Trade for a running back?

I agree with Go, it's not the short yardage we struggle with, it's consistantly getting 4 yards per carry we struggle with. I think the O-Line is doing a decent enough job run blocking to where an average back should be able to get 4 ypc. B. Scott, who I think is slightly below average, was doing just fine in the one game he play vs. the Dolphins. BJGE is a short yardage back, not a feature back like the Bengals thought he could be. If he was that, NE probably would have kept him.

i found the stats. we are 11th in the league, over 56% success running on 3rd and shirt, short being 3 yards or less, so of our 25-28% 3rd down conversion rate, more than half of that "success" was running on 3rd and short..

which sadly leaves us at like 15% success rate passing on 3rd down...(roughly)

[quote name='BScott28' timestamp='1351271753' post='1174750']
And we could have signed Bush instead, but I still like BJGE once we have a good speed back to counter him
[/quote]

the only problem with BJGE is the scheme he is stuck in. Think, in NE he had a pass happy powerful offense throwing medium and long often, so he had room to rock out with his cock out running the ball.

he isnt awarded that luxury here... he isnt adrian peterson so he isnt going to have success running into 7-8 in the box every play..

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1351272306' post='1174755']
dead last in the nfl, passing on 3rd down at 17.5%, found the official stats...
[/quote]

if you look at the full stats though, it also speaks volumes about their failure on first and second down, particularly running the ball.

Bengals have 88 Third down plays, they've passed 39 times on 3rd and 6 or more (since the stat isn't readily available, lets assume no running plays on 3rd and 6 or longer).

The biggest issue with the Bengals on 3rd down is that nearly half of their 3rd down attempts on the year have been 3rd and long situations. Should come as no surprise that BJGE is averaging 3.2ypc on first down and 3.6ypc on second down.

I think they're set on BJGE for the rest of the year. A guy who I'd love to see if a trade scenario played out is DeAngelo Williams. For some reason he's found the bench in CAR, 8 touches in the last two games. His career ypc is top 3 in nfl history and he's been at it for 4-5 years. Panthers have been running a ridiculous read option offense that is falling on its face. Every running play starts wih in-decision and hesitation in the backfield, they never get to hit holes at full speed an subsequently they are terrible at running the football.

His contract is prohibitive so a trade is extremely unlikely. But with the gm getting fired and their whole coaching staff sucking, I could see wholesale chages if they don't go on a run in the secon half. Williams is a guy I'd go after on the market next year.

[quote name='Catfish Bob' timestamp='1351270976' post='1174741']
Is the trade deadline up yet?

If I'm Mike Brown I get on the phone now with the Chicago Bears and see what it would take to get Micheal Bush.

He will be our verison of Jerome Bettis and on third and short we are going to get the first down no matter what.
[/quote]

the Bengals shouldn't trade for a running-back, they should draft one instead,because there are plenty in this years draft.with montee ball being one of them.

[quote name='bigboi' timestamp='1351330090' post='1174936']
the Bengals shouldn't trade for a running-back, they should draft one instead,because there are plenty in this years draft.with montee ball being one of them.
[/quote]

Agreed, though I still think the only real problem with the running game is the OL.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1351334508' post='1174937']
Agreed, though I still think the only real problem with the running game is the OL.
[/quote]

I think it's the type of runner we have, and have had for the past two years. We don't have the type of runner that can make the first man miss, or get through a small crease in the line. We've had bulls. Runners that if you don't produce a big hole, then the yards aren't going to come, runners with very little vision and / or cut back ability. Look at how well Scott ran against the Dolphins prior to getting hurt, he didn't need that huge hole, he hit a small crease and was to the next level.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1351340773' post='1174938']

I think it's the type of runner we have, and have had for the past two years. We don't have the type of runner that can make the first man miss, or get through a small crease in the line. We've had bulls. Runners that if you don't produce a big hole, then the yards aren't going to come, runners with very little vision and / or cut back ability. Look at how well Scott ran against the Dolphins prior to getting hurt, he didn't need that huge hole, he hit a small crease and was to the next level.
[/quote]

I see it as a compatibility issue. BJGE had success with other lines. The Bengals oline has success when guys like Scott, Leonard, and Peerman get carries.

BJGE's strengths, and benson's before him, don't align with the strengths of the current oline. This oline is very good at driving defenders in one direction.

This oline needs a back behind it that can cut against the flow of the defense and a back who is patient to wait for holes to develop and can explode through them once they do.

Delayed Draw plays would work great with this oline, as the patience is built in to the play. They ran two delayed draws on Sunday. Sanu picked up 7 and BJGE picked up 6. Further, they are smart plays to neutralize the pass rush.

[quote name='bigboi' timestamp='1351330090' post='1174936']
[/quote]

Marcus Lattimore might not be an option now...dude got his leg wrecked today... gruesome play...

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1351371877' post='1175037']
Marcus Lattimore might not be an option now...dude got his leg wrecked today... gruesome play...
[/quote]

Lattimore, if he stayed healthy would have gone long before the Bengals picked. Depending on what kind of break it was, he could be ready for next year. Breaking a leg isn't as bad as an ACL tear. Michael Bush did the exact same thing his senior year, but his was a horrible break of his tibia. It dropped Bush from being a Heisman hopeful and possible top 10 pick, to being drafted in the 4th round. The Raiders were concerned that they didn't want to push him back to fast, they Pup'd him during his rookie season. He has still benquality NFL player.

Yeah I watched the video again. I don't think a femur is supposed to make a 90 degree sideways angle. I'm not a doctor but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1351334508' post='1174937']
[/quote]

Exactly!!! It's not scheme or lack of talent at the RB position or lack of a strong armed QB. Look
at the Offensive Line!! Our guards are 22 and 23 yrs old!! Throw in the Center position and it's a
vet we signed 9 days before the start of the season I believe??!! Then he gets hurt and an undrafted
free agent steps in that has never played Center before in his life until training camp. This team is young!!

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1351271904' post='1174752']
the only problem with BJGE is the scheme he is stuck in. Think, in NE he had a pass happy powerful offense throwing medium and long often, so he had room to rock out with his cock out running the ball.

he isnt awarded that luxury here... he isnt adrian peterson so he isnt going to have success running into 7-8 in the box every play..
[/quote]

Look at the offensive line New England has compared to ours!! The interior of our line is a guy they signed about 10 days before
the start of the season (Faine) and a 22 yr old rookie and a 23 yr old 2nd year player that's [b]SUPPOSE [/b]to be developing his game.
Not starting in the NFL. Then the guy (Faine) we signed 10 days before the start of the season goes down and an undrafted free
agent that's [b]NEVER [/b]
played center in the whole 22 yrs he's been alive until the start of training camp is starting!! Might as well get use to Dalton being
our starting QB whether you like him or not. Palmer and Bratkowski are gone man. :ninja: :ninja: :facepalm:

:icon15: :icon15: :icon15:

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351372374' post='1175038']
Lattimore, if he stayed healthy would have gone long before the Bengals picked. Depending on what kind of break it was, he could be ready for next year. Breaking a leg isn't as bad as an ACL tear. Michael Bush did the exact same thing his senior year, but his was a horrible break of his tibia. It dropped Bush from being a Heisman hopeful and possible top 10 pick, to being drafted in the 4th round. The Raiders were concerned that they didn't want to push him back to fast, they Pup'd him during his rookie season. He has still benquality NFL player.

Yeah I watched the video again. I don't think a femur is supposed to make a 90 degree sideways angle. I'm not a doctor but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
[/quote]

Just watched the video myself on yahoo. Pretty nasty. Kind of reminded me of the hit Willis McGehee took against Ohio State
in the Nat'l Championship game in 2002.

As far as Lattimore being long gone before we pick next year (pre-injury) of course may not be the case if we
don't get our shit together and quick!! The schedule the 2nd half of the season is brutal!

[quote name='Randle P McMurphy' timestamp='1351377137' post='1175051']
Look at the offensive line New England has compared to ours!! The interior of our line is a guy they signed about 10 days before
the start of the season (Faine) and a 22 yr old rookie and a 23 yr old 2nd year player that's [b]SUPPOSE [/b]to be developing his game.
Not starting in the NFL. Then the guy (Faine) we signed 10 days before the start of the season goes down and an undrafted free
agent that's [b]NEVER [/b]
played center in the whole 22 yrs he's been alive until the start of training camp is starting!! Might as well get use to Dalton being
our starting QB whether you like him or not. Palmer and Bratkowski are gone man. :ninja: :ninja: :facepalm:

:icon15: :icon15: :icon15:
[/quote]

That would account for about 3 and half of the games, that the offensive line as a unit is inconsistent. BUT there were games where PFF had the Bengals in the top 5 I believe statistically through the first 4 or 5 games. That tells me they have the talent to be good, but they need to figure out how to focus every Sunday and do their jobs.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351377621' post='1175055']
That would account for about 3 and half of the games, that the offensive line as a unit is inconsistent. BUT there were games where PFF had the Bengals in the top 5 I believe statistically through the first 4 or 5 games. That tells me they have the talent to be good, but they need to figure out how to focus every Sunday and do their jobs.
[/quote]

3 and a half games? Kyle Cook and Travelle Wharton were both hurt in preseason. They sign a guy (Faine) 10 days or so before the start of the season and put Boling in at guard who was suppose to be developing this year, not starting. Then toss in a rookie
guard on the right side and there are gonna be inconsistencies to say the least!!!

I don't know for sure that the offensive line has been ranked in the top 5 for anything this year. Well maybe sacks given up compared to last year lol. I could be wrong about that. Wouldn't be the first time for sure!!

Archived