Houston Week Notes

[b] 5 questions for Bengals RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis[/b]
[color=#082046][font=Ubuntu, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]
By Paul [i]Dehner Jr.[/i] | CBSSports.com[/size][/font][/color] January 2, 2013 3:20 pm ET

[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/f56ced7d015d8fe1f92e9d09a1cc57e1/tumblr_mg0lr5ynxh1rge74zo1_500.jpg[/img]

[font=verdana][size=1][b]Bengals RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis ran for 1,094 yards during the regular season. [/b](AP)[/size][/font]

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CIN/cincinnati-bengals"]Bengals[/url] running back [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1616291/benjarvus-greenellis"]BenJarvus Green-Ellis[/url] returns to the playoffs this week for the first time with his new team. Last year, he finished with New England in the [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/superbowl"]Super Bowl[/url] and he'll attempt to bring Patriots' playoff savvy to a franchise that hasn't won a postseason game in 21 years.

Green-Ellis set a career high with 1,094 rushing yards on 278 carries this year. He topped the 100-yard mark in four of his final six games. He didn't play the final week of the season against Baltimore due to a tight hamstring but returned to practice Wednesday in preparation for Saturday's first-round game against Houston.

He touched on topics from playoff mojo to the evolution of the Bengals' ground game to playing the role of power running back in a passing league.

[b]You've played in a [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/superbowl"]Super Bowl[/url] and four playoff games. What do you tell guys who haven't been around as much?[/b]

[b]Green-Ellis[/b]: "You go out there and play ball. It's not one of those things where you try to make it more than what it is. It's going to be a little bit more intense maybe, but once the game settles down the game is always going to be the game, I don't care if its the [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/superbowl"]Super Bowl[/url] or what you are playing for. The game never changes."

[b]How much do you notice defenses selling out to stop the run, like what Pittsburgh did against you?[/b]

[b]Green-Ellis[/b]: "It's kind of been a thing. That was especially what they have been doing but we have things that we have to do to take those things away. Obviously, when defenses show us one thing on film then we get into the game they are doing different things to try and take whatever it is, the running game away or whether it's the passing game, whatever we just need to make adjustments and make adjustments on the fly. That's going to be big for us going forward especially being able to make those adjustments right there on the sideline and taking something away if they are trying blitzes or whatever it is we have to make adjustments right there."

[b]Defense winning championships, this is transforming into an offensive league. How much better do you think this offense has to get to make a run?[/b]

[b]Green-Ellis[/b]: "You just look at transforming everything into an offensive league, but at the same point in time, it doesn't matter what type of league it is -- it always comes back to those traditional things: running the football. It's a passing league but you look at the things that the runners have been doing over the course of the past two years, even though it's turning into a passing league, look at Adrian Peterson. You look around the league and even with Washington, I was watching their game the other night and Alfred Morris. You're not getting a lot of big plays like you used to because I think teams are adjusting. They're putting two and three cornerbacks on the field. You have three wide receivers. We have three cornerbacks out there. So it's not like it was before when they were matched up against linebackers and people maybe didn't have the personnel and depth." [color=#444444][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]
[b]Do running backs -- like hitter in baseball -- get into a rhythm where you feel things starting to build week to week?[/b]

[b]Green-Ellis[/b]: "It goes back to that question somebody asked me about momentum. It's just one of those things, when everyone is clicking at the same time, running backs and offensive line, we feel like we work well together and when those things happen you get big plays in the running game, you get dominating drives in that game. Things like that. When you can run a ball on a team, it kind of takes the wind out of their defense. You can see the depression on their faces and things like that. So it's a little bit of a different attitude. Running the football is not only physical but it's mental, the mental effect it has one defenders. They're upset."

[b]Ray Lewis is retiring. As a running back, are glad you won't have to face him any more?[/b]

[b]Green-Ellis[/b]: "Not really. It's always a pleasure to play against a player, a future Hall of Famer like Ray Lewis. Whenever you're playing against good players, you always step up your play and you play your best. So you always want their best guys out there."[/size][/font][/color][color=#444444][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]
[i]Follow Paul Dehner Jr. for Bengals updates on Twitter [url="http://www.twitter.com/CBSBengals"]@CBSBengals[/url].[/i][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#444444][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21486979/5-questions-for-bengals-rb-benjarvus-green-ellis[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1357155825' post='1202604']
You know, I'm liking all the love we've been getting but I will say that Houston isn't complete garbage. These guys didn't get to where they are by accident.
[/quote]

The Texans are a tale of two halves. First half of the season = best team in football. Second half = resting on their laurels from the first half.

Obviously take nothing for granted, but to me the Texans are like the degenerate scions of a once-great House, living a hollow existence of inherited glory

[quote name='Actium' timestamp='1357164168' post='1202671'].

Obviously take nothing for granted, but to [i][b]me the Texans are like the degenerate scions of a once-great House, living a hollow existence of inherited glory[/b][/i]
[/quote]

Why can't someone on ESPN say something like this?

[color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]

[b] Wednesday quotes[/b]

Posted 17 minutes ago[/size][/font][/color][color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]

[i]Quotes from Bengals players and coaches as Cincinnati prepares to face Houston in Saturday's Wild Card playoff game.[/i]
[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/coaches/2012/lewis_marvin_thumb--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg[/img]
[b]Lewis[/b]
[b]HEAD COACH MARVIN LEWIS[/b]

[b]Thoughts on the retirement of Ray Lewis: [/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “He's had a tremendous career, tremendous impact. His mentorship to other players, his leadership, is hard to describe. I had a chance to visit with him briefly before (Sunday's) game. I said to myself, 'He doesn't look a day older than when we drafted him.’ “

[b]Did you have an inkling Sunday?[/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “No. I'm pretty sure it's a good decision for him. A decision hard for him to make, but one he feels good about. I'm happy for him. It's disappointing for the game after what he's done.”

[b]Are there one or two qualities that separated him from other guys?[/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “Probably two. His drive to be the best and to empower others to be better.”

[b]You don't see many linebackers play 17 years: [/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “No, it's a difficult position to play that long, never mind at such a high level.”

[b]You guys looks pretty spry, running around indoors (at practice) this week: [/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “We're doing fine. It (where practice is held) shouldn't be that big of a topic.”

[b]Is the short week a factor?[/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “We're used to it. We had to do it last year a couple of times, played a Saturday game (Dec. 24 vs. Arizona at home) and a Saturday playoff game. We played a Thursday game this year. Our guys adjusted to the schedule. They'll l be fine, they're young.”

[b]We see that [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/benjarvus-green-ellis/d809b273-f3c9-414d-b9b0-3fd185b8e017/"]BenJarvus Green-Ellis[/url] got some work in: [/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “We'll be fine. He'll continue to progress as the week goes on.”

[img]http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/player-headshots/2012/maualuga_rey--nfl_thumb3_65_90.jpg[/img]
[b]Maualuga[/b]
[b]LB REY MAUALUGA[/b]

[b]What makes Houston RB Arian Foster so tough to play against?[/b]
[b]RM:[/b] “He’s such a great reader. He can read within his four steps, whether he’s going to cut the ball or whether he’s going to stay front side. He has a lower center of gravity that can run you over. He can beat you to the side and can get that extra five or 10 yards after contact. In the passing game, he does a good job of being open, getting in the end zone in the red zone. By all means, there are a couple key guys in their offense that if we eliminate them and frustrate them throughout the game early on, we’ll have a chance.”

[b]Do you feel like you guys have a good chance of winning if you shut down Foster and make their offense one-dimensional?[/b]
[b]RM:[/b] “Definitely. We know that they’re going to come in with their bread and butter, which is try to run and get to the perimeter. We’ve just got to do our best to make sure not one just one person gets the ball, that we get all hats to him and stop him, and make sure to get him down. We’re going to a familiar territory. I believe this is a different group. This is a different team than we were last year going into the playoffs. We’re a lot more familiar with the situation, and we’re comfortable. We know how loud it’s going to be and we know that if we give them a couple plays here and there, big plays, the crowd is going to erupt, the stadium’s going to go crazy. So in order to stop that, we need to stop their big playmakers and do our best to be consistent at times and make plays.”

[b]In last year’s regular-season game vs. Houston, you did a good job of slowing down Foster, but in the playoff game, he had a big game. What was the difference in those games?[/b]
[b]RM:[/b] “In the first game, we were able to disrupt and get to him (and allow just) three, four-yard gains. In the first game, there were a couple runs where he and Tate took the ball for like 30, 40 yards; but, they also fumbled the ball twice in key situations for us. So we feel as if we can use those two game plans that we had last year and try to just improve on it.

“The second game, we felt as if we had them pretty good in the first half. That momentum changed with the interception touchdown before the half that put them up 17-10, and then they got the ball back in the second half. They feed off of that. The crowd feeds off of that, noise. They just executed. In the end they just played better than we did and they wanted it more. So like I said, I believe this is a different team going into this game than we were last year in the first playoff game. We’ll be ready. Everyone’s just got to be disciplined and do what they’re supposed to do.”

[b]Does Houston’s play-action ability make its run game more dangerous?[/b]
[b]RM:[/b] “Yeah, it’s going to be hard. They’ve got a lot of misdirections. At the same time, they show that misdirection, but they still hand the ball off. So we’ve got to be fundamentally sound in our gaps. When we see the ball out the belly, we’ve got to punch out and get to our progressions, get to where we need to get to, make sure to disrupt them. I think if we stop the feel of the crowd, we can be in the game. We can be in it. It’s all going to come down to the running game. One of our goals is to hold them to three yards a carry. I believe if we do that, we can obviously have something going.”

[b]During the 2009 playoffs you had a broken leg. Last year you played with an ankle injury during the playoffs. Do you feel energized this year now that you’re healthy entering the postseason?[/b]
[b]RM:[/b] “No more so (than usual). Everyone talks about the grind and this is Week 17, 18 including the bye week. Obviously we’ve got to do our best to take care of our bodies. We know the situation and how it’s a privilege to be one of the 12 teams. We’ve got to take advantage of that. I’m as more excited as I’ve ever been to be able to play in a playoff game and to get the city of Cincinnati something to look forward to, as far as having that first win. With the Reds doing so good and going to the playoffs, it’s one of those things where the crowd was behind the Reds, and now we’ve just to give them a reason to be excited about this year.”

[b]What are your thoughts on Baltimore Ravens LB Rey Lewis announcing his retirement at the end of the postseason?[/b]
[b]RM:[/b] “I didn’t find out until we got on the bus. Obviously he’s a great player that achieved a lot in his 17-year career. He’s done it all. Anything that you could ask for in a middle linebacker, he’s done it and beyond.”

[img]http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/player-headshots/2012/dunlap_carlos--nfl_thumb3_65_90.jpg[/img]
[b]Dunlap[/b]
[b]DE CARLOS DUNLAP[/b]

[b]You and (defensive coordinator) Mike Zimmer clashed somewhat earlier in your career. You seem to have worked through that:[/b]
[b]CD:[/b] “You have conversations where you put everything on the table so you know what you both want, and when you get to that table, everybody reaps the reward. That’s one of the things my dad told me, because me and my dad used to bump heads all the time, too. You need that. They can’t be sunny days all the time. After the rain is the rainbow. That’s what my mom would tell you. Right now, we’re on the better side of the rain. We want to keep that going and try to find that gold at the end of the rainbow.”

[b]The defense really seems to play as a unit, not concerned about individual accomplishments: [/b]
[b]CD:[/b] “Exactly. As Domata (Peko) would say, it’s like the Uso Brotherhood. We’re playing for one another. There’s no one guy you come out and say that he’s the face of the defense. We’re known as the Bengals defense and that’s because we’ve got a lot of guys who are in sync with one another and playing for one another. That’s the best thing we’ve got going right now, and we want to keep that going.”

[b]Why do you think the Bengals have been so good on the road this season?[/b]
[b]CD:[/b] “Heart. We know what it takes. Last year, we had a solid season and a lot of our playmakers were rookies. This year, they’ve got that extra year under their belts, and they know what it’s like to go on the road. Now we’re just going out there and taking advantage of the opportunities we have, where we may have let some of them slip last year. That’s the difference.”

[b]What’s the key to shutting down the Texans’ rushing game?[/b]
[b]CD:[/b] “What we’ve been doing the last eight weeks of the season -- playing great run defense. We’re going to have to go out there and do it against one of the best running systems in the game right now. I feel like it’s going to be fun seeing the best bump heads.”

[img]http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/player-headshots/2012/whitworth_andrew--nfl_thumb3_65_90.jpg[/img]
[b]Whitworth[/b]
[b]T ANDREW WHITWORTH[/b]

[b]A lot has been said about the similarities between this year’s playoff matchup and last year’s game at Houston. Do the players even think about that?[/b]
[b]AW:[/b] “Not really, other than you know what it’s like being down there. We’ve been through that experience. Each game is its own game. You know how talented they are. You watch the films and see what they’re doing differently this year, and you go down there and try to play the best you can possibly play.”

[b]As one of the leaders of this team and of the offensive line, are there things you can say to the younger players to help prepare them for this situation?[/b]
[b]AW:[/b] “Yeah, little things, like preparing for different guys that I’ve played against since I have experience against them. Preparing each guy for what they’re going to be like – how fast a guy really is or how strong they are. It’s hard to see those things on film, so you can help with little things like that. Mainly, it’s just helping guys realize that the only thing they need to worry about is how they go play … and if each guy can go out there and win his one-on-one battle, we have a great chance of winning.”

[b]Do players have to guard against getting too hyped for the game?[/b]
[b]AW:[/b] “To some extent, but I think sometimes instead of worrying about how hyped you are, you need to just worry about executing. You don’t want to get caught up in how big the game is. Just get caught up in what you need to do personally. Win your one-on-one battle and worry about your assignment, and if all 11 guys do that, plays are going to work and we’re going to have success.”

[b]The Bengals won seven of their last eight regular-season game, while the Texans were struggling at the end of the season. Does that even matter going into the playoffs?[/b]
[b]AW:[/b] “I think you’re starting fresh, but things are in the back of your mind. We’ve won a lot of games out of the last eight, so that’s definitely a good thing. You have that winning mentality, that you’re going to find a way to win a game, somehow, and I think it’s a positive for us. But the truth is, in these games, everything counts – it doesn’t matter if you’ve won one or lost one. Whoever wins this one is all that matters, so that’s the only way you can go forward. You have to bring your best game.”

[img]http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/player-headshots/2012/green-ellis_benjarvus--nfl_thumb3_65_90.jpg[/img]
[b]Green-Ellis[/b]
[b]RB BENJARVUS GREEN-ELLIS[/b]

[b]After missing last week’s game with your hamstring injury, are you feeling confident about being able to go on Saturday?[/b]
[b]BGE:[/b] “I’m confident in the rehab process I’m going through. I’m taking it day-by-day, doing the things they have me lined up to do, and I’ll go out there and see how it goes. If my health is good enough to play, of course I’ll be out there. I want to be out there, and if everything lines up as it needs to, I’ll be out there.”

[b]How anxious are you and the whole offense to get cranked back up, because there’s been a little bit of a lull here at the end of the season, where points have been tough to come by offensively: [/b]
[b]BGE:[/b] “We just have to get out there and have some plays go our way. Just do the things we need to do, like converting third downs, rushing the ball, throwing the football. We just have to go out there and play good, sound football.”

[b]Do you feel any extra adrenaline in the playoffs?[/b]
[b]BGE:[/b] “Obviously the intensity level is up. The crowd is more into it and things like that. But when we go into the game, football has been the same since we were playing as little boys. You’ve got to go out there and make plays. You can’t let the moment make it bigger than what it really is. You’re out there just playing football. The lines are the same, the yards are the same. You just have to go out there and make plays.”

[img]http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/player-headshots/2012/burfict_vontaze--nfl_thumb3_65_90.jpg[/img]
[b]Burfict[/b]
[b]LB VONTAZE BURFICT[/b]

[b]After your “clash” with Ray Rice last week, are you going to take that mean attitude into this week’s game?[/b]
[b]VB:[/b] “I have to just play smart and put my team in the best position to win. I’ve got to play with that fiery edge, to make plays, just fly around and do what (Mike) Zimmer tells me to do.”

[b]How has the season been for you? You come in as a rookie, then have to switch positions. It’s been kind of a whirlwind for you: [/b]
[b]VB:[/b] “I’m truly blessed just to be in the position I’m in. Since day one, it’s been a very, very long road, a long process. Every day, I’m just trying to get better at whatever position I’m in. I just try to be a great team leader, a great defensive leader, and try to put my team in a position to win.”

[b]What kind of issues do the Texans present for your defense?[/b]
[b]VB:[/b] “They have a little bit of everything. It’s going to be all 11 tackling (Arian) Foster. He’s a great cutback runner, bounce runner. And he has a great backup. (QB Matt) Schaub is very good. He does a good job keeping his eyes downfield. It’s going to be our D-line getting to him, corners and safeties taking care of their responsibilities, and linebackers doing their jobs. It’s going to be a great game. At the end of the day, the best team wins.”

[b]How much have you heard about the atmosphere down there and how loud the fans are?[/b]
[b]VB:[/b] “This will be my first time in that dome. Our coach has been stressing that they’re going to be very loud, but I just have to use them as my energy. Every time they get loud, I have to feed off that. I can’t get too into it, because if you get too into it, you’re not doing your responsibility. For me, I just have to take some of that yelling that they’re doing and channel it onto the field.”

[b]How much confidence does this team’s defense have?[/b]
[b]VB:[/b] “We have a lot of confidence. We believe in each other. I believe in all 10 guys that I’m on the field with, and the backup guys. We all feel comfortable with each other and trust each other. We all communicate. That’s why I think our defense has been so good. We all understand each other.”

[img]http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/player-headshots/2012/lawson_manny--nfl_thumb3_65_90.jpg[/img]
[b]Lawson[/b]
[b]LB MANNY LAWSON[/b]

[b]What’s the defense’s mentality going into the postseason after winning seven of its final eight games?[/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “We feel amazing. We feel we can stop anybody. First of all, stop the run to make them one-dimensional and then let our front four rush the passer. Our cornerbacks and our DBs cover better than most.”

[b]Houston lost three of its final four games, while you guys won seven of eight to end the regular season. Does momentum mean anything heading into the playoffs?[/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “I think when you’re talking about momentum, it helps. When you have momentum, you want to keep on rolling with it. You don’t want to just all of a sudden have momentum, have it stop, and then hope you get it back again. Losing momentum is a key in winning. We have momentum going and I think it’s going to help us a lot.”

[b]What’s the biggest key in trying to containing RB Arian Foster?[/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “Really, it’s just trying to corner him and get guys around him. He’s a perimeter runner, and sort of a down-hill, cut-back runner. You can’t just hope that he cuts it back. You have to surround someone like Foster.”

[b]Was that the key to Houston’s success in last year’s playoff game, when it broke off more runs to the perimeter?[/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “I think they really just made great plays at the right time. In the running game overall it wasn’t our best day. They just beat our defense and beat us, and that’s why they were the victors in that game last year.”

[b]Is stopping the run the biggest factor for your defense to have a successful game? It seems like their offense flows of their running game:[/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “Yes, it does. I think once you make a team one-dimensional, it’s easier to play. It’s easier for Coach Zimmer to call plays when you start making them one-dimensional.”

[b]What’s been the biggest improvement in the Bengals run defense, especially in the second half of the season?[/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “I think really just understanding what we do as individuals, and then understanding what the guys around us, in front of us, behind us, beside us do. Understanding everybody’s job and where everybody fits. If you know where the guy next to you, or the guy behind you, is going to fit; that gives you a lot more confidence to do what you’re supposed to do, and you know that the guy behind you is going to do what he’s supposed to do. Therefore, the plays get stopped or a play gets made (defensively).”

[b]Is it about getting back to fundamentals after some of the starters played sparingly last week in the regular-season finale vs. Baltimore?[/b]
[b]ML:[/b] “That it is, that it is. (It’s all about) getting back to fundamentals, getting back to what we were set out to do, which is playing football and make plays.”

[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/coaches/2012/zimmer_mike_thumb--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg[/img]
[b]Zimmer[/b]
[b]DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR MIKE ZIMMER[/b]

[b]What do you personally try to accomplish when coaching your defense?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “I don’t know, try to teach them technique and the way we want it done and be demanding they do it all the time, I guess. Play hard.”

[b]Some people say you will not let your players be average. What does that mean to you?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “I’m demanding. If they want to get lazy, I’m not going to let them. I want to make sure they’re doing it right every single time. I think it’s more about making them do it each and every play.”

[b]Out of defensive linemen [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/geno-atkins/cce83be5-6849-488f-b8ed-cc876b47ca32/"]Geno Atkins[/url], [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/michael-johnson/b56aa7d9-808e-4cf2-a28c-ba03f25ef902/"]Michael Johnson[/url] and [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/carlos-dunlap/4a065377-8081-4dc1-a80f-daf22d74ba67/"]Carlos Dunlap[/url], who have you been able to get through the most and who needed it the most?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “Who needed it the most? Carlos. Michael had a reputation. Geno’s never been a guy that you kind of had to ride.”

[b]How have you worked your magic on Carlos Dunlap?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “Well I figured one of us was going to lose the fight and it wasn’t going to be me. They’re much easier to mold the way you want them molded when they’re young rookies; so both of those two guys, and Michael (Johnson) was not as bad as Carlos. Carlos was a guy that had to be pushed, confronted, threatened at times, not let play at times. Either they figure it out or they don’t figure it out, one way or the other. Both those two guys are smart guys. They understand that you’re trying to help them instead of trying to ridicule them, or something like that, and that it’ll work out.”

[b]Carlos has seen increased playing time this year, so he must be receiving what you’re sending:[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “Carlos has turned the corner for the most part. I hardly have to get on him anymore. For the most part, he tries to do things right. He’ll ask if he can do this or do that and I’ll say, ‘No,’ and that’s the end of the question. In the same token, he was struggling there at the beginning of the year and I allowed him to do a few things we don’t normally do because he was struggling. Just like I would if a corner was struggling with the technique we’re using; I might try to change it or do something like that. So we did change it a little bit with him.”

[b]Where did the term ‘salty’ arise from when you happily describe your defensive players when they perform well?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “I don’t know. It’s probably just one of those words I got one day. I don’t know where it came from, but our guys typically play real hard and do things right. We seem to be pretty competitive.”

[b]What do you teach a veteran like CB [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/terence-newman/6312eee8-0115-4ae9-9a0c-ab13a9cc864e/"]Terence Newman[/url]?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “He’s pretty smart as understanding what’s going on. Where he was lacking was confidence when he came here. He lacked the technical aspect of playing the position, maybe clarity about what he’s supposed to do and how he’s supposed to do it. So those are the things I helped him with.”

[b]Is it fair to say Atkins, Dunlap and Johnson all had first-round ability when they entered the NFL draft?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “I think the thing that held back Geno was his height. He didn’t quite have as good a (senior) year. But the other two guys had measurables coming out everywhere. Their lack of effort, I guess would be the best word to say, was the reason why they dropped down.”

[b]Where did you and Carlos butt heads the most?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “It was about every day for a while. (On) effort, doing it the way I wanted it done. Michael was a little similar too. Michael tried. Michael just tried to outthink himself too much. But with Carlos, I had to be a lot more demanding of him.”

[b]Do you think Michael Johnson was misread by scouts coming out of college?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “I do, yeah. He had a reputation of not finishing plays and not making plays and just looking pretty. That’s not really his mentality. He probably just didn’t know what he wasn’t doing. I pointed it out.”

[b]He seems to be pretty tough:[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “Yeah he’s tough. I like Mike, he’s a good kid. I’m glad he’s having the year he’s having.”

[b]What do you like most about your defensive unit this year compared to years past?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “I like the mix of the veterans that we have. I think that’s helped a little bit because we’ve got some younger guys in there. Guys like Newman and (Nate) Clements, (Robert) Geathers and some of the new guys we brought in there have helped. And they do a good job with communicating. The DBs, honestly, they do a great job of communicating how they’re playing this. Leon (Hall) sits right next to Terence in the meeting when I’m in there. They’re talking to each other all the time, in between plays, ‘Hey, we got this,’ he tells Adam (Jones). Adam’s made a tremendous transition, in my opinion, this year. But the biggest thing I like about them, and this has been like for a few years now, is they’ll do whatever I ask them to do. They never question anything. They try as hard as they can do it and they seem to have fun playing.”

[b]Your No. 1 tenet has always been to stop the run:[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “Well that’s the beginning of the defense. You build everything to get the run stopped. There are some games we go into saying, ‘We’ve got to hit the quarterback. They’re not going to run the ball very well.’ At the beginning of the year, that’s the number one thing. I don’t think for every single week that’s the number one goal. Earlier in the year when we were playing (Peyton) Manning, I don’t think that was the number one goal. There are different things each week.”

[b]Houston Texans RB Arian Foster presents a big challenge this week:[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “Oh yeah, we’ve got to stop the run this week. They do a great job in the run blocking. The scheme that they run is great. We’ve got to tackle. If we’re undisciplined in the run game, we’re going to get pounded, and then off of that comes the play-action pass. So if you can try to get this team to be one dimensional, it helps us. Saying that, any time you can stop the run with a seven-man front you’ll have an advantage on defense.”

[b]Does it appeal to you that your defense is not nationally well known?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “I don’t know that our guys really care that much about it. It’s like when I first got into this division, all I heard about was Pittsburgh and Baltimore and how great their defenses were. For the last, I don’t know, two years, we’ve been right up there with them. Now a year ago, I thought defensively, our schedule was a little softer than it was, but this year we’ve played some great quarterbacks and some terrific offenses and we’ve hung in there pretty good. But as far as (publicity), I don’t know that that matters. I think football people know what kind of job we’re doing here.”

[b]How big of an asset is it to have former Texan [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/jason-allen/ecbe6bdc-b8a6-4dd8-9713-06458d0391c5/"]Jason Allen[/url] on your team this week?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “Well he’s been talking to the guys a lot about formations and plays. We ask him, ‘If we see this, is this correct?’ and so on and so forth.”

[b]Has Houston’s offense changed much with RB Ben Tate and some linemen injured?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “No, they’re going to do what they do and do what they always do. They’ve beaten us four straight, so I don’t think they’re going to change a lot.”

[b]What’s different for Houston’s offense when QB Matt Schaub is playing compared to T.J. Yates?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “Schaub’s a good player. Pro Bowl guy, smart, gets the ball out quick. He doesn’t move around quite like Yates did, but obviously he’s got more experience and a lot more skins on the wall.”

[b]Is play-action Schaub’s best asset?[/b]
[b]MZ:[/b] “They always are great in their play-action game. They’ve got a great play-action game. They’ve got a quick (pass) game. Their shots come off the play-action and, obviously, off the running game, if they get the running game going. And the screens; they’re a terrific screen team.”[/size][/font][/color]
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Wednesday-quotes/578cf6e3-1f34-4212-a6b5-eab7105481d4?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1357166058' post='1202685']
Why can't someone on ESPN say something like this?
[/quote]

Maybe because last year, the Texans lost their last 3 regular season games and still kicked our ass in the playoff game...

Everyone is expecting the same thing to happen this year.

I think we will win unless they uncover our achilles heal, which is for their offense to play the majority of the game using the no-huddle offense.

[b]2. Marvin Lewis in the playoffs[/b]

Let's get this out of the way up top: Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis does a terrific job in less-than-ideal circumstances. He not only has these guys in the playoffs a second straight season; he has them there them for the third time in the past four years, and that's more than an achievement. It's a freakin' miracle.

Anyway, the [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CIN/cincinnati-bengals"]Bengals[/url]' franchise had a history of losing until Lewis showed up, and now Lewis has a chance to avenge last year's wild-card playoff loss in Houston. The [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/HOU/houston-texans"]Texans[/url] are floundering, but they're favored -- and there are a couple of reasons why: 1) They're home, and 2) they're the better ballclub. But they're also a descending ballclub, losing three of their last four, so there must be another reason.

And there is: Marvin Lewis hasn't won a playoff game. Period. We talk all the time about Atlanta getting blanked in the playoffs under Mike Smith, but the same goes here. Lewis is 0-3 with Carson Palmer and [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1125961/andy-dalton"]Andy Dalton[/url]. Mike Zimmer's defense gives him a shot to break through. So does Houston's unexpected free-fall. But keep this in mind: Lewis hasn't come closer than 10 points in any of his playoff losses.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark-judge/21486950/five-things-you-might-want-to-know-about-this-weekends-playoffs

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1357167253' post='1202696']
[b]2. Marvin Lewis in the playoffs[/b]

Let's get this out of the way up top: Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis does a terrific job in less-than-ideal circumstances. He not only has these guys in the playoffs a second straight season; he has them there them for the third time in the past four years, and that's more than an achievement. It's a freakin' miracle.

Anyway, the [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CIN/cincinnati-bengals"]Bengals[/url]' franchise had a history of losing until Lewis showed up, and now Lewis has a chance to avenge last year's wild-card playoff loss in Houston. The [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/HOU/houston-texans"]Texans[/url] are floundering, but they're favored -- and there are a couple of reasons why: 1) They're home, and 2) they're the better ballclub. But they're also a descending ballclub, losing three of their last four, so there must be another reason.

And there is: Marvin Lewis hasn't won a playoff game. Period. We talk all the time about Atlanta getting blanked in the playoffs under Mike Smith, but the same goes here. Lewis is 0-3 with Carson Palmer and [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1125961/andy-dalton"]Andy Dalton[/url]. Mike Zimmer's defense gives him a shot to break through. So does Houston's unexpected free-fall. But keep this in mind: Lewis hasn't come closer than 10 points in any of his playoff losses.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark-judge/21486950/five-things-you-might-want-to-know-about-this-weekends-playoffs
[/quote]

More false and just plain lazy journalism.

[color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]

[b] Notes: Lewis passes torch to Rey, Tez; BJGE, Crocker listed as limited; Zim on up-front guys[/b]

[/size][/font][/color][color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]

[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/clubimages/articles/2012/12-December/green-ellis121213_440.jpg[/img]
[b][url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/benjarvus-green-ellis/d809b273-f3c9-414d-b9b0-3fd185b8e017/"]BenJarvus Green-Ellis[/url][/b]
Updated: 8 p.m.
Bengals rookie WILL backer [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/vontaze-burfict/941b89df-2666-4d9f-810e-9b889ba417eb/"]Vontaze Burfict[/url] couldn’t believe that his idol, Ray Lewis, plans to retire at the end of the season. But when he digested the news after Wednesday's practice, he smiled when told that it was he who dominated Lewis' last regular-season game last Sunday at Paul Brown Stadium.
The Bengals beat Lewis' Ravens, 23-17 with the help of what the coaches charted as Burfict's 23 tackles for a final season take of 174. Lewis didn't play with his shoulder injury, but rest assured Burfict knew he was there. The picture he had taken with Lewis after the game may have meant as much as the 23 tackles.
"He told me 'Great game, great potential,' and that I was all over the field," Burfict said. "That meant a lot because I've looked up to him for so long."
Remember, Burfict was five when Lewis was drafted so all he's ever known is Lewis being the linebacker to idolize if you're going to be a backer. When he was a junior at Arizona State, he remembers that someone out there hooked him up on the phone with Lewis for a few minutes.
Middle linebacker [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/rey-maualuga/72e4f750-08d1-4fa5-abee-a5cfebe1389b/"]Rey Maualuga[/url] had similar thoughts when he heard the news as he boarded the bus back from practice. Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis had tried to hook them up in the last year or so, but Maualuga's schedule got cramped with the birth of his first child.
He also saw him on Sunday, but before the game, gave him a quick hug, and Ray Lewis told him to have a good game and "Play the game we play."
"I think there are a lot of linebackers in the country that look up to him and idolize his game," Maualuga said. "It was good to see him. He's done everything you could accomplish as a middle linebacker and beyond."
Lewis glowered off a wall in Maualuga's locker. His photo is on top of Lewis' list of "Survival Skills," that has been taped there for a few seasons.
"I feel he has a couple of more years," Maualuga said. "But when you know it's your time to call it quits, you know."
[b]BLAST ZONE:[/b] With the Bengals going indoors for the second straight day Wednesday, running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis practiced to the strains of Rage Against The Machine as they tuned for Saturday's decibel-fest (4:30 p.m.-Cincinnati's Channel 5) in Houston's Reliant Stadium.
Mindful of what the offense faced in last year's Wild Card game, head coach Marvin Lewis blasted the theme song of the Texans defense ("Bulls on Parade") during what was scheduled as a 90-minute workout in the University of Cincinnati bubble.
Early in practice, Green-Ellis, who felt his hamstring tighten on the first carry of last Sunday's pregame warmups, returned and was listed as limited. Safety[url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/chris-crocker/2772f783-b547-470c-b074-6229e7234ebd/"]Chris Crocker[/url] (thigh) was dressed and listed as limited. Backup safety[url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/taylor-mays/2f7a9a69-e958-4e77-9c03-7ae54ecf06af/"]Taylor Mays[/url] (hamstring) returned after missing Tuesday and was listed as limited, as was starting cornerback [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/terence-newman/6312eee8-0115-4ae9-9a0c-ab13a9cc864e/"]Terence Newman[/url] (groin) after he worked for the second straight day after missing last Sunday's game. The only player not working was backup right end [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/wallace-gilberry/5e92b88d-d45e-475d-a29b-6c64db345007/"]Wallace Gilberry[/url] with an illness.
With Reliant's retractable roof expected to be closed again Saturday, the Bengals are gearing up for the swarm of noise that helped paralyze their offense last season. It will be recalled last season with Dalton struggling in the sea of sound, he got sacked four times, hit five other times, picked off three times, and had nine passes defensed while the Texans rung up eight tackles for loss.
Look for the Bengals to head back indoors Thursday morning with temperatures at 35 degrees before they board the plane Friday afternoon. Dalton laughed earlier this week when asked if it got as loud in Reliant when he quarterbacked his suburban Houston high school team in the building.
"“No it wasn’t as loud. Katy (High School) does have a pretty good following, but they were on my side at that point," he said.
While Dalton talked about the need to be on the same page with his offensive line and that Houston and Seattle are tossups for his loudest venues, Lewis talked about his team adjusting to the entire atmosphere. He thinks winning seven of their last eight when all but the last game was a virtual must is a nice primer.
"I think the impressive part about Reliant Stadium last year was the pre-game atmosphere. The game atmosphere is what it is. But to me the pre-game atmosphere was one of the things that was impressive, and our guys have been through that now," Lewis said.
"It was not just like a regular Sunday afternoon game, even though we’ve played these (crucial) games since November and we knew that every one of them meant that if you don’t win, chances are you make it hard to get to this point. But we’ve done a good job at just focusing in on the next play and the next play and the next play, and not worrying about the big picture, and it’s going to be no different as we move forward now.”
Rookies like WILL linebacker Vontaze Burfict are getting a crash course from the people who have been there.
"Our coach has been stressing that they’re going to be very loud, but I just have to use them as my energy," Burfict said. "Every time they get loud, I have to feed off that. I can’t get too into it, because if you get too into it, you’re not doing your responsibility. For me, I just have to take some of that yelling that they’re doing and channel it onto the field.”

[b]MARVIN SALUTES RAY: [/b]Lewis was there at the creation 17 NFL seasons ago.
Back in his first year as Ravens defensive coordinator and Baltimore drafted a future Hall of Fame middle linebacker in Ray Lewis late in the first round. Marvin Lewis, who coached Ray for his first six seasons, heard of his retirement as he stepped off the bus from Wednesday's practice.
"He's had a tremendous career, tremendous impact. His mentorship to other players, his leadership is hard to describe," Marvin Lewis said. "I had a chance to visit with him briefly before (Sunday's) game. I said to myself, 'He doesn't look a day older than when we drafted him.' "
The Ravens were at Paul Brown Stadium last Sunday for their 23-17 loss to the Bengals, but Ray Lewis, as he has for most of the season, didn't play as he tries to get his should right for Baltimore's playoff game against the Colts. Marvin Lewis said he had no inkling during their visit.
"No, no. From that standpoint I'm pretty sure it's a good decision for him," Marvin Lewis said. "A decision hard for him to make, but one he feels good about. I'm happy for him. It's disappointing for the game after what he's done."
Marvin said there are two qualities that separate Ray: "Just his drive to be the best and to empower others to be better."
He agreed that there won't be many more middle backers that play 17 seasons.
"It's a difficult position to play that long, never mind at such a high level," he said.
[b]GAMER:[/b] Knowing the gamer that he is, Green-Ellis is expected to play after he showed up on Wednesday's injury report limited with the hamstring that tightened on him on the first carry of pregame. In true BenJarvusese learned at the feet of Bill Belichick, The Law Firm said a lot of nothing about his injury.
"I am confident in the rehab program things I'm going through. I'm taking it day by day going through the things they have me lined up doing. Go out there and see how it goes," Green-Ellis said after Wednesday's workout. "
"I'm just sticking to whatever the rehab course is and process and going through those things. If my health is good enough to play, of course I'll be out there. If everything lines up as it needs to be I'll be out there."
The nice thing for the Bengals is in BJGE they get veteran of the last AFC title game and Super Bowl. While playing for the Patriots he had 68 yards on 15 carries in the win over Baltimore before getting 10 carries for 44 yards in the Super tight loss to the Giants. He comes into the game with 47 battle-scarred carries in four post-season games. His advice is pretty simple.
"You go out there and play ball. It's not one of those things where you try to make it more than what it is," Green-Ellis said. "It's going to be a little bit more intense maybe, but once the game settles down the game is always going to be the game, I don't care if its the Super Bowl or what you are playing for. The game never changes."
He did learn some things from being on Belichick team that always makes the postseason.
"You’ve kind of got to go back to those things you kind of take for granted during the season, those fundamentals. Everyone is playing good. Everyone wants to win and things are not going to be easy. So you have to have good mental toughness and make adjustments during games," BJGE said. "Teams might throw different things at us than we’re accustomed to seeing. Just make those adjustments and being able to adjust right there on the field and not having to get back and watch the tape and then learn. Everyone has to be on board and be able to adjust and play their best."
Green-Ellis doesn't buy the notion it has become a passer's league. He's seen enough to know that a running game can still carry the day against defenses that fear balance.
"Everyone is making it out to be a passing league, but I don’t see numbers that are that skewed differently from any runner," he said. "You make it a passing league, you throw for 5,000 yards and your receivers are doing the same thing that your running backs are doing. So within a passing league, I would think that the numbers would be skewed the other way. But they’re not."
[b]SPEAKERS BUREAU:[/b] One thing that defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has in common with his best player, Pro Bowl defensive tackle [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/geno-atkins/cce83be5-6849-488f-b8ed-cc876b47ca32/"]Geno Atkins[/url], is that both of them don't go for small talk. In fact, Atkins goes for invisible talk.
"Geno doesn't say anything. I mean, ever," Zimmer said after Wednesday's practice. "As you guys know. 'How you doing today Geno?' 'Good coach.' That's about it. That's about all you get out of him.
"But he's a great guy. He does whatever he has to do. He talks a lot more around the guys than he does around you or me or anything like that. I wouldn't put him on the speaking tour."
Told that he sounded like a speechmaker Wednesday compared to Atkins, Zimmer said, "Yeah. It's a filibuster."
[b]ZIM THE MOTIVATOR:[/b] The nice thing about the playoffs is that storylines get dug up and reviewed and looked at in a different light. When the Bengals drafted right end [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/michael-johnson/b56aa7d9-808e-4cf2-a28c-ba03f25ef902/"]Michael Johnson[/url] in 2009 in the third round and left end [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/carlos-dunlap/4a065377-8081-4dc1-a80f-daf22d74ba67/"]Carlos Dunlap[/url] in the second round in 2010, they had the same kind of rep as hugely talented, underachieving guys that needed to be pushed by a taskmaster like Zimmer.
Now they are key players on what is fast becoming known as one of the league's best front fours. Johnson had a career year with 11.5 sacks and Dunlap has been a game-breaker with six sacks, two sacks-and strips, and an interception return for a touchdown.
Zimmer admits that people misread Johnson at Georgia Tech. He had the toughness, he had the desire, he just didn't play as well as had been expected in college. On the other hand, he says, Dunlap was a tougher read.
"I figured one of us was going to lose the fight and it wasn’t going to be me," Zimmer said. "They’re much easier to mold the way you want them molded when they’re young rookies. Michael was not as bad as Carlos. Carlos was a guy that had to be pushed, confronted, threatened at times, not let play at times. Either they figure it out or they don’t figure it out, one way or the other. Both those two guys are smart guys. I do think they understand that you’re trying to help them as opposed to trying to ridicule them or something like that."
They're still trying to push Dunlap's buttons. He's been listed as the starting left end on the depth chart most of the year, but he's made just one start. But he's also played the most he ever has with a snap count estimated at 601 compared to starting left end [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/robert-geathers/df33bdf1-58ad-48e6-9099-dd89edc34d0e/"]Robert Geathers[/url]' 650.
"Carlos has turned the corner for the most part. I hardly ever have to get on him anymore. For the most part he tries to do things right. He’ll ask if he can do this or do that and I’ll say ‘no’ and that’s the end of the question," Zimmer said. "By the same token he was struggling there at the beginning of the year and I allowed him to do a few things that we don’t normally do because he was struggling. Just like I would if a corner was struggling with the technique, I might try to change it and do something like that. We did change a little bit with him."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Lewis-passes-torch-to-Rey-Tez-BJGE-Crocker-listed-as-limited-Zim-on-up-front-guys/037c0ddb-950b-4ca0-9db5-5be00a6fdb61?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' timestamp='1357093341' post='1202350']
The Texans are really banged up at linebacker. They have already lost Cushing for the season. They just placed his replacement, Darryl Sharpton, on IR, meaning they are down to a third stringer at one of their ILB spots in their 3-4 defense. Also, starting OLB Brooks Reed missed last week's game and has missed 4 of the last 5 games due to a lingering groin injury. He may play, but he's going to be less than 100% for sure. Advantage Bengals and it could be a huge factor in deciding this game.
[/quote]

they also don't have Demeco Ryans like they did last year. Their D is weaker, ours is stronger than last time. Both of our O's are struggling.....wouldn't be surprised with a 13-10 game again.

[quote name='Dr Tarzan' timestamp='1357176437' post='1202750']
they also don't have Demeco Ryans like they did last year. Their D is weaker, ours is stronger than last time. Both of our O's are struggling.....wouldn't be surprised with a 13-10 game again.
[/quote]

the x-factor may be Leon Hall, who didn't play in last year's game. Obviously newman didn't either, but also Sims and Burfict.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357176965' post='1202751']
the x-factor may be Leon Hall, who didn't play in last year's game. Obviously newman didn't either, but also Sims and Burfict.
[/quote]

Rey wasnt even close to full strength either was he?

The combination of Rey at full strength, Sims and Burfict alone should help us to slow their running game and not allow them to put up 150 plus yards on the ground.

Combo of Newman and Hall, not to mention improved play of Jones, should help greatly in the passing game.

IMO if we can put up 17 points we can win this game.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357173532' post='1202730']
listening to dan and lap, it sounds like the bengals should expect to see AJ Green singled up with JJoe much of the game.
[/quote]

I dont think Joseph is 100% is he? We should take advantage of that.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1357178901' post='1202759']

Rey wasnt even close to full strength either was he?

The combination of Rey at full strength, Sims and Burfict alone should help us to slow their running game and not allow them to put up 150 plus yards on the ground.

Combo of Newman and Hall, not to mention improved play of Jones, should help greatly in the passing game.

IMO if we can put up 17 points we can win this game.
[/quote]

I like the bengals chances if they can get to 20.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357176357' post='1202748']
[size=5][color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][b]Marvin Lewis blasted the theme song of the Texans defense[/b] [i]("Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against The Machine)[/i] during what was scheduled as a 90-minute workout in the University of Cincinnati bubble.[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]
[center]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPGPixySyGI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPGPixySyGI[/url][/center]

[center][b]Great song ... that would have been a site to see. [/b][/center]

[b] The Bengals Will Win On Saturday If…[/b]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana][size=2]

[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana][size=3]

Vegas might be considering the Texans to be a 4.5 point favorite to win Saturday’s game, but you might not know that given some of the talk whirling around the interwebs. More than a few non-Bengals-oriented sites are lining up the Texans’ recent losing skid against the Bengals’ strong second half of the season and coming to a different conclusion from the odds-makers.
A honest assessment says that this should be a good game and could go either way. (That’s what we want in a post-season game, right?) Both teams are good, particularly on defense. And neither team is executing as they would like on offense. They game will come down to which way a handful of plays swing. The Bengals can be on the winning side of those plays if…
[b]Jermaine Gresham exploits Houston’s depleted linebacker corps.[/b] Despite Brooks Reed looking to get back on the field this week, the Texans’ mid-fielders have been [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/01/texans-place-darryl-sharpton-on-injured-reserve/"]battling the injury bug[/url]. That spells a big opportunity for Gresham, who has done a much better job of commanding the middle of the field this season. Taking advantage of a defense that is a little soft in the middle and paying extra attention to A.J. Green will be the spark that the offense has been lacking the past few weeks. And along that same theme…
[b]Andrew Hawkins makes his presence felt.[/b] Our interest will naturally be drawn to the matchup of AJ vs JJoe. [AJ went 10/106 in their two games last year.] Same for the Texans’ defense. With a little creativity and timeliness from Jay Gruden, Hawkins could remind us why he draws comparisons to Wes Welker at times.
[b]The offensive line gives Dalton a little time.[/b] Much like the Bengals, the Texans will rely on their pass rush to disrupt Dalton and break down the offense. Expecting the line to look as solid as it did a month ago is setting yourself up for big disappointment. But they need to improve their play just enough to give Andy a little bit more time and room, leading me to the next point…
[b]Andy Dalton stays calm and collected.[/b] If we’ve learned anything about Dalton in the last month, it’s that he is far less effective when he has one eye on the pass rush. (That’s true of most all QBs though.) He has to stay in that zone where he is in command of the game and be okay with taking a few shots, because he will whether he wants to or not.
[b]The defense makes life hard on Arian Foster.[/b] The Texans live by the run, so they Bengals will have to make them die by the run. The more we are hearing the names of Peko and Sims, the better. Force Matt Schaub to live up to his Pro Bowl selection. (The best way to do that is with an early lead.) Andre Johnson will likely get his, but he can’t do it all on his own. Keep the ball in Schaub’s hands and watch the D-line feast on him.

http://whodeyfans.com/2013/01/02/the-bengals-will-win-on-saturday-if/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-bengals-will-win-on-saturday-if[/size][/font][/color]

Archived