Lewis plans to talk to Bengals about extension

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1330318643' post='1099584']
Still haven't seen anyone explain how Marvin is responsible for the playoff losses.
[/quote]

Marvin's never loss a game in Cincinnati. All losses are the fault of Mike Brown, Brat, Bresh, or random player.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1330359782' post='1099663']

That's fine, but there isn't any need to caricature the other position as 'loving mediocrity' or some such. Look how much good SD did for themselves by firing 'loser' coaches like Marty Schottenheimer.

Well that dressing up like Kimo and taking out Carson's knee was pretty severe.
[/quote]

LOL, Marvin is closer to Norv Turner than he is Marty Schottenhiemer.

Correct if I'm wrong but Marty has won a game in the playoffs. He has also won playoff games in back to back years.

If Marvin had a record like Marty's your point would have merit. He doesn't and that's why this debate exist.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1330361746' post='1099680']

Correct if I'm wrong but Marty has won a game in the playoffs. He has also won playoff games in back to back years.

If Marvin had a record like Marty's your point would have merit. He doesn't and that's why this debate exist.
[/quote]

If we played in a dipshit division like the AFCW, he'd have all of those.

Everyone used to claim how bad our coaching staff was and how the team had no respect around the league. Marvin has changed a lot of that. I just see a lot more negatives that can come of hiring someone like Raheem Morris and getting right back on that cycle. Even a great coach can reach the point where his team doesn't buy into his act - I saw that with Ditka in Chicago. Marvin isn't there yet, and I like what he brings to the table off the field.

I'll pay the tax of losing a timeout or settling for a FG for bad clock management every so often.

Debate is fine - its the 'anyone who doesn't sack Marvin and burn down his house doesn't want to win' crowd that gets me tired.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1330361746' post='1099680']

[/quote]

I wasn't comparting their skill, just using MS as an example where sacking the coach for not getting you over the hump didn't play out.

I think Marty's 'problem' is that he is so good about squeezing pretty good play out of average talent that the front office gets lazy. Marty takes a 7-9 team to 9-7 or 10-6. Therefore no need to load up on talent, or get rid of some the players that get you to the playoffs each year. But when faced by the average playoff calibre team, the 'play safe and smart' doesn't separate the teams and the extra talent takes hold.

I think they should give him a contract that says on the first line, win a playoff game this year and this contract is valid for ten years and you will be a top paid coach... Dont win and the team has an option out clause, come see me after the final game and we will discuss your future with the team

[quote name='westside bengal' timestamp='1330368063' post='1099732']
If Marvin does get his extension now I only have one special request......

Could Mike write in a clause that gives someone else the responsiblity for throwing the challenge flag?
[/quote]

Somebody else already has that responsibility. Coaches up in the booth who have access to the replays tell him whether to challenge.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1330315085' post='1099572']

Keep the same coach and you will keep getting the same results.
[/quote]

So spending an extra $30 million on playesr won't make any difference at all?

I wonder why the Pats keep spending all of that money on players when they don't even matter. They have the best coach in the league so why spend up to the cap?

While Marvin has his flaws, like all of human beings, he's the best man for the job. He knows what it takes to effectively deal with Mike Brown, he's vested in the long term success and not some coach looking for a bigger & better opportunity, and he's a good coach who knows what it takes to win. I'll admit I get frustrated with Marvin when the team doesn't perform well, the late season collapses and not showing up in big games still sting, but I think Marvin should get atleast 3 more years to see what he can do with the young guys. This franchise is on the verge of finally putting the 90's and the perception of the Bengals being losers to bed finally and alot of that has to do with Marvin Lewis.

He took the team everyone and their mother swore would have the first pick in this year's draft to the playoffs, and he did it with nobodies and rookies. Give the man an extension. If the Bengals suck this year, fire him.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1330380350' post='1099811']
He took the team everyone and their mother swore would have the first pick in this year's draft to the playoffs, and he did it with nobodies and rookies. Give the man an extension. If the Bengals suck this year, fire him.
[/quote]

Exactly

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1330381673' post='1099813']
Exactly
[/quote]

I give credit for the record I would never have believed to Gruden and Zimmer. Particularly Gruden.

And Mike Brown is not going to fire someone still under contract and eat the money.
Hey... we as much as got Hue Jackson free because Oakland did that.

For the record, I do think Marv will get the extension but I would much rather see it be evaluated near the end of the season.
As someone pointed out, we have two strong head coaching candidates on the staff in Gruden and Zimmer and one with
head coaching experience in Hue Jackson. Don't forget Forrest Greg came here with a bad rep when PB hired him and look
how that turned out.

Wasn't Forrest Gregg [b]essentially[/b] fired despite being a decent coach?

[b][edit][/b]

[i]I qualify it with essentially, because he wasn't technically fired. He was allowed to interview, and take a job, with Green Bay despite having a year left on his contract... My understanding was that it was a way to fire him without owing him any money.[/i]

His teams consistently fall on their face in the last 1/4 of the season. Id like to see that change this season, probably as much as Id like to see a playoff win. Finish the season strong in a meaningful season, Id be a little more accepting of giving him an extension if that happened.

[quote name='bengals8580' timestamp='1330385214' post='1099835']
His teams consistently fall on their face in the last 1/4 of the season. Id like to see that change this season, probably as much as Id like to see a playoff win. Finish the season strong in a meaningful season, Id be a little more accepting of giving him an extension if that happened.
[/quote]

I think a some of that comes down to injuries, and a lack of depth. We're still a team that has big time trouble getting production out of the backups. I think these past two, and next two drafts should really help with that... I hope we do a better job of finding the small project guys like Dunlap, and shy away from the big project guys like Simpson. There's too much need for every player to actually play to be hiding guys on the active roster.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1330384621' post='1099833']
Wasn't Forrest Gregg [b]essentially[/b] fired despite being a decent coach?

[b][edit][/b]

[i]I qualify it with essentially, because he wasn't technically fired. He was allowed to interview, and take a job, with Green Bay despite having a year left on his contract... My understanding was that it was a way to fire him without owing him any money.[/i]
[/quote]

There is still the difference of opinion to this day whether Sam Wyche was fired or he quit.

And as rumor has it, both wanted more control of the team. Correct me if I am wrong.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1330373697' post='1099785']
Is that not his team out there, or am I going fucking crazy?
[/quote]

At some point you have to put it on the guys on the field, don't you? Particularly when dropped balls are losing you the game.

All he can do is upgrade those positions once they screw up, which he probably will in the next few months. It's not like Scott or Crocker were just garbage players that had no business ever being on the field.

Still haven't seen a compelling reason offered for how Marvin lost the playoff games.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1330442819' post='1100052']

At some point you have to put it on the guys on the field, don't you? Particularly when dropped balls are losing you the game.

All he can do is upgrade those positions once they screw up, which he probably will in the next few months. It's not like Scott or Crocker were just garbage players that had no business ever being on the field.

Still haven't seen a compelling reason offered for how Marvin lost the playoff games.
[/quote]

The bigger issue is he hasn't won one. So can you sit here and say Marvin got his the best performance of his team on the day of the playoff game?

Fact: No playoff victories in 10 seasons. I don't see how that equates to success or deserves rewarding.

Basically what every one is saying is, "It could be worse so lets stick with this and hope for better."

A head coach with one NFL organization has a shelf life before they become complacent and a bit too comfortable. Some would suggest that that shelf life is 8 years. Marvin is a good HC but he's not a master motivator or tactician. Imagine the life a Jim Harbaugh type would breathe into this young team.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1330385857' post='1099839']

I think a some of that comes down to injuries, and a lack of depth. We're still a team that has big time trouble getting production out of the backups. I think these past two, and next two drafts should really help with that... I hope we do a better job of finding the small project guys like Dunlap, and shy away from the big project guys like Simpson. There's too much need for every player to actually play to be hiding guys on the active roster.
[/quote]

Im not just referring to this year. Its every year. If we've had a problem with depth for 10 years then thats Marvin's problem. Injuries happen, cant be an excuse.

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1330553851' post='1100718']
Fact: No playoff victories in 10 seasons. I don't see how that equates to success or deserves rewarding.

Basically what every one is saying is, "It could be worse so lets stick with this and hope for better."

A head coach with one NFL organization has a shelf life before they become complacent and a bit too comfortable. Some would suggest that that shelf life is 8 years. Marvin is a good HC but he's not a master motivator or tactician. Imagine the life a Jim Harbaugh type would breathe into this young team.
[/quote]
This. Like, no fucking way he deserves an extension right now. That'd be like extending Andy because he had a good rookie year. No. Just no.

The problem with letting Marvin go now is that we have a young team, and bringing in a new HC could come with a change in coaching staffs. With a team this young, changing staffs and playbooks could be pretty rough when we should be focusing on the long term...especially if it's a promising hire that turns bad very quickly. As we all know it's hard to claw your way out of the cellar in the NFL.

I'd give Marvin 2 more years. If he gets a playoff win, he gets another two added on. If he gets a AFC title, he gets 4 years added on, if he gets a Superbowl then team becomes the Cincinnati Marvins he becomes GM For Life with 15% added to his salary and will have the power to call plays from his his privacy suite/strip club blimp that circles the field during the game.

[quote name='joshua' timestamp='1330760006' post='1101689']
The problem with letting Marvin go now is that we have a young team, and bringing in a new HC could come with a change in coaching staffs. With a team this young, changing staffs and playbooks could be pretty rough when we should be focusing on the long term...especially if it's a promising hire that turns bad very quickly. As we all know it's hard to claw your way out of the cellar in the NFL.

I'd give Marvin 2 more years. If he gets a playoff win, he gets another two added on. If he gets a AFC title, he gets 4 years added on, if he gets a Superbowl then team becomes the Cincinnati Marvins he becomes GM For Life with 15% added to his salary and will have the power to call plays from his his privacy suite/strip club blimp that circles the field during the game.
[/quote]

Damn...I want the blimp NOW.

And tiger cubs on the field.

Archived