- Pass D
- Andy other than the one TD scoring drive
- Not able to get a TD on at least one of the turnovers in the 1st half

The Ugly
Linebacker play
Running game
Marvin not going for 2

[b]Good:[/b]

D, all things considered they held up well.

However:

[b]Bad:[/b] Dline lacked pressure much of the game.

Defense still struggling to stop short yardage passes, and teams know it.

Nuge, come on man! Last drive is much different if you make that.

Dalton: I honestly think he gets Hawkins and Green mixed up at times on the field. Been overthrowing Hawkins all season.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1349641252' post='1167611']
it was too early to go for two
[/quote]

Well then you go for the TD...you cant kick the XP and then settle for the FG, even if he makes that we most likely lose

so go for 2 and the FG or go for the TD, but 4 points doesnt help when you are down 5

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' timestamp='1349641684' post='1167624']
Well then you go for the TD...you cant kick the XP and then settle for the FG, even if he makes that we most likely lose

so go for 2 and the FG or go for the TD, but 4 points doesnt help when you are down 5
[/quote]

I have more of an issue with the playcall on 3rd down than kicking the FG. FG wasn't an awful call. There's sense in it.

Good
- run defense was solid overall, as was tackling
- pass coverage vs. WRs, other than stupid PI call vs Newman at the end... Totally unnecessary
- Scott's running... until he got hurt
- punt coverage

Bad
- untimely shank by Huber that hurt them on field position
- Dalton looked confused for most of the day and wasn't his normally accurate self
- LBs on pass coverage, especially Lawson
- WRs inability to beat coverage with any regularity, and poor ball security
- Turnovers
- very inconsistent pass rush

Ugly
- OL play vs. both run and pass, including some poor pass blocking by Gresham
- BJGE didn't have much room, but even then he played poorly and showed no burst or ability to break tackles
- Nugent badly missing a very routine FG - a critical play

Bottom line, defensive effort was good enough - but Miami D had a great game plan, executed well, and none of the Bengal playmakers on offense did enough. They got outplayed up front on both sides, particularly the Bengals' OL vs a very solid Miami front 4.

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1349642127' post='1167634']
Yes. It was an awful call
[/quote]

Not really. Five yards isn't a gimme. Grab the 3, stop them (our D was rolling at the time) and then drive a little bit and kick the winning three for the win.

As it was our O was out of sync most of the game, our vet CB gave up a dumb PI and our turnovers came back to haunt us when pushing for the TD at the end.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1349644426' post='1167664']
How about when Gresham tried to leap someone who never dove at him?

Gresham should start running through people, get the rep, then outsmart them.
[/quote]

If you were trying to tackle Gresham would you rather him stiff arm you or stick his spikes in your face? Yeah that would scary to have him straight kick you to the disabled list.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1349644426' post='1167664']
How about when Gresham tried to leap someone who never dove at him?

Gresham should start running through people, get the rep, then outsmart them.
[/quote]

ha that was kind of silly, but he still picked up another 4 yards and the first down so you can't really hate on him. :lol:

I think a general way of summing up today was the Bengals didn't do a good enough job of putting their playmakers in a position to make plays. And Miami's D definitely deserves some credit for that.

I thought pass protection was pretty poor today. And not because guys were getting beat. It was because the protection calls were getting goofed. They were fooling us with looks and bringing pressure away from the protection calls.. I can't be 100% sure, but it looked like Faine was getting fooled a lot, and so was Dalton.

I thought offensively it was the sloppiest and most undisciplined I have seen them play all season. The defense stepped up, but the pass rush was anemic in general. Marvin's call to take the XP and the field goal were both fine. The problem came down to execution, and Andy shit the bed on the last drive.

Andy is wearing this one, along with the rest of the offense and Nugent.

I don't have a problem with the call to go for the FG, but I do have a problem with the recurring theme of Marv led decent Bengals teams playing down to inferior competition at home. I hope this was a wake up call for a young team, but until proven otherwise, it's just status quo.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1349644619' post='1167668']
I thought pass protection was pretty poor today. And not because guys were getting beat. It was because the protection calls were getting goofed. They were fooling us with looks and bringing pressure away from the protection calls.. I can't be 100% sure, but it looked like Faine was getting fooled a lot, and so was Dalton.

I thought offensively it was the sloppiest and most undisciplined I have seen them play all season. The defense stepped up, but the pass rush was anemic in general. Marvin's call to take the XP and the field goal were both fine. The problem came down to execution, and Andy shit the bed on the last drive.

Andy is wearing this one, along with the rest of the offense and Nugent.
[/quote]

I sorta agree. I don't think the oline played that well, but at least 2 of the sacks were coverage sacks because no one was open.

I thought Faine really struggled. Had one penalty that killed a drive, and also let his man get his hands up for the first INT. His man (Starks again) also got his hands up and tipped Dalton's first pass on the very next drive.

The running game is really missing Cook.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' timestamp='1349644779' post='1167670']
I don't have a problem with the call to go for the FG, but I do have a problem with the recurring theme of Marv led decent Bengals teams playing down to inferior competition at home. I hope this was a wake up call for a young team, but until proven otherwise, it's just status quo.
[/quote]

I can't argue that over the last 10 years a Marvin led team hasn't played down to lesser teams, but its hard to harp on it here after the Bengals just put up big numbers on 3 straight inferior opponents.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1349644817' post='1167671']
I sorta agree. I don't think the oline played that well, but at least 2 of the sacks were coverage sacks because no one was open.

I thought Faine really struggled. Had one penalty that killed a drive, and also let his man get his hands up for the first INT. His man (Starks again) also got his hands up and tipped Dalton's first pass on the very next drive.

[/quote]

I have to disagree. Most of the pressures I saw was coming through Boling and Zeitler. Oh and through Gresham. WTF is Cochart? Get his blocking ass back in a Bengal's uniform.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1349644817' post='1167671']

[/quote]

It's not even so much the sacks.. We weren't even able to try anything down field because there was no time at all. Andy was getting pressured all day.

Archived