The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Philadelphia Eagles

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1355503318' post='1193736']
If this is in reference to the early completion to AJ that he caught, I disagree. I know Mayock said several times that DRC missed an INT there, but on the replay it looked to me like the ball had enough zip on it that it got to AJ before DRC had a chance to get his hands on it.
[/quote]

I've watched the replay 5 times....it's a completion because AR-C "alligator" armed the attempt and it goes through his hands STILL. Should have been a pick and with his speed, would have been a pick 6. In my opinion anyways. Still, the point stands that it was a bad throw, behind the receiver....which is unfortunately not a rarity with Dalton. He had AJ on a WIDE OPEN skinny post that if he hit in stride, would have been a huge play....underthrew him and threw behind. I just can't get comfortable with the guy at QB. I don't have the confidence in him that he can take this team to where it wants to be. I do allow myself to forget that he's in his 2nd year though when criticizing him.

Oh...and the holding call on Andre Smith was complete bullshit. He man-handled Graham on that play, tossed him like a rag doll...had zero impact on the play but got called for a hold. Gresham's hold was also called when Philly's OLine was doing the same thing ALL game. I thought the refs were very inconsistent last night....

I think Dalton is right about where he should be for a sophomore and it's easy to forget he isn't the finished article yet. I'd rather have a mediocre qb getting us wins than a stud qb getting us mediocre results.

Just for the record, I think the biggest problem with Dalton is that he sometimes doesn't trust his reads as well as he should and tends to hold on to the ball and act conservative as a result. For example, when he missed a wide open Hawkins in the red zone on the second drive. That missed read meant a field goal instead of a touchdown. But once he gets better in this aspect we can start to see a more consistent offense.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1355502614' post='1193730']

I hope he sticks on the roster when Nugent comes back. I think Brown would be a better option long term.
[/quote]

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks like this.

Now it's just time to see if the coaches have their eyes open to realize it

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1355504962' post='1193744']
[b]Oh...and the holding call on Andre Smith was complete bullshit[/b]. He man-handled Graham on that play, tossed him like a rag doll...had zero impact on the play but got called for a hold. Gresham's hold was also called when Philly's OLine was doing the same thing ALL game. I thought the refs were very inconsistent last night....
[/quote]
As was the one on Roland.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1355505325' post='1193747']
I think Dalton is right about where he should be for a sophomore and it's easy to forget he isn't the finished article yet. I'd rather have a mediocre qb getting us wins than a stud qb getting us mediocre results.

Just for the record, I think the biggest problem with Dalton is that he sometimes doesn't trust his reads as well as he should and tends to hold on to the ball and act conservative as a result. For example, when he missed a wide open Hawkins in the red zone on the second drive. That missed read meant a field goal instead of a touchdown. But once he gets better in this aspect we can start to see a more consistent offense.
[/quote]

Good points. I think one of the many good things about Andy is that he is not succumbing to the dreaded "sophomore slump". Nor is A.J. Green... thank God.

One comment that was made was that he was playing like he did not want to make a mistake. Not a bad thought. I think he has also lost confidence in anyone but A.J. and sometimes Gresham but how long can that last when one never know what he will do. I was not a big Sanu fan at first because he was not playing but did he ever change my mind and make me a believer. He is really missed.

And Andy will get a LOT better when the O line problems are solved. My musings about a killer Center are looking better to me all the time.
I think what if Andy had all freakin' day to stand back there like Kenny Anderson did behind Munoz, Montoya, Mike Wilson et al...

Oh...and the holding call on Andre Smith was complete bullshit. He man-handled Graham on that play, tossed him like a rag doll...had zero impact on the play but got called for a hold. Gresham's hold was also called when Philly's OLine was doing the same thing ALL game. I thought the refs were very inconsistent last night....
[/quote]

I haven't seen the replay yet, but I know that's something Marvin has been very outspoken about. Refs seeing a defender on the ground and assuming there was holding.

[/quote]
Agreed. Never like to blame problems on the Refs but I couldn't believe how seldom they were calling holds against Philly and how often against us. Geno, in particular, was held all over the place.

[quote name='VBurfict55' timestamp='1355498136' post='1193668']
Your right, I am thinking like a dumbass right now.

But do you think we keep both kickers for right now till Brown messes up?
[/quote]

I would keep both in hopes you can get them to be in for a training camp competition.

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1355505741' post='1193755']
As was the one on Roland.
[/quote]

Yes, seem to remember at the time his was also borderline but Roland's was much worse than Andre's. Andre literally picked Graham up and threw him...straight man handled Graham. Refs influence games tremendously....

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1355511000' post='1193827']
Oh yeah: GREAT - Bengals 22 points for fantasy D
[/quote]

Played them. Got 24 in my league. Lost some ground playing Dalton though. Picked him over Stafford. Thought it would be safe.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1355603248' post='1194249']
i just rewatched the game, o line was horrible in the pass game. Whit, Boling, everyone was shitty. BJGE was the best player on offense by far Dalton was terrible too

Dunlap, Burfict , Wilberry and Nelson had great games. next year add lb Mosley next too Burfict and watch out
[/quote]

They should have passed out of play action. If we got locked onto their guys, we usually held up well. It is when we hung back and let them dodge that trouble started.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1355615599' post='1194295']
They should have passed out of play action. If we got locked onto their guys, we usually held up well. It is when we hung back and let them dodge that trouble started.
[/quote]

Good point. I'd like to see a lot more play action. If you do it well and really sell it like the Sam/Boomer days, it helps your running and passing game a lot.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1355511793' post='1193834']
Yes, seem to remember at the time his was also borderline but Roland's was much worse than Andre's. Andre literally picked Graham up and threw him...straight man handled Graham. Refs influence games tremendously....
[/quote]
I'll take your word for it, but I literally watched the Roland play 6 times. Once in slow mo. He was always in front of the guy and never grabbed him or jersey. Only blocked with arms extended. Can't get much worse holding call then that.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1355618881' post='1194302']
Great point, if we had a back in the back field play action would he great but if no one is back there they just pass rush without even fearing the run
[/quote]

Fake a handoff to nobody. It will confuse the defense even more.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1355616037' post='1194296']
Good point. I'd like to see a lot more play action. If you do it well and really sell it like the Sam/Boomer days, it helps your running and passing game a lot.
[/quote]

x3. This offense has been seriously lacking play-action, draws, screens, and quick slants all season.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1355618881' post='1194302']
Great point, if we had a back in the back field play action would he great but if no one is back there they just pass rush without even fearing the run
[/quote]

I think the running game is currently good enough that play action would be effective.

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1355620713' post='1194305']

I'll take your word for it, but I literally watched the Roland play 6 times. Once in slow mo. He was always in front of the guy and never grabbed him or jersey. Only blocked with arms extended. Can't get much worse holding call then that.
[/quote]

Roland is terrible, but that definitely did not look like a hold to me either. Not like it would've went for a td or anything but 10 yards is a killer.

Archived