2nd round pick from Oakland next year

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1354568547' post='1188367']
Certainly early on. We'll see how it plays out with those minimum spending floors coming in. If it spreads some insano rookie money out to non-star veterans, I think I'll be happy.
[/quote]

Yeah, giving such a huge fraction of the paycheck to someone who has done nothing in the NFL and worse yet, to their agents always struck me as strange.

[quote name='SmoothD' timestamp='1354571444' post='1188375']
[size=4][font='lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif]Xavier Rhodes would be a nice pick. I'd even consider moving Leon Hall to safety.[/font][/size]
[/quote]

Leon is playing lights out right now. I wouldn't move him at all.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1354575924' post='1188391']
Leon is playing lights out right now. I wouldn't move him at all.
[/quote][size=4][font='lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif] Should have stated I'd considered moving Leon to safety in a few years.[/font][/size]

[quote name='SmoothD' timestamp='1354576259' post='1188392']
[font=lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif]Should have stated I'd considered moving Leon to safety in a few years.[/font]
[/quote]

I could see us drafting a CB in the second or third next year. I think Leon is one of those guys that will hang a while at CB before getting moved. He seems to rely on smarts and technique more than athletic ability. Kinda good I guess... keeps ya in the league longer as long as the competition isn't leaps and bounds ahead of you in terms of speed, quickness, etc.

I don't think they need to take a corner in the first three rounds, but I also wouldn't hate it.

In today's NFL where WR's are faster and QB's are taking mostly 3 and 5 step drops, I think corners are over-taking defensive ends as the most important position on defense. A quick passing game negates a dominate pass rush.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1354578378' post='1188400']
I don't think they need to take a corner in the first three rounds, but I also wouldn't hate it.

In today's NFL where WR's are faster and QB's are taking mostly 3 and 5 step drops, I think corners are over-taking defensive ends as the most important position on defense. A quick passing game negates a dominate pass rush.
[/quote]

CB is actually high on my wish list. Free agency will have a lot to say about what our "needs" may or may not be. If we re-sign all of our key guys, and Howard is looking good, and there are no pressing needs that combine with value, I would seriously consider a CB in 1.

If we retain all of our [i]key[/i] free agents see our [b]needs[/b] right now as (in no particular order):
A speed RB
Kick returner
Depth/rotational DE
Strong Safety
Depth at CB
Upgrade backup RT

None of those are necessarily first round picks.

But we have a lot of older CBs, and Dre hasn't been able to stay healthy this year. And none of our CBs have shown the ability to run with Wallace and Brown. So if there is a good CB on the board when we pick in 1 and he has top end speed, he's the guy I want.

Again, losing MJ, Andre, Rey, or Howard's health could change that.

We may well be in a position to go straight BPA in 1.

Current 2013 Draft Order:

#1 Kansas City (2-10 SoS=0.507)
#2 Jacksonville (2-10 0.576)
#3 Oakland (3-9 0.493)
#4 Philadelphia (3-9 0.500)
#5 Carolina (3-9 0.528)
#6 San Diego (4-8 0.493)
#7 Cleveland (4-8 0.524)
#8 Detroit (4-8 0.535)
#9 Arizona (4-8 0.545)
#10 Tennessee (4-8 0.556)

But remember, all of the teams with the same W-L percentage "rotate" between their positions in subsequent rounds. So while the first round order is as shown above, the second round order would be:

1-JAX 2-KCC 3-PHI 4-CAR 5-OAK

So we want Oakland to have the lone worst record, or if they're tied with other teams, we want them to have the SECOND worst SoS among those tied teams.

honestly i dont think leon hall has been the same since the injury. I think he is missing a step. And dre hasnt shown anything on the field. Allen cant make the active roster. CB would be a 1-3 round pick for me at this point. Depending on who they resign. Honestly I think they extend 1 between dunlap adkins and adre. I hope to god we keep adkins bc a pass rushing dt is a hard hard hard thing to find in this league. Regardless of how disruptive dunlap is I think resigning Adkins becomes a priority this offseason before he signs a 100+ million dollar contract somewhere else ala the redskins. The next big question is if we tag or dont tag adre at right tackle because if we dont tag/resign him it becomes an instant need headed into the draft. Our line has played pretty well this year and Tackle is a major spot on it. I really wish the bengals would have taken that club option for another year but spilt milk. If we let him walk I wouldnt be surprised to see #1 go tackle. Keeping andy upright is top priority with aj green and our develuping core of WR's along with gresh seem to be doing pretty well. Hawk, Sanu (before he went down) and Jones. If we cant extend dunlap I see us going after a DE pretty Hi along with a PR/KR bc I think Tate is pretty much old shit. I would love us to draft the honey badger in round 3 for PR/KR dutys. He is sick. And A. Jones plays to many defensive snaps to have him back there everytime\

[quote name='BengalsCat' timestamp='1354613445' post='1188476']
[color=#ff0000][b]honestly i dont think leon hall has been the same since the injury. [/b][/color]I think he is missing a step. And dre hasnt shown anything on the field. Allen cant make the active roster. CB would be a 1-3 round pick for me at this point. Depending on who they resign. Honestly I think they extend 1 between dunlap adkins and adre. I hope to god we keep adkins bc a pass rushing dt is a hard hard hard thing to find in this league. Regardless of how disruptive dunlap is I think resigning Adkins becomes a priority this offseason before he signs a 100+ million dollar contract somewhere else ala the redskins. The next big question is if we tag or dont tag adre at right tackle because if we dont tag/resign him it becomes an instant need headed into the draft. Our line has played pretty well this year and Tackle is a major spot on it. I really wish the bengals would have taken that club option for another year but spilt milk. If we let him walk I wouldnt be surprised to see #1 go tackle. Keeping andy upright is top priority with aj green and our develuping core of WR's along with gresh seem to be doing pretty well. Hawk, Sanu (before he went down) and Jones. If we cant extend dunlap I see us going after a DE pretty Hi along with a PR/KR bc I think Tate is pretty much old shit. I would love us to draft the honey badger in round 3 for PR/KR dutys. He is sick. And A. Jones plays to many defensive snaps to have him back there everytime\
[/quote]

I don't necessarily agree, but there's some out there who think Hall is turning in his best season as far as coverage.

IMO Jones definitely is.

I think Hall is playing well. I think the health problems with the other corners, as well as the safeties, means Hall has been forced to be on an island more than would be normally asked... Maybe I'm wrong, but I think his 'average' play has come from having a beast of a work load.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1354625709' post='1188497']
I think Hall is playing well. I think the health problems with the other corners, as well as the safeties, means Hall has been forced to be on an island more than would be normally asked... Maybe I'm wrong, but I think his 'average' play has come from having a beast of a work load.
[/quote]

I think most of all the corners are playing well in man-coverage. A lot of the issues early in the season were the back 7 was getting eaten alive in zone coverage.

To a point, they still are when they play it. ie. that last drive by the Chargers. At least two of their big plays were against zone.

In general, I hate zone coverage. QB's and WR's are just too good in today's game for it to be effective on a consistent basis IMO.

also, while I don't think WR is a high need itself, I'm warming to the idea of Tavon Austin at the top of the 2nd round in large part for his ability to be a game-changer on special teams.

Also, assuming BJGE continues to make a high round RB less of a need. Austin can be your change of pace RB for 3-4 snaps a game along with peerman.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1354625938' post='1188500']
also, while I don't think WR is a high need itself, I'm warming to the idea of Tavon Austin at the top of the 2nd round in large part for his ability to be a game-changer on special teams.
[/quote]
I have no clue where he is projected to go. But that guy is a freak ! Game changer is an understatement.

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1354626780' post='1188505']
I also don't understand why Gruden doesn't have a few offensive plays to get the play in PAC man's hands. Get him in space and look out.
[/quote]

while I'd like to see it, the same reason he's not the full time punt returner. They're trying to keep him fresh for Defense as he's now firmly the #3 corner.

He's injury prone, you don't want him to take too many hits on special teams and offense.

Archived