!!!THE OFFICIAL BENGALS CUTS THREAD

[quote name='BurnsBengal' timestamp='1283611028' post='913934']
Briscoe has been cut according to Joe Reedy's twitter.
[/quote]

WOW!!!!

[quote]
#bengals roster chatter is starting to filter in. Briscoe has been released. Looks like Simpson might have made it if they go with six[/quote]

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1283546903' post='913701']
I dont know how true that will be for this year...We were a run first team last
year cause our line was better suited to run block and we didnt have guys to
pass the ball to, nor the time to.

This year we will be a much more balanced team. I bet after week 5 or 6 of this
season people wont be saying that we are a run first team.
[/quote]

1 question -------- what makes this years O-line more equipped to pass block than last year? Unless Smith improves by leaps and bounds in a hurry ---I see the same guys playing the same spots.

I do see more talent in the form of skill positions and that will help.

Lots of negative opinion on Coates and I agree he has poor hands at best. Gresham/Kelly are no doubt the top two. However --- in fairness to Coates, he is likely the best blocking TE and the only one that I recall being used as a FB. Also someone on this team's staff/front office loves blcoking TE's. For the most part that is all we have had for nearly 10 yrs.

Those people wanting to keep 7 Wide Receivers have a leader for their group in Chick Ludwig. Which pretty much seals that fate.

[quote]If I’m the Cincinnati Bengals, I’d beg, borrow and steal from other positions in order to keep seven wide receivers — Chad Ochocinco, Terrell Owens, Jordan Shipley, Andre Caldwell, Quan Cosby, Jerome Simpson and Dezmon Briscoe.[/quote]

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2010/09/04/will-the-reds-choke/

[quote name='cwing' timestamp='1283612712' post='913948']
Lots of negative opinion on Coates and I agree he has poor hands at best. Gresham/Kelly are no doubt the top two. However --- in fairness to Coates, he is likely the best blocking TE and the only one that I recall being used as a FB. Also someone on this team's staff/front office loves blcoking TE's. For the most part that is all we have had for nearly 10 yrs.
[/quote]

Coats also gets open pretty well. He's just got to hang onto the damn ball.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1283613164' post='913953']
Which he has done this pre-season. I don't remember any drops.
[/quote]

Me either. In fact I recall a couple nice grabs on his part. Still,we aren't going to carry more than three TE's,and two of the spots are certainly going to be Gresham and Kelly, and unless Chase gets injured again or just isn't "getting it", Coats is going to be the odd man out.

[quote name='cwing' timestamp='1283612404' post='913947']
1 question -------- what makes this years O-line more equipped to pass block than last year? Unless Smith improves by leaps and bounds in a hurry ---I see the same guys playing the same spots.

I do see more talent in the form of skill positions and that will help.
[/quote]

They've grown from an experience point. I also think Andre will be playing a lot.

The biggest thing I think is that the re-birth of the passing game will force defense to play the Bengals differently. Last year defense just stacked the line against Benson and brought the house against Palmer. Can't do that this year.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1283613401' post='913956']
Me either. In fact I recall a couple nice grabs on his part. Still,we aren't going to carry more than three TE's,and two of the spots are certainly going to be Gresham and Kelly, and unless Chase gets injured again or just isn't "getting it", Coats is going to be the odd man out.
[/quote]

With no healthy FBs, 4 TEs would not surprise me at all. Kelly is nearing the end, and Coats is a decent blocking TE. Coats may be the blocking TE of the future.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1283613573' post='913961']
With no healthy FBs, 4 TEs would not surprise me at all. Kelly is nearing the end, and Coats is a decent blocking TE. Coats may be the blocking TE of the future.
[/quote]

I keep forgetting about our FB situation WRT injuries...

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1283613573' post='913961']
[/quote]

I think they'll gamble with it (no FB's, including Coats) considering Leonard will be back soon and can play the spot, Gresham and Kelly both can line up in the backfield, they like Skuta at FB, and have been willing to use Peko on short yardage plays.

There's enough ways to get around keeping Coats.

[quote]Bengals waived K Dave Rayner.

Rayner lost out to Mike Nugent's stronger leg. The itinerant kicker will resurface elsewhere during the season, but he's not a long-term solution at the position with a career field-goal percentage of just 71.2.[/quote]

[quote]The Bengals have reportedly opted to go with Mike Nugent as their kicker over Dave Rayner.

No surprise here. Nugent has the stronger leg and much more upside. He overcame an early-camp groin injury to drill two field goals over 50 yards in the last two games. Considering his past accuracy woes, Nugent should go undrafted in fantasy leagues[/quote]

Well, guess Nugent got the PK job. I didn't think it was the slam dunk that some thought, but he's a talent, no doubt. Just hope he's healthy.

I'm really not surprised at all about Briscoe. I'm sure they'd like him back on the PS, and I don't suspect that there's all of this interest from other teams about signing him to a 53-man roster, personally. He's barely played, so I expect that if they want him, he'll be back on the PS. I reserve the right to be 100% wrong, though.

Archived