankle checked by the trainer after landing on it awkwardly, but returned to drills. The cutting incident happened near the end of practice, when the offense and defense were done and the field goal team was finishing up. Edwards did not practice after he cut the foot.

The minor setback comes on the heels of a number of other major and minor injuries for the offense, which has yet to field the complete starting unit this preseason. Receiver Joe Jurevicius is battling back from a knee injury, tight end Kellen Winslow is easing back in after a week off with a hamstring injury, tight end Steve Heiden is returning from a knee injury that has caused him to miss camp, receiver Kevin Kasper has been sidelined with a hamstring and Stallworth missed the first week with a pulled hamstring.

[b]The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer[/b]

[b]STEELERS: [/b]Pittsburgh signed veteran quarterback Byron Leftwich, choosing the former Jacksonville Jaguars starter over Daunte Culpepper, a three-time Pro Bowl player. The Steelers signed Leftwich, 28, after both he and Culpepper worked out Sunday at the team's training camp at Saint Vincent College.

Pittsburgh needed a backup for Ben Roethlisberger after veteran Charlie Batch broke his right collarbone in Friday night's 16-10 preseason victory over the Philadelphia Eagles. Batch, who is scheduled for surgery today, is expected to miss four to six weeks.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Leftwich, who has started 46 career games for Jacksonville and Atlanta, may not be released when Batch returns.

Leftwich was released by Atlanta in February and has played in nine games the past two seasons because of ankle injuries. A first-round pick of Jacksonville in 2003, he saw action in 15 games that season, with 13 starts. He missed two games in 2004 and five in '05 with injuries.

A serious ankle injury in 2006 limited him to just six games.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080811/SPT0201/808110369/1066/SPT02"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...0369/1066/SPT02[/url]

[quote]SURGERY COMING FOR MCGAHEE
Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2008, 7:48 a.m.
Ravens running back Willis McGahee will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, according to Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times.

The procedure could be performed as soon as today.

It’s being described as a “clean-up” procedure, which typically means that loose or torn cartilage will be removed. But McGahee’s left knee is far from typical, given this incident from several years ago.

There’s no specific word on whether this development will impact McGahee’s availability for the regular-season opener on September 7. If he can’t play, rookie Ray Rice could get the start.[/quote]

[quote]RAVENS LAND LORENZO
Posted by Mike Florio on August 12, 2008, 1:19 p.m.
A week after a 38-year-old man with the middle name of Lorenzo signed with the Jets (yeah, we can find a way to force him into every story), a 37-year-old whose first name is Lorenzo has landed with the Ravens.

Specifically, the Ravens have signed fullback Lorenzo Neal.

The move reuinites Neal with Cam Cameron, who was the offensive coordinator in San Diego during four of Neal’s seasons there.

“He’s one of the finest professionals that I’ve had the privilege to work with,” Cameron said. “When you talk about a Raven — a guy who is physical, competitive and wants to win — one of the first guys I thought of was Lorenzo Neal. He’s going to be a great complement to Le’Ron [McClain].”

Fine, but why in the hell didn’t the Ravens sign Neal sooner?

The team created space for Neal by releasing fullback Justin Green. McClain, despite weighing 260 pounds, could be moved to tailback.[/quote]

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='687008' date='Aug 12 2008, 02:16 PM']Favre's middle name is Lorenzo? :lol:

Brett Lorenzo Favre

:rofl:[/quote]

:o Holy crap it is...

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre[/url]

:rofl:

[quote]Harbaugh: Reed will be ready
McGahee also expected to return for opener
By Jamison Hensley and Edward Lee | Sun reporters
August 12, 2008

Free safety Ed Reed has not engaged in any contact since returning to practice and says his injured shoulder "is day-to-day right now." (Sun photo by Patrick Smith)

Trying to clear up doubts about two of his star players, Ravens coach John Harbaugh said he expects safety Ed Reed and running back Willis McGahee to be ready for the Sept. 7 regular-season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Reed, a four-time Pro Bowl player, was activated off the physically-unable-to-perform list Saturday but has not engaged in any contact because of a shoulder injury.

Reed seemed uncertain whether he would be able to play at the start of the regular season, saying: "It's day-to-day right now. I've just been getting treatment on it. It's a little bit more in-depth than you've been hearing about. I can't really explain it at this point because I'm still researching it myself, but I figure it might be all right."

Harbaugh said there has been "a lot of progress" made with Reed's injury.

"No, I'm not doubtful of [Reed's availability for the season opener] at all based on what we've been told by the doctors," Harbaugh said after morning practice yesterday. "I understand as an athlete, you want it to be right."

Harbaugh also confirmed that McGahee is undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in Miami.

But Harbaugh said McGahee should be cleared in time to start against the Bengals.

"We were confident without the 'scope that he would have been ready," he said. "We just feel like this is a cautionary procedure and [we want to] make sure we're right."

Roster moves
The team placed two backups, running back P.J. Daniels (separated shoulder) and linebacker Prescott Burgess (broken left wrist), on injured reserve, ending their seasons.

The Ravens also released fullback Justin Green, a fifth-round pick in 2005. The moves made room for the team to sign former Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Darrell Campbell and former New Orleans Saints linebacker Terrence Melton.

Because of the number of injuries, the Ravens needed to cut Green from the 80-man roster to add more depth at other positions.

Through the uprights
Matt Stover might have some competition from an unlikely source.

For the second consecutive day, punter Sam Koch kicked field goals during practice. With Stover and rookie Piotr Czech given the day off, Koch connected on attempts of 20, 28, 35 and 42 yards.

"I used to do it in high school and mess around with it in college just to keep that skill there in case there ever was an emergency," Koch said. "It was fun."

End zone
As part of the 30-and-over club, cornerbacks Samari Rolle and Corey Ivy, linebackers Ray Lewis and Gary Stills, wide receiver Derrick Mason, defensive end Trevor Pryce and Stoverdid not practice yesterday. … Offensive tackle Mike Kracalik said he dislocated the middle finger on his left hand yesterday morning but didn't anticipate missing any practice time. … Cornerback David Pittman walked off the field with his left thigh iced and wrapped, but participated in special teams practice in the afternoon.[/quote]

[url="http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravensnotes12aug12,0,6525258.story"]http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,6525258.story[/url]

Archived