55 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes the final spot?

• Matt Jones
    • Jerome Simpson
    • Quan Cosby
    • Dezmon Briscoe
    • Maurice Purify
    • Freddie Brown

I vote Cosby. He's WAY to valuable as a special teamer to toss aside. Top 3 punt returner in the NFL in almost every statistical category. I think Shipley is too unproven and would be a major downgrade at punt returner.

Briscoe to the practice squad. There is a good a chance he stays there, if not oh well he was a 6th round pick.

It comes down to Brisco, Simpson, and Cosby.

Pre-pacman I would have said Cosby hands down, but depending on how the return games looks in the preseason it will be Simpson or Brisco. I think Simpson wins it with Brisco going to the practice squad. (Well see if he gets picked up.)

I think it has to be Quan. With 3 wr's who dont play any special teams I think what he does on the coverage/return teams is too important to leave to a rookie, plus if they think Shipley might take the slot position they arent going to have him back their returning punts.

The more interesting question might be who are 5 that will be game day active?

[quote name='bengalsdave985' date='28 July 2010 - 09:29 AM' timestamp='1280323777' post='899933']
I think it has to be Quan. With 3 wr's who dont play any special teams I think what he does on the coverage/return teams is too important to leave to a rookie, plus if they think Shipley might take the slot position they arent going to have him back their returning punts.

The more interesting question might be who are 5 that will be game day active?
[/quote]
If we go with Chad, AB, TO, Caldwell, Shipley, Cosby

I think Shipley would have to the be 1 inactive with Cosby as PR. But, they don't have to only go with 5 active. I could see them going with 6 sometimes depending on the matchups.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='28 July 2010 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1280324099' post='899937']

I think Shipley would have to the be 1 inactive with Cosby as PR. But, they don't have to only go with 5 active. I could see them going with 6 sometimes depending on the matchups.
[/quote]
Agreed, just going on the past where I dont recall them ever having all 6 wr's active. If they do go more passing this year they might not activate that extra lineman like they did last year since our te's were garbage and they needed the extra blocker

Huge advantage to Cosby.. Anyone who doesn't play special teams is basically done at wr. The real problem is going to be on gameday. One of the six is more than likey going to be deactivated...who? I think that Shipley may not see too many games unless he can beat out Cosby/pacman at pr.

I still think Matt Jones has a good shot though depending on how pr/kr plays out.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='28 July 2010 - 08:16 AM' timestamp='1280322965' post='899926']
Assuming these 5 are locks:
1. Chad
2. Bryant - going on the word that he's NOT going to the PUP
3. T.O.
4. Caldwell
5. Shipley
[/quote]

I say it will be Simpson with Briscoe going to practice squad.

Briscoe.

The addition of TO just got Shipley a lot more snaps on special teams, which makes Cosby expendable.

Briscoe will basically have a redshirt year as the 6th WR and hopefully learn something (good) from Chad, TO and Bryant along the way.

That said, I'd also like to see Chad and TO turn Simpson into a cocky, confident little bastard. What's the worst that happens, he gets cut? The best? He reaches his potential.

[quote name='kennethmw' date='28 July 2010 - 10:12 AM' timestamp='1280326354' post='899954']
Briscoe. Young, good size, good route runner, great numbers in a premier conference, would be the perfect understudy to chad/to. In two years, you would have Briscoe, Caldwell, Shipley, Bryant.
[/quote]

Him and Shipley are both slow and came from spread offenses. I'm not betting the farm on either of them.

Briscoe is going to be on the outside and was clocked above 4.6...he is going to have issues separating from NFL corners. There was a reason he was there in the sixth.

[quote name='sois' date='28 July 2010 - 10:37 AM' timestamp='1280327836' post='899965']
I just pray that a few get injured so we can store them on IR for next season.
[/quote]
Im thinking both Jerome and Dez could emd up on IR this year and it would be a fantastic thing.

[quote name='kdubdub' date='28 July 2010 - 11:23 AM' timestamp='1280330630' post='899972']
Him and Shipley are both slow and came from spread offenses. I'm not betting the farm on either of them.

Briscoe is going to be on the outside and was clocked above 4.6...he is going to have issues separating from NFL corners. There was a reason he was there in the sixth.
[/quote]

Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 too.

40 time is most overrated stat in football.

[quote name='kdubdub' date='28 July 2010 - 11:23 AM' timestamp='1280330630' post='899972']

[/quote]

I personally don't put a lot of stock in 40 times. I look at football speed, and both of those kids have football speed.

[quote name='JC' date='28 July 2010 - 08:28 AM' timestamp='1280330898' post='899973']
Im thinking both Jerome and Dez could emd up on IR this year and it would be a fantastic thing.
[/quote]

Yeah, me too. It's an awesome idea. Have someone pepper spray them or something. Save them for next year's Super Bowl defense.

[quote name='kennethmw' date='28 July 2010 - 12:00 PM' timestamp='1280332854' post='899983']
I personally don't put a lot of stock in 40 times. I look at football speed, and both of those kids have football speed.
[/quote]

I hear you. But it is a short list for really slow wrs who excell in the NFL.

Im a simpson defender, and have wanted him around and was thinking if he ever got on the field he would have chance to prove himself.

But at this point, if he makes the team he probably wont see the field, unless 1 or 2 guys get hurt, so is there really a point in keeping him around another year to sit on the bench? I guess if they really think that he still has a lot of potential, in practicing a lot this year will hopefully groom him for a top 3 position in 2011 then I say keep Simpson...if not then Id probably go Briscoe.

I think you make Shipley the 5th WR/PR and have him obviously active on gamedays. You give him a few plays that he can specialize at then you put him in a few times a game while playing ST. It will get his feet wet, and maybe as the year goes on he can get more PT.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='28 July 2010 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1280324099' post='899937']

[/quote]

you can't do that to shipley just to see a one dimensional punt returner make the team, akili. shipley is the one young guy who has to break in this year. he's too important to our future and we've got a lot riding on him gaining NFL experience this year. after being a 6 year college player at texas, missing 04 and 05, he'll turn 25 this year. you just can't put him on the shelf this year. cosby's a nice player, but we wouldn't have acquired two guys that do that job if we had long term plans to keep him. i see cosby as one of the tough cuts we'll have to make.

[quote name='bengaled' date='28 July 2010 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1280340130' post='900031']
you can't do that to shipley just to see a one dimensional punt returner make the team, akili. shipley is the one young guy who has to break in this year. he's too important to our future and we've got a lot riding on him gaining NFL experience this year. after being a 6 year college player at texas, missing 04 and 05, he'll turn 25 this year. you just can't put him on the shelf this year. cosby's a nice player, but we wouldn't have acquired two guys that do that job if we had long term plans to keep him. i see cosby as one of the tough cuts we'll have to make.
[/quote]

Agreed...Shipley wont get a lot of playing time, but he should be active and getting some playing time...as i said above, maybe some plays that just are designed well or that fit his style well. Through him in in some 3 or 4 WR sets and see what he can do.

Archived