Andre Smith surfaces happy, healthy; Dalton gets first work with rookies Tuesday

[b] Notes: Smith surfaces happy, healthy[/b]
[color=#393939]
Right tackle [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/andre-smith/5796e85d-6992-4b91-9630-fde615747967/"]Andre Smith[/url]'s offseason picked up right where the last one left off.[/color][color=#393939]
In the gym.[/color][color=#393939]
Smith continues to look in terrific shape and Monday, when the Bengals began their fifth week of conditioning he reported he's at 330 pounds with the hopes of getting to 325 at some point.[/color][color=#393939]
"Last year I wasn't in as good as shape as I could have been, but it was the smallest I'd been in the NFL so I was able to maintain it playing the game," Smith said. "This year I want to be in tip-top shape. Put together strength and wind so I can breathe."[/color][color=#393939]
Smith knows what happens if he has a breath-taking year. The Bengals didn't pick up a $6 million option back in August to expand his deal for two more years, so this is a contract year.[/color][color=#393939]
"They made the decision and I had a good season so I'm just going for the snowball effect and get even better this year," Smith said. "It's a big year for me and the Bengals organization. "We've got a good schedule with a lot of tough teams and I'm just going to play and let my film speak for itself."[/color][color=#393939]
Save for a lapse or two during a game, Smith had a solid season in '11. Particularly considering it was the first one he was healthy enough to play one more game than he had played his first two seasons combined by starting 14 games.[/color][color=#393939]
"I want to be a dominant run blocker. I want to get back to what I was in college," he said. "Disciplined at all times."[/color][color=#393939]
He has certainly been that in the offseason, even with his wedding approaching. He and his fiancée teamed up and worked out together at a gym near their home in Birmingham, Ala.[/color][color=#393939]
"I'm happy and healthy," Smith said. "The goals are to get deep into the playoffs, not just make it, but get in and win, and personally just trying to stay healthy."[/color][color=#393939]
[b]SLANTS AND SCREENS:[/b] Wide receiver [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/armon-binns/c95674cc-e1f2-48f0-ac2d-5d4e141ab158/"]Armon Binns[/url] also picked up where he left off. He ended last season giving DBs fits trying to cover him in practice and he was all over the field at last weekend's rookie minicamp making catches. Over the offseason the coaches told him to work on pad level and he got some results.[/color][color=#393939]
"Especially when I was coming off the ball," Binns said. "Getting (low) in and out of my breaks." …[/color][color=#393939]
Binns used his advantage of being around an NFL team for a year during the weekend, but he noticed the draft picks, third-rounder [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/mohamed-sanu/2ec826da-ce44-498c-8d77-174bbd664114/"]Mohamed Sanu[/url] and fifth-rounder [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/marvin-jones/1e8a8414-cc83-4d5e-a61a-9236316539e4/"]Marvin Jones[/url].[/color][color=#393939]
"They're both real good. They bring different things to the table," Binns said. "Marvin's a lot quicker, a lot longer, and I think Mohamed's just a big physical receiver that can make all the catches."[/color][color=#393939]
The 6-3, 210-pound Binns can see some similarities in the 6-2, 210-pound Sanu:[/color][color=#393939]
"He's a possession guy but he can get in and out of his breaks real quick." …[/color][color=#393939]
Quarterback [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/andy-dalton/9378c4ed-938c-434c-929d-4d45fe252101/"]Andy Dalton[/url] is looking forward to throwing to the rookies for the first time Tuesday in his first official act as a veteran. After the quarterbacks loosened up tossing it around Monday morning, Dalton planned to watch his new guys on the camp tape in preparation for the first voluntary practice May 22.[/color][color=#393939]
"It's been awhile since we've done a lot of team stuff," he said. "Right now we're just throwing to the receivers. I'm excited for us to get out there and work." …[/color]

I really think he's going to build on everything he did last year. I watched the first game against the Ravens and knowing they couldn't really beat Whit on the L side, they tried to swing him to the R side to take advantage of Andre and he did just as good of a job on him as Whit did. And the second Steelers game they ran prodominantly to the R side, he and Bobby did a great job run blocking that day.

I've mentioned this a couple times already, but the Bengals top priority as far as player contracts should be to get Andre an extension. I suspect he is primed to have a very good season at RT and be in position to command a very big contract in FA next March. And with losing Joseph in FA and trading Rivers, they've lost too many 1st rounders already and need to hold on to Smith.

It'll be cheaper now than it will be if they wait.

I'll also add that an additional bonus to extending Andre Smith now is that it would mean the entire starting offense would be signed for at least the next 3 years. That kind of continuity would be huge for a young team with so many emerging talents.

And with the talent on the O Line, if they can have that type of long term continuity that is so rare in today's NFL, they really could develop into an elite OL.

i think they might have screwed the pooch on that one, by not taking up the option when they had a chance to last year. going by what's in that article, it looks like andre's content to wait until he hits free agency, before doing anything. this one doesn't look good.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1337022175' post='1130608']
i think they might have screwed the pooch on that one, by not taking up the option when they had a chance to last year. going by what's in that article, it looks like andre's content to wait until he hits free agency, before doing anything. this one doesn't look good.
[/quote]

yeah, I was kinda thinking that too. If they don't do it soon, it's going to cost a lot more. Unless you think Collins can come in and do the same

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1337022417' post='1130610']
yeah, I was kinda thinking that too. If they don't do it soon, it's going to cost a lot more. Unless you think Collins can come in and do the same
[/quote]

i'd have to assume your use of "you" in this case refers to the team's thinking, not mine. i've been so outspoken on this subject, that i'd have to assume my views are pretty well known.

[/quote]

This.

He won't get any cheaper if he plays the way he began to play last year...which he will (never had a doubt). Fortunately, we will have mucho bucks to play with this off season, so we can still more than likely get him his coin. $6mm is going to look mighty good by the time this season ends though.

[/quote]

What were the dollar amounts? Big part of it. Andre Smith, although he had his best season that happened to be a solid season. He still is far from the out of box pro bowler he once was supposed to be.

If people are honest about it we are still talking a large part of him being potential and hoping he can still be that prospect. What if he flatlines this season and what he was last season is what you are really going to get? I'd have to see those per year amounts before I'd really start worrying about who screwed the pooch.

The reality of it is if he has a bad season or injury he's not far off from back to being a bust.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1337025392' post='1130623']
What were the dollar amounts? Big part of it. Andre Smith, although he had his best season that happened to be a solid season. He still is far from the out of box pro bowler he once was supposed to be.

If people are honest about it we are still talking a large part of him being potential and hoping he can still be that prospect. What if he flatlines this season and what he was last season is what you are really going to get? I'd have to see those per year amounts before I'd really start worrying about who screwed the pooch.

The reality of it is if he has a bad season or injury he's not far off from back to being a bust.
[/quote]

He also seemed to be the typical case of big money rookie without the drive to actually earn it until last year. I don't blame them at all for not picking up the option at the time. I still feel like he basically was stealing money from the team those first two years, and a decent season last year isn't enough for me to get rid of the bad taste. I know he was injured, but even he has said he wasn't as committed as he should have been.

IIRC they had to pick up the option before the 2011 league year started and there was too many ?s surrounding him at that time. Let him play this year out and if he's a Pro-Bowl caliber RT we'll be in a position to pay him like that. If not, Anthony Collins steps in.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1337027654' post='1130634']
IIRC they had to pick up the option before the 2011 league year started and there was too many ?s surrounding him at that time. Let him play this year out and if he's a Pro-Bowl caliber RT we'll be in a position to pay him like that. If not, Anthony Collins steps in.
[/quote]

exactly. It was a crapshoot either way. It was a risk to pick it up, a risk not to. Based on his first two years you can't really fault the team for not committing another $14 million to him.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1337026763' post='1130630']
He also seemed to be the typical case of big money rookie without the drive to actually earn it until last year. I don't blame them at all for not picking up the option at the time. I still feel like he basically was stealing money from the team those first two years, and a decent season last year isn't enough for me to get rid of the bad taste. I know he was injured, but even he has said he wasn't as committed as he should have been.
[/quote]

the only problem i have with that is, and i stand to be corrected here, but i think andre smith was the only 1st round pick to have that option put in his contract. that's what the draft has always been about. you're taking a risk with these kids, especially with high 1st round picks, that they'll evolve into something special. you don't fold your cards too early, and you don't sell your stocks with the 1st plunge in the market. the mindset shouldn't be how quick can i get out of this deal. moreso, how can i mold this guy into an asset that's worth all that money, where he turns into one of the better players in the league. that takes time. top shelf tackles aren't a dime a dozen, just as the opportunities to use the #6 pick in the draft don't come along every day. when you get those opportunities, you have to turn those picks into the cement of your franchise, or you'll always be mired in mediocrity.

andre is going to be very difficult to sign now. this should have been the year we worked on his extension, but that's going to be tough to do, now. i fully expect to see him wait until his contract expires, while the team lets the market establish his price tag. that maneuver usually doesn't work out to well for the our side.

In hindsight, they should have picked up the option and locked him up for a few more years. It wasn't cheap (around $6 million a year) but it was cheaper than it will cost them now.

However, you never know for sure if their not picking the option up has actually helped motivate Andre. There's the possibility that they could have picked up the option and he wouldn't have been as motivated to play well as he has been.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1337028707' post='1130640']
In hindsight, they should have picked up the option and locked him up for a few more years. It wasn't cheap (around $6 million a year) but it was cheaper than it will cost them now.

[b]However, you never know for sure if their not picking the option up has actually helped motivate Andre. There's the possibility that they could have picked up the option and he wouldn't have been as motivated to play well as he has been.[/b]
[/quote]

^this. And I think it was Gatorsclaw that said "I don't fully trust him". I still feel the same way, but he has done the right things lately. The Bengals did the right thing IMO. And in training camp/preseason the Bengals like what they see and trust him then go for an extension. He has yet to play a full season do to injuries, conditioning, and holdout. So he would be ill advised to not sign an extension assuming a fair deal.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1337027239' post='1130632']
I still don't fully trust him. He's trying hard now so he gets a big contract but what will be his incentive next year after he gets paid again?
[/quote]

Oh good grief...

Seriously, dude?

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1337027239' post='1130632']
I still don't fully trust him. He's trying hard now so he gets a big contract but what will be his incentive next year after he gets paid again?
[/quote]

FOOD.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1337028696' post='1130639']
the only problem i have with that is, and i stand to be corrected here, but i think andre smith was the only 1st round pick to have that option put in his contract. that's what the draft has always been about. you're taking a risk with these kids, especially with high 1st round picks, that they'll evolve into something special. you don't fold your cards too early, and you don't sell your stocks with the 1st plunge in the market. the mindset shouldn't be how quick can i get out of this deal. moreso, how can i mold this guy into an asset that's worth all that money, where he turns into one of the better players in the league. that takes time. top shelf tackles aren't a dime a dozen, just as the opportunities to use the #6 pick in the draft don't come along every day. when you get those opportunities, you have to turn those picks into the cement of your franchise, or you'll always be mired in mediocrity.

andre is going to be very difficult to sign now. this should have been the year we worked on his extension, but that's going to be tough to do, now. i fully expect to see him wait until his contract expires, while the team lets the market establish his price tag. that maneuver usually doesn't work out to well for the our side.
[/quote]

Yeah, however the flip side of that coin is with his weight and injury issues, if he breaks his foot again and misses most of this upcoming season, then the Bengals suddenly look a lot smarter for not picking up the option. He hasn't given the team a full, in-shape, injury-free season yet. I'm siding with the front office on that decision.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1337028696' post='1130639']
[/quote]

agreed

[quote]andre is going to be very difficult to sign now. this should have been the year we worked on his extension, but that's going to be tough to do, now. i fully expect to see him wait until his contract expires, while the team lets the market establish his price tag. that maneuver usually doesn't work out to well for the our side.
[/quote]

I don't think so. We as fans tend to over-value our own players. There's a lot of concern whenever contracts run out. This year everyone was worried about Nelson, who did see some demand but in the end decided to stick around. I think Pressley coming back was just as important on the offensive side, too. There's still more cap room than most teams & Andre, while drastically improved, has yet to play a 16-game season. Even if he goes to the Pro Bowl they'll be able to cover market value. I'd rather they lock up some of the core defensive players first.

Sign the draft picks, that's enough for contracts.

Archived