Who's out at WR for Bengals?

[quote][size=5][url="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-511/Who-s-out-at-WR-for-Bengals-.html"]Who's out at WR for Bengals?[/url][/size]

May 11, 2009 4:00 PM

[i]Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker[/i]

Who will be the odd man out at receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals?The Bengals have 11 players at the position vying for a limited number of spots on Cincinnati's 53-man roster. Most NFL teams will keep about five receivers active in the fall.

Laveranues Coles and Chad Ocho Cinco are locks as starters. That likely leaves three active roster spots for eight remaining receivers.

Chris Henry, Andre Caldwell, Jerome Simpson and Antonio Chatman played last year and have to be among the favorites. Chatman could be on thin ice this summer or latch on as a sixth receiver because of his return skills. But the Bengals may need that roster spot and look elsewhere for help on special teams.

Chatman cannot be retained on the practice squad because of his seven years of NFL experience, so he might fall victim to the the numbers game.

A young, inexperienced group of Quan Cosby, Maurice Purify and Mario Urrutia are behind them and will have an uphill climb. But if any of these players has an outstanding camp, perhaps Cosby, it could force another difficult decision at receiver for Cincinnati's coaching staff down the road.

Crowded field

The Bengals have 11 receivers most likely fighting for five roster spots.

Player, Experience

• Chad Ocho Cinco: 9 seasons

• Laveranues Coles: 10

• Chris Henry: 5

• Andre Caldwell: 2

• Jerome Simpson: 2

• Antonio Chatman: 7

• Quan Cosby: rookie

• Mario Urrutia: 1

• Maurice Purify: 1

• David Richmond: rookie

• Greg Orton: rookie[/quote]

[url="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-511/Who-s-out-at-WR-for-Bengals-.html"]http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-51...r-Bengals-.html[/url]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='775482' date='May 11 2009, 10:40 PM']especially with potential return man in cladwell or cosby, we probably keep 6 active WR's..[/quote]
yeah...someones make the squad who can return. Caldwell has some experience but I hope they keep, besides the obvious, Henry-Simpson-Caldwell-Cosby

[quote name='GoBengals' post='775482' date='May 11 2009, 07:40 PM']especially with potential return man in cladwell or cosby, we probably keep 6 active WR's..[/quote]

So that's seven on the roster then? Didn't we keep Chad, TJ, Henry, Caldwell, Simpson, Chatman and Holt last year?

It seems he's in one moment talking about who makes the 53 man roster versus who is active on game day.

Oh well I should be happy there weren't any snide remarks in the article.

[quote name='Oldcat' post='775491' date='May 11 2009, 10:52 PM']So that's seven on the roster then? Didn't we keep Chad, TJ, Henry, Caldwell, Simpson, Chatman and Holt last year?

It seems he's in one moment talking about who makes the 53 man roster versus who is active on game day.

Oh well I should be happy there weren't any snide remarks in the article.[/quote]

I don't know if we had all those guys at the same time though. I know at different points, some of those guys were injured, suspended, etc.

I think we usually only keep 6 WRs and I bet its the same this year. My guess is that Chad, TJ, Henry, Caldwell and Simpson are pretty much locks and that there is one spot left. The top 2 candidates in my opinion are Cosby and Chatman because they can both return punts. I'm pretty sure that Caldwell is just a kick returner and not a punt guy.

[quote name='happyrid' post='775493' date='May 11 2009, 07:58 PM']I don't know if we had all those guys at the same time though. I know at different points, some of those guys were injured, suspended, etc.

I think we usually only keep 6 WRs and I bet its the same this year. My guess is that Chad, TJ, Henry, Caldwell and Simpson are pretty much locks and that there is one spot left. The top 2 candidates in my opinion are Cosby and Chatman because they can both return punts. I'm pretty sure that Caldwell is just a kick returner and not a punt guy.[/quote]

Pretty sure you mean Coles not TJ.

But yes, if you aren't in the top three, you better find a home on special teams if you want to make the team and especially suit up
Outside of the top three any others will be special teamers or will be redshirted like Simpson was. And Simpson has to find his way into
the lineup somewhere this year. Even if its as a gunner.

Well I think Chad, Coles and Henry are clearly safe. Caldwell came on last year and can return kicks so he'll stick, and I doubt seriously we are dumping Simpson after one year. I think the real battle is Crosby and Chatman and it'll be who returns punts better. Of course that could all changes if they still wound up trading chad (I know it's unlikely, but....)

[quote name='ccartman2' post='775504' date='May 11 2009, 11:28 PM']Well I think Chad, Coles and Henry are clearly safe. Caldwell came on last year and can return kicks so he'll stick, and I doubt seriously we are dumping Simpson after one year. I think the real battle is Crosby and Chatman and it'll be who returns punts better. Of course that could all changes if they still wound up trading chad (I know it's unlikely, but....)[/quote]

You summed it up nicely and precisely imo.....

thats how it will probably play out ... ( I really dont see Ocho Stinko leaving )....

[quote name='happyrid' post='775494' date='May 11 2009, 08:00 PM']Also, how does he not have the guy we drafted from Utah? He has a couple undrafted guys but not even a guy we drafted? Shoddy journalism.[/quote]

what do expect from someone who lives and breathes stealer football? dude couldn't give two flying flips about any other team in the nfl.

[quote name='happyrid' post='775494' date='May 11 2009, 11:00 PM']Also, how does he not have the guy we drafted from Utah? He has a couple undrafted guys but not even a guy we drafted? Shoddy journalism.[/quote]

Technically...Brown is not on the roster. He hasn't signed yet. Cosby has.

I agree it is shortsighted (and Shoddy). Although I would imagine he simply looked at the roster to get the list of names.

[quote name='whodey1971' post='775532' date='May 12 2009, 09:33 AM']Technically...Brown is not on the roster. He hasn't signed yet. Cosby has.

I agree it is shortsighted (and Shoddy). Although I would imagine he simply looked at the roster to get the list of names.[/quote]

"When a player is drafted, the club technically tenders the player a 1-year contract for the salary minimum of a player with 0 minimum salary credits (in 2009, this amount is $310,000). So all draft picks with the exception of Matt Stafford, have P5 salary amounts of $310,000 right now; until they negotiate their real contract. Without these rookie tenders, the player would not be contractually attached to the team."

[url="http://insidethecap.blogspot.com/"]http://insidethecap.blogspot.com/[/url]

So technically Brown is on the roster.

[quote name='happyrid' post='775494' date='May 11 2009, 10:00 PM']Also, how does he not have the guy we drafted from Utah? He has a couple undrafted guys but not even a guy we drafted? Shoddy journalism.[/quote]

X2 ....At a minimum he could make the practice squad . Freddie Brown ain't chopped liver. Definitely not a burner but at 6'3" he could be a find at the slot receiver position. Very impressive college receiver .

[quote name='bearcat7777' post='775543' date='May 12 2009, 10:27 AM']"When a player is drafted, the club technically tenders the player a 1-year contract for the salary minimum of a player with 0 minimum salary credits (in 2009, this amount is $310,000). So all draft picks with the exception of Matt Stafford, have P5 salary amounts of $310,000 right now; until they negotiate their real contract. Without these rookie tenders, the player would not be contractually attached to the team."

[url="http://insidethecap.blogspot.com/"]http://insidethecap.blogspot.com/[/url]

So technically Brown is on the roster.[/quote]

You are missing my point...

Go to Bengals.com and check out the roster. He is not on it. Neither is Smith, Maualuga, Johnson, etc... none of them have signed, and they are not included on ther roster that is available to the public.

If you are writing a story about a team you don't follow very closely, it is reasonable (if you allow for laziness) to expect someone would go to the roster that is published...find the 11 or so names that have a shot of making the roster...and do an analysis. It may not occur to them to see who the club might have selected with their second supplementary pick in the 7th round.

[quote name='whodey1971' post='775560' date='May 12 2009, 08:42 AM']You are missing my point...

Go to Bengals.com and check out the roster. He is not on it. Neither is Smith, Maualuga, Johnson, etc... none of them have signed, and they are not included on ther roster that is available to the public.

If you are writing a story about a team you don't follow very closely, it is reasonable (if you allow for laziness) to expect someone would go to the roster that is published...find the 11 or so names that have a shot of making the roster...and do an analysis. It may not occur to them to see who the club might have selected with their second supplementary pick in the 7th round.[/quote]

I guess Walker's research consists of seeing who Hobson has written a roundup on.

I think it's possible the team carries only 5 receivers and 5 RBs instead of 6 and 4. If the punt returner is Bernard Scott instead of Cosby, that makes it more likely. If we do carry 5 RBs, it might be something like Benson, Leonard, Scott, Fui, and Pressley. Receivers could be Chad, Coles, Henry, Caldwell, and Simpson. Returners could be Caldwell on kickoffs, and Scott (or even the safety from Illinois State) handling punts.

[quote name='sparky151' post='775616' date='May 12 2009, 11:12 AM']I think it's possible the team carries only 5 receivers and 5 RBs instead of 6 and 4. If the punt returner is Bernard Scott instead of Cosby, that makes it more likely. If we do carry 5 RBs, it might be something like Benson, Leonard, Scott, Fui, and Pressley. Receivers could be Chad, Coles, Henry, Caldwell, and Simpson. Returners could be Caldwell on kickoffs, and Scott (or even the safety from Illinois State) handling punts.[/quote]

I looked up the roster composition in several of the weekly bulletins for last year. The team had 6 WR on the 53 early in the year (Henry suspended), then 7 when he returned. When Chatman went down, we stayed with 6.

So presumably going short 1 at WR we would have 6 on the roster and the punt returner being an extra at whatever position he plays.

[quote name='bearcat7777' post='775543' date='May 12 2009, 10:27 AM']"When a player is drafted, the club technically tenders the player a 1-year contract for the salary minimum of a player with 0 minimum salary credits (in 2009, this amount is $310,000). So all draft picks with the exception of Matt Stafford, have P5 salary amounts of $310,000 right now; until they negotiate their real contract. Without these rookie tenders, the player would not be contractually attached to the team."

So technically Brown is on the roster.[/quote]

hmmm, never heard that before. good stuff.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='775636' date='May 12 2009, 02:56 PM'][b]Cosby is overrated just because he played a a big name school in some big games.[/b] He just isn't fast enough to be 5'9" in the NFL.

Freddie Brown has much more NFL potential than Cosby.[/quote]

The guy didn't get drafted I don't think he's overrated. I doubt either make the team

[quote name='bubba' post='775690' date='May 12 2009, 06:34 PM']The guy didn't get drafted I don't think he's overrated. I doubt either make the team[/quote]
He seems to be overrated by people on this board. At least that's the impression I get from reading here.

There's no way a healthy Chatman doesn't beat out Theo...I mean, Quan Cosby.

[quote name='PakMan' post='775695' date='May 12 2009, 06:45 PM']He seems to be overrated by people on this board. At least that's the impression I get from reading here.

There's no way a [b]healthy Chatman[/b] doesn't beat out Theo...I mean, Quan Cosby.[/quote]

Well, looks like Cosby makes the team, now doesn't it... ?

Archived