The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Philadelphia Eagles

[quote name='Rick' timestamp='1355493682' post='1193624']
What about the short turn around time for the Eagles offense line?
[/quote]

I don't know enough about the Eagles to say whether or not their line played better ot worse than normal. In any case, I think the challenge would be similar given the nature of my question: Which position group needs time to recover from the previous game? Not trying to make an excuse for the bad play, just trying to understand the variables involved. Those guys take a beating every week and not having a normal interval to get over the bumps and bruises might affect their play. What do you think?

[quote name='Rick' timestamp='1355493682' post='1193624']
What about the short turn around time for the Eagles offense line?
[/quote]

I don't think their oline played well. Foles just did a good job avoiding a couple of sacks. He was getting pressured all night and they did nothing in the running game.

I get as upset and frustrated during the games as most people, but after the game I settle down and look at what really happened, especially by the next day, and put some perspective on everything.

We are one missed 40 yard Fg or one caught pass or Int from a 6 game winning streak.

Even with that loss we still have won 5 of 6 by an average of 18.4 points a game.

Just saying...

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1355495795' post='1193648']
I think its worth noting that both Burfict and Maualuga both had nice bounce back games and both had one of their better games of the season after both played pretty poor against Dallas.
[/quote]

I agree with this, but thought it was interesting and liked it that the last drive we were on D we had Burfict and Lamur at linebacker, would like to see that against Pitt

[quote name='VBurfict55' timestamp='1355498136' post='1193668']
Your right, I am thinking like a dumbass right now.

But do you think we keep both kickers for right now till Brown messes up?
[/quote]

wouldn't surprise me if they kept Brown just to kickoff, barring any other injuries. Indy kept a guy just for kickoffs a couple of years ago.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1355461909' post='1193499']
can't blame Dalton too much. He missed a couple throws, but he was getting abused all night. He didn't get much help at all tonight from the rest of the offense.
[/quote]
Exactly. And people need to remember the heads up td run by Dalton to put us up for good. That is what I call leadership!

[quote name='VBurfict55' timestamp='1355496479' post='1193656']
I agree with this, but thought it was interesting and liked it that the last drive we were on D we had Burfict and Lamur at linebacker, would like to see that against Pitt
[/quote]

Both good coverage guys. I'm really starting to like what I see from Lamur. With another offseason, he may be our BJohnson LB.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1355498736' post='1193678']

Exactly. And people need to remember the heads up td run by Dalton to put us up for good. That is what I call leadership!
[/quote]

I liked his run late in the game where he seemed to be taking advantage of the pussified roughing penalties as he got a few extra yards down the sideline when the defender thought he was running out of bounds, then he cut up and tightroped the sideline for about 4-5 extra yards. thta was a huge play on that drive.

Ugly: Mayock and the Pat Summerall wannabe.

1. The constant reminders of the Dallas loss, ie the dropped interceptions segment.

2. Blowing the Eagles defense, especially front line, was justified. But where was the equally justified blowing of the Bengals D. If the stealers, Bears, Ravens D got 5 turnovers, they would've never shut up about the D. I realize that some of them didn't seem forced, but still. And giving up 220 yards? Holding them to FGs on 2 really short field situations. What did they give up, 30-40 yards in the 2nd half? Even with the sputtering offense, the Bengals had possession almost 2/3 of the game.

Good:
-Dunlap when he feels like playing
-Gilberry, nice pickup
-Continue to be impressed with Zimmer's intricacies on defense; players need to execute a little better
-BJGE, lunchpail kinda guy. Gotta respect the effort but he should be a backup. A few of his runs would have been TD's for a guy with any speed
-Defense overall aside from a few breakdowns
-Burfict - best LB on the team, great instincts, great aggressiveness; Still needs improvement and more consistency
-Rey had a nice game
-Newman is as solid as you could have hoped he would be at this age, would be nice to have #27 in though
-Lamur flashed a little bit

Bad:
-Gruden - ADJUST dammit....you've proven the capability. Their DLine is killing us....draw plays, quick slants, 5 - 8 yd routes
-Dalton's pocket awareness - he freaks out...is it being coached out of him?
-Penalties
-Individually, everyone the OLine got their lunch money taken from them
-Tate's fielding of a punt on goal line
-Geno - not bad by any means but well below standard game for him, get the man a few extra snaps of rest per game
-Gresham's continued drops....makes spectacular catches, just wish he'd make the routine ones more often.

Ugly:
-Eagles
-Dalton - Rogers-Cromartie dropped an INT, another 2 players dropped INT's. Throwing behind receivers, not throwing to open receivers, throwing late. Continually throwing across his body, if the DB's had any sort of hands, they would have been picks. Makes dumb decisions for being touted as such a smart QB. Don't/Can't trust this guy. Game film doesn't lie. Mayock was criticizing Dalton all night, and rightfully so.
-What Tate brings to the table doesn't deserve a roster spot IMO
-Refusal to use Hawkins

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1355500087' post='1193698']
Good:
-Dunlap when he feels like playing
-Gilberry, nice pickup
-Continue to be impressed with Zimmer's intricacies on defense; players need to execute a little better
-BJGE, lunchpail kinda guy. Gotta respect the effort but he should be a backup. A few of his runs would have been TD's for a guy with any speed
-Defense overall aside from a few breakdowns
-Burfict - best LB on the team, great instincts, great aggressiveness; Still needs improvement and more consistency
-Rey had a nice game
-Newman is as solid as you could have hoped he would be at this age, would be nice to have #27 in though
-Lamur flashed a little bit

Bad:
-Gruden - ADJUST dammit....you've proven the capability. Their DLine is killing us....draw plays, quick slants, 5 - 8 yd routes
-Dalton's pocket awareness - he freaks out...is it being coached out of him?
-Penalties
-Individually, everyone the OLine got their lunch money taken from them
-Tate's fielding of a punt on goal line
-Geno - not bad by any means but well below standard game for him, get the man a few extra snaps of rest per game
-Gresham's continued drops....makes spectacular catches, just wish he'd make the routine ones more often.

Ugly:
-Eagles
-Dalton - Rogers-Cromartie dropped an INT, another 2 players dropped INT's. Throwing behind receivers, not throwing to open receivers, throwing late. Continually throwing across his body, if the DB's had any sort of hands, they would have been picks. Makes dumb decisions for being touted as such a smart QB. Don't/Can't trust this guy. Game film doesn't lie. Mayock was criticizing Dalton all night, and rightfully so.
-Refusal to use Hawkins
[/quote]
That's a very nice summary. I was mostly heartened by our LB play last night, and the Pitt and Balt game will tell us if we've truly made strides there. If it's not just because of our competition (ie rookie QB not knowing how to exploit our weaknesses), we are an Elite D. If we can chalk up last night to just being an off night for the O-Line, I'd say draft a PLAYMAKER WR in the first 3-4 picks, and make the rest of 'em on the D side of the ball to make us truly dominant.

My one Beautiful for this thread:

Having a killer D that it is hitting its stride as we head toward the playoffs. D wins championships

Good: defense in general. Tackling was sound, no big plays for Eagles. Pass rush not as good as expected, coverage better than expected. Run defense was sound, no cutback lanes for Brown. Except for a bad punt, our kicking game was good. BJGE and Herron were both good.

Bad: pass protection, Dalton's accuracy and judgement. On a rollout throw to Leonard, threw a 4 yard pass below his knees. We didn't use Hawkins enough.

Ugly: injuries, dumb penalties, both presnap and post play. Eagles are terrible, we won't beat our remaining opponents unless we play better.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1355500087' post='1193698']

Ugly:
-Eagles
-Dalton - [b]Rogers-Cromartie dropped an INT[/b], another 2 players dropped INT's. Throwing behind receivers, not throwing to open receivers, throwing late. Continually throwing across his body, if the DB's had any sort of hands, they would have been picks. Makes dumb decisions for being touted as such a smart QB. Don't/Can't trust this guy. Game film doesn't lie. Mayock was criticizing Dalton all night, and rightfully so.
-Refusal to use Hawkins
[/quote]

If this is in reference to the early completion to AJ that he caught, I disagree. I know Mayock said several times that DRC missed an INT there, but on the replay it looked to me like the ball had enough zip on it that it got to AJ before DRC had a chance to get his hands on it.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1355503318' post='1193736']
If this is in reference to the early completion to AJ that he caught, I disagree. I know Mayock said several times that DRC missed an INT there, but on the replay it looked to me like the ball had enough zip on it that it got to AJ before DRC had a chance to get his hands on it.
[/quote]

yea. Mayock was right that Dalton should have thrown it to the other shoulder, but I don't think there was any way DRC was getting that. It was bang-bang, but he wasn't quite there quick enough to get an INT.

Just rewatching the condensed version now, and I'm suddenly remembering my biggest criticism of Andy for the game. For some reason, he seems to scramble to his left almost exclusively. There were so many times when he had pressure coming from his right that if he ran to his right, he's got all kinds of space and time - and a more natural throwing motion if he has to get rid of it on the run. He just can't make the throws when he's rolling left.

Archived