'Feet at the fire'

[quote][size=5][b]'Feet at the fire' [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
January 28, 2009

With coaches and players both having their "feet at the fire," head coach Marvin Lewis is looking at an offseason of both continuity and change in an effort to end a three-year drought in the postseason.

During Wednesday's session with beat reporters at Paul Brown Stadium, Lewis reiterated what Bob Bratkowski said last week in anticipating the biggest overhaul in his nine seasons as offensive coordinator. Lewis wouldn't say his coaching staff is set, but did say that he believes continuity is a key in the NFL.

He also said on-field discipline "eroded," and that the team's good players have failed to step up and play like they can.

"I think some of our better players have not played up to the standard they need to play to," Lewis said. "When you have injuries, that means other guys have to rise up and play better. You just can't play the same. You have to go play better. That's what good teams do. I think we have fought through mediocrity because when mediocre people have mediocre success then they feel like they've done more than they have really done."

Lewis wouldn't get specific on names. Or the types of changes he envisions for an offense that finished last in the NFL for the first time in history.

"That would be stupid," he said of discussing the changes, but he allowed there would be "a little different look."

"We have to have a big change. Our type of runs, our style of passing game, it all has to change because our players have changed," Lewis said. "We continue to adjust and there will be some areas we need to get some players that fit what we need to do."

Lewis said the Bengals have to be proactive when free agency starts Feb. 27 because they have several players heading into free agency themselves, headlined by the team's third all-time leading receiver, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and its all-time most accurate kicker, Shayne Graham. Lewis wouldn't say if the club will use the franchise tag on Houshmandzadeh, Graham, or anyone else for that matter.

"We'd prefer not to use it," he said, "and sign them both."

With quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese under consideration for the job of Tampa Bay offensive coordinator, the offensive staff looks pretty intact but Lewis stopped short of saying it was. He says an old staff can teach new tricks and with a 16-28-1 record since a 3-0 start in 2006, they don't have a lot of time to get it fixed.

"Continuity has proven in the NFL the best way time and time again, whether it is system or coaches," Lewis said. "There are a lot of areas we need to improve in and we've got to get it done; both coaching-wise and playing-wise our feet are at the fire and we've got to get some areas fixed and be better than what we did last year. I feel comfortable that will happen in both change of what we do and how we do it.

"Same coaches? It's what any team would want: Continuity. They said there were 21 different defensive coordinators in the NFL this year. Come on now. Please. That's somebody throwing up their hands. It's somebody that really doesn't understand saying, 'It's not my fault.' We're in such an age of instant information and everybody wants to throw somebody under the bus as quickly as they can. Sometimes with changes there is a little bit of a transition period. So you don't reap the benefit of it right away, unfortunately. We've been through this for three years now and we haven't been in the playoffs and we were one and done in the playoffs, so that's not good enough."

The same staff is also going to have to stop some of the same stuff.

"From every level. From blocking to finishing plays, to your wide receivers blocking and being in the right depths on routes," Lewis said. "The discipline of the guys playing in the spots have to improve. They eroded and it really hurt us and it got our quarterback hurt and we've got to get back and doing it the right way."

Echoing what he said at the end of last season, Lewis is still looking for the unselfish mindset his team had at 3-0 before heading into a Monday night game against the Patriots in 2006.

"Then everything got big. Everybody felt like they had the answer and they were the reasons," said Lewis, who said he has purged players and "the process will continue."

"I like our football team because I knew the guys we finished with would play hard," he said. "We added guys that had the mindset we had in '03, that we're going to play hard, that we're going to practice and we're going to do it."

Also, Lewis said that quarterback Carson Palmer continues to do fine in coming back from his injured elbow and he's on course for a normal entry into the '09 season.

He also said that Bengals president Mike Brown, along with Lewis, is concerned with the club-record list of players on injured reserve this past season and the team plans to examine the issue.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7480"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7480[/url]

[size=5][url="http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2009/01/28/happy_time_fun_smile_hour_129"][color="#0066cc"]Happy Time Fun Smile Hour 1.29[/color][/url] [/size]

Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 02:39 PM EST [[url="http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/cat/bengals"][color="#0066cc"]Bengals[/color][/url]]

Just spent an hour talking to Marvin Lewis, along with Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson and the Enquirer's Joe Reedy.

I'll do my best to bring you what I can.

Basically, no mention of staff changes, said the team has identified who it wants back from its free agent class, now it's up to negotiation, and that there will be changes in coaching philosophy, if not actual coaching staff.

Anyway, I'll get it to you asap, and I'll also be on with Lance McAlister on 1530-AM and 1530Homer.com at 5 p.m.

[b]UPDATE 3:30 p.m. --[/b] OK, I've gotten through a bit of the tape -- probably one-fifth. And here's what's been interesting.

[b]* Talking about free[/b] agency: "We're going to have to be active because we have some guys who are currently free agents and we don't know that we can sign those guys back, so we're going to try to be as much as we can proactive and fill some of the holes we need to fill in our football team. We're going to try to get guys who fit what we do and that may not preclude us from taking a draft pick later, but would also compliment what we already have here."

[b]* On the coaching [/b]staff staying the same: "I think that's a good thing. I think continuity has proven in the NFL to be the best way, time and time again, whether it's system or coaches. So as I said earlier, there's a lot of areas we need to improve in and we need to get it done, both coaching-wise and player-wise, our feet are at the fire. We've got to get some areas fixed and do better than we did this last year. I'm confident that will happen, both in change and what we do and how we do it and so forth. It'll be kind of a different look."

[b]* As for specifics [/b]on that "different look": "You don't ever go on the record and tell anyone what you're going to do, that would be stupid."

[b]* It was noted [/b]that offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski told the media it would be as big of a change to the playbook as has happened since he's been a part of the staff, Lewis said: "We have to have a big change. It's important that our style of run, our style of passing game and so forth, it all has to change. We've got to. Our players have changed and that's important that we continue to adjust with them. There are some areas we have to get players to fit where we want them to do. We've got a changing process that has to happen."

Following up on that: "From every level to blocking to finishing plays to our wide receivers blocking and so forth, being at the right depths on routes, not only that, that's a big overhaul. The discipline from the guys playing the spots for us has to improve. That's hurt us, it got our quarterback hurt. We've got to get back to doing it the right way."

And can they do that with the same staff? "That's what any team would want. You want to have continuity. That's what anyone would want to have."

Also: "We're in such an age of instant information and everyone wants to throw somebody under the bus as quickly as they can. Sometimes that change takes a little bit of a transition period that goes with change so you don't reap the benefit of it right away, unfortunately."

[b]* On his expectations [/b]and having his "feet to the fire": "We've been through this and it's been three years since we've been to the playoffs and we were one-and-done in the playoffs and it's not good enough. So the expectations of where we want to be and what we want to do, we haven't reached them, we've fallen short of those things so we need to get back in order."

[b]* He followed that [/b]with this: "We've taken a lot of steps in the right way. I think the evolution of the young players defensively that we've added through the draft and so forth, and the discipline of things and the things that occurred on defense this year were a bright spot and to have Carson back and healthy, obviously gives us a huge lift, him chomping at the bit and ready to go. That's a big thing. We don't have that hovering over our head anymore. Those things are a big positive. The defensive football team came a long ways without our No. 1 draft pick in Keith Rivers and our No. 1 draft pick from three years ago in Johnathan Joseph. So they made big strides that way. I think we've got to continue to add things, we had a lot of players grow up and play some pretty good football. But we need to still get the most out of our offensive skill guys, I think we've got more to get from them, that's obviously important. We've got to do a better job of pass protection, we'll do that by being able to run the ball more effectively. At the end of the year when we got our mind on running the ball more, we did a much better job. You know, we were able to get some more runs and really, even in some of the games against the league's best defenses we had some of our best run production throughout the season, so it's important we still keep doing that in order to be a good football team and if you want to play football in December in this division, you better be able to effectively run the football."

[b]* On the running [/b]game's improvement: "It was a combination of a lot of different things. No. 1, Cedric being more disciplined and being where he needed to be in the running game. That's a hard thing to do. A back comes in and is used to certain footwork and certain things, you have to stay on those tracks in order for the linemen to do their jobs. Sometimes we failed miserably at the offensive line position at times and we didn't get people blocked. It's kind of a two-fold approach. When you can't effectively throw the football over their heads, they can stack up on you and we need to be a better football team at doing that. We made no 30-plus yard plays and we've got to do a better job at doing those things offensively. As you look at those things, that's where you're going to how do we create those plays. We get our quarterback back and healthy, whch is easy. He's ready to do that. The second step is that and they take care of themselves. I think a little revision on how we do things and what we're looking for in those areas is what's important for us to do."

[b]* On Carson Palmer: [/b]"He was ready to go if we had one more week in the season, he'd have played."

[b]* On the franchise [/b]tag being used on T.J. Houshmandzadeh or Shayne Graham: "You don't have to tag anybody, we'd prefer not to tag anybody, that'd be the preferable way – to get both guys signed and not tag either one. Or anybody, I don't know why it just comes down to those two."

More later...

[url="http://thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2009/01/28/happy_time_fun_smile_hour_129"]http://thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2009/01/28/..._smile_hour_129[/url]

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='742949' date='Jan 28 2009, 05:40 PM']So my question is this. Is there any chance that TJ and Shayne would test the market, and then come back to the Bengals and say "Match this or I'm gone" or are they more likely to just take a bigger deal, not touch base with the Bengals, and move on.

I'm assuming that neither would get tagged.[/quote]

It probably depends on the team. If the new team has it's act together, looks like a playoff contender, then no reason to let the Bengals match. If it's the Lions or Chiefs, then why bother leaving if the Bengals will match?

[i]* Talking about free agency: "We're going to have to be active because we have some guys who are currently free agents and we don't know that we can sign those guys back, so we're going to try to be as much as we can proactive and fill some of the holes we need to fill in our football team. We're going to try to get guys who fit what we do and that may not preclude us from taking a draft pick later, but would also compliment what we already have here."
[/i]

I actually find this a positive statement. It's not the usual yearly blather about how "our best players are already on the team" crap.

Maybe...just maybe...they will actually go balls-out in FA this year, for once in their existence.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='742949' date='Jan 28 2009, 05:40 PM']So my question is this. Is there any chance that TJ and Shayne would test the market, and then come back to the Bengals and say "Match this or I'm gone" or are they more likely to just take a bigger deal, not touch base with the Bengals, and move on.

i think you probably already know the answer to that one.

"Same coaches? It's what any team would want: Continuity. They said there were 21 different defensive coordinators in the NFL this year. Come on now. Please. That's somebody throwing up their hands. It's somebody that really doesn't understand saying, 'It's not my fault.' We're in such an age of instant information and everybody wants to throw somebody under the bus as quickly as they can. Sometimes with changes there is a little bit of a transition period. So you don't reap the benefit of it right away, unfortunately. We've been through this for three years now and we haven't been in the playoffs and we were one and done in the playoffs, so that's not good enough."

Anyone else notice how odd this quotation is? Lewis seems to be saying that having 21 new defensive coordinators this past year was a problem for teams because such change creates discontinuity. Yet his team is one of those 21 and by general agreement that change did improve the defense. So following that logic, since discontinuity was a benefit for the Bengals, why couldn't it work for the offense?

[quote name='Gregory' post='742960' date='Jan 28 2009, 06:40 PM']"Same coaches? It's what any team would want: Continuity. They said there were 21 different defensive coordinators in the NFL this year. Come on now. Please. That's somebody throwing up their hands. It's somebody that really doesn't understand saying, 'It's not my fault.' We're in such an age of instant information and everybody wants to throw somebody under the bus as quickly as they can. Sometimes with changes there is a little bit of a transition period. So you don't reap the benefit of it right away, unfortunately. We've been through this for three years now and we haven't been in the playoffs and we were one and done in the playoffs, so that's not good enough."

Anyone else notice how odd this quotation is? Lewis seems to be saying that having 21 new defensive coordinators this past year was a problem for teams because such change creates discontinuity. Yet his team is one of those 21 and by general agreement that change did improve the defense. So following that logic, since discontinuity was a benefit for the Bengals, why couldn't it work for the offense?[/quote]

I think Lewis is going to bat for Brat in that statement. At least that's what I got out of it.

[quote name='scharm' post='742966' date='Jan 28 2009, 08:51 PM']I think Lewis is going to bat for Brat in that statement. At least that's what I got out of it.[/quote]

That was my take as well--it's just that the example he used, hiring a new coordinator, was a positive for the Bengals last year, so his reasoning seemed backward.

ya know.. tagging graham isnt a terrible idea...

we are goin to pay him probably more than the average of the top 5 at his position anyway.. so why not tag.. unless its needed for tj or something..

not like a kicker tag is 8 mil or anything.. it would be like 2.5-3 mil..

i like this more and more as i talk about it..

if we dont need it elsewhere, and he doesnt want to sign.. tag em... its the most cost effective place to waste the tag...

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='742961' date='Jan 28 2009, 06:50 PM']Generally I don't ask questions that I already know the answer to. It would be a waste of a post and of value to no one. Kind of like your post.[/quote]

my bad and i apologize. apparently, i gave you way too much credit. it won't happen again.

[quote name='bengaled' post='742978' date='Jan 28 2009, 07:22 PM']my bad and i apologize. apparently, i gave you way too much credit. it won't happen again.[/quote]

All I'm saying is that I've heard is that they like it 'here' at different times (with TJ it was even recently). Do they want to play elsewhere regardless? Who knows.

Are you being kind of an ass in this instance? Oops, there I go asking questions that I already know the answer to.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='742980' date='Jan 28 2009, 08:36 PM']All I'm saying is that I've heard is that they like it 'here' at different times (with TJ it was even recently). Do they want to play elsewhere regardless? Who knows.

Are you being kind of an ass in this instance? Oops, there I go asking questions that I already know the answer to.[/quote]

certainly not limited to this instance

I think you've got to use the tag on someone and run the risk of overpaying. I believe at today's market increase not using the tag is the unwise move.

I also think TJ entered unrestricted FA once before. He was comfortable with the bengals and tested the market and came back to the team eventhough he thought he could have gotten more (going from memory).

So there's a history of him doing it, but he might not do it twice.

Shayne ran out and got an offer sheet and forced the match, I believe the last time he was a FA. So, I think he bolts for sure once he gets the deal he wants.

[quote][size=5][b]Marvin wants discipline[/b][/size]
[size=4][b]Believes team can reach playoffs[/b][/size]
By Joe Reedy • jreedy@enquirer.com • January 29, 2009

The Bengals have not been in the playoffs since 2005, so coach Marvin Lewis knows things have to improve next season.

Step one: A more disciplined team.

"Some of our better players have not played up to the standard they need to play to," Lewis said Wednesday.

"When you have injuries and other stuff, guys have to rise up and play better. You can't play the same. You have to go out and play better, and that's what good teams do. I think we have fought through mediocrity. When mediocre players have mediocre success, then they feel like they have done more than they have really done."

Since starting the season 3-0 in 2006, when according to Lewis "everything got big and everyone felt like they had the answers," the Bengals have gone into a freefall, including a 4-11-1 finish last season.

Most of the focus will be on the offense, where the unit finished 32nd, last in the NFL.

"We have to have a big change. Our style of run and passing game, we have to change because our players have changed and I think that's important that we continue to adjust with them some," Lewis said. "We need to do a better job of pass protection, and you do that by being able to run the football more effectively."

Although it might be most of the same players and coaches, there has to be a higher level of discipline.

"From blocking to finishing plays, to our wide receivers blocking and being at the right depth on routes. The discipline of guys playing those spots has to improve. They eroded, and that's what hurt us and got our QB hurt," Lewis said.

Quarterback Carson Palmer missed 12 games with an injured throwing elbow, which did not require surgery. He is rehabbing in California and should be ready when offseason workouts begin in March.

Lewis' thoughts on other areas:

Free agency: Lewis said the team will be proactive when it begins Feb. 27. Some of what they do might not impact draft strategy because of multiple needs at the same position.

The Bengals have 10 unrestricted free agents, including wide receiver T.H. Houshmandzadeh, offensive tackle Stacy Andrews, running back Cedric Benson and kicker Shayne Graham.

The team has not made a determination if it will use the franchise tag, but it is the Bengals' aim "not to tag anyone."

With Andrews recovering from knee surgery, the two most likely to be tagged would be Houshmandzadeh or Graham.

The deadline for teams to tag players is Feb. 19. According to some estimates, the tag for a wide receiver would be $9.9 million, while a kicker would cost $2.5 million.

Assistants: No announcements were made, but it appears as if there wil not be any changes. The only unknown at the moment is quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese, who has been reported to be a finalist for Tampa Bay's offensive coordinator opening.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090129/SPT02/901290372/1066/rss07"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009012...0372/1066/rss07[/url]

[size=5][url="http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2009/01/28/more_from_marvin"][color="#0066cc"]More from Marvin[/color][/url] [/size]

Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 10:19 PM EST [[url="http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/cat/bengals"][color="#0066cc"]Bengals[/color][/url]]

I'll have even more tomorrow...

[b]* On Stacy Andrews: [/b]"There’s a chance he’d be ready to start training camp. He’s doing very well. It could be PUP situation or he could be ready, I can’t tell you that right now. I’ll have a little better feel for that in June if he were back. It’s going to be a process but I think as time goes on they feel more comfortable given the prognosis. He’s doing very well."

[b]* On the tackle [/b]position: "Well, Levi’s signed and he’s undergoing some physical things as well, right now, but you know, I’m not really going to effectively help us right now to sit here and go position-by-position with where we are with anybody."

[b]* On Baltimore and [/b]Pittsburgh meeting for the AFC Championship: "I wasn’t surprised. I was more surprised with Baltimore. They did a great job. They played great defense, they were able to run the ball. They made plays down the field in the passing game and that got them to the championship game. They continue the trend that beat us when they beat us the two times. They made the chunk plays to change field position, they got the scores and played good defense. They didn’t turn the ball over. That’s the recipe for success, no matter what."

[b]* Will the team [/b]draft offense early? "I don’t know enough about the college players to tell you that. But I know we’re not going to take a lesser player because he plays on offense over a guy who plays on defense, because of the two teams you just talked about. "

[b]* Is defense the [/b]way to get to the level of the Ravens and Steelers: "We better be as strong as them on defense, but we’ve got to figure out a way to score. I think that’s important."

[b]*What Sunday's game [/b]is going to come down to: "Arizona taking care of the football and being able to stop Pittsburgh from making those plays that they make. Those chunk plays that they always come up with. So can Arizona keep ahold of the football and not turn it over, make positive plays. They beat them last year, a year ago, so it’s not like they don’t feel confident about it."

[b]* Arizona is in [/b]the Super Bowl and Miami went from 1-15 to the playoffs, is that the nature of the league? "The difference in Miami is a year ago they went through five or six running backs, they had a lot of injuries, they were with a draft pick at quarterback, they went through two or three quarterbacks. They never seemed to settle in on defense, they lost a corner, they lost four, five safties. They lost some players last year through injury. This year they were a relatively healthy team and that makes a big difference. Obviously the backs made an impact, they did some things offensively that made an impact and they played great defense. That made a big difference for them. You look at Arizona, they came out this year and made plays on offense and they had one dip against the Jets, but they didn’t have that season where they went up and down until they basically had (the division) captured. They played more consistent. When we looked at them and played them two years ago, they were up one week and down the next, but you knew they could be explosive on offense and they could gap you and make plays on you. What it tells you, for me, what it tells you, and hopefully it shows our football team, fans and everyone here that you’ve got to go make football plays.[i] It doesn’t have anything to do with history or this or that, you’ve got to make football plays. Your good players have to go play good and win the game for you. Your average players can’t get you beat and that’s what it’s all about."[/i]

Do you think your good players can have done that?

"No, I don’t. I think some of our better players have not played up to the standard they need to play to. When you have injuries, that means other guys have to rise up and play better. You can’t play the same. You’ve got to go play better. That’s what good teams do. [i]I think we have fought through mediocrity, because when mediocre people have mediocre success, they feel like they’ve done more than they’ve really done.[/i] Ever since the Gatorade in Detroit..."

You were 3-0 to start the next season in 2006...

"Then everything got big and everyone felt like they had the answers and they were the reason. Then there was the Cleveland game when we got a lot of guys injured and we spiraled downward. We lost four guys in that game."

[b]* Are they washing [/b]players out, getting rid of people they don't want? "You have to wash guys out. We’ve begun the process. The process will continue. That’s what I said all year long, I liked our football team, because I know the guys we finished with played hard and they continued to play hard. Unfortunately we had to keep adding guys to that mix, but we added the right guys. We added guys who had that mindset that we started with in 03, they were going to play hard, practice, be out there and do it."

[b]* What is it [/b]you see about that core that you like? "You watch what guys do and how they work and how they go about their business and how important it is to them. It’s not anything to do with how much I make, or that guy makes or the guy down the road makes. It’s what can I do to win games, how do I become a better play, what can I do to help us win football games. That’s the essence of a great player in the NFL."

"You watch how guys go about their work, how they show up to work every day, how they work in the weight room, how they bus their trays, how they work as a pro, how they do the things the right way. How they approach those things."

[url="http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2009/01/28/more_from_marvin"]http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2009/01...ore_from_marvin[/url]

I think both TJ and Shayne are gone if the tag doesn't happen. I would almost bet on it.

[quote]Same coaches? It's what any team would want: Continuity[/quote] = What good is continuity, if that continuity doesn't produce satisfactory results? You just keep the same sub par piece in the machine. It's like having a corvette with a chevette motor in it. Then thinking "well it gets me to where I need to go, so why mess with it?"
Ask the Ravens, Falcons, Dolphins how the continuity worked this year. They seem to have done all right the first year on the job. Hell even ask Zimmer.
I think he is fo sho going to bat for Brat in this case. If he truly felt that way, why has he gone through 3 DCs in 6 years?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='742970' date='Jan 28 2009, 09:04 PM'][b]ya know.. tagging graham isnt a terrible idea...[/b]

we are goin to pay him probably more than the average of the top 5 at his position anyway.. so why not tag.. unless its needed for tj or something..

not like a kicker tag is 8 mil or anything.. it would be like 2.5-3 mil..

i like this more and more as i talk about it..

if we dont need it elsewhere, and he doesnt want to sign.. tag em... its the most cost effective place to waste the tag...[/quote]
Only if TJ is already signed.

I think he will/would play a greater role in getting us back to the playoffs than Graham. If we can lock him up but can't reach an agreement with Shayne its not a bad idea to tag him...but if we tagged him and TJ walked thats a fail, because at the very least we can get a valuable pick for TJ by taggin and trading him.

I'd probably be more in favor of taggin Benson than Graham if agreements couldn't be reached with either cause I think, again, he'll be a bigger reason why we get back to the playoffs than Shayne. But I'm probably in the minority there.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='742980' date='Jan 28 2009, 08:36 PM']All I'm saying is that I've heard is that they like it 'here' at different times (with TJ it was even recently). Do they want to play elsewhere regardless? Who knows.

Are you being kind of an ass in this instance? [b]Oops, there I go asking questions that I already know the answer to[/b].[/quote]
:lol:

From Paul Daugherty's blog . . .

[quote][size=5][b]The Thursday Morning Line[/b][/size]
Posted 1/29/2009 8:27 AM EST on Cincinnati.com

I wish we could order a moratorium on all Things Bengal between January and September. Don't they irritate us enough during the season? I'd love to ignore them, but they make it impossible. Take yesterday, for example. Marvin Lewis says what the Bengals really need is continuity. How come? To preserve the awe-inspiring achievements of the previous six years? To keep the good times rolling?

Coaches have come and gone like sunrises this offseason. Teams are always looking for better, smarter people. (Except one.) The only Bengals coach even mentioned for a promotion has been QB coach Ken Zampese. Is that because the current Bengals assistants are masters of their domain?

Lewis also says the '08 club "fought through mediocrity.'' To reach what? I guess someone needs to define mediocrity in the NFL for me, because my interpretation of it is something greater than 4-11-1. If the Bengals attained mediocrity and, you know, maintained it, we'd be naming streets for them.

The coach also declared the same old stuff about how his players need to be more disciplined, focused, accountable. They have to finish plays. No kidding.

Watching the Bengals and listening to their coach and, very occasionally, their owner, makes you feel like you're in a time warp that started in 1991 and continues, unabated. Makes me wanna take my meds and lie down in a cool place. TML's advice to you: Get a copy of the Elvis Costello tune, Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes. Listen for this line: "I used to be disgusted/now I try to be amused.''

Who knew Costello was a Bengals fan?

Now then.

UC wins last night and for the first time, looked like a team. Mick is more comfortable with his players and what they can do. Huge surprise is Rashad Bishop, who had 9 assists last night. Between now and March 1, the schedule gets hard and stays that way, so we'll see. But progress is being made.

Meanwhile, Xavier routs another MCC, er A-10, foe. Like picking the wings off flies.

Radio tonight: Efforting Mick, or BJ Raymond... Jerry Crasnick from ESPN.com, to talk about Junior, Dunn, Reds and Joe Torre... draft guru Jerry Jones...

Dan Rooney is Still God: [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/28/AR2009012803393_2.html?sid=ST2009012804063&s_pos="]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...4063&s_pos=[/url]

One thing few point out. Rooney knows when to let stars go. He keeps guys like Faneca and Lake and Chad Brown until he figures they've peaked. One of the few Stillers who has maintained a Pro Bowl level after leaving Pittsburgh has been Joey Porter. But Rooney had James Harrison waiting.

Live big, Gayle Sierens. Tell me who she is, win fabulous prizes.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=c77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3Post%3a84475b0d-06d3-4190-8b92-df67a36a5ef1&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='743240' date='Jan 30 2009, 06:33 AM']From Paul Daugherty's blog . . .

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=c77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3Post%3a84475b0d-06d3-4190-8b92-df67a36a5ef1&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com[/url][/quote]

Doc needs to just go ahead and slit his fucking wrists and put himself out of his (and my) misery. <_<

Archived