Why is everybody pushing to Draft an LB and C?

Mikey6866

I dont know about any of you but everybody seems to be wanting to draft a C in round 2 or 3 there is going to be awesome defensive talent there. In free agency there are very good centers available and they wont be a rookie calling out protections. No one seems to be mentioning Jason Brown C Ravens....he would be my primary free agent target. He is young and one of the better centers in the game at this time. If he wants too much money we can get matt birk, brad meester, jeff saturday.

Linebackers is probably the deepest position available in free agency. We could land Bart Scott and then draft a MLB, or we could Get a Channing Crowder or a Mike Peterson and draft a linebacker a little later and still get good value.

With our Top picks we have to focus on the Lines. Oline and Dline. You cant "get" a LT or a DE that easy in free agency. If you get a LT or DE that hits the market your looking at 10-11 mil a season as well. If we get pressure on the QB our defense has a chance to be pretty good. Getting pressure makes the LB's and secondarys job much easier and everybody looks better. Looks at the Giants D....I think their corners are average at best but you only have 3 seconds to cover with that rush in your face every play.

In Free Agency I would be happy with:
C Jason Brown
MLB Channing Crowder
P Shane Lechler
QB Charlie Batch

No huge names and should be affordable.

Then Draft:
1. Eugene Monroe OT VA- Smith will be gone.
2. Jerry Hughes SLB/DE TCU- SLB/DE that has the ability to bring heat. Can Pass rush DE on 3rd down.
Trade Chad for a 2. Brandon Lang DE Troy- DE who can bring heat
3. Coye Francis CB San Jose st- underrated corner who has good size skill and speed.
3.(supp)- Rashad Johnson FS Alabama- I dont like Marvin White at all....i have S as a bigger need than most people and I love Rashad Johnson, hes smart fast and will be a great safety.
4. James Davis RB Clemson- CJ Spiller has cut into his carries, but he is still a good back and will be a great value here.
5. Jordan Shipley WR Texas- Trading Chad we should take a WR, wes welker clone and will be great on special teams from day 1. BPA at this point.
6. Garrett Reynolds RT NC- Underrated RT I like him and may be a futre starter at RT.
7. Glover Quin CB- another CB to provide more depth because we are thin, could be good on special teams
7.supp Jason Williams LB West IL- More LB and special teams depth.

I think that would be ideal and fill alot of holes while providing depth at alot of positions. If this were to happen I would feel real good going into next season with potential to get more pressure on the QB, and to protect Carson.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='734668' date='Dec 22 2008, 10:29 PM']Crowder and Brown will both get huge contracts wherever they go, which I doubt is here.[/quote]

Solid Starters who never sniffed a pro bowl....dont think either is headed for a huge payday. They will both get good deals but not a huge payday.

[quote name='Mikey6866' post='734673' date='Dec 22 2008, 10:44 PM']Solid Starters who never sniffed a pro bowl....dont think either is headed for a huge payday. They will both get good deals but not a huge payday.[/quote]

Extremely young talented players = huge pay day

[quote name='GoBengals' post='734706' date='Dec 23 2008, 02:35 AM']there is no need larger on this team than LB..

perhaps with andrews ACL/MCL whatever, injury, OL moves close or past.. but we need more than one LB... we need another 1st and 2nd round combo almost...[/quote]

I Disagree. I think Brandon Johnson has played well and jeanty and dhani have been solid as well. The LB crew is by no means spectaular but i am happy with the way they have played this year. By Far the biggest need on D is a pass rusher...whether it be a LB or DE, in Zimmer's scheme it would be a DE. He relys on the line getting pressure, so I would prefer a DE...an impact russher on the edge.

I think we do need an upgrade at MLB and SLB, and if you look at the free agents i was talking about signing and the draft picks we would have Crowder as MLB and Hughes at SLB, as well as Monroe at LT and a pass rushing threat of Brandon Lang at DE. I think that would be pretty nice.

[quote name='Mikey6866' post='734707' date='Dec 23 2008, 02:06 AM']I Disagree. I think Brandon Johnson has played well and jeanty and dhani have been solid as well. The LB crew is by no means spectaular but i am happy with the way they have played this year. By Far the biggest need on D is a pass rusher...whether it be a LB or DE, in Zimmer's scheme it would be a DE. He relys on the line getting pressure, so I would prefer a DE...an impact russher on the edge.

I think we do need an upgrade at MLB and SLB, and if you look at the free agents i was talking about signing and the draft picks we would have Crowder as MLB and Hughes at SLB, as well as Monroe at LT and a pass rushing threat of Brandon Lang at DE. I think that would be pretty nice.[/quote]

i doubt we see anything at DE. odom is a guy zimmer likes, and a rotation of rucker and geathers is fine, no DE's will have any success with no threat from the LB's. no one is affraid of dhani jones coming up the middle. by the time he gets anywhere the play is over. his 5 career sacks in roughly 10 nfl seasons leaves much to be desired.. he has palyed well,... for his skill level.

there arent many, if any, successful defenses with mediocre to crappy linebackers...

the top 2 D's in the league, in the steelers and ravens, have some badass mofo linebackers..

linebackers stop the run, get pressure on the qb, and cover the short and middle pass... they are involved and important on every single play.

there is no more important position on the field...

odom and geathers by far out skill jones and johnson and jeanty.. combined.... the linebacking crew has played, horrid, at times this year.. serious talent lacking there....

just dont see them spending any pick or more cash at DE with the deal geathers got and the signing of odom.. seems unlikely. *shruggs*

the draft should be exciting no matter what happens this year...

the top 2 D's in the league, in the steelers and ravens, have some badass mofo linebackers..

linebackers stop the run, get pressure on the qb, and cover the short and middle pass... they are involved and important on every single play.

there is no more important position on the field...

I could not have said it better myself, We need to get atleast one more beast ass linebacker if not 2

Could/Should sign a FA LB and also burn a high draft pick on one. There are plays to be had and the depth in not great. Dhani and Brandon need to be depth and special teams help, at the very least Brandon Johnson needs to be considered your worst starter to get this defense up to a top level.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='735099' date='Dec 25 2008, 06:31 PM']This team is going no where unless they run the ball effectively and keep Palmer upright...if they fail to fix the OL, next season will be similar to this one.[/quote]
I tend to agree. Fix the trenches on both sides of the ball first, and then work outside. I also agree with Go, we do NEED another quality LB or two to shore up that position group.

I hope our draft is mostly an alternation between OL, LB, DL, OL, LB, DL and the rest I don't care.

Not too many people are mentioning running back. We definitely need a running back in the first three rounds. The only way for the Bengals to meet all their needs this offseason is to either open up the books and spend like mad in free agency or trade players for picks or trade down for picks. Running back is a huge need because Benson is not a starter in this league. He would be a great backup but unless you get him on the Broncos he'll never put up 1,200 yards a season. We need a running back no later than the third round to come in and challenge for a starting job.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='735296' date='Dec 27 2008, 07:00 PM']Not too many people are mentioning running back. We definitely need a running back in the first three rounds. The only way for the Bengals to meet all their needs this offseason is to either open up the books and spend like mad in free agency or trade players for picks or trade down for picks. Running back is a huge need because Benson is not a starter in this league. He would be a great backup but unless you get him on the Broncos he'll never put up 1,200 yards a season. We need a running back no later than the third round to come in and challenge for a starting job.[/quote]

I still don't get why people are dawging Benson. He's not an elite RB, but he's more than capable of being a starter in this league. As for him never reaching 1200yds, that's somethineg even Rudi was able to do 3 times and Cedric is far more talented than Rudi ever was. Give Cedric a decent oline, and he can be your bell cow for the next 4-5 years.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='735297' date='Dec 27 2008, 07:09 PM']I still don't get why people are dawging Benson. He's not an elite RB, but he's more than capable of being a starter in this league. As for him never reaching 1200yds, that's somethineg even Rudi was able to do 3 times and Cedric is far more talented than Rudi ever was. Give Cedric a decent oline, and he can be your bell cow for the next 4-5 years.[/quote]
Hasn't Cedric already eclipsed the 1200 yard mark in his time with the Bears? And when he played there, they had a shoddy oline and a shitty QB (hmmm, sounds familiar).

Anyway, to the OP...dude, you keep mentioning these highly-prized FA's at the C and LB position that are going to be available...and if they are as coveted as they probably will be, what makes you think we'll sign any of them? When have we ever done that, making a big splash in FA?

I bet the Colts (and Manning) will do everything they can to resign Saturday. Bart Scott may well go to the highest bidder (hint: it likely won't be the Bengals), hence...we draft.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='734668' date='Dec 22 2008, 09:29 PM']Crowder and Brown will both get huge contracts wherever they go, which I doubt is here.[/quote]

No they won't because they're a LB and center. Those positions aren't highly paid. At best they'll be paid well for their position. Crowder isn't the player Lance Briggs is. Briggs was voted to his 4th probowl this year and was a free agent last offseason. He makes $6 mil per season. Brown will probably not get as much as Jeff Faine got last year which was less than Stacy Andrews. With us out from under Willie Anderson's contract, Stacy not going to get tagged again, and perhaps Levi being cut, the team should spend more on the O-line.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='735297' date='Dec 27 2008, 07:09 PM']I still don't get why people are dawging Benson. He's not an elite RB, but he's more than capable of being a starter in this league. As for him never reaching 1200yds, that's somethineg even Rudi was able to do 3 times and Cedric is far more talented than Rudi ever was. Give Cedric a decent oline, and he can be your bell cow for the next 4-5 years.[/quote]

There isn't much evidence that Benson can be our bell cow. The Cleveland game shouldn't be included in any evaluation since the Browns quit trying several weeks ago. Basically Benson has had two good games and several poor ones. That doesn't sound like starter material to me. He has had a good attitude here so I'm fine with re-signing him, but we should be looking to upgrade also.

[quote name='sparky151' post='735319' date='Dec 28 2008, 02:05 AM']There isn't much evidence that Benson can be our bell cow. The Cleveland game shouldn't be included in any evaluation since the Browns quit trying several weeks ago. Basically Benson has had two good games and [b]several poor ones.[/b] That doesn't sound like starter material to me. He has had a good attitude here so I'm fine with re-signing him, but we should be looking to upgrade also.[/quote]

he did, or the oline did? :hmm:

A RB is only as good as the guys blocking for him. Who does Benson have? A rookie at LT, a guy seeing his first snaps at LG, Bluto at center, an overrated Andrews at RT, and a former TE at FB. Not much around him.

[quote name='sparky151' post='735319' date='Dec 28 2008, 02:05 AM']There isn't much evidence that Benson can be our bell cow. The Cleveland game shouldn't be included in any evaluation since the Browns quit trying several weeks ago. Basically Benson has had two good games and several poor ones. That doesn't sound like starter material to me. He has had a good attitude here so I'm fine with re-signing him, but we should be looking to upgrade also.[/quote]
Ah, but the real question is "why did Benson have poor games"? Was it because Benson himself sucks, or was it more of a function of our offensive line sucking and us playing against better defenses?

[quote name='sparky151' post='735318' date='Dec 28 2008, 03:02 AM']No they won't because they're a LB and center. Those positions aren't highly paid. At best they'll be paid well for their position. Crowder isn't the player Lance Briggs is. Briggs was voted to his 4th probowl this year and was a free agent last offseason. He makes $6 mil per season. Brown will probably not get as much as Jeff Faine got last year which was less than Stacy Andrews. With us out from under Willie Anderson's contract, Stacy not going to get tagged again, and perhaps Levi being cut, the team should spend more on the O-line.[/quote]

Briggs makes 6 million dollars per season, Odom was signed to just under 6 million dollars per season, the richest free agent contract in Bengals history.

Crowder is very young, 25, extremely talented and versatile. He doesn't have the pro bowls but his considerable upside will bring a large amount of money, at least 5-6 million per year with a hefty signing bonus.

Faine was signed to a 6 year 37 million dollar contract last season, making him the highest paid center in NFL history. Brown is younger and a better player.

I highly doubt the Bengals pay that much for either one of them, let alone both.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='735300' date='Dec 27 2008, 07:18 PM']Hasn't Cedric already eclipsed the 1200 yard mark in his time with the Bears? And when he played there, they had a shoddy oline and a shitty QB (hmmm, sounds familiar).[/quote]
Actually Cedric hit his career high this year with 747 yards on 214 carries - also a career high
He rushed for 674, 647 and 272 in his three years in Chicago, with a high TDs of 6 in 2006. Once he hits about 170-190 carries his average drops from over 4 yards a carry to 3.5 or so.
At his pace he'll need 343 carries to eclipse 1,200 yards.
Rudi's most productive seasons were 2004-2006 when he carried the ball 361, 337 and 341 times and gained 1,454, 1,458 and 1,309 yards and 12 tds in each season.
Say what you will about the offensive line but based on those numbers Rudi was a much better back than Benson is.
BTW- by the time Rudi was in his third year (I'll give Benson some slack because of the transition to a new team) he had 957 yards at 4.5 per carry and 9 tds.
Maybe all the team needs is better linemen but I tend to think a better running back is needed too.

I just don't know about Maluaga. He's got playmaking ability, but he's also very undisciplined and was surrounded by tons of talent. Whenever I watch him, he always goes for the big hit over the sure tackle. I'd rather take Curry, move Rivers inside and let Brandon Johnson start at WLB.

The one plus is that he'd already be used to playing alongside Rivers.

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='736642' date='Dec 30 2008, 09:30 PM']i'm surprised nobody is mentioning malaluga (probly mispelled) as our top pick. him and a healthy rivers shore up our LB corps and good linemen can be found throughout the draft, we need to spend at least 5 of our picks combined on OL and DL[/quote]

Curry is a better player. Maualuga is a big hitter, but undisciplined and stiff in the hips. He would really only be worth that high a pick in a 3-4 defense where he would be allowed to freelance. I don't think he's the best fit in a Zimmer defense. He'd definitely be an upgrade, but the only LB I want that high is Curry.

Archived