Linky: [url="http://www.craveonline.com/sports/articles/178337-nfl-one-step-closer-to-returning-to-la"]http://www.craveonline.com/sports/articles/178337-nfl-one-step-closer-to-returning-to-la[/url]

[quote]
Pro football fans in Los Angeles should start to feel the excitement. It’s looking like a real possibility that the Los Angeles Chargers will play inside Farmers Field by 2016.

It’s been since the 90’s LA had NFL football before the Rams and Raiders skipped town, and as of this week the city is one step closer to having a new franchise.

AEG and their hired architect firm, Gensler, released new, revamped, renderings of what the stadium would look like sitting downtown next to Staples Center. In my opinion, the stadium looks like a futuristic wonder. Upon first glance, my eyebrows raised and my mouth slipped open. With a stellar view of the city from inside the 68,000 seater (which could expand to 78,000), the complex would also behold an easily deployable roof that could adjust the structure to both indoor and outdoor events.

Representative for Farmers Field, Tim Romani, regarding Gensler’s design: “We have really challenged the Gensler team to create a unique design for Farmers Field that is destined to become another distinguished signature building for Los Angeles and at the same time a remarkable achievement in venue functionality and sustainability…This stadium and event center will be like nothing you’ve ever seen or experienced.” Being so fresh and revolutionary, Farmers Field would not only bid for the Super Bowl, but the Final Four, World Cup and possibly the Olympics. The facility would also play host to conventions and concerts, as the structure would connect to what is left of the LA Convention Center.

Farmers Field remains on schedule to submit an Environmental Impact Report with the City in 2012. With that report expected to pass, groundbreaking could start by the end of next year as long as a team signs a long-term lease. There is also competition with Ed Roski and his group that have plans to build a stadium 40 minutes east of downtown at Grand Crossing. Either way, it looks like a venue will be completed by 2016, wherever it may end up. This means, of course, that the NFL could be in LA as soon as next season.

I had a source at the LA Times tell me back in 2008 that he guaranteed the NFL would be here by 2011, and that team would be the San Diego chargers. Although his time frame was held up, his argument for the team that moves here still seems valid. Not only is the Rose Bowl in the process of completing new renovations (they would host the new NFL team until the stadium is completed by 2016), but Commissioner, Roger Goodell, was in San Diego just last week in talks with the team in regards to their new stadium, and he hasn’t been shy about his push to have the NFL back in LA. It does make sense.

Los Angeles holds the second largest market in the country, the Chargers haven’t been happy with Qualcomm for years, and there is already a fan base for them here in LA. Heck, the team actually played their first season in Los Angeles in 1960 before heading south. It’s always a shame when fans have to lose their team, and San Diego sure has some great ones. But with perfect alignment in conferences, there is no need for an expansion team. That wouldn’t make financial sense either.

Other teams rumored to have interest in moving to LA include the Rams, Vikings, Bills and Jaguars, however if the Chargers want it, Farmers Field is theirs to lose.[/quote]

[quote name='T.O.C.H.O SHOW' timestamp='1323745763' post='1074595']
bengals fans should be glad fans arent showing. if fans show up your playing right into MBs hands. As long as he cant sell that game he will be forced to make changes to improve the team and fans are smart they still wont go if they wanna see the team win consistently.

Now if fans start showing up once the team wins again MB will have won and start going cheap again and the team will fall apart.

Dont fall into his trap, and dont show up no matter what.
[/quote]

This.^

Despite what many want to think, MB's long time season ticket holder has had enough and MB will have to prove winning over time and with playoff victorys for many to go back. Some will nver go back.

I know I will get blasted for this and many will throw out a thousand reasons why I am wrong -------- but, this team is no different than the 2009 team excpet they aren't likely to make the playoffs. Last place schedule, beat average and bad teams and cannot beat good teams. Will 2012 be different than 2010? Only time will tell and it will depend on the moves the front office makes to continue to move this team forward.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1323786019' post='1074646']

The WhoDeyRevolutionaries who frequent Bengal boards will never be satisfied...ever. Nothing short of MB's departure--or the Bengals as a franchise for that matter--will sate their chronic bellyaching. Try to look past them...if that is even possible.
[/quote]

I disagree. Build a team that wins playoff games every 1 out of 3 or 2 of 5 yrs with a chance at winning a SB and the people will support them. Funny, in many ways 2005 was very bad for MB. That team, managed correctly by the front office competes for a SB for 4-5 seasons and many out there know it.

[quote name='cwing' timestamp='1323812555' post='1074799']

I disagree. Build a team that wins playoff games every 1 out of 3 or 2 of 5 yrs with a chance at winning a SB and the people will support them. Funny, in many ways 2005 was very bad for MB. That team, managed correctly by the front office competes for a SB for 4-5 seasons and many out there know it.
[/quote]

how was it mismanaged? Injury to Carson, Odell and Henry's troubles, Pollack's career ending injury, Braham's career ending injury, Tab Perry and Chris Perry's injuries, Levi Jone's injury. ALL of that (and more) happened in the span of less than a year. What could the front office done to avoid any of them? (and if you argue that they shouldn't had drafted odell or henry, keep in mind the team doesn't win the division in 2005 without them).

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1323813108' post='1074801']

how was it mismanaged? Injury to Carson, Odell and Henry's troubles, Pollack's career ending injury, Braham's career ending injury, Tab Perry and Chris Perry's injuries, Levi Jone's injury. ALL of that (and more) happened in the span of less than a year. What could the front office done to avoid any of them? (and if you argue that they shouldn't had drafted odell or henry, keep in mind the team doesn't win the division in 2005 without them).
[/quote]

I do not disagree that those issues. I will also add that there were many other real issues. However, those type of issues happen to EVERY team in the NFL.

You refer to Jones and Braham as issues that occured in a single yr and I agree. However, how do those issues carry over for 3 + yrs. When Jones was showing wear, who was brought in to push him? Braham was near retirement and had singed several 1 yr deals. Who was brought in to push him and how did Guycheck remain teh starter for more then 2 full season? I agree those issues that had to be overcome. However, the events or lack of that took place as a result prove my point.

In my opinion, this front office continues as they always have, that being take a reactive and seldom proactive approach. Look no farther than JJ this year. A guy now being referred to as a shutdown corner in a league that has only 3-4 of them. They had the funds to secure him. They decided they could do better by letting him test the waters and letting the market set his price. They lost. The DC became very upset with this process and said so in the media.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1323705898' post='1074434']

Reading Philly.com every day...why not talk about the Los Angeles Eagles while we're at it?
[/quote]

Yeah, it's been a rocky season for the iggles fans but with every possible season ticket purchased and a waiting list of over 50k no way LA gets them.

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1323661697' post='1074313']

Come on, you dont break a $550,000,000 lease. It doesnt happen. Period. The penalty of breaking a lease on something that expensive would likely be enough that they would have to sell the team just to absorb the cost.

It is completely irrational to think they can up and move from a county that built them a half BILLION dollar stadium.

This isnt an apartment lease, or a restaurant space lease. This is one of the most expensive stadiums in the country. There is no feasible way for them to walk away, other than Hamilton county defaulting on their end, which I dont think could happen either.
[/quote]

You're being a little naive to what big money and big lawyers can do. If the LA group wants teams bad enough they could make it happen. Oh BTW, the NFL wants it too - I read the plan is to have 2 teams playing in 2016. Jax will drop first and then we'll see who #2 is. Just sayin'.

[quote name='cwing' timestamp='1323815037' post='1074813']

I do not disagree that those issues. I will also add that there were many other real issues. However, those type of issues happen to EVERY team in the NFL.

You refer to Jones and Braham as issues that occured in a single yr and I agree. However, how do those issues carry over for 3 + yrs. When Jones was showing wear, who was brought in to push him? Braham was near retirement and had singed several 1 yr deals. Who was brought in to push him and how did Guycheck remain teh starter for more then 2 full season? I agree those issues that had to be overcome. However, the events or lack of that took place as a result prove my point.

In my opinion, this front office continues as they always have, that being take a reactive and seldom proactive approach. Look no farther than JJ this year. A guy now being referred to as a shutdown corner in a league that has only 3-4 of them. They had the funds to secure him. They decided they could do better by letting him test the waters and letting the market set his price. They lost. The DC became very upset with this process and said so in the media.
[/quote]

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1323660263' post='1074306']
Why do people continue to say the team can move?

They are locked into a lease for another 20 years or so.

They cant move.

And, funny this thread is started after Marvin coached this team into one of the most embarrassing "performances" of his tenure. While the beginning of the season was a great story, the Mike Brown Bengals deserve small crowds. Its about 15 years too late, but the backlash is the only thing that forced MB to make ANY changes this offseason, and I for one, am happy to see it continue. Its a small glimmer of hope, small glimmer, that maybe he will be forced to make more changes. Between the economy and the ridiculous failure rate of MB, people arent willing to fork over the cash right now. I dont blame them at all. Personally, I would have gone to some games if I lived in Cincy, but I would be enraged to spend money on the bullshit they threw out onto the field the past few games.
[/quote]
I went, and spent $7.50 on a fucking Hot Chocolate for my 11 Year Old nephew. WTF. No wonder peeps don't go.

[quote name='Smizno' timestamp='1323816945' post='1074823']
I went, and spent $7.50 on a fucking Hot Chocolate for my 11 Year Old nephew. WTF. No wonder peeps don't go.
[/quote]

You got robbed big time. Took my kids to first watch and had a heck of a brunch for 29 dollars and then watched the game for free at the house on the webz to be disappointed big time at the end. That game had me disgusted at the end. But I still like this young team aint gonna lie just sick of how we lost at the end.

[quote name='cwing' timestamp='1323815037' post='1074813']

[/quote]

You're assuming the bengals will hit on every player they draft or that every free agent brought in will pan out. That doesn't happen for any NFL team. We've had a lot of bad luck. There's just no other way to put it. We have. Yes we should've tagged JJ but the lockout and the carson situation I'm sure played a role in that. And they decided that Hall was the one they were going to keep. We couldn't have kept both.

Games like this past weekend sicken a fan base and has happened to us far too often, but its just stupid to blame Mike and keep feeding this myth that all he cares about is lining his own pockets when there is only so much he can control and many more variables that he can't.

[quote name='cwing' timestamp='1323811570' post='1074792']

20-30-40 yr season tickets holders finally had enough and they are the issue. Classic.[/quote]

I would never say all of them, or even most, but some of those lifer season ticket holders are a problem. There are three pockets of them near me who are miserable bastards. They never make a peep when the defense is on the field, talk shit about the offense unless they have a huge gain, and throw up their long time season ticket status as a shield when you ask them why they're such wangs all the time... Sitting through the nineties doesn't give you the right to be a dick now.

Again, a minority, but one type of fan that blows.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1323817692' post='1074826']
You're assuming the bengals will hit on every player they draft or that every free agent brought in will pan out. That doesn't happen for any NFL team. We've had a lot of bad luck. There's just no other way to put it. We have. Yes we should've tagged JJ but the lockout and the carson situation I'm sure played a role in that. And they decided that Hall was the one they were going to keep. We couldn't have kept both.

Games like this past weekend sicken a fan base and has happened to us far too often, but its just stupid to blame Mike and keep feeding this myth that all he cares about is lining his own pockets when there is only so much he can control and many more variables that he can't.
[/quote]

First, ------ no. I understand teams do not hit on everyone. In fact, the draft is less than 50%. That said, no one can show that there was a priority in replacing these guys. Again, I would point to the lack of effort in replacing Guycheck and Levi. I also ask, how has Livings remained the starter for as long as he has.

Second --- no such thng as luck and ALL teams have these kind of events. Bengals fans is more aware of the issues on his team but these occur everywhere.

Third --- I'd question the talent evaluator that chose Hall over JJ. No comparsion in talent level and never has been. I like what Hall brought to the table but Hall is not on the same planet as JJ and never has been.

Forth ---- This has nothing to do with the loss against the Texans. It has nothing to do with losing 4 of the last 5. It has everything to do with ZERO playoff wins in 20+ seasons.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1323818515' post='1074829']
I would never say all of them, or even most, but some of those lifer season ticket holders are a problem. There are three pockets of them near me who are miserable bastards. They never make a peep when the defense is on the field, talk shit about the offense unless they have a huge gain, and throw up their long time season ticket status as a shield when you ask them why they're such wangs all the time... Sitting through the nineties doesn't give you the right to be a dick now.

Again, a minority, but one type of fan that blows.
[/quote]

I do not disagree but they got nothing on bandwagon jumper newbie. These guys think they are going to teach everyone how to be a fan all the while they are screaming to the top of their lungs, banging on the seat in front of them when the Bengals offense has the ball.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1323747671' post='1074598']
Stupid. Now were back to blaming mike for no changes even though there was as much of an overhaul in the offseason as there could possibly be with the exception of coaches. Some people are completely clueless.
[/quote]
there was a lot of positive changes in the off season but thats just b/c he lost the fans. And he probably will continue to make positive changes until he gets the fans back again and starts selling out. And once that happens again he will go cheap again and the bengals will be chaos and poor again.

Every season attendance is bad is a good season bc that means the team is winning.

[quote name='cwing' timestamp='1323821336' post='1074834']

First, ------ no. I understand teams do not hit on everyone. In fact, the draft is less than 50%. That said, no one can show that there was a priority in replacing these guys. Again, I would point to the lack of effort in replacing Guycheck and Levi. I also ask, how has Livings remained the starter for as long as he has.

Second --- no such thng as luck and ALL teams have these kind of events. Bengals fans is more aware of the issues on his team but these occur everywhere.

Third --- I'd question the talent evaluator that chose Hall over JJ. No comparsion in talent level and never has been. I like what Hall brought to the table but Hall is not on the same planet as JJ and never has been.

Forth ---- This has nothing to do with the loss against the Texans. It has nothing to do with losing 4 of the last 5. It has everything to do with ZERO playoff wins in 20+ seasons.
[/quote]

JJ was injured quite often for us wasn't he? Hall was pretty durable, and as luck would have it, blows out his achilees this year. Didnt we look at some guards this offesaon? We drafted Boling. Guycheck sucked no doubt but then they drafted Luigs and he must've sucked worse because he's not here anymore. Even over the last 20 years. They didnt plan on Kijana Carter have a career ending injury, on Akili Smith or Klingler being busts, on big Daddy being a bust, Warrick, or Fisher the CB blowing out his knee. All these things set them back espescially the QB busts. You can call it bad talent evaluation but to me it's shitty luck at important positions that keep setting us back.

Im not saying he hasn't made bad choices but thats easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. My major criticism of him now is lets get the ball rolling on an indoor practice facility because it will help attract free agents and provide better quality practices this time of the year.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1323817692' post='1074826']
You're assuming the bengals will hit on every player they draft or that every free agent brought in will pan out. That doesn't happen for any NFL team. We've had a lot of bad luck. There's just no other way to put it. We have. Yes we should've tagged JJ but the lockout and the carson situation I'm sure played a role in that. And they decided that Hall was the one they were going to keep. [b]We couldn't have kept both.[/b]

[/quote]

The Bolded is the part i have a problem with. Why draft the same (highly paid) position in consecutive years if you couldn't/wouldn't tie up the money in said position after their rookie contracts? Did they draft both of them knowing they would only tie up one of them long term?

If those 20,000 empty seats used to be filled with the sort of fan that keeps Paul Daugherty in print, calls the "Jerk Line" because the people in front of them were standing up, thinks the Bengals should be "more like Pittsburgh"? Fuck'em, I'd call that a good start.

[quote name='NYbengals' timestamp='1323825393' post='1074848']

The Bolded is the part i have a problem with. Why draft the same (highly paid) position in consecutive years if you couldn't/wouldn't tie up the money in said position after their rookie contracts? Did they draft both of them knowing they would only tie up one of them long term?
[/quote]

Good point but in the end JJ chose to leave for his own reasons. I think the bengals made him a fair offer considering his durability.

Archived