Goodell is such a douche

MULLY

Gotta say, this is wonderful entertainment.

Can someone clarify: Does the NFL really need to give a reason for not allowing RL to buy a stake in an NFL team? I figure perhaps so, but only because of the NFL's antitrust exemption?

With the upstart league in town, maybe the exemption becomes redundant/unnecessary? :ninja:

[quote name='#22' date='03 November 2009 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1257306995' post='822866']
I'm probably not going to spend the remainder of my evening arguing different perceptions of what Rush has said in the past, but I'll leave with this.

Why "Skill Positions?"
How in the fuck do you get the Mafia out of this? It's pretty clear to all but the most jaded of dittoheads that he is using racial context.

Also, who could forget this gem:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfxVkLhlu5s[/media]fuck, man!
[/quote]

I guess that means Carson Palmer is black?

Kevin Walter is black?

Chase Coffman is black?

Todd Heap is black?

Kevin Curtis is black?

Chris Collinsworth is black?

Any white player who has ever played a skill position in the NFL is black?

Really? That is your argument?

[quote name='#22' date='03 November 2009 - 08:17 PM' timestamp='1257293865' post='822801']
Do you think that what Limbaugh said about black coaches and quarterbacks was true? I guess what he said wasn't racists in and of itself, but there is a lot implied in "I think what we’ve had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well."

That statement reflects the worldview of a man who shouldn't be allowed to own an NFL team.

and yeah, Gooddell stammered and stuttered because he wasn't going to say "Having Rush Limbaugh associated with the league would cost us money because Rush Limbaugh says stupid shit"
[/quote]

He could've just declined comment until there was an actual bid.

[quote name='#22' date='03 November 2009 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1257292552' post='822788']
Also, does Rush have the business sense to run an NFL team? He isn't college educated, you know.
[/quote]

He has a huge broadcasting business that affords him to make a bid as partial owner. I don't know what a college degree has to do with it. A college degree doesn't automatically instill good business judgement. And besides, nobody's interested in if he would actually do a good job. They're more hung up on a couple things he said. Maybe they should just start canning coaches and players for making controversial comments publicly. That would be smart. Or not let controversial college players enter the draft. Goodell's high standards apply to a controversial talk show host, but he'll let any college player enter the draft. Even if there's footage of a player repeatedly swinging his helmet at a defenseless opposing player on the ground. High standards, my ass.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='04 November 2009 - 06:40 AM' timestamp='1257331202' post='822893']
Kevin Walter is black?

Chase Coffman is black?

Kevin Curtis is black?

Chris Collinsworth is black?

Any white player who has ever played a skill position in the NFL is black?

Really? That is your argument?
[/quote]
Are you really that fucking obtuse!?

Skill positions are Runningback and Wide Receiver. It is cute that you had to really go out of your way to find white Wide Receivers in there, though. I guess Brian Leonard couldn't cut the mustard, huh?

Try and seriously explain to me why didn't Rush just say that LT and Marvin Harrison were two of the classiest guys in football. He is good at one thing it seems: being just vague enough to mean that his loyal acolytes can always find some tenuous non-offensive explanation.

This kind of backhanded racism and the use of a code word is something that one of my grandparents would try, though.

[quote name='#22' date='04 November 2009 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1257350884' post='822942']
Are you really that fucking obtuse!?

Skill positions are Runningback and Wide Receiver. It is cute that you had to really go out of your way to find white Wide Receivers in there, though. I guess Brian Leonard couldn't cut the mustard, huh?

Try and seriously explain to me why didn't Rush just say that LT and Marvin Harrison were two of the classiest guys in football. He is good at one thing it seems: being just vague enough to mean that his loyal acolytes can always find some tenuous non-offensive explanation.

This kind of backhanded racism and the use of a code word is something that one of my grandparents would try, though.
[/quote]

But you and countless others don't seem to have a problem with taking his vague statements and assuming it's racist.

[quote name='#22' date='04 November 2009 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1257351610' post='822948']
ugh....Why didn't he just say that LT and Marvin Harrison were two of the classiest guys in football?
[/quote]

Because he thought they were two of the classiest guys in skilled positions, which consists of whites and blacks. That's crazy to think that "skill positions" is code for blacks. Some people just want to be offended, especially by Rush.

By the way when has industry ever cared about freedom? be it the NFL or banking industry ect..ect..

I take their side on this one, Rush exsits solely for the purpose of creating controversy and its not something the NFL needs.

Also what did Fergi and J-Lo say about the CIA?

I'll stick with what Keith Olbermann said about this.

"If Limbaugh wants to flush his money down the toilet by investing in the Rams, far be it from me to stop him."

The NFL is far from a beacon of integrity so it's pretty laughable that Goodell or any of the other owners would claim otherwise. They were simply trying to avoid the negative PR that would come with having Limbaugh as an owner, which I think is understandable to some extent. I think they were also afraid of angering the large majority of the league's players who are black and hate Limbaugh.

[quote name='#22' date='04 November 2009 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1257351610' post='822948']
ugh....Why didn't he just say that LT and Marvin Harrison were two of the classiest guys in football?
[/quote]

Did he really say those 2? That is kind of funny because Marvin Harrison didnt get along with most of his teammates thats why he cant get any team to sign him. He was also considered one of the dirtier players in the game.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='04 November 2009 - 01:34 PM' timestamp='1257356059' post='822965']
Bhite me
[/quote]

hahahahahaah

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='04 November 2009 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1257388829' post='823084']
Did he really say those 2? That is kind of funny because Marvin Harrison didnt get along with most of his teammates thats why he cant get any team to sign him. He was also considered one of the dirtier players in the game.

hahahahahaah
[/quote]

You know bung changed it as a joke right?

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' date='04 November 2009 - 04:47 PM' timestamp='1257367632' post='823017']
I'll stick with what Keith Olbermann said about this.

"If Limbaugh wants to flush his money down the toilet by investing in the Rams, far be it from me to stop him."

The NFL is far from a beacon of integrity so it's pretty laughable that Goodell or any of the other owners would claim otherwise. They were simply trying to avoid the negative PR that would come with having Limbaugh as an owner, which I think is understandable to some extent. I think they were also afraid of angering the large majority of the league's players who are black and hate Limbaugh.
[/quote]

You nailed it. People on here and through out the league are falling all over themselves to justify why Rush shouldn't be involved with an NFL team, when the truth is that they think he shouldn't because they hate the man. Pussy Goodell is being muscled by people who want Rush out based on pure hate. If Goodell wants to avoid controversy, why did he re-instate Vick without batting an eye? Because he was muscled there too. It's ironic that Sharpton was going after Rush after pleading with animal rights activists to leave Vick alone so he can make a living. I guess Rush doesn't have that same right.

And people here pretending like they're worried about whether the Rams have good ownership prospects is hilarious. And whomever was "worried" about whether any players would agree to play for Rush, if the money's green and in abundance, I don't think there would be a problem. They don't seem to have any problem with signing for a well-documented nut job like Al Davis.

I honestly could care less if Rush is involved with the NFL. I'm not arguing that he should be. But if the reason for ousting him is to uphold the NFL's image, that ship sailed long ago.

This is just my opinion, so anybody that disagrees can bhite me.

While this thread has been thoroughly entertaining, I must point out that the term "Skill Position" refers to those positions, on the offense, responsible for point production - the players whose job it is to handle the ball. It includes the Quarterback, Running Back (Fullback, Halfback, H-Back), and Recievers (Wide Recievers, Tight Ends, Slotback). Generally, all offensive players EXCEPT the 5 linemen are considered to be playing in "Skill Positions". The term does not imply that other positions do not require skill, nor that unskilled players should look elsewhere on the field for employment.

http://www.videojug.com/expertanswer/offensive-positions-2/what-is-a-skill-position

There is nothing racist about the term - and to think or declare so implies nothing more than a simple lack of understanding on the declarant's part. I don't think you're trying to mislead or falsely make a claim of racism where you know one does not exist, so I must presume that you just didn't know what the term means.

Wow. Racism is everywhere. The word skill player is now code for ******. Do you know how stupid that sounds?

When we look for racism around every corner and accuse someone of being racist every time we don't like their political views we really take away the impact and shock that examples of real racism should generate.

So many people on both sides of the spectrum try to win arguments by calling someone a name. If you are conservative you are clearly a racist and your argument is invalid because of that. If you are liberal you are clearly a commie tree hugger and your argument is invalid because of that.

In the case of Rush Limbaugh, I think he is a pompous windbag. I do however also think that he is one of the most successful business men in America and someone that has taken his talent and turned it into a multi-million dollar income. There is nothing that disqualifies him to be an NFL owner other than the fact that he is a conservative with a very large following. In the minds of those that lack the ability or desire to think conservative = racist.

The troubling thing is that this type of thinking is so prevalent. Even our politicians think and speak this way. No wonder we have no real leadership in this country.

Archived