2010 Reds gameday thread!

JBandJoeyV

[quote name='Jason' date='18 May 2010 - 09:46 AM' timestamp='1274147182' post='888869']
How long have you been watching the Reds? Jeff "Cowboy" Brantley has been doing games for a few years now, and he's a favorite of mine.
[/quote]
That's Brantley? Hmmm. I loved him as a player when we had him. Maybe I should give him another chance..

I don't often get Reds games overseas. Just happened to be flipping through channels on a rainy morning and happened upon the Reds game.

I hate this! I want to celebrate how well the Reds are doing but I don't want to buy any fool's gold this early in the year since the Reds MO has been the same year after year for...um, years.

I'm tired of broken dreams with them. OK, that was a little gay, but still...every year I follow too much, get too interested and EVERY year they end up blowing chowder by the All-Star break. I can't let that happen until they have sustained success over the course of a very long MLB season.

I guess I'll just say...GO REDS?

[quote name='Bunghole' date='17 May 2010 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1274147821' post='888872']
I hate this! I want to celebrate how well the Reds are doing but I don't want to buy any fool's gold this early in the year since the Reds MO has been the same year after year for...um, years.

I'm tired of broken dreams with them. OK, that was a little gay, but still...every year I follow too much, get too interested and EVERY year they end up blowing chowder by the All-Star break. I can't let that happen until they have sustained success over the course of a very long MLB season.

I guess I'll just say...GO REDS?
[/quote]

What fun are sports if you dont poor your heart and soul in to your team every year?

Having hope year in and year out is what makes sports so great, every year you think you have a chance...and when that one year finally does happen the people that have stuck with the team through thick and thin will be the ones most rewarded.

[quote name='Jason' date='17 May 2010 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1274147182' post='888869']
How long have you been watching the Reds? Jeff "Cowboy" Brantley has been doing games for a few years now, and he's a favorite of mine.
[/quote]

he is the best. i LOVE listening to brantley call the games.

Billy billy billy

[quote name='Bengal Migration' date='17 May 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1274147409' post='888871']
That's Brantley? Hmmm. I loved him as a player when we had him. Maybe I should give him another chance..

[b]I don't often get Reds games overseas[/b]. Just happened to be flipping through channels on a rainy morning and happened upon the Reds game.
[/quote]

Ahhh. That would explain it. Yeah, give Brantley a chance. I actually learned a lot from listening to him call games. He has some really good insights. But he's a good old country boy, and his style may take some getting used to.

[b][size="5"]This time, Reds might be for real[/size][/b]

FoxSports

This time, a glimmer of hope for Reds might not be a mirage.

Their ERA is the fourth-worst in the National League. Their run differential suggests that they should be 17-19 rather than 20-16.

Say hello to your new NL Central leaders, the Cincinnati Reds!

I'm always suspicious of the Reds, who often are viewed as a potential surprise coming out of spring training, only to prove a disappointment.

This time may -- repeat, may -- be different.

Two general managers from the NL Central told me last week that they indeed viewed the Reds as a legitimate threat.

One liked the Reds' potential to improve due to their young talent; the lineup, featuring first baseman Joey Votto, 26, and right fielder Jay Bruce, 23, ranks sixth in the NL in runs per [font="""][color="blue"]game[/color][/font].

The other GM said, "You're going to laugh," then cited the defensive play of shortstop Orlando Cabrera, 35, and third baseman Scott Rolen, 35, as a stabilizing force.

The GM knows that Cabrera and Rolen no longer rate well under advanced defensive metrics, due in part to their declining range. But both generally handle the balls they field cleanly.

The Reds, as a team, have made only 15 errors, the fewest in the NL. The advanced metrics -- defensive efficiency, ultimate zone rating -- again tell a different tale. But at least the Reds are not giving away outs.

Still, the most intriguing thing about the Reds is the potential of their starting rotation, which has produced a 2.12 ERA in the last eight games, dropping its overall mark from 5.63 to 4.72.

Three of the Reds' starters -- right-handers Homer Bailey, Johnny Cueto and Mike Leake -- are 24-and-under. Lefty Aroldis Chapman, 22, eventually could join them, though he is struggling to attain consistency at Triple-A.

One scout, noting [font="""][color="blue"]manager[/color][/font] Dusty Baker's past tendencies, cracks, "Dusty hasn't had a chance to kill the bullpen yet." But so far, so good: now that righty Nick Masset appears back on track, the pen is looking like a strength.

Are the Reds better than the Cardinals? Probably not.

But for once, they might not be a mirage.

[url="http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/05/17/time-reds-real/"]http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/05/17/time-reds-real/[/url]

Wow...great comeback...down 4-1 in the 8th, joey hits a blast over the batters eye in CF to make it 4-2 then in the ninth with 0 outs janish singles, rolen homers, heisey doubles, phillips walks, and votto lines a shot off the wall to win.

Great win! Another great game by bailey, 7 ip 2 ers. gave up back to back to back hits in the first to give up both runs, but then pitched pretty lights out after.

Time to sweep the braves!

Another great comeback, god this team is fun to watch.

Come on Masset get this game to extras!

Two things hurt us tonight, not gettting harang in when he was on 3rd with 1 out and a ground rule double forcing phillips back to third instead of scoring...but hopefully those wont matter in the end.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='19 May 2010 - 09:07 PM' timestamp='1274321270' post='889400']
Terrible pitch by nick masset and the monster heyward crushed it...oh well cant win them all.
[/quote]

Good news is the Cards also lost so we are still in first.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='20 May 2010 - 10:42 AM' timestamp='1274366531' post='889453']
SEE! I TOLD YOU THE OTHER SHOE WOULD DROP! STOP WATCHING! STOP GOING TO GAMES! YOU'LL ONLY GET YOUR HEART BROKEN AGAIN!!!

:lol:
[/quote]

:lol:

Im just saying it's way to early to get up about anything, I will likely go next month to one of the Nats/Reds games but the "were gonna be competing for a pennant" crowd just needs to temper it a bit right now.

Man. I think Gomes should be getting some love for 1st quarter MVP. For being a free agent pickup who would likely only be a situational player, he is playing very well right now. I think him keeping it up will be a key.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='20 May 2010 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1274386520' post='889541']
Epic fail

jeez how do you get up 8 runs and lose it?
[/quote]

Poor defense followed by poor pitching.

People always hate on Janish because he can't hit, but his late inning defense would have helped today.

Archived