After Week 1--Impression of Replacement Refs

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1348587517' post='1162970']
[img]http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m537/Packa7x/fa888202e3ee135607171130bb9c2ad3.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I believe thats after it was called a TD. Could be wrong though.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1348587893' post='1162973']
fwiw, unless Tate dslocated his arm (and it turned white), that's not his arm, and watching the replay on ESPN right now it is clearly the other WR (#14).
[/quote]

LOl. Thats after he called it and pulled away.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtYeeFpPPz0&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtYeeFpPPz0&feature=player_embedded[/url]

And again, I do think it was a pick, however I think that it is just not as clear as everyone is making it seem. I can see how a ref could run up. See them essentially on top of eachother with the ball in between and say its shared and the tie goes to the receiver.

Jerry Austin says that Jennigns has it and that Tate rips it away. That never happens. On the contrary what happens is that Jennings get it at the higher point, brings it down to wear Tate is now involved, the ball dissapears into them, by the time the ref comes up Tate is lieing under it with two arms around it and then Jennings pulls it away.

With all of our reviews we can see that Jennings has more control but he has to maintain control to the ground and somewhere in that process Tate has both hands/arms around the ball. Its not black and white.

However, 1181 made a great point, both refs were out of place.

In addition they should have conferred before making a call. The procedural things are more of a headache then anything else.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1348588906' post='1162982']
What also cracks me up is the people saying they will watch less football. I won't. That won't prove anything. These refs are going to get better. No way that the refs deserve 200K for a part time job.
[/quote]
Actually, I might disagree with you there. Considering the reports that $250 million in total bets swung the other way last night based on this call, I think the reason high salaries are justified with all of the people in pro sports is you have at least SOME deterrent against corruption.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1348588345' post='1162979']

[/quote]

A TD? Since when is GB in Seattle's endzone? Seems p[retty obvious to me that the GB player has the ball and Tate has an arm on it

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1348582886' post='1162934']
I'll give you flippant. And I'll wear it with pride.
But pouty? lol SMH.

No, I don't get in any moods. I read stupid shit, then I respond to it.
Don't like that? Then stop saying stupid shit. It's that simple.

I expect someone that watches football and comes here to talk about it,
to know what an Interception looks like.

Don't expect anything from me, when you yourself can't be counted on for something
even Stevie Wonder could see.
[/quote]

Pouty...I'm not pouty....here is whiney ass emotional response.

I don't expect you to agree with me all the time, what would be the fun in a discussion where we all agreed? What I do expect is when you disagree to simply say "I don't see what you are seeing." You are above your behavior.

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1348589107' post='1162983']
Actually, I might disagree with you there. Considering the reports that $250 million in total bets swung the other way last night based on this call, I think the reason high salaries are justified with all of the people in pro sports is you have at least SOME deterrent against corruption.
[/quote]

Good point. I would think 200K could get someone a full time gig.

You guys have to understand that Weston had admitted in the past he likes to be the devils advocate and argue against what The common opinion is even if he doesn't agree with his own stance.

Now that's fine and all if you want to have a debate, but don't let him get you pissed off if he has a stupid stance because he prob doesn't believe it anyways.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1348590713' post='1162991']
You guys have to understand that Weston had admitted in the past he likes to be the devils advocate and argue against what The common opinion is even if he doesn't agree with his own stance.

Now that's fine and all if you want to have a debate, but don't let him get you pissed off if he has a stupid stance because he prob doesn't believe it anyways.
[/quote]

Why would someone get pissed off by someone's differing opinion?

Also I have said I like to play devil's advocate but not when it's outside of my own opinion. I am not arguing that it was a catch. Simply that there is more gray then people are acting like. When he has clear possession the play is already called a TD.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1348588524' post='1162980']
And again, I do think it was a pick, however I think that it is just not as clear as everyone is making it seem. I can see how a ref could run up. See them essentially on top of eachother with the ball in between and say its shared and the tie goes to the receiver.

Jerry Austin says that Jennigns has it and that Tate rips it away. That never happens. On the contrary what happens is that Jennings get it at the higher point, brings it down to wear Tate is now involved, the ball dissapears into them, by the time the ref comes up Tate is lieing under it with two arms around it and then Jennings pulls it away.

With all of our reviews we can see that Jennings has more control but he has to maintain control to the ground and somewhere in that process Tate has both hands/arms around the ball. Its not black and white.

However, 1181 made a great point, both refs were out of place.

In addition they should have conferred before making a call. The procedural things are more of a headache then anything else.
[/quote]

Bengals had a tie against the Browns. In that play both players appeared to arrive at the football at the same time then fought. I don't think that's what happened last night.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1348588345' post='1162979']

LOl. Thats after he called it and pulled away.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtYeeFpPPz0&feature=player_embedded[/media]
[/quote]

doesn't really matter. Tate had more of it there than he did when the TD was called, and he didn't have much of anything in the picture.

Ok I used to defend Weston sometimes because I didn't think he deserved the title of being a troll, but after seeing him try to defend the Ref's call for 11 pages I have to call it like I see it. Weston you are a troll. It's one thing to take the minority opinion in an argument, but to take the minority opinion in a decidedly obvious argument for 11 pages is a troll. You continue to ignore the facts people have given you, and instead manufacture things to help your opinion. Golden Tate did NOT have two hands on the ball until both players were laying in the ground, contrary to you. Maybe you should just take a break from this board and come back after the season with a new screen name. If not that, then mods should limit you to5 or less postings per day so you will think twice before trying to troll a thread.

:contract:

I think people (and by "people" I mean BAB and Weston) are confusing what constitutes a catch, and what constitutes "simultaneous possession". It's not that, until someone has established a catch, ie: 2 feet on the ground and a football move, or possession through to the ground, that another player can grab the ball and hence gain "simultaneous possession".

In this instance Jennings without a doubt has control of the ball when he leaps and grabs it with 2 arms. Tate barely gets 1 hand between the ball and Jennings chest. Nothing else after this is relevant. Tate did not catch the ball simultaneously with Jennings.. Having 1 hand on the ball does not constitute possession.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1348593251' post='1163005']
Ok I used to defend Weston sometimes because I didn't think he deserved the title of being a troll, but after seeing him try to defend the Ref's call for 11 pages I have to call it like I see it. Weston you are a troll. It's one thing to take the minority opinion in an argument, but to take the minority opinion in a decidedly obvious argument for 11 pages is a troll. You continue to ignore the facts people have given you, and instead manufacture things to help your opinion. Golden Tate did NOT have two hands on the ball until both players were laying in the ground, contrary to you. [b]Maybe you should just take a break from this board and come back after the season with a new screen name.[/b] If not that, then mods should limit you to5 or less postings per day so you will think twice before trying to troll a thread.

:contract:
[/quote]

He has already done this once before because his first screen name was banned for trollish behavior.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1348593977' post='1163012']
He has already done this once before because his first screen name was banned for trollish behavior.
[/quote]

It doesnt look like there is anyone else that has posted with his IP, so I'm not sure that's right.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1348594193' post='1163014']
It doesnt look like there is anyone else that has posted with his IP, so I'm not sure that's right.
[/quote]

I am pretty sure he was Globetrotter, hence the garage cleaning jokes?

This whole argument is funny to me. I am a Bengals fan so fluke calls by the "regular" refs are an every game occurrence to us, ...why are these refs any different?

They aren't, ...same old, ...same old. It's just that at this time every team gets these calls, ....hehehe, ....welcome to our world!

Banned for a disagreement? Is this for real? People have called me an idiot and I get banned? Seems odd.

Take a look at the picture in this link. Seems a little less obvious.

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2012/09/25/nfl-upholds-seahawks-disputed-win-over-packers.html"]http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2012/09/25/nfl-upholds-seahawks-disputed-win-over-packers.html[/url]

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1348573921' post='1162872']
Cant go low late...Isnt that the Carson Palmer rule? I agree it looked bad but thought it was one of those I have to call it rules.
[/quote]

When the qb is scrambling out of the pocket there is no protection for him....he is considered a runner at that point. You sound as clueless as the scabs.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1348594233' post='1163016']
I am pretty sure he was Globetrotter, hence the garage cleaning jokes?
[/quote]

That is correct. Go let me back and I appreciate it. I am not goating anyone or name calling or anything like it. Not sure what the fuss is about with this one.

[quote name='Mikey6866' timestamp='1348595467' post='1163026']
When the qb is scrambling out of the pocket there is no protection for him....he is considered a runner at that point. You sound as clueless as the scabs.
[/quote]

Then I was wrong. I admitted that I didn't really know in the thread.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1348595345' post='1163023']
This whole argument is funny to me. I am a Bengals fan so fluke calls by the "regular" refs are an every game occurrence to us, ...why are these refs any different?

They aren't, ...same old, ...same old. It's just that at this time every team gets these calls, ....hehehe, ....welcome to our world!
[/quote]

This isn't quite the same old same old, some of these guys have nothing on their resume but high school games or sub division college games.

With that being said, I kind of feel sorry for them. Here they are thrust into the spotlight and are under huge pressure to get everything right. How many death threats do you think those guys from last night got? I mean some of these guys could be your kids school teacher, coach, or principal.

Archived