Blue-Raaaaaayyyyy!!!!!!!!

Jamie_B

Can we admit that the Xbox has beaten the PS3 now?

[url="http://www.cnbc.com/id/28005236"]http://www.cnbc.com/id/28005236[/url]

[quote]Microsoft's Xbox Sees Big Green on Black Friday
Posted By:Jim Goldman
Topics:Technology | Video Games
Sectors:Technology
Companies:Sony Corporation | Nintendo Co Ltd Adr | Microsoft Corp
Microsoft knew Black Friday was going to be a big day and now it has the numbers to prove it.

This was Microsoft's best Black Friday for Xbox sales ever. According U.S. retailers polled by the software company, Xbox 360 outsold the PlayStation 3 from Sony by a [size=4][color="#FF0000"]three-to-one ratio[/color][/size] and saw an estimated "25 percent increase from Xbox 360 Black Friday sales figures from 2007," Microsoft said in a release Monday night.

Microsoft [MSFT 19.09 0.48 (+2.58%) ] also said "strong game sales rounded out a historic Black Friday for Xbox 360, with record-paced software sales continuing for key Microsoft titles, such as 'Gears of War 2,' 'Fable II,' and 'Lips.'

That game sales trend keeps Microsoft's "game attach rate" the highest of any console at 8.1.

“We entered into the Black Friday sales period with cautious optimism, knowing that dollar for dollar, Xbox 360 offers more social entertainment value than any other console on the market,” Don Mattrick, senior vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, said.

”Xbox 360 sales have also surged worldwide since the September price drop, outselling the PlayStation 3 week over week across Europe," he said. "Console sales in Europe are up as much as 400 percent, with sales nearly double year over year and reaching 7 million consoles sold this generation."

Xbox's success is particularly striking given that Sony [SNE 19.10 0.88 (+4.83%) ] last week launched a new Playstation 3 credit card that offered applicants $150 off the price of their console. Xbox's success also comes amid stiff competition from Nintendo's Wii. Nintendo [NTDOF 287.5 --- UNCH (0) ] actually increased U.S. shipments by 50 percent this quarter to avoid product shortages that have slowed sales in each of the last two years. In fact, eBay alone reported the sale of nearly 3,200 Wii consoles on Friday alone.

I spoke with top executives at each of the companies last week, and all agreed that gaming is seeing unprecedented momentum in this holiday shopping season, despite recession worries. Microsoft's numbers seem to confirm that momentum, with the company taking the unusual step of saying that it expects the trend to continue globally well into 2009.[/quote]

[quote]"This was Microsoft's best Black Friday for Xbox sales ever. According U.S. retailers [b]polled by the software company[/b], Xbox 360 outsold the PlayStation 3 from Sony by a three-to-one ratio and saw an estimated "25 percent increase from Xbox 360 Black Friday sales figures from 2007," [b]Microsoft said in a release Monday night.[/b]"[/quote]

No way! Microsoft put out a flattering press release about itself?!?!?!?!

Can we put to bed the question of whether or not the average XBoxer is three times more gullible than the average PS3er?

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='729619' date='Dec 3 2008, 03:46 PM']No way! Microsoft put out a flattering press release about itself?!?!?!?!

Can we put to bed the question of whether or not the average XBoxer is three times more gullible than the average PS3er?[/quote]

Find me somthing that disqualifys or says otherwise.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='729623' date='Dec 3 2008, 03:53 PM']I actually polled certain people I know, and I'm reporting that certain people I surveyed, the the tune of a 3 to 1 ratio, do NOT think I'm a Sony fanboy...

I just sent out a press release about it...[/quote]

and those of us who have read your posts can disqualify that

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='729623' date='Dec 3 2008, 04:53 PM']I actually polled certain people I know, and I'm reporting that certain people I surveyed, the the tune of a 3 to 1 ratio, do NOT think I'm a Sony fanboy...

I just sent out a press release about it...[/quote]

ok

[url="http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39418&end=39782&weekly=1"]http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&...82&weekly=1[/url]

there ya go..

us, worldwide, everything.. all 3 consoles sales..

you have nothing to stand on at this point...

enjoy your ps3 and accept that you in the minority in console preference. its common knowledge..

[url="http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=X360&reg3=Japan&start=39418&end=39782&weekly=1"]Now who makes all the hardware?[/url].

To be honest it doesn't make a blind bit of difference who's brought what. I've got a 360 and a PS3, the PS3 is better. But it's more expensive. Which explains the sales thing.

I suppose we could have a graph showing the amount of people who've brought a Taurus compared to those who've brought a 911 and claim the Taurus is better. Or the people with a Dell vs the people with an Alienware.

More expensive = Less sales. Wow, stop the press.

And in case you want to doubt me, or claim that my initial link is bias because it's Japan only, here is another graph comparing [url="http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PSP&reg1=All&cons2=DS&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39418&end=39782&weekly=1"]two cheaper options with the 360 on a worldwide level[/url].

So, yeah.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='730131' date='Dec 5 2008, 02:51 PM']Well you'd argue wrongly then wouldn't you.

I've got 11 games for the 360, two of them are sequels of other games, and I'm not missing a damn thing.

Then again I've got a gaming PC, so the ability to shoot people wore thin about 10 years ago.[/quote]

I havent played a FPS in a long while, so I'll have to disagree im arguing wrongly. But Ive never been one that cares to play PC games either so...

Blu Ray won the format war, but I'll be interested in seeing if it wins the distribution war. Right now, it seems people don't want Blu Ray players, nor do they want to play $10 more per movie. It may still win out in another year or two, but I'm holding off. I'm going to pass with the upgrade this holiday season and see if the digital distribution methods create a better solution in the coming year.

Who cares? Here's the way I judge it. I had a 360 for a year and a half. I bought a PS3 this summer. I haven't touched my 360 or even brought it with me to my new apartment since August. But in the end, why the hell does anyone "root" for either or? You just look like fanbois for something really really random, especially in this era where 95% of all must-have titles are multi-platform. It's like having heated debates over what is the best kind of washing machine IMO.

Archived