Anyone else feel like we'll end up regretting not drafting a QB?

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1298487432' post='972371']
Happens every year. So now eva has a bad attitude?????

He wasn't right on any of them. He trashed them to an extreme for months. Gresh and Rey are NFL starters and very much worth the picks used to acquire. Taylor I don't know but of course I believe the Bengals did actually think about trading up.

If being right is trashing a prospective NFL high round pick over their weakness and the supporting evidence is subjective views of their play. Nobody would ever be wrong and anyone could do it. It's not a special skill its the NFL draft. Furthermore the ultimate accolade of an individual player is the pro bowl. Which as we know is a scam and often a high percentage of players return year after year. While 64 new players enter the NFL every year as 1st and 2nd round picks.

So I fail to see how you conclude he's right. Gresham and Rey have started since day 1. I don't forsee wither of them really losing their starting positions this year. Taylor I have no idea.
[/quote]
I don't think you remembered any of what I said. I don't feel like talking about it again either so I'll just let you enjoy your glory in knowing that I was wrong or something...

He wasn't right on any of them. He trashed them to an extreme for months. Gresh and Rey are NFL starters and very much worth the picks used to acquire. Taylor I don't know but of course I believe the Bengals did actually think about trading up.

If being right is trashing a prospective NFL high round pick over their weakness and the supporting evidence is subjective views of their play. Nobody would ever be wrong and anyone could do it. It's not a special skill its the NFL draft. Furthermore the ultimate accolade of an individual player is the pro bowl. Which as we know is a scam and often a high percentage of players return year after year. While 64 new players enter the NFL every year as 1st and 2nd round picks.

So I fail to see how you conclude he's right. Gresham and Rey have started since day 1. I don't forsee wither of them really losing their starting positions this year. Taylor I have no idea.
[/quote]
I don't remember bashing on Gresh, and I do remember not liking Rey at the spot we picked at in the first round but liked him as a player. Who is this Taylor you speak of? And I wasn't bashing anybody other than Locker in this thread. Before you start accusing somebody of things you should make sure you have the right poster.

Edit - I guess that goes for me too, oops

[/quote]

lol you have a vivid imagination. He wasn't running around trashing them, starting threads about them, etc...

He said Rey and Mays wouldn't be first rounders and defended his opinion while taking crap for it. He was right on both.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1298483856' post='972328']
And even the biggest OSU haters should be able to see that when a guy with Pryor's talent enters the draft he will go in Round 1. The people that think Pryor won't go Round 1 are probably the same people that think Cam won't go top 10. It's gonna happen, get used to the idea.
[/quote]
Been following the draft since 1993 so I know a little about it. And there's no way in hell Pryor gets drafted in round 1 next year. He does not look like an Nfl qb

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1298487978' post='972380']
Been following the draft since 1993 so I know a little about it. And there's no way in hell Pryor gets drafted in round 1 next year. [b]He does not look like an Nfl qb[/b]
[/quote]
So does that mean I have a taker for a bet?

You're going to base this off looks, that's a little shallow but whatever. :on_the_quiet:

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1298487978' post='972380']
Been following the draft since 1993 so I know a little about it. And there's no way in hell Pryor gets drafted in round 1 next year.[b] He does not look like an Nfl qb[/b]
[/quote]

How does he not "LOOK" like an NFL QB? Too much medical MJ in California would be my guess.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1298461695' post='972234']
I keep getting the sinking feeling MB will do nothing about Carson and we'll let the draft come and go without grabbing a QB, and if and when Carson refuses to come back we're stuck with some re-tread QB like Kyle Orton or worse.

If we let Cam Newton get past us, it's going to be something the franchise regrets for a long time, IMO.
[/quote]
Lance has a Sporting News piece on his board saying the Bengals are trading Carson and Drafting Cam Newton. Hope that improves your day and I hope it happens .

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1298487857' post='972379']
lol you have a vivid imagination. He wasn't running around trashing them, starting threads about them, etc...

He said Rey and Mays wouldn't be first rounders and defended his opinion while taking crap for it. He was right on both.
[/quote]

There was alot of discussion about what those players could and couldn't do. He declared directly to me that Rey would be a first round selection (not worth it, in his opinion) and the Bengals wouldn't have a chance to draft him in the second. Even after they selected Rey he declared the guy wouldn't play immediately and was a project.

On Taylor Mays, I'm not real sure because that was somebody else's deal. But I think he was questioning the desire of the Bengals to have Mays and come to find out the Bengals attempted or thought about trading up to get him.

So I'm not sure what your talking about.

Quite honestly it's not a case of being right or wrong. It's the draft. This is what it is. I just find it odd that Akili is all of sudden declaring somebody as a bad attitude when this discussion happens every year with him.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1298491195' post='972400']
Quite honestly it's not a case of being right or wrong. It's the draft. This is what it is. I just find it odd that Akili is all of sudden declaring somebody as a bad attitude when this discussion happens every year with him.
[/quote]
Read his posts up until that point. Not just in this thread. Then come back and tell me he wasn't acting like a grump. Me questioning his attitude had NOTHING to do with our disagreement on Pryor's worth. His reactions to what I said did.

And FWIW, you wanted Rey with the 6th pick. I said hell no that would be a huge reach because he was limited athletically and had character concerns. I have not been real impressed with him as a player thus far (I hope he'll do better as a MLB) and he has already been arrested once for the very damn thing I said he had problems with. I was surprised Rey wasn't taken in the 1st round as a 3-4 ILB, but apparently his issues were worse than I thought. I did say Laurinaitis could even be taken before him, which caused a big fuss (from you I'm sure).

I don't know how Mays has done so far but he apparently wasn't worth the 21st pick (like I said) where you wanted him. My reasons for not wanting him were: he wasn't good in coverage (probably the main reason he was a 2nd rounder), was a SS when we needed a FS and wasn't worth the 21st pick.

I'm not right on everything by any stretch of the imagination but I was right in saying both of them were not 1st round pick worthy.

[quote name='Patmo' timestamp='1298490176' post='972398']
Lance has a Sporting News piece on his board saying the Bengals are trading Carson and Drafting Cam Newton. Hope that improves your day and I hope it happens .
[/quote]

In the No. 3 spot, we think the Bills are putting up a smoke screen that they like Newton so another team won¹t try to trade ahead of them to get Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert. If it works, the Bills will snap up Gabbert.

After that, we believe the Bengals will pull a stunner and grab Newton at No. 4 and trade away Carson Palmer.

[b]1. Panthers: [/b]Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama*

[b]2. Broncos: [/b]Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn*

[b]3. Bills: [/b]Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri*

[b]4. Bengals: [/b]Cam Newton, QB, Auburn*

Read more: [url="http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/nfl-mock-draft-cam-newton-sprints-up-the-list#ixzz1EodQHxtf"]http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/nfl-mock-draft-cam-newton-sprints-up-the-list#ixzz1EodQHxtf[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1298492985' post='972408']
In the No. 3 spot, we think the Bills are putting up a smoke screen that they like Newton so another team won¹t try to trade ahead of them to get Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert. If it works, the Bills will snap up Gabbert.

After that, we believe the Bengals will pull a stunner and grab Newton at No. 4 and trade away Carson Palmer.

[b]1. Panthers: [/b]Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama*

[b]2. Broncos: [/b]Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn*

[b]3. Bills: [/b]Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri*

[b]4. Bengals: [/b]Cam Newton, QB, Auburn*

Read more: [url="http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/nfl-mock-draft-cam-newton-sprints-up-the-list#ixzz1EodQHxtf"]http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/nfl-mock-draft-cam-newton-sprints-up-the-list#ixzz1EodQHxtf[/url]
[/quote]
This just seems like the exact opposite of a smart move. With Marvin supposedly more in control of player personnel I would be shocked if he made this pick. Really don't see it happening.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1298493401' post='972410']
This just seems like the exact opposite of a smart move. With Marvin supposedly more in control of player personnel I would be shocked if he made this pick. Really don't see it happening.
[/quote]

I can't see Marvin taking Cam in any fasion, or signing off on it.

Despite what some may think, I do believe Marvin has more say, and that's not a move he'd make in a million years.

Cam>>>Terrelle.

Bigger, better arm, better conference. Not sure how it can be debated.

Terrelle is just as big of a headcase as Cam. Just no criminal record. Not like they will get the big man on campus for salvia or underage drinking anyways. Not that, that is the same as stealing a laptop, but the issues are still there. Not to mention, he has bought into his own hype. That's for sure.

And I'm not sure how much of a gamer Terrelle really is. He was decent in the sugar bowl. Terrible against Wisconsin the past two years. Terrible against USC both years. Terrible against PSU last year. Not too great against Miami this year. He has had some really good games, but it's hard to gauge since OSU is heads and shoulders above all the B10 teams besides Wisconsin and Penn State. He puts up good rushing stats, and will have good playmaking ability at the QB position, but he seems to have suspect accuracy.

I don't want him, but mainly because of the things I have heard about him. If I would have heard stories about Cam, I probably wouldn't want him either.

This team needs players who are going to play within the confines of the system. Not sure Terrelle or Cam will. Really prone to tucking and running it and trying to make something out of nothing instead of checking the ball down. Mallet fits into the same category. The guy is just going to sling it.

But depending on what he does this year, especially cleaning up his act, I'd take a flyer in round 3 next year. Not that he would last. Just think he would be an intriguing fit for the WCO for the right price.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1298492350' post='972405']
Read his posts up until that point. Not just in this thread. Then come back and tell me he wasn't acting like a grump. Me questioning his attitude had NOTHING to do with our disagreement on Pryor's worth. His reactions to what I said did.

And FWIW, you wanted Rey with the 6th pick. I said hell no that would be a huge reach because he was limited athletically and had character concerns. I have not been real impressed with him as a player thus far (I hope he'll do better as a MLB) and he has already been arrested once for the very damn thing I said he had problems with. I was surprised Rey wasn't taken in the 1st round as a 3-4 ILB, but apparently his issues were worse than I thought. I did say Laurinaitis could even be taken before him, which caused a big fuss (from you I'm sure).

I don't know how Mays has done so far but he apparently wasn't worth the 21st pick (like I said) where you wanted him. My reasons for not wanting him were: he wasn't good in coverage (probably the main reason he was a 2nd rounder), was a SS when we needed a FS and wasn't worth the 21st pick.

I'm not right on everything by any stretch of the imagination but I was right in saying both of them were not 1st round pick worthy.
[/quote]

No I didn't. I wanted BJ Raji and then warmed up to Andre Smith after hearing NFL Network guys compare him to Long. Loved Monroe because he supposedly better than the VA linemen taken the year before by the Chiefs.

I wanted LB help in the second whether it be Rey or whoever. Very happy and still am that he's here. My POV on it was they need LB help again after selecting Rivers.

I remember being told by you he would not be around in the 2nd round and then being told he wasn't an out of the box starter. He's started every game he didn't have a broken leg.

I have no idea were you coming on Mays. I was squarely on the TE bus from the get go. That quickly became the Gresham pimp wagon.

[quote]I'm not right on everything by any stretch of the imagination but I was right in saying both of them were not 1st round pick worthy.
[/quote]

No way. 32 players selected round 1. You are going to sit here and say Rey clearly isn't a better pro than those all 32 players? Bullshit. I know one fat slob right now that he beats out.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1298495392' post='972416']
No I didn't. I wanted BJ Raji and then warmed up to Andre Smith after hearing NFL Network guys compare him to Long. Loved Monroe because he supposedly better than the VA linemen taken the year before by the Chiefs.

I wanted LB help in the second whether it be Rey or whoever. Very happy and still am that he's here. My POV on it was they need LB help again after selecting Rivers.

I remember being told by you he would not be around in the 2nd round and then being told he wasn't an out of the box starter. He's started every game he didn't have a broken leg.

I have no idea were you coming on Mays. I was squarely on the TE bus from the get go. That quickly became the Gresham pimp wagon.

No way. 32 players selected round 1. You are going to sit here and say Rey clearly isn't a better pro than those all 32 players? Bullshit. I know one fat slob right now that he beats out.
[/quote]
Honestly who cares about any of this? It was 2 and 3 years ago. Not even worth taking the time to talk about.

I could go back and forth with you but there's no damn point because you're never going to quit.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1298496010' post='972423']
Honestly who cares about any of this? It was 2 and 3 years ago. Not even worth taking the time to talk about.

I could go back and forth with you but there's no damn point because you're never going to quit.
[/quote]

You are right.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1298470710' post='972269']
:suicide:

Newton is garbage. I don't want to be the team that got caught up in the shorts and t-shirt workout and good 40 time. The dude is identical to Vince Young except Young had a top talent in all of football lining up as his halfback.

Makes me sick thinking about it.
[/quote]

+1

Im so tired of hearing about Carson leaving and us drafting Cam Newton. Not even 1 month ago this guy was thought to be a late 1st to mid 2nd round pick. He had one workout in street gear and now he's an all american? give me a break. Id much rather snatch up someone in the 3rd round or later if absolutely necessary. For the record I dont want Gabbert either. No QB in the first 2 rounds. The football gods have crapped on us far too often for them to curse us with Newton for the next 5 seasons...

1/2 :ninja:

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1298486058' post='972360']
Oh I totally agree there are players in the draft I didn't like or want. I don't think I've ever been disrespectful towards anyone's opinions. If I did I apologize. I love debating the draft. I try not to get pissed off or personal at some of what is said, but we're all human so it happens.

For the record I never said Gresham was a bad player I said we wouldn't draft him because he didn't fit the scheme. I said he would be a damn good receiving tight end. I just figured since Brat didn't know how to use a tight end (seemed to be at least partially right there?) they wouldn't take him. I was wrong.
[/quote]

you sure were wrong. they took him....and brat didn't know how to use him.

maybe that qualifies as a half-right? ok, you were half way right, and half way wrong. :thumbsup:

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1298491195' post='972400']
There was alot of discussion about what those players could and couldn't do. He declared directly to me that Rey would be a first round selection (not worth it, in his opinion) and the Bengals wouldn't have a chance to draft him in the second. Even after they selected Rey he declared the guy wouldn't play immediately and was a project.

On Taylor Mays, I'm not real sure because that was somebody else's deal. But I think he was questioning the desire of the Bengals to have Mays and come to find out the Bengals attempted or thought about trading up to get him.

So I'm not sure what your talking about.

[/quote]

and rey DID turn out to be a project. they had to try him at a new position SLB, just as akili and i said would happen. the only reason he's a starter has more to do with the team he plays for and their lack of depth at the position. he has underperformed and disappointed. for every good play he makes, he blows his assignment on 2-3 others, then plays very average for the remaining ones. more teams were right about selecting him than we were. his character issues have been a concern, much as akili alluded to and everyone argued to the contrary. his drinking problems are an everyday affair. i applaud him on apparently winning the battle currently, but it's a subject that has affected his career.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1298506972' post='972454']
and rey DID turn out to be a project. [b]they had to try him at a new position SLB, just as akili and i said would happen.[/b] the only reason he's a starter has more to do with the team he plays for and their lack of depth at the position. he has underperformed and disappointed. more teams were right on selecting him than we were. his character issues have been a concern, much as akili alluded to and everyone argued to the contrary. his drinking problems are an everyday affair. i applaud him on apparently winning the battle currently, but it's a subject that has affected his career.
[/quote]

they didn't have to, the CHOSE to because he was too talented to keep on the bench behind Dhani.

yes, too talented in regards to the rest of the sub par LBS on the team. semantics

the more important point to recognize here is that he was in no way ready to play MLB in a 4-3 defense in the pros. after two years in the league, that is a legitimate question that still remains today. i think it would be safe to say that our defensive coaches consider it a question, even still. ideally they could unload dhani jones and have him step in. there remains a concern whether he'll be able to sufficiently fill that role.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1298507877' post='972462']
yes, too talented in regards to the rest of the sub par LBS on the team. semantics
[/quote]

'eh the only one stealing his spot was Dhani, and many fans underestimated the value of Dhani.

Dhani was the leader and soul of the defense. It made sense not to just throw a rookie in there and have him try to adapt to the pro game while also making the defensive calls.

The coaches on Hard Knocks were specifically quoted as saying that Rey was too talented, they had to find a spot for him.

I think the Bengals know Carson in not coming back. I think they will trade him for a QB. They will draft Green at number four.

If they don't trade Carson, they're nuts!

If they don't trade or release Chad, they're nuts!

If they don't do the above two, they will drive me NUTS!

Archived