After Week 1--Impression of Replacement Refs

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1348548437' post='1162830']
The defender does have the same right to the ball but he can't push the WR out of the way to get to it, or push the WR from coming back to the ball. Has to stand his ground and get the call coming from the other way. If I remember correctly the db had his hand on the other guys chest. Gruden has very poor judgement. Over reacts alot. Like a lot of guys on this board.
[/quote]

The GB player was only following momentum and the direction the ball was headed. From the angle of the replay it was impossible to say the defender had his arm in the chest of the WR. What the defender did have was position on the ball, and the WR tried grabbing his shoulderpad and forcing him by so he could get to the ball. Jon Gruden is honest and nice his stuff. He immediately thought it was PI on the Seahawk's WR.

Weston, you seem to have an agenda. You actually think the Shields PI was legit?

And not even close. Tate reached up to get his hand on the ball after Jennings caught it cleanly.

I love seeing the Packers lose and I like the Seahawks, and I would say this game was a sham.

FTR I literally wrote.

1. Tie goes to the receiver
2. I dont know how you think you can see the play better then the ref 3 feet away...

And dudes lost their shit.

I definitely can see both sides here and actually think it was probably a pick now that I have seen all the angles. But holy shit some of you guys are wired tite as shit.

[color=#ff0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]"Item 5: Simultaneous Catch[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. [/font][i]It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control."[/i][/color]

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1348548694' post='1162833']
Weston, you seem to have an agenda. You actually think the Shields PI was legit?
And not even close. Tate reached up to get his hand on the ball after Jennings caught it cleanly.
I love seeing the Packers lose and I like the Seahawks, and I would say this game was a sham.
[/quote]

I don't understand your writing. I do think the PI was legit. Not sure about the TD but I think it was arguable.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1348548487' post='1162831']
No, it wasn't mutual possession.

Tate had possession first.

He had both hands on the ball and his feet down before Jennings did. By time Jennings had possession, it was too late. Sorry. Watch it again. Tate has both hands on it, then his arm flies off while falling down, but it finds it's way back to the ball before Jennings gets his second foot down.

Game. Hawks.
[/quote]

Looks like it is you and Weston versus the world on this one. I just watched the replay again and you were wrong about Tate having the ball in both hands when his feet hit the ground. The announcers, the players of the teams, the ESPN analysts, and other players around the league say it was a bad call. You sure you want to continue riding this pony?

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1348548831' post='1162835']
[color=#ff0000]"Item 5: Simultaneous Catch

If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. [i]It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control."[/i][/color]
[/quote]
This is exactly what happened

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1348549044' post='1162840']
On the play the announcer calls mutual possession.

Its not as if the guy caught it and was standing alone in the end zone. It was atleast questionable. "Simultaneous who has it?"
[/quote]

I'm done trying to debate this with you because you can't clearly comprehend the rules of the game that apply to this play. After things are explained to you, you sound like a broken record. That means one of three things, ignore you, drive to where you live and sit down with a rule book and a video of the plays, or pay some guy named Tiny to come to your house and break your computer. I guess I'll just ignore you from now on, you have to be trolling because no one can be so dense.

[img]http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/661956126.jpg?key=456622&Expires=1348549617&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=On-L4l~3M8PySPg1CkMiLFmPtnrbtc0ng4sIkERpjHqpQfhXmUEAyHdgXK3SthpKLwDAfF4-mvA64HMfsdXVaDF3r3QVY7hUD5PmWBD9xWiOWqkG5OV-g3kf1l6498fojvI3Rf3Cod0OGyvRWKqEcARKKdj~aIWl~PqORcaS7Q8_[/img]

How exactly is Tate in possession of the ball here? This is when they hit the ground. Ball is dead here. Not even close.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1348549332' post='1162844']
I'm done trying to debate this with you because you can't clearly comprehend the rules of the game that apply to this play. After things are explained to you, you sound like a broken record. That means one of three things, ignore you, drive to where you live and sit down with a rule book and a video of the plays, or pay some guy named Tiny to come to your house and break your computer. I guess I'll just ignore you from now on, you have to be trolling because no one can be so dense.
[/quote]

This is a really odd over reaction. Its not a debate its a discussion. We should both be coming to the table willing to see the merits on either side in order to shape our opinions.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1348549402' post='1162846']
[img]http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/661956126.jpg?key=456622&Expires=1348549617&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=On-L4l~3M8PySPg1CkMiLFmPtnrbtc0ng4sIkERpjHqpQfhXmUEAyHdgXK3SthpKLwDAfF4-mvA64HMfsdXVaDF3r3QVY7hUD5PmWBD9xWiOWqkG5OV-g3kf1l6498fojvI3Rf3Cod0OGyvRWKqEcARKKdj~aIWl~PqORcaS7Q8_[/img]

How exactly is Tate in possession of the ball here? This is when they hit the ground. Ball is dead here. Not even close.
[/quote]

To be fair thats after they landed and he pulled it away. I watched it on replay slow mo on the big screen and think it was a pick and should have been called a pick. However I just don't think its as clear as people are saying. I think it was harder to see in the moment and looked like joint possession.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1348549603' post='1162847']

To be fair thats after they landed and he pulled it away. I watched it on replay slow mo on the big screen and think it was a pick and should have been called a pick. However I just don't think its as clear as people are saying. I think it was harder to see in the moment and looked like joint possession.
[/quote]
Looks to me like he had it in both arms pressed against his chest the moment he caught it until he hit the ground. Then Tate pulled it away from his chest a few inches, all the while the DB still has control. The DB then rolled to his left and still clearly has possession with both arms squeezing the ball to his chest. I could speed it up x5 and it would still look like an interception...

Let me go on record as saying (Everyone knows I'm a huge Notre Dame fan), after seeing Golden Tate interviewed about the play, they asked Tate about pushing the Packers player in the back, he said he didn't know anything about it. That's a bunch of crap and that isn't what Notre Dame is supposed to stand for. Win the games fairly if you can win them, otherwise lose the game with integrity.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1348550061' post='1162849']
Looks to me like he had it in both arms pressed against his chest the moment he caught it until he hit the ground. Then Tate pulled it away from his chest a few inches, all the while the DB still has control. The DB then rolled to his left and still clearly has possession with both arms squeezing the ball to his chest. I could speed it up x5 and it would still look like an interception...
[/quote]

I would say watch it again. Its not that clear. I think the DB pin points it, slightly above Golden, brings it down to where both there arms are around it but when they hit Tate does not, nor does he ever control it to the extent that Jennings does.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1348550340' post='1162851']
Regular refs would have fucked that call up (as well as the Rats/Pats kick) just the same.
[/quote]

Well if your watching the post game stuff in an even more apparent fault of the refs, Aaron Rodgers said they threw in a kicking ball instead of a game ball for the Packers 2-point conversion attempt. The difference in a game ball and a kicking ball are huge. Kicking balls are fresh and over inflated, they also still have that new ball slickness to them. Game balls are more broken in, a lot easier to grasp and throw.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1348550496' post='1162853']
[img]http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1427857/refss.gif[/img]
[/quote]
Do you think that video is clear cut? It almost makes me question it more.

Also the next step of that video is them laying on each other and it becomes even more ambiguous.

Archived