1st in AFC --- Mid Season Awards

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1320642309' post='1058045']
Wow. I assumed that 2-0 in the division trumped 1-0, but if it's winning percentage, you're right.

HOLY SHIT !!!!!!

WE'RE #1 IN THE AFC! And they wouldn't even talk about us really being in the equation during and after tonight's game.
[/quote]
Well, in all fairness to NBC, they had bigger games to talk about. The Cowboys did beat a deceptively great Seahawk team at home to climb back to .500 and Tim Tebow, by the hand of the almighty savior, did crush the Oakland Raiders to climb to 3-5 and narrow their season point differential to [color=#ff0000]-53[/color].

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1320643651' post='1058056']
I expect the Browns to get a win on the Ravens this year.
[/quote]

You can't be serious. The Browns are HORRID on offense. Their top receiver is their TE Ben Watson with 303 yards and 2 TDs. They SUCK on offense. Defense is actually pretty good but they get so hosed on field position every game it is comical.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1320669155' post='1058108']
Well, in all fairness to NBC, they had bigger games to talk about. The Cowboys did beat a deceptively great Seahawk team at home to climb back to .500 and Tim Tebow, by the hand of the almighty savior, did crush the Oakland Raiders to climb to 3-5 and narrow their season point differential to [color=#FF0000]-53[/color].

You can't be serious. The Browns are HORRID on offense. Their top receiver is their TE Ben Watson with 303 yards and 2 TDs. They SUCK on offense. Defense is actually pretty good but they get so hosed on field position every game it is comical.
[/quote]

The D looked terrible against the run this week, like they've given up. That said, the Jax offense is hardly any better than the Browns. Never say never.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1320680684' post='1058199']

The D looked terrible against the run this week, like they've given up. That said, the Jax offense is hardly any better than the Browns. Never say never.
[/quote]
I know on any given Sunday but you can't win unless you score points. Cleveland simply can not score. They have no running game and their receivers are barfy.

Somebody just posted a breakdown of who the Stealers have played, and who the Ravens have played- comparing their easy schedules to our schedule... I cant find it anywhere in the threads. Anyone know where I can find that post? Ive looked through all the threads I think.

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1320682221' post='1058211']
Somebody just posted a breakdown of who the Stealers have played, and who the Ravens have played- comparing their easy schedules to our schedule... I cant find it anywhere in the threads. Anyone know where I can find that post? Ive looked through all the threads I think.
[/quote]

Steelers are easy - they have only beaten one team with a winning record - the Patriots.

[b] AFC North is best division in NFL[/b]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[indent=1]
By Jamison Hensley[/indent][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
If the season ended today, at the midway point of the regular season, three teams from the AFC North (Cincinnati, Baltimore and Pittsburgh) would make the playoffs. No other division can make that claim.

So, is the AFC North the best division in football? You certainly can make a convincing argument.

There's only one other division in the AFC that has three teams with winning records, and that's the AFC East. But the Ravens have beaten the Jets, the Bengals have edged the Bills and the Steelers have topped the Patriots.

The NFC has one division -- the NFC North -- with three teams boasting winning records. This division, though, is too top heavy. Take away the undefeated Packers (8-0) and the rest of the NFC North is a mediocre 12-11.

The AFC North's worst team, the [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/cle/cleveland-browns"]Cleveland Browns[/url] (3-5), wouldn't be in last place in five of the other seven divisions.

The question now is whether the AFC North will remain the strongest division over the final eight weeks of the regular season.[/size][/font][/color]

F'ing hilarious. Just listened to a sportscenter update on the radio during The Herd and they said "Baltimore gets a huge win in Pittsburgh last night to edge out the Steelers for first place in the AFC North. No mention of the Bengals at all. Not that they played. Not that they won. Not that they are in first place. Again, it cant be stated enough, that it doesnt matter what these idiots say, but when is enough enough?

[quote name='SouthPaw' timestamp='1320690237' post='1058282']
F'ing hilarious. Just listened to a sportscenter update on the radio during The Herd and they said "Baltimore gets a huge win in Pittsburgh last night to edge out the Steelers for first place in the AFC North. No mention of the Bengals at all. Not that they played. Not that they won. Not that they are in first place. Again, it cant be stated enough, that it doesnt matter what these idiots say, but when is enough enough?
[/quote]

and on sportscenter they made a point to mention that the bengals could just as easily be 2-6 right now.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1320691068' post='1058298']

and on sportscenter they made a point to mention that the bengals could just as easily be 2-6 right now.
[/quote]

yeah, and if my aunt had a dick, she could be my uncle. Fuck em'. 6 days away boys. 6 days.

[quote name='Jungletiger' timestamp='1320692191' post='1058326']
I wish the players had enough courage to call those tools out if they get interviewed.
[/quote]

They should accept the interview, and then sit there and act like they can't hear them when they try and interview them.. Make them waste a spot on bad TV.

We heard a lot more last year when the Bengals were in the middle of a 10 game winning streak, than we have in a 5 game ( and counting...) Winning streak. And we have heard more about the players they got rid of than the players they have. It's ludicrous, yet getting used to it.

^^^^^^^ Sorry... 10 game losing streak. :(

[b][size=6]Bengals talking playoffs at midpoint[/size][/b]

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Defensive lineman Domata Peko didn't realize the Cincinnati Bengals were at the top of the AFC until some of his teammates pointed it out.

Yes, the Bengals. At the season's midpoint, they're tied with Baltimore for the conference's best record at 6-2. That's a better winning percentage than the Patriots, the Jets, the Chargers and the rival Steelers.

It's a little hard to comprehend.

"That's crazy," Peko said Monday. "I just found that out right now. They just told me that in the training room. But we're not real big on looking at stats or things like that."

So far, they're big on one thing -- surprising people.

A team that many prognosticators picked to finish near the bottom of the league has put itself in position for a playoff run. The Bengals' 24-17 win at Tennessee on Sunday left them with a five-game winning streak for the first time since 1988, when they went to the Super Bowl.

Nobody's talking about this team and Super Bowl. The playoffs? That's no longer such a whimsical thought.

"Our goals are the same -- trying to win the AFC North and nothing less than the playoffs," Peko said. "That's what goals have been coming into the season and we just have to keep things rolling. There's nothing else we want to do but make the playoffs and take it from there."

The next five weeks will tell.

The Bengals opened the season with a win in Cleveland, pulling off a quick-snap touchdown against a Browns defense that was loitering instead of lining up. That's their only division game so far.

On Sunday, Pittsburgh (6-3) will bring thousands of fans to Paul Brown Stadium for the start of Cincinnati's telling stretch. The Bengals then go to Baltimore (6-2), play the Browns (3-5) again at home, and go to Pittsburgh. That's followed by a home game against Houston (6-3).

They haven't played anything like that stretch so far. Their first eight opponents have a combined 26-39 record.

"You have done a great job of setting yourself in a good position, but that good position doesn't mean anything if you don't capitalize on it," left tackle Andrew Whitworth said Monday. "So, it is great. It's more than people ever expected at this point even if we didn't do anything good from here, but it is not what we expected."

A win on Sunday would put recent history on their side. The Bengals also started 7-2 in 2005 and 2009. Both times, they won the division and lost in the first round of the playoffs. Those are their only two winning seasons in the past 20 years.

Expectations were so low that they didn't come close to filling 65,500-seat Paul Brown Stadium for any of their three regular-season home games so far this season. A win over Buffalo on Oct. 2 drew 41,142 fans, the smallest crowd for a regular-season game in the stadium's 12-year history.

The game against Pittsburgh on Sunday is sold out, partly a function of thousands of Steelers fans making the five-hour drive to fill the place. The Pittsburgh game at Paul Brown also sold out last season. Cincinnati had failed to sell out its last seven since then.

Also, Bengals fans are starting to think this team is worth watching.

A lot has changed in only half a season.

"I remember at the beginning of the season, we weren't supposed to win any games, were we?" Peko said, referring to some predictions they'd go 0-16. "So, surprise!"

NOTES:Coach Marvin Lewis said MLB Rey Maualuga, CB Adam "Pacman" Jones and TE Jermaine Gresham are expected back at practice this week. Maualuga has missed the last three games with a sprained ankle. Jones sat out the win at Tennessee with a pulled right hamstring. Gresham has missed two games with a hamstring injury. ... The Bengals are 4-1 on the road. They haven't had a winning road record since 2005, when they went 6-2. They were 4-4 on the road in 2006 and 2009.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/11/07/11/Bengals-talking-playoffs-at-midpoint/landing_bengals.html?blockID=598932&feedID=3665

From Brian Billick ....

[b] AFC North[/b]

[b][url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/cincinnati-bengals/67041"]Cincinnati Bengals[/url]: 6-2
[url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/baltimore-ravens/67065"]Baltimore Ravens[/url]: 6-2
[url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers/67067"]Pittsburgh Steelers[/url]: 6-3
[url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/cleveland-browns/67042"]Cleveland Browns[/url]: 3-5[/b]

The AFC North has the Bengals and Ravens tied atop the division, but the Steelers have just as many wins and will have the benefit of the late-season bye coming in Week 11. This division may have been decided last night with the Ravens win in Heinz Field, as they completed the season sweep over the Steelers.

How could I say that with the Bengals still sitting there? Well, they are just now entering the meat of their schedule and will have to face both the Steelers and the Ravens twice, and also will face division-leading Houston during that span. Those five games are more difficult than any game they have played thus far, and it starts next week as they host the Steelers.

Very different than the Bengals, the Ravens will benefit from a second-half schedule that includes four teams with losing records (Cleveland twice, Indy, and Seattle next week). The problem with that is they haven’t played all that well against teams with inferior talent such as the Titans, Jaguars and Cardinals.

Like the Ravens, the Steelers also have a winnable second-half schedule with games against Kansas City, Cleveland twice and St. Louis, but they will obviously need Baltimore to lose at least twice to get them back in the race. If the season ended today, all three teams would be in the playoffs, but I think it is highly unlikely this is the case at the end of the season. I predict the Ravens win the division and the Steelers get the wild card.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-playoff-picture-clearing-up-brian-billick-predictions-110711

You know whats funny. Nobody has mentioned the fact that maybe it couldnt have worked out better for the Bengals playing the "meat" of their schedule in the second half. Although Dalton has looked pretty competent for most of the season, those first 8 games have given him time to adjust to the NFL game even more. Its going to come down to execution. If they continue to execute in tight spots, they will play w/ anyone in the league.

Archived