The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Kansas City Cheifs

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1353353751' post='1182499']
Where r u coming up with this ?
[/quote]

which part?

Whit got beat on 3rd down, Dalton failed to scramble or throw it away and got sacked, and Nugent missed the kick.

They all played a part in it being a makeable 44yd FG instead of a much tougher 50yd FG.

You can't take and give up sacks when you're in FG range.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1353353946' post='1182500']

which part?
Oh yeah. That would help huh. Lol. The windy part. I've never heard the excuse for a kicker missing. Was its windy in like 10mph wind.
Maybe if gusting 30 or so. But yesterday in KC wasn't windy in my book.

Whit got beat on 3rd down, Dalton failed to scramble and got sacked, and Nugent missed the kick.

They all played a part in it being a makeable 44yd FG instead of a much tougher 50yd FG.

You can't take and give up sacks when you're in FG range.
[/quote]

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1353357425' post='1182523']
I specifically remember seeing the flags on top of the goal post blowing as Nuge lined up for the kick.
[/quote]

And I believe there was mention by Marvin of the crosswinds in the stadium when he chose to go for it on 4th down when Dalton scrambled for the 1st down.

Good: Everything.

Bad: That unnecessary roughness call on the hit on AJ in the first half. It was good for the Bengals, but bad for football. That was a nice hit and nice play by AJ to hold on. Did I miss something? Does that new rule mean that a DB can't try to jar a ball loose anymore?

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1353361181' post='1182545']
Good: Everything.

Bad: That unnecessary roughness call on the hit on AJ in the first half. It was good for the Bengals, but bad for football. That was a nice hit and nice play by AJ to hold on. Did I miss something? Does that new rule mean that a DB can't try to jar a ball loose anymore?
[/quote]

Saw a lot of that this weekend. Plenty of good clean hits flagged for no particularly good reason.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1353364115' post='1182555']
wasn't it originally instituted as a rule for if the receiver is in the air? I agree with it in that respect, but thought the call on the chiefs player was bad.
[/quote]
Ditto. And the problem quickly becomes that was already a grey area of interpretation becomes even grayer. Not sure if anyone saw it, but Pollard delivered a lethal, jarring hit on a deep ball to the sideline last night. The receiver dropped the ball (got hurt), and it wasn't flagged. The guy who threw the flag on the AJ hit would SURELY have thrown one here. There's to much wiggle room here - and it's to see how fans could get hosed - and games could even get thrown by a ref who can exploit this ambiguity.

Frankly, I think they need to make this particular call subject to review, and then be crystal clear about what the violations are, such as a receiver in the air, or a blow to or with the head, etc. If they are going to flag old-fashioned bone-crushing hits, it's a slippery slope to becoming a non-combat sport - because how do you differentiate between level of violence?

The NFL is so terrified of all of it's liability that it is moving forward, exposed (bent over, with pants around it's ankles). They ought to have everyone who joins the league sign a disclaimer acknowledging their risk and waiving liability. Although you can't totally waive that kind of liability, at least to the extend allowable by law, they could at least maintain some semblance of the game we know and love.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1353365918' post='1182557']

Whitworth wasn't his awesome self, not bad, just below his standards

[/quote]

I'm seem to be seeing/hearing that quite a bit this season. Reminds me of a few years ago when Carson was making bad decisions, a piece of stone in the pocket, and relatively weaker-armed, or a couple of years back when Rey was constantly out of position and whiffing, etc. I know, I know, but I'm just saying...

Some of us watch with our eyes instead of our hearts, and when our eyes keep telling us the same thing, we start to think with our heads.

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1353366400' post='1182559']
I'm seem to be seeing/hearing that quite a bit this season. Reminds me of a few years ago when Carson was making bad decisions, a piece of stone in the pocket, and relatively weaker-armed, or a couple of years back when Rey was constantly out of position and whiffing, etc. I know, I know, but I'm just saying...

Some of us watch with our eyes instead of our hearts, and when our eyes keep telling us the same thing, we start to think with our heads.
[/quote]

Dalton's mobility could be exposing him a bit too. With CP, Whit knew exactly where he had to drive the blockers. Dalton moves a bit more, so sometimes Whit's blocks wind up driving the defender right to where Dalton has moved to. I'm used to him being a stone wall, right now, it seems that if Dalton holds the ball longer than normal, Whit's dude can get away. Maybe it's not Whit. It could be Dalton.

That being said, I like Dalton holding on to the ball longer trying to make plays. Better that than Jason Campbell style check downs. I guess the negative side of this is some of the OL look bad.

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1353366213' post='1182558']
Ditto. And the problem quickly becomes that was already a grey area of interpretation becomes even grayer. Not sure if anyone saw it, but Pollard delivered a lethal, jarring hit on a deep ball to the sideline last night. The receiver dropped the ball (got hurt), and it wasn't flagged. The guy who threw the flag on the AJ hit would SURELY have thrown one here. There's to much wiggle room here - and it's to see how fans could get hosed - and games could even get thrown by a ref who can exploit this ambiguity.

Frankly, I think they need to make this particular call subject to review, and then be crystal clear about what the violations are, such as a receiver in the air, or a blow to or with the head, etc. If they are going to flag old-fashioned bone-crushing hits, it's a slippery slope to becoming a non-combat sport - because how do you differentiate between level of violence?

The NFL is so terrified of all of it's liability that it is moving forward, exposed (bent over, with pants around it's ankles). They ought to have everyone who joins the league sign a disclaimer acknowledging their risk and waiving liability. Although you can't totally waive that kind of liability, at least to the extend allowable by law, they could at least maintain some semblance of the game we know and love.
[/quote]

I think the problem with the hit on Green was that the refs called it wrong. It wasn't that Green was defenseless, the issue was that it was helmet to helmet if I'm not mistaken. They simply called it wrong.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1353287410' post='1182141']
RE Maluaga/Jamaal Charles...I thought rey did alright guarding the TEs today and decent job in run stopping. Where he didnt play great was guarding Charles on pass plays. But i think that is a huge mismatch to begin with.

Question I have is, against a team like the Chiefs where we arent really worried about the deep ball and dont need to keep a S deep, why not just play Taylor Mays every single play. Have him spy Charles. If Charles gets a handoff you go tackle him. If he goes out for a pass you guard him. He wouldnt really have to worry about play action or anything like that because his job would just be to go get Charles. Youd think hed be fast enough to keep with him. Any idea why that wouldnt work?
[/quote]

fast enough...maybe. quick enough....not even close. you have to give charles his due credit. the guy is one of the best in the league, despite the fact that everyone knows the chiefs are a one trick pony. we really did an excellent job on him after the 1st quarter, where he gashed us for 45 yards. he only had 42 yards thereafter, which is a pretty respectable adjustment.

off subject, but he's exactly the type of back we need.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1353366663' post='1182561']
Dalton's mobility could be exposing him a bit too. With CP, Whit knew exactly where he had to drive the blockers. Dalton moves a bit more, so sometimes Whit's blocks wind up driving the defender right to where Dalton has moved to. I'm used to him being a stone wall, right now, it seems that if Dalton holds the ball longer than normal, Whit's dude can get away. Maybe it's not Whit. It could be Dalton.

That being said, I like Dalton holding on to the ball longer trying to make plays. Better that than Jason Campbell style check downs. I guess the negative side of this is some of the OL look bad.
[/quote]

I don't think that was the case with the sack Whit gave up Sunday, but a few of the sacks this year have been like that. Guys have good blocks, but because Dalton steps up or scrambles out of the pocket it opens up a lane for defenders that the tackles can't defend as the defender is now between them and Dalton.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1353367162' post='1182564']
off subject, but he's exactly the type of back we need.
[/quote]

a guy that reminds me of him that I mentioned a couple weeks ago:

DJ Harper of Boise State.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1353357180' post='1182520']
It's no secret that there are quite a few members who disappear when the team is winning.
[/quote]

that's a rather blanket statement. now i'm not saying that doesn't exist, but there could be multiple reasons why that would happen. for example, i haven't posted as much lately, and i can assure you it's not related to the reasoning you listed above.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1353367303' post='1182565']
I don't think that was the case with the sack Whit gave up Sunday, but a few of the sacks this year have been like that. Guys have good blocks, but because Dalton steps up or scrambles out of the pocket it opens up a lane for defenders that the tackles can't defend as the defender is now between them and Dalton.

a guy that reminds me of him that I mentioned a couple weeks ago:

DJ Harper of Boise State.
[/quote]

maybe, but the two torn acls are a huge cause for concern.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1353367025' post='1182563']
I think the problem with the hit on Green was that the refs called it wrong. It wasn't that Green was defenseless, the issue was that it was helmet to helmet if I'm not mistaken. They simply called it wrong.
[/quote]
I don't think it was helmet to helmet. Imo it was a terrible call.

Archived