What kind of car do you drive?

oldschooler

I ask this because I was on Twitter and a dude that "writes" for The Bleacher report and "covers" the Lions
randomly said he was car shopping and asked what people thought of Subaru. I said "buy American. The End."
Then he goes on about how some Subarus are made in Indiana. I said they're a Japanese owned company though.
And that if every American spent $64 dollars on American products, it would immediately create 200,000 jobs.
He again talks about how some Foreign cars are made by Americans. I point out that the reason some Foreign
companies built factories here is so people like he could justify buying their crap. Are they Foreign cars or
American cars?

He posts some link saying a few Foreign cars are mostly built in America. I say the reason more American
cars aren't completely built in America is to try and keep up with the Foreign car companies. Not justifying it, just saying.

He then tells me I am "one idiot post away from being blocked." I was like great, because I haven't made
an idiot post yet. So I point out that saying a Foreign car (notice that word keeps popping up here?) is
made buy Americans doesn't make it an American car. And I don't remember our Government having
to bail out Subaru, Toyota or Honda. I thought he was the idiot for me having to point out the obvious.
And I can't believe I was even having that conversation with a guy that lives in DETRIOT.

Anyway, I have never owned anything but GM, Ford or Chrysler products. And never will. If someone
gave me one, I suppose I would drive it. But I'd probably just sell it.

Am I off base, in the minority, or what when it comes to this?

By the way, the dude blocked me. Now he joins Lance McAlister as the only asshats that have done so.
I'm totally heartbroken. The Bleacher Report is a rag by the way. Looking back, I have to question
why the fuck I was following this moron to begin with.

i cant imagine buying an american car.... americans make shit...

honda toyota acura lexus will likely be my only car options for my whole life...

my civic was made in ohio and my accord was either ohio or indiana...

american car companies need to stop making shit products, and maybe more people will buy them... the japanese cars cost more, and people still buy them.. cause they wont be worthless peices of garbage in 4 years... my civic wlasted me over 10 years andis still on the road for someone else... had 180k miles when i got rid of it..

my accord has 103k miles on it.. has another 100k in it easy...

im not going to sacrifice my frustration and tons of repair costs and used car turning worthless in half the time to just "buy american"

the American companies and unions fucked themselves, its not my job or responsibility to fix it... and i certainly wont be spending my hard earned scarse money on a peice of garbage...

many american trucks are high quality however.... but i will never own a truck... i will never need a truck... so its not part of my lifes equation/decision making...

I got a VW. Just a better car. I poked around the American brands, but just don't like their style and thought some, like the Taurus, had some cool features and were nice, but cost too much in comparison with the Jetta.

Oh yeah, and I drive standard and good luck finding any non-sports car with a standard transmission.

American made cars are really getting much better than they were even 8 years ago. Of course, it shouldn't have taken them so long to catch up quality-wise with the Japanese, but still. I drive a Scion (Toyota) right now but I will be looking at a Ford today actually.

I had an '02 Ford Explorer which really gave me very few problems until "the end" when I was looking elsewhere, anyway. It was the 2nd Ford I owned. The first was in the mid-90's and was a complete shit box.

FWIW, my current vehicle is an Infinity G35x. I love driving it and I'm not a car guy who likes driving.

I own a Pontiac. Ive got a year left to pay on it, and over 100K (driving back and forth to ohio will do that)

No idea what my next car will be yet, i'd like to do american, but well see, going to depend on what I like and am looking for feature wise in a year. I need to look into clean diesel and see if they can be driven on normal fuel when you arent around a station, otherwise i will likely look into hybrids.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1314544976' post='1022530']
Gotta new Lexus GS350 and love it. I've driven japanese and german and love them. My first car was an 87 pontiac bonniville. Loved it but too many issues.

I wonder if Jamie plays like a g6 while he drives his car :P
[/quote]
Can he spell G6? :ninja:

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1314499943' post='1022421']
I ask this because I was on Twitter and a dude that "writes" for The Bleacher report and "covers" the Lions
randomly said he was car shopping and asked what people thought of Subaru. I said "buy American. The End."
Then he goes on about how some Subarus are made in Indiana. I said they're a Japanese owned company though.
And that if every American spent $64 dollars on American products, it would immediately create 200,000 jobs.
He again talks about how some Foreign cars are made by Americans. I point out that the reason some Foreign
companies built factories here is so people like he could justify buying their crap. Are they Foreign cars or
American cars?

He posts some link saying a few Foreign cars are mostly built in America. I say the reason more American
cars aren't completely built in America is to try and keep up with the Foreign car companies. Not justifying it, just saying.

He then tells me I am "one idiot post away from being blocked." I was like great, because I haven't made
an idiot post yet. So I point out that saying a Foreign car (notice that word keeps popping up here?) is
made buy Americans doesn't make it an American car. And I don't remember our Government having
to bail out Subaru, Toyota or Honda. I thought he was the idiot for me having to point out the obvious.
And I can't believe I was even having that conversation with a guy that lives in DETRIOT.

Anyway, I have never owned anything but GM, Ford or Chrysler products. And never will. If someone
gave me one, I suppose I would drive it. But I'd probably just sell it.

Am I off base, in the minority, or what when it comes to this?

By the way, the dude blocked me. Now he joins Lance McAlister as the only asshats that have done so.
I'm totally heartbroken. The Bleacher Report is a rag by the way. Looking back, I have to question
why the fuck I was following this moron to begin with.
[/quote]

You just can't let anything go, can you? Jeesh...

Anyways, I drive a 1999 Accord with 220,000 miles on it, and my wife drives a 2011 Dodge Journey with less than 5,000 miles on it. The Dodge is spectacular, 285 horsepower, 8" touchscreen, backup camera, remote start, keyless operation, etc. etc. I think American car manufacturers have come a long way over the last 4 years.

The Accord is nice, obviously long lasting.

I also own a 2001 Trooper that has a blown engine. The Trooper is known for burning oil, and that's what happened to this one (ran out of oil, engine locked up). I bought it cheap ($400), and will be rebuilding it before winter.

We owned a 2009 Caliber before the Journey, and it was a decent little car. Cheap, just like the price.

I owned a 2000 Toyota Celica, and that thing was the biggest piece of shit. I will never own another Toyota after my experience with that car.

All of my japanese built Dodge Stealth's were unreliable (I've owned 4 of them)

I had a 1988 Dodge Ram that was built like a rock, but I cash for clunkered it.

My 70 year old pickup, as seen in my avatar, was very well built and doesn't have a ton of rust. I'm impressed by that. And it will be all American, with a LSx engine (spectacular American made engine).

My parent's 2006 Cummins Dodge Ram is awesome, their 2001 Durango has always been great, and their 2007 Acura TL is a POS (sold to them as a certified pre-owned Acura, by an Acura dealer, and when it started leaking water my dad took the back seat out and saw shattered glass sitting there, and started noticing all the places where the panels were replaced. Looks like it had significant damage. "Certified pre-owned" means top to bottom inspection, and that the car wasn't wrecked. Dad thought about suing, but it wasn't worth the effort. He bought it from a dealer in Chicago, flew there and drove it home.)

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1314543697' post='1022527']
06 Corolla just paid off entirely this month! 106k and I will drive that car into the ground.
[/quote]

Good choice.

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' timestamp='1314549556' post='1022565']
[img]http://www.collegehunkshaulingjunk.com/Image%20Library/Partner/main-junk-car.jpg?code=08015125-bae4-4f89-a674-ddec3afa34fc[/img]

Jealous?
[/quote]
I bet you get all the bitches in that car. Looks like something that came from Price Hill.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1314548514' post='1022558']

You just can't let anything go, can you? Jeesh...
[/quote]

What are you talking about?

I had a conversation with someone, and it got me to thinking. So I moved that conversation here
and posed it to members here.

And for your info, I let plenty go. I haven't even responded to anyone's posts in this thread other
than Rumble's about a G6 and your's saying I never let anything go. Just because you don't notice
that I don't respond to shit, doesn't mean I don't let shit go.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1314501255' post='1022436']
i cant imagine buying an american car.... americans make shit...

honda toyota acura lexus will likely be my only car options for my whole life...
[/quote]

Then you'll be stuck with an inferior product and will be putting money into another
Countries economy. While your neighbors and maybe even family members lose their jobs.

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/17/american-car-quality-tops_n_616592.html"][size=6][color=#111111]American Car Quality Tops Foreign Car Quality, Finds J.D. Power And Associates[/color][/size][/url]

But hey. It's your money.

98 Toyota Camry - Drove it into the ground - used replacement engine hasn't been nearly the same. Also have a 96 Olds Ciera with 46k on it. Good condition, but that is because it was hardly driven and was taken care of.

If we had our choice, we'd probably get a Toyota Venza or maybe a Subaru. AWD would be great here in the winter. I dont'worry about high mileage on either brand.

Archived