Ravens trade for Boldin

I'm not sure how anyone can knock Anquan Boldin. The guy has produced since his first season in the league in 2003. He's topped 1,000 yards and 80 catches 5 times and totaled 44 TD's in 7 seasons. The Ravens got a pretty good deal, IMO. I don't think 3rd and 4th round picks were too steep of a price to give up and the Ravens also received Arizona's 5th round pick. The extension Boldin signed was very reasonable (3 year extension, $25 million in new money, $10 million guaranteed). The Ravens still need to add more receiving threats, but Boldin is a solid player to add to their mix.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' date='06 March 2010 - 06:47 PM' timestamp='1267919279' post='867837']
Not sure if it's been addressed in this thread yet or not so sorry if it's a repeat but with the Ravens now with Boldin and saying Mason is no longer a priority for them, do the Bengals consider Mason in the WR search?
I know he's not a field stretcher so it wouldn't fill that need but Mason seems like he's going to at least listen to offers and he's been extremely dependable. I think it might be worth at least taking a look see to get an idea of what his interest would be. He'd be a great locker room addition and would give Carson a great possession type option, not to mention he'd probably bring some added emotion for those conference games against Baltimore.
The Bengals would still want to find a guy to stretch the field though, as Mason does not provide the big plays downfield that TO would.
[/quote]

I would take Mason in a heartbeat. I am hooked to the the thought of the attention TO would bring but Mason would be an awesome addition. He's a pros pro.

I really hope the Ravens are moving on from him. If that is the case, I don't think they helped their football team at all with Boldin.

[quote name='scharm' date='06 March 2010 - 06:26 AM' timestamp='1267874798' post='867675']
Did hte season just end on the first day of FA? Hilarious.

Tell me this when the Bengals locked up two former top 10 picks last year, another former 2nd round pick, did Raven fans run around and shit themselves?

How many more times does Marvin Lewis have to stomp them out for you to realize this isn't 1998?
[/quote]

I really have no idea what you are getting at. I think we were talking about a replacement for Coles via FA and besides Marshall and TO, there aint much left. Maybe you can shed some light on how our receiving corps will be better next year. I would love to hear your theory.

We lost Henry and Coles is gone. Who is going to replace them?

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='06 March 2010 - 09:52 AM' timestamp='1267887153' post='867719']
You still haven't answered my question. How many receivers have had good seasons at 36/37 years old?

It does matter obviously because the NFL is a young man's game and the old decline QUICKLY. See Coles, Laveranues and hundreds of other players who come from effective to shit in 1 season. It doesn't matter at all how many touchdowns he's scored, he is still aging and declining.

And yes I hate the fucking drama queen
[/quote]

Jerry Rice had an 1100 yard season at age 39 and a 1200 yard season at age 40. 800 plus yards at ages 37 and 38.

Its not impossible and TO does keep himself in excellent shape. TO had a fine season last year catching passes from Fitz. About the same numbers Chad put up in 2008 with same. And yes, I think he is every bit the player (playing ability only) Jerry Rice was.

[url="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiceJe00.htm"]Rices Stats[/url]

[b]BALANCE OF POWER:[/b] By acquiring Anquan Boldin in a trade from Arizona, Baltimore cemented its early status as the favorite in the division.

Quarterback Joe Flacco has a proven No. 1 receiver and Boldin has a new four-year, $28 million contract. Since his rookie year of 2003, Boldin is averaging 79.2 yards per game, which is second to Carolina's Steve Smith (80.3).

The Ravens had been working for more than a year to get Boldin, but at the time the Cardinals wanted first- and third-round picks. Arizona ended up getting third- and fourth-round picks while Baltimore got Boldin and a fifth-round selection.

Said Boldin to the Ravens Web site after the trade: "For me, I've been hoping for this for a year since I first heard that the Ravens might be interested in me. I even talked with Ray (Lewis) about it a year ago. The Ravens play a certain way. They play as hard and as physical as any team in the league, and I want to add to that. I think I play the way they play."

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100306/SPT02/3070340/1066/Standing+pat+early+is+the+Bengals++way"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100306/SPT02/3070340/1066/Standing+pat+early+is+the+Bengals++way[/url]

[quote name='SF2' date='06 March 2010 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1267936268' post='867903']
I really have no idea what you are getting at. I think we were talking about a replacement for Coles via FA and besides Marshall and TO, there aint much left. Maybe you can shed some light on how our receiving corps will be better next year. I would love to hear your theory.

We lost Henry and Coles is gone. Who is going to replace them?
[/quote]

My theory is simple Marvin's been here for 7 seasons. Over that 7 season the bengals seem to do things and when they happen everyone kinda slaps their forehead and say "Gee, that's not like the Bengals".

So my theory is Mike Brown didn't live through the Chad drama, take all "redeemer" remarks over the guys he signed just to not do anything today.

It's not 1998 anymore Do you honestly think they take the shit for bringing Pac Man Jones and Matt Jones in for work outs just to let the team not improve during FA?

[quote name='scharm' date='07 March 2010 - 08:16 AM' timestamp='1267967790' post='867938']
My theory is simple Marvin's been here for 7 seasons. Over that 7 season the bengals seem to do things and when they happen everyone kinda slaps their forehead and say "Gee, that's not like the Bengals".

So my theory is Mike Brown didn't live through the Chad drama, take all "redeemer" remarks over the guys he signed just to not do anything today.

It's not 1998 anymore.
[/quote]

I don't remember saying anything of the sort. I actually think picking up Coles was a great move last year. They went out and tried to do something to replace TJ. They did this because they (and most of us) felt they had to. Excellent move but who would have ever thought moving 700miles west would turn one's hands into stone.

Never have ever made a redeemer remark in regards to Mike Brown. Its all BS. If we need a player (Benson) and he is available cheap, get him. I only dislike the true idiots who beat on women or continually break the real law since it has a huge impact on the team. Benson was neither. I haven't said anything bad about the FA choices we have made recently. All pretty good moves on paper which is all one can hope for.

The discussion was about TO. I felt that he may be our best bet at this point in the FA market given the unfortunate spot we are in. Its not Marvin's fault Henry died and Coles started dropping passes. Not a believer in turning a rookie into a great receiver but it happens. I would rather have a proven veteran. Marshall would be the obvious choice but I don't think he is coming here. Seems like an ass and will probably want to go to a high end market.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='05 March 2010 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1267838064' post='867573']
Well, he sure as hell ain't getting any younger.

And he also was in a pass happy Offense that had Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald.

You think he is going to put up the same numbers with Flacco and Stallworth? lol
[/quote]

lol!!11

Yes I do. He'll have some of his best seasons in Baltimore.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='07 March 2010 - 11:05 AM' timestamp='1267981510' post='868002']
lol!!11

Yes I do. He'll have some of his best seasons in Baltimore.
[/quote]

Best seasons with Baltimore, huh?

lol!!11 indeed.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='07 March 2010 - 11:09 AM' timestamp='1267981757' post='868004']
yeah anyone who thinks Boldin isnt going to produce is nuts.
[/quote]

No one said he isn't going to produce. But what is your definition of produce?
1,000 yards? Pro Bowl? MVP?

He'll be their #1 WR. So I sure as hell hope (for them anyway) that he is a 1,000 yd WR.
Mason barely was though. (He never had an 1,100 yard season for them). I do not
think he will be a Pro Bowler or even a dominant reciever though. I think he benefitted
from being paired with Fitzgerald and Warner.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='07 March 2010 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1267981757' post='868004']
yeah anyone who thinks Boldin isnt going to produce is nuts.

I hate that they got him.
[/quote]

he is a small upgrade over mason talent wise but the fact still remains that they only have 1 WR and boldin will just get doubled and limited so they ravens still need a # 2. this move doesnt make baltimore any better to me than they were last year.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='07 March 2010 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1267989007' post='868026']
he is a small upgrade over mason talent wise but the fact still remains that they only have 1 WR and boldin will just get doubled and limited so they ravens still need a # 2. this move doesnt make baltimore any better to me than they were last year.
[/quote]

oh my god, im agreeing with Thurman :mellow:

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='07 March 2010 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1267989007' post='868026']
[/quote]

Did Mason retire?

[quote name='scharm' date='07 March 2010 - 08:16 AM' timestamp='1267967790' post='867938']

It's not 1998 anymore Do you honestly think they take the shit for bringing Pac Man Jones and Matt Jones in for work outs just to let the team not improve during FA?
[/quote]

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. Its not 1998 anymore? Yeah, I know, never said it was. Your last line is incoherent. Has nothing to do with me but you directed it at me for some reason.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='07 March 2010 - 12:59 PM' timestamp='1267984757' post='868020']
Best seasons with Baltimore, huh?

lol!!11 indeed.

No one said he isn't going to produce. But what is your definition of produce?
1,000 yards? Pro Bowl? MVP?

He'll be their #1 WR. So I sure as hell hope (for them anyway) that he is a 1,000 yd WR.
Mason barely was though. (He never had an 1,100 yard season for them). I do not
think he will be a Pro Bowler or even a dominant reciever though. I think he benefitted
from being paired with Fitzgerald and Warner.
[/quote]

Boldin was the #1 in AZ before Fitz was drafted, his rookie year had over 1000 yards and 8 TDs with crap at the QB position. So I disagree that it was all Warner and Fitz that made Boldin who he was, Boldin is pretty good WR, and I will not be shocked if he gets over 1000 yards with them, and even though Mason is a FA there is nothing saying he wont end up back with them if the market doesnt pan out.

[/quote]

disagree, Boldin is better than Mason was and will command more double teams (your saying so yourself) this will open up things for everyone else. Rice will get more yards, Heap will see more balls, and if they do keep mason it will only help.

[quote name='SF2' date='07 March 2010 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1267995405' post='868043']
Did Mason retire?
[/quote]

he's a FA

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='07 March 2010 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1267997034' post='868051']
Boldin was the #1 in AZ before Fitz was drafted, his rookie year had over 1000 yards and 8 TDs with crap at the QB position. So I disagree that it was all Warner and Fitz that made Boldin who he was, Boldin is pretty good WR, and I will not be shocked if he gets over 1000 yards with them, and even though Mason is a FA there is nothing saying he wont end up back with them if the market doesnt pan out.
[/quote]

Someone already said this.
That was 6 years and a quite a few injuries ago.
He was drafted in 2003, Fitzgerald was drafted in 2004.
So Boldin only played one season without him.
And Warner went to the Cards in 2005.
And the QB Boldin had in 2003 was Jeff Blake.

Also, he doesn't run very well, and is more of a possession type reciever.
But that does fit well with Joe Flacco. Because he throws a lot of short passes.

Sure it was a good move for the Ravens. Ecspecially considering the WRs
they had on their roster at the moment. But out of Marshall, T.O. and Boldin,
personally I am glad they got Boldin over the other two. Just my opinion.
But I don't see him being a dominant #1 for them. And I hope I am right.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='07 March 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1267997148' post='868052']
disagree, Boldin is better than Mason was and will command more double teams (your saying so yourself) this will open up things for everyone else. Rice will get more yards, Heap will see more balls, and if they do keep mason it will only help.

he's a FA
[/quote]

considering mason was double teamed on pretty much every play it will be VERY hard for boldin to be doubled teamed more...until they get a 2nd option worth throwing to and worth worrying about at WR then they really havent changed anything

[quote name='oldschooler' date='07 March 2010 - 04:36 PM' timestamp='1267997762' post='868054']
Someone already said this.
That was 6 years and a quite a few injuries ago.
He was drafted in 2003, Fitzgerald was drafted in 2004.
So Boldin only played one season without him.
And Warner went to the Cards in 2005.
And the QB Boldin had in 2003 was Jeff Blake.

Also, he doesn't run very well, and is more of a possession type reciever.
But that does fit well with Joe Flacco. Because he throws a lot of short passes.

Sure it was a good move for the Ravens. Ecspecially considering the WRs
they had on their roster at the moment. But out of Marshall, T.O. and Boldin,
personally I am glad they got Boldin over the other two. Just my opinion.
But I don't see him being a dominant #1 for them. And I hope I am right.
[/quote]

Blake at the end of his career, like I said crap.

Boldin is better than TO at this point in their careers. (not that TO sucks, but Boldin is better)

I dont think he will necessarily be a probowler either but they just upgraded their WR position by more than I think some want to admit.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='07 March 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1267997148' post='868052']

he's a FA
[/quote]

just like Chad being double teamed opens stuff up for other people?

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='07 March 2010 - 06:56 PM' timestamp='1268006191' post='868114']
just like Chad being double teamed opens stuff up for other people?
[/quote]

You mean we have any other option that is even remotely on the level of heap in the passing game? Wish we would have used him last year then.

[quote name='Jeff Blake' date='07 March 2010 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1268006766' post='868127']
It's hard to argue that the Ravens didn't improve their team by adding Boldin.[color="#FF0000"] If we had added Boldin some of the detractors here would be saying what a great move it was.[/color] It is what it is: a nice upgrade at wr for them.
[/quote]

This

[quote name='Jeff Blake' date='07 March 2010 - 06:06 PM' timestamp='1268006766' post='868127']
It's hard to argue that the Ravens didn't improve their team by adding Boldin. If we had added Boldin some of the detractors here would be saying what a great move it was. It is what it is: a nice upgrade at wr for them.
[/quote]

I admit it. I look at the bright side on Bengals' moves.
And look at the negatives for rivals' moves.

Sue me. lol

Archived