Stanford Routt visiting: (update) signed with Chiefs

[quote name='FulcherVulcher33' timestamp='1329764056' post='1097543']
Get Carr and tyvon branch,resign nelson and the secondary is instantly better
[/quote]
Branch is fucking fast tooooo dude
Lol when i play madden he got 95 speed and hes the fastest strong safety i think
ran a 4.31

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' timestamp='1329764088' post='1097544']
i would have given him 3 years 20 million in a heart beat. he fits our system perfectly and we need a corner who can actually cover WRs who have speed. Leon cannot cover speed and neither can Clements. Kinda need to be able to stop Torrey Smith and Mike Wallace and none of our current corners have the speed to do so.
[/quote]
Would you have given him $20 mil of your own money? Anyway, Routt sure didn't draw much interest arounds the league. Surprising. You would think a guy with his size,speed and experience, and playing a premium position like CB, would have generated more heat in the market. This probably means Brandon Carr hits the market. He will be very expensive and may get a contract bigger than J.Joe got last year.

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1329765360' post='1097560']
Would you have given him $20 mil of your own money? Anyway, Routt sure didn't draw much interest arounds the league. Surprising. You would think a guy with his size,speed and experience, and playing a premium position like CB, would have generated more heat in the market. This probably means Brandon Carr hits the market. He will be very expensive and may get a contract bigger than J.Joe got last year.
[/quote]

I don't see how you can say that he had no interest. He had three interviews, and cancelled a few others. And he got a good contract. Not bad, especially coming off the season he just had, which was iffy.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1329761933' post='1097523']

That depends on how much they care about the troubled history of Janoris Jenkins. I think he's likely to be the only CB better than Routt available in 1. But I don't like his history.
[/quote]

For one year, you might be right. But I'm not convinced that longer-term, others like a Stephon Gilmore or a Leonard Johnson won't be better, and they'll come cheaper for now.

As for FAs, 3 years and $20M may get you Carr or Grimes, but I'm guessing that Finnegan may get more. Hard to say.

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1329765360' post='1097560']
[/quote]

Routt had a sub-par year last year, but he still had a number of teams interested.

As for Carr, he's good, but isn't in Joseph's class, IMO. He had a nice year, but his body of work wasn't what J-Joe's was coming into FA, although Joseph did have the injury history. Carr will get a nice contract, no doubt, and since KC already has Flowers at the other CB (with a $50+M contract), I agree that Carr will likely be hitting the FA market next month.

Well I kinda gave you a hint this happened, but I couldn't say anything definite of coarse. While he was in Cincy his agent received the phone call with the Chiefs offer. He really wanted to play in Cincy but they didn't want to match the high offer. "More pressing needs." So the Bengals 'could' have had him.

:ph34r:

Would have liked to have him, but he is up there in age at 28. Carr would be great. 25 years old and is pretty big too. Could probably jam slot receivers effectively. Played in a defense that only gave up 200 yards of passing a game. 4 interceptions and only 17 yards total returned probably means he made some picks playing tight coverage.

I imagine since they went with Routt over him, he is probably trying to get paid though.

Saw an article today on PFT that Finnegan is trying to become one of the top paid corners and that Chiefs skipped using franchise tag on Carr so they could use it on Bowe. Both of those guys are going in to try to get the ultimate pay-day. Unless their price-tag comes down, our starting corner is going to be pick 17 or 21.

Hopefully the market can drive the price-tag down, because it's awfully hard to justify spending 10, 10, and 5 on three corners.

[b]OUT ROUTT:[/b] According to Pro Football Talk.com cornerback Stanford Routt, on the market after he was let go by the Raiders, toured Buffalo, Kansas City and Cincinnati before he chose the Chiefs Monday for what has been reported as a three-year, $20 million deal.

It seems like the Bengals were practicing more due diligence than anything else. Routt, a good bump-and-run player, doesn't really fit their scheme since he isn't known as a physical player when it comes to supporting the run, a prerequisite for defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-New-back-right-at-home-Whit-in-stat-elite/01168861-65fc-42f3-88e1-830466ff8ffd

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1329779527' post='1097672']
[b]OUT ROUTT:[/b] According to Pro Football Talk.com cornerback Stanford Routt, on the market after he was let go by the Raiders, toured Buffalo, Kansas City and Cincinnati before he chose the Chiefs Monday for what has been reported as a three-year, $20 million deal.

It seems like the Bengals were practicing more due diligence than anything else. Routt, a good bump-and-run player, doesn't really fit their scheme since he isn't known as a physical player when it comes to supporting the run, a prerequisite for defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-New-back-right-at-home-Whit-in-stat-elite/01168861-65fc-42f3-88e1-830466ff8ffd"]http://www.bengals.c...e1-830466ff8ffd[/url]
[/quote]

That's kind of B.S. Saying Routt, who got called for tons of penalties last year, isn't physical is dumb. Sometimes PFT scoops stuff, and sometimes it writes articles purely on specualation. I like how they were at one time taking all of Reedy's tweets, which was second hand info, and then writing it as the gospel. Shame on them. No wonder Reedy is in the dog house with the organization. Reedy even made a tweet about them using him as a reference.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1329779728' post='1097673']

That's kind of B.S. Saying Routt, who got called for tons of penalties last year, isn't physical is dumb. Sometimes PFT scoops stuff, and sometimes it writes articles purely on specualation. I like how they were at one time taking all of Reedy's tweets, which was second hand info, and then writing it as the gospel. Shame on them. No wonder Reedy is in the dog house with the organization. Reedy even made a tweet about them using him as a reference.
[/quote]

They did say "in terms of run defense" or something like that.

I still don't see it. Oakland had a top defense prior to this year and part of that was the run defense. He was a big part of those defenses and I don't see a guy that is physical with WRs being scared to hit a guy in the running game. Just sounds like the writer is using deflection. The major reason he didn't sign with the Bengals was the size of the contract, not what he does on the field.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1329770531' post='1097604']
All I know is that 2 years ago he was an emerging shut down corner, but can someone please give a more detailed lowdown on Brandon Carr's strengths and weaknesses, how he performed this past year, and how he ranks amongst the other top NFL corners right now?
[/quote]

carr is a damn good cover corner, but he is an elite zone coverage corner. id take him in a heart beat but i dont think we will spend what he is going to get on the market.

routt would have been good cuz he's meant to play in man and cannot play in zone. thats why his interest was less, but he was still wanted by 6 teams.

Archived