Baptist pastor beaten and tazed by Border Patrol

CTBengalsFan

Here's the other problem I have with letting cops go through my car:

[url="http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/tv/stories/DN-fakedrugs_19met.ART.North.Edition1.42e1306.html"]http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n1.42e1306.html[/url]

[quote]The second Dallas police officer tried for wrongdoing in the Dallas Police Department's fake-drug scandal was found guilty Friday night by a jury. State District Judge Susan Hawk then sentenced Jeffrey Haywood to two years' probation.

More than two-dozen people were falsely arrested when paid Dallas police informants planted what was said to be drugs. Many of those arrested, most of whom were Hispanic immigrants, went to jail.

Another former officer, Mark Delapaz, was also convicted in connection with the scandal. Two other officers' cases are pending.

Prosecutors David Alex and Heath Harris argued that Mr. Haywood lied in a police report when he said he field-tested a substance believed to be 7 kilograms of cocaine when it was seized in May 2001. The substance turned out to be [b]pool chalk mixed with a minute amount of cocaine.[/b]

In closing arguments Friday before a packed courtroom, Mr. Alex told jurors they must find Mr. Haywood guilty to avoid becoming part of the problem.

Mr. Alex said a not guilty verdict would mean "you're starting on that road to helping him cover it up."

Jurors debated for a little over two hours before reaching a decision. They had been sequestered since Tuesday.

Prosecutors said Mr. Haywood should have been a "gatekeeper" and not looked the other way. Prosecutors told Judge Hawk they were not asking her to send Mr. Haywood to prison but that they did want him to spend four days in jail – the same time as the man arrested in the case.

"He lied and he dishonored himself, and he dishonored those people over there," Mr. Alex said, pointing at Dallas officers in the courtroom.

Defense attorneys Kirk Lechtenberger and George Milner III told jurors that Mr. Haywood tested the substance. They said the substance could have been tested by unwrapping the package or by testing powder on the outside. They argued that even a small amount of cocaine would show a positive result.

Mr. Lechtenberger called the state's case a mixture of "supposition, guesswork, innuendo and smear campaign."

An investigation blamed poor supervision within the police department for the fake-drug scandal. Numerous policy changes have been made since that investigation.

Mr. Haywood was found guilty of tampering with evidence, which is punishable by two to 10 years in prison. The judge sentenced him to five years in prison but probated that sentence to two years.

He had left the Dallas Police Department to become an air marshal when he was indicted.

According to testimony, investigators tried to get Mr. Haywood to talk about wrongdoing by Mr. Delapaz so he could possibly avoid indictment. Mr. Delapaz – not Mr. Haywood – was the focus of the initial investigation.

Mr. Delapaz was convicted in 2005 of lying to a judge while obtaining a search warrant in the scandal. He was also convicted of stealing money while working as a narcotics officer.

Prosecutors charged that Mr. Delapaz was motivated to steal because he had $60,000 in credit-card debt and presented evidence that he forged paperwork and skimmed some of the more than $400,000 in police money that passed through his hands in 2001.[/quote]

So what if instead of you being beaten, you get the officers who want to throw chalk in your car, say it's cocaine then seize your car and maybe your house while your ass is sitting in jail?

The 4th amendment is not that complicated and it is there for a reason:

[quote]The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[/quote]

[quote name='sois' post='765398' date='Apr 20 2009, 01:51 AM']I drove through two of these border patrol stations last week. They ask simple questions and don't get suspicious unless you are doing something dumb. All he had to to was humor the cop. It seems boring out there. They're human too. Once the guy started acting like a d-bag, the cops decided to be pricks as well.

[color="#FF0000"]I'm glad he got his ass beat.[/color][/quote]

wow..

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='765535' date='Apr 20 2009, 02:25 PM']Boy, you'd fit right in in China.[/quote]

I kind of like China. They have cool rules like "one child per family". That kind of thing is a good idea as well. I guess logic doesn't work for all people.

psi chien

[quote name='sois' post='765539' date='Apr 20 2009, 04:31 PM']I kind of like China. They have cool rules like "one child per family". That kind of thing is a good idea as well. I guess logic doesn't work for all people.

psi chien[/quote]

I hope I'm just failing to detect sarcasm over the internet. I really, really hope we don't have people who look at that policy and think "oh yeah, that's a great idea."

Humanity has gone through a struggle against tyranny basically since we've been able to communicate with each other. It's only recently where, in select parts of the globe, tyranny hasn't been the norm, maybe for half a century or longer. And people, like sois if he's being serious, have completely taken it for granted and can't see the forest for the trees as our liberties erode away.

Our Founding Fathers didn't envision bloated Federal agencies harassing its citizenry, and like I said, if you think the dangers to this country are greater today than they were back then, you haven't followed history very well.

I'm not really kidding. There are too many people on this planet. I like China's one child policy. There are too many stupid people having kids. Sorry, that's the truth. Watch Idiocracy. Having kids is kind of dumb when there are so many out there starving and shit. I don't see what's wrong with the idea. Convince me otherwise; I'm easily swayed.

[quote name='steggyD' post='765567' date='Apr 20 2009, 05:25 PM']Damn, I would've broken the law on my first shot, when my wife had twins. Hopefully, by stupid people having kids, I hope you mean that you aren't having any.[/quote]

That's not very nice.

I don't have any, may adopt one some day when I am financially stable to do so.

Sois... You believe that after the first child, and you accidently get pregnant again, the government should perform a state ordered abortion?

Or do you think that the government has the right to either tie a woman's tubes, snip a man, to both, in order to make sure that the one child policy stays in effect?

Sorry bud but that policy is insane. I want to call it Communism, or Facism but you know what, lets just say I think it is evil is fuck. Hopefully you just haven't thought it all the way through...

As far as the video, I mean you all are arguing b/c you are both right.. Dude was stupid for not answering the questions, apparently he wouldn't even lower his windows if he had them broken out but shouldn't have had his head rubbed on the ground either, nor if true had his windows knocked out. The checkpoints are there to catch people that act suspicious, and i think he seemed that way. Although if half of his story is true, I hope all three of those guards are fired and punished.

Now back to my cave everyone :)

Does China do state ordered abortions? If so, I don't support that aspect of the idea. I do think that a conscious effort to keep the population from exploding would be a good thing. I guess I'm more in favor of a stigma than a law. Right now, people have kids with no thought as to how they will support the child or how to raise it with a good chance to succeed.

I've watched too many Judge Alex episodes this month that have could have been avoided if the people just didn't have children to begin with. Right now people think that they are incomplete if they don't have kids. People think there is something wrong with me because I don't have any. It's a big shock and awe to my mexican family that I am 29 and childless. I just tell them I have a narrow urethra.

/hank hill

I think I recall that China does in fact have state-sponsored abortions, which is just plain wrong. However, I partially agree with sois WRT to China having the "one child per family" as a general [i]goal[/i], but not as an enforcable [i]rule[/i]. China has waaayyy too many people and even with their booming economy they cannot feed them all. I mean shit, one quarter of the world's population is in one fucking country?

But since China likely has state-sponsored (forced) abortions, this is all moot anyway.

I do agree that there are too many ignorant people spawning more ignorance, but how in the hell do you regulate that and maintain a shred of humanity?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='765590' date='Apr 20 2009, 06:20 PM']I do agree that there are too many ignorant people spawning more ignorance, but how in the hell do you regulate that and maintain a shred of humanity?[/quote]

I guess you just have to make it shameful. Humans (especially Americans) care about what others think. If you make having a ton of kids really shameful, then people will desire less. I think Octomom is working on this for us ;)

[quote name='sois' post='765583' date='Apr 20 2009, 06:53 PM']Does China do state ordered abortions? If so, I don't support that aspect of the idea. I do think that a conscious effort to keep the population from exploding would be a good thing. I guess I'm more in favor of a stigma than a law. Right now, people have kids with no thought as to how they will support the child or how to raise it with a good chance to succeed.

I've watched too many Judge Alex episodes this month that have could have been avoided if the people just didn't have children to begin with. Right now people think that they are incomplete if they don't have kids. People think there is something wrong with me because I don't have any. [b]It's a big shock and awe to my mexican family that I am 29 and childless. I just tell them I have a narrow urethra.
[/b]
/hank hill[/quote]

:rofl:

Wow, you know what I think? The world doesn't revolve around Americans and what they perceive as morally right. If China wants to force abortions then more power to them. I'd rather there be forced abortions than some woman plopping out 5-6 kids and living on welfare with the childrens futures already having the odds stacked against them.

My wife and I tried to have a child and it didn't happen. No sweat off my ass. I'm actually kind of glad. I'll admit, I'm selfish. I want my money to go towards things that I want like guitars etc... I do not envy anyone that has children. If you do, good for you, God bless, but I'm not envious at all.
MULLY

[quote name='sois' post='765599' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:30 AM']I guess you just have to make it shameful. Humans (especially Americans) care about what others think. If you make having a ton of kids really shameful, then people will desire less. I think Octomom is working on this for us ;)[/quote]

Americans care what others think? Standards are pretty low then.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='765624' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:30 PM']Wow, you know what I think? The world doesn't revolve around Americans and what they perceive as morally right. If China wants to force abortions then more power to them. I'd rather there be forced abortions than some woman plopping out 5-6 kids and living on welfare with the childrens futures already having the odds stacked against them.

My wife and I tried to have a child and it didn't happen. No sweat off my ass. I'm actually kind of glad. I'll admit, I'm selfish. I want my money to go towards things that I want like guitars etc... [b]I do not envy anyone that has children. If you do, good for you, God bless, but I'm not envious at all.[/b]
MULLY

Americans care what others think? Standards are pretty low then.
MULLY[/quote]

Tabernacle...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='765625' date='Apr 21 2009, 10:34 AM']Tabernacle...[/quote]

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't think people are fucked up for having kids, more power to 'em if that's what floats their boat. I just don't feel it necessary for myself. I don't feel that there is an empty space in my life because I don't have any kids. Also, when I see a parent with a screaming kid in a store or hear one of my friends say "I can't make it, gotta watch the kids" etc... No thanks. Like I said, we tried and it didn't happen. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.
MULLY

Exactly, people are so concerned with population, but look at all industrialized nations, there's a negative birth rate. The only reason the U.S. population is expanding is because of immigration, but populations like Japan are going to be shrinking.

If we want Indian/Chinese people to slow down their population growth, help them become middle class. They'll stop having 8 kids.

I guess forced sterilization is easier though. -_-

I forgot where I saw it, but estimates are that the world's population will peak at 9 billion where replacement rates will slow down.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='765636' date='Apr 20 2009, 10:13 PM']If we want Indian/Chinese people to slow down their population growth, help them become middle class. They'll stop having 8 kids.[/quote]

Hmm. I never thought to look at the problem that way. That is really good man, +1.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='765624' date='Apr 20 2009, 09:30 PM']Wow, you know what I think? The world doesn't revolve around Americans and what they perceive as morally right. If China wants to force abortions then more power to them. I'd rather there be forced abortions than some woman plopping out 5-6 kids and living on welfare with the childrens futures already having the odds stacked against them.

My wife and I tried to have a child and it didn't happen. No sweat off my ass. I'm actually kind of glad. I'll admit, I'm selfish. I want my money to go towards things that I want like guitars etc... [b]I do not envy anyone that has children. If you do, good for you, God bless, but I'm not envious at all.[/b]
MULLY

[b]Americans care what others think? Standards are pretty low then.[/b]
MULLY[/quote]

I have 4... but I don't think I was trying to make you, or anybody else that doesn't have kids, envious... you enjoy guitars, etc. I enjoy going to little league games (IMO, there is nothing better than little league baseball games!!!), etc. to each his own. Not quite sure where this topic went to getting all upright about having not having kids and being envious, etc. Just didn't understand where this topic went to a diatribe by MULLY about not being envious of people with kids... maybe that needs to be another topic???

As for Americans caring what others think... I agree 100%. But, that is exactly what liberals want to use as the gauge. What do Europeans think about x? What does the Middle East think about y? What the hell do I care? I don't live there. I care about what Americans think... the smart ones anyway!

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='765697' date='Apr 21 2009, 10:01 AM']I have 4... but I don't think I was trying to make you, or anybody else that doesn't have kids, envious... you enjoy guitars, etc. I enjoy going to little league games (IMO, there is nothing better than little league baseball games!!!), etc. to each his own. Not quite sure where this topic went to getting all upright about having not having kids and being envious, etc. Just didn't understand where this topic went to a diatribe by MULLY about not being envious of people with kids... maybe that needs to be another topic???

As for Americans caring what others think... I agree 100%. But, that is exactly what liberals want to use as the gauge. What do Europeans think about x? What does the Middle East think about y? What the hell do I care? I don't live there. I care about what Americans think... the smart ones anyway![/quote]

I care to a point because we have to live in the world with them.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='765697' date='Apr 21 2009, 11:01 PM']I have 4... but I don't think I was trying to make you, or anybody else that doesn't have kids, envious... you enjoy guitars, etc. I enjoy going to little league games (IMO, there is nothing better than little league baseball games!!!), etc. to each his own. Not quite sure where this topic went to getting all upright about having not having kids and being envious, etc. Just didn't understand where this topic went to a diatribe by MULLY about not being envious of people with kids... maybe that needs to be another topic???[/quote]

Pretty natural progression if you ask me. Read through the posts you can see it getting to there. As for my diatribe about it, I only said it like that because when I said I didn't care that I don't have any kids I really didn't want to get a reply like "You don't know what you're missing" yada yada. I'm 41 years old, I have friends all around me with kids. I teach elementary, jr high and high school. I know exactly what I'm missing. Again, someone enjoys having kids, great. I just don't see what the big deal is if someone doesn't have kids. Why do parents always expect grandkids and continuously bring it up? My wife's father used to bitch and bitch and bitch about us not having kids until one day I finally had enough and I told him we'd be more than happy to have a kid for him if he's willing to financially support the child 100%, come over and change diapers at 3 in the morning etc... etc... Hasn't been much baby talk since then.
MULLY
I don't even remember what the original topic was. HAHAHAHA!!!!

My take:

Laws about how many children you can have - bad

General goal/stigma to limit reproduction - good (probably comes from real education though not things like "condoms don't help population control"

Helping to raise other countries out of poverty - good/rational plan to help bring down the population, lets get started

Pandemic disease outbreak - far more likely and effective tool for population control.

Its only a matter of time people, hold tight and hope its not you, but we're long over due for a horrible airborne or waterborne viral disease outbreak to wipe out a good 1/4 of the worlds population. India and China are prime candidates for this to happen.

Archived