Who do you think makes it at the final two WR spots?

Who makes it at WR?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Whose the 5th WR roster to start the season?

• Dez Briscoe
    • Freddie Brown
    • Quan Cosby
    • Matt Jones
    • Maurice Purify
    • Jerome Simpson
  2. 2. Whose the 6th guy on the squad at WR?

• Dez Briscoe
    • Freddie Brown
    • Quan Cosby
    • Matt Jones
    • Maurice Purify
    • Jerome Simpson

We will be seeing this poll a lot in the coming months, but I was curious to see where we stand at this point in the season.
I guess we could keep 7, but it's not that likely. Also, this is a public poll, so if you vote for the same guy twice we can all laugh at you and make fun of you.
So I figure we'll see
Chad
Antonio Bryant
Andre Caldwell
Jordan Shipley

and two other guys.
the choices are:
Dez Briscoe-Great Potential, posssibly a late-round steal.
Freddie Brown-Tall slim fast guy.
Quan Cosby-Exceptional Special-teamer. Caught 4 passes last season.
Matt Jones-6'6"! Used to be quite fast!
Maurice Purify-KTFO of Roy Williams on Hard Knocks.
Jerome Simpson-Great Potential, possibly an early-round bust.

BTW, I think they go with Quan, whose special teams blocking is legendary, and Jerome Simpson.

A lot of people think that they will only keep Simpson to save money, but that doesn't really make sense. I think that he shows someone just enough to get another month or so. Then we will cut his ass and bring Briscoe off of the practice squad.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='19 July 2010 - 11:45 AM' timestamp='1279554312' post='897613']
this is a horribly constructed poll.
[/quote]
I found that simply adding the numbers up from both polls seemed to work pretty well.

[quote name='#22' date='19 July 2010 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1279554591' post='897616']
I found that simply adding the numbers up from both polls seemed to work pretty well.
[/quote]

not only are both questions asking the same thing basically, you're asking for 2 guys but its set up where you can only choose 1.

anywho I think Briscoe will make it and Simpson will beat out Jones in part due to contract length.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='19 July 2010 - 11:52 AM' timestamp='1279554732' post='897618']
not only are both questions asking the same thing basically, you're asking for 2 guys but its set up where you can only choose 1.

anywho I think Briscoe will make it and Simpson will beat out Jones in part due to contract length.
[/quote]
The option to just make one poll with multiple answers possible made a system possible whereby people could vote for all 6, and I didn't want to go down that road.

Now, instead of fluhartz voting for all 6 guys, I at least know that he likes Dez Briscoe...a lot.

[quote name='#22' date='19 July 2010 - 12:01 PM' timestamp='1279555292' post='897621']
The option to just make one poll with multiple answers possible made a system possible whereby people could vote for all 6, and I didn't want to go down that road.

Now, instead of fluhartz voting for all 6 guys, I at least know that he likes Dez Briscoe...a lot.
[/quote]

so here's what you do:

who grabs the 5th spot?

who grabs the 6th spot?

Then you don't have to waste time getting your jollies off when people screw up a poll you worded poorly. :)

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='19 July 2010 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1279555556' post='897623']
you guys don't see Matt Jones making this roster? I think he does do to fact that he was a 1st round pick that we're getting for cheap, he's proven, and Carson wants tall WR's. Thats my 2 cents.
[/quote]

I think jones can, but I think he has to blow away the competition. I think the fact that Briscoe has a 4 year deal (and is 7 years younger), Simpson has 2 years left and Jones only has 1 will be a big part of it, especially with the labor issues. Not having to worry about re-signing whoever you pick will be a plus.

I also think while Jones height is a plus, you also already get that in Coffman and Gresham. There's no one as athletic as Simpson, Briscoe is younger and more potential, and Cosby is a better special teamer.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='19 July 2010 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1279555717' post='897625']
I think jones can, but I think he has to blow away the competition. I think the fact that Briscoe has a 4 year deal (and is 7 years younger), Simpson has 2 years left and Jones only has 1 will be a big part of it, especially with the labor issues. Not having to worry about re-signing whoever you pick will be a plus.

I also think while Jones height is a plus, you also already get that in Coffman and Gresham. There's no one as athletic as Simpson, Briscoe is younger and more potential, and Cosby is a better special teamer.
[/quote]

thats the part about the NFL that i really hate....the BUSINESS part of it.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='19 July 2010 - 12:11 PM' timestamp='1279555860' post='897626']
thats the part about the NFL that i really hate....the BUSINESS part of it.
[/quote]

fwiw I think age will be as big of a factor as the contract part I mentioned.

I feel very confident that Briscoe makes the team. The Bengals had a 3rd round grade on him, and Phil Steele who does the best college football magazine out there has him the #5 WR in the draft, ahead of Tate, Gilyard and Shipley. I don't think he would make it to the PS.

The last spot is tough. I think it comes down to Cosby, Simpson and Jones.

I like what Cosby did for the team last year, but I see him as an older, smaller Shipley. I only see Cosby making the team if Simpson and Jones both stink it up.

Jones is tall and kind of fast, but he's slow twitch fast and I'm not sure he will do much of a job getting separation from CBs.

So based on his talent I think Simpson gets one last chance unless he just doesn't "show up".

Matt Jones looked so sluggish without pads on in the OTA videos. He's gonna look even worse once he's strapped up. I really, really don't think he will make the team..but I would love for him to prove me wrong. We could use a 6'6 first down machine.

[quote name='Jason' date='19 July 2010 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1279556372' post='897629']
I feel very confident that Briscoe makes the team. The Bengals had a 3rd round grade on him, and Phil Steele who does the best college football magazine out there has him the #5 WR in the draft, ahead of Tate, Gilyard and Shipley. I don't think he would make it to the PS.

The last spot is tough. I think it comes down to Cosby, Simpson and Jones.

I like what Cosby did for the team last year, but I see him as an older, smaller Shipley. I only see Cosby making the team if Simpson and Jones both stink it up.

Jones is tall and kind of fast, but he's slow twitch fast and I'm not sure he will do much of a job getting separation from CBs.

So based on his talent I think Simpson gets one last chance unless he just doesn't "show up".
[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly. I think Briscoe makes the team at the "inactive extra" spot that Simpson has held over the last two years. I just don't see any way that Simpson, Jones or Cosby hold that spot this year. I also think Simpson has the best chance of making the team at the 5th spot, due to the fact that he can play the X receiver, and none of the other guys really fit that spot( Cosby too small, Jones appears slow). However, I do think he has to show that he can get the routes right. Cosby is an interesting animal, however. I could see a breakdown where we carry 7 receivers and only nine DB's, if they think Cosby can take the special teams role that Hebert currently holds.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='19 July 2010 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1279555717' post='897625']

[/quote]

i find a few things i disagree with in your reply.

first, while coffman and gresham both have the heighth that matt jones has, neither of them have proven they can high point a ball like matt jones can. i might add, NEITHER of them has any NFL experience in doing so either. in fact, there's no one on this team that can equal matt jones talent at high pointing a throw. secondly, i have never bought into this jerome simpson is so marvelously athletic mindset. go back and look how poorly he did in the 2 shuttles and 3 cone drills at the combine (which is about all we have to go on since there's been no game experience). he was a tale of two cities at the combine, and this after he went to a combine training school prior to the event, no less. jerome was 1st in the broad jump, 2nd in the high jump, and 10th in the 40. BUT he was 25th in the in the 3 cone and 37th in the shuttle run (2nd to last). in the short shuttle the top 10 WRs posted times of 3.96-4.23. jerome was timed at a blazing 4.52! IMO, those are the tests that measure true athleticism, especially for a WR. hell, you can get a dog to jump high in the air for a bone or a frizbee, but that same dog would have a helluva time catching a football. jerome stood out at the combine for something else, too. if a WR jumped offsides, you could almost guarantee it was our boy jerome, no need to check the number. go figure.

getting back to multiple tall WRs and TEs discussion... everyone has marveled at the passing game of especially san diego, and also denver and others. a big key to their success is the multiple(3X6'5") WRs they employ. they do this along with a former basketball playing 6'4" TE. some guy named gates. the game is moving toward the big WRs that are near impossible to cover and i don't think you can get enough of them. matt jones, a former BB player as well, can pick a dime off the top of a backboard... that's 12 feet high. considering his experience, considering his good hands, considering his reliable routes, considering his aforementioned matchup advantages, considering he's a son of a football coach who understands the game, and finally considering he gives you an added advantage as a multi-position player (QB) who just might save you an additional roster spot... you have to find a place for a player like that. if they cut him to keep the prayer, jerome simpson for yet another year, i'll be pissed. the jerome simpson mistake/experiment needs to end. he's hogged the place of a valuable roster spot for far too long.

here's where i go against the grain. i'd make matt jones the first WR off my bench. i also think brat is crazy if he doesn't game plan some key mismatch plays for him each and every game. that would help keep the wear and tear off bryant's bad knee, while creating huge advantages/mismatches for any defense we go up against...mismatches i'm sure at some point or another we'll find ourselves needing.

our #1 goal this off season was to find carson palmer some new BONA FIDE weapons. waiting on multiple project players to develop into those weapons flies in the face of everything we're trying to accomplish in that respect. we need to keep and develop both shipley and briscoe at WR. devoting 50% of our WR corps on developmental projects would be a huge mistake. it would go against what our off season #1 stated mission was.

so my call is jones and briscoe. jones definately makes this team barring some huge letdown/setback. cosby's issue is a different one...a non WR one. his position is determined by who wins the punt return job. if we decide we MUST keep him and we cannot fit briscoe on the 53 man squad, waivers it is. i don't want to see that. but that decision is a different one and has no bearing on matt jones who is my #3 or #4 WR depending on shipley's development AND depending on allignments.

ocho
bryant
jones
ship
caldwell
briscoe

that group is going to be very hard for any defense to defend against!

[quote name='Jason' date='19 July 2010 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1279556372' post='897629']

[/quote]

doesn't do a CB any good when jones positions himself to deny the guy the ball with his length, much like bill russell used to do going after a rebound. jones has been fighting that slow/ slow twitch label all his life. it's bullshit. a lot of it comes from writers who don't know what they're talking about, ones who are in the habit of lazily reprinting what other writers have said. on the football field matt jones has proven those guys wrong everywhere and anywhere that he's played. he's slow like a crocodile is slow. 4.37 is not slow. if he ran that fast at the combine at 246lbs, i'm betting he could at least equal that at 215-220.

[quote name='bengaled' date='19 July 2010 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1279570626' post='897677']
doesn't do a CB any good when jones positions himself to deny the guy the ball with his length, much like bill russell used to do going after a rebound.
[/quote]

Last two posts have been on fire. I have a feeling that Matt Jones jumps right into Henry's spot and the real fight is for the #4/slot position between Caldwell/Shipley and then there is one spot left for all the others mentioned in the poll.

Fact is that Simpson has no success to speak of, Briscoe is a sixth rounder for a reason, and Cosby has become expendable. Matt Jones has some proven results. He isn't TO but if he is back to his old form he trumps all these guys at this point.

[quote name='kdubdub' date='19 July 2010 - 04:42 PM' timestamp='1279572126' post='897683']
Last two posts have been on fire. I have a feeling that Matt Jones jumps right into Henry's spot and the real fight is for the #4/slot position between Caldwell/Shipley and then there is one spot left for all the others mentioned in the poll.

Fact is that Simpson has no success to speak of, [b]Briscoe is a sixth rounder for a reason[/b], and Cosby has become expendable. Matt Jones has some proven results. He isn't TO but if he is back to his old form he trumps all these guys at this point.
[/quote]

Tom Brady
TJ Houshmandzadeh

Briscoe will make the team.

Archived