Stick with Brown or Nugent next year?

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1357256770' post='1203168']
Have to go with Brown in my opinion. Nugent has either faltered down the stretch and/or was injured year after year. This is money time. Haven't seen anything from Nugent that he is money when it counts.
[/quote]

This.

I would normally say give it to who earns it in camp next year, but I think it's time to part ways with Nugent. He has proven over his entire career that he simply can't stay healthy, and his talent isn't large enough to merit rolling the dice with him every year as to whether we are scraping someone off the scrap heap at the end of the year because he can't suit up.

I don't see how people think Nugent or Brown would accept a TC competition. There's teams out there looking for a solid kicker and both of them are.

It's like inviting Jay Cutler to complete vs Andy Dalton for the starting QB job next year. They're both solid QB's who don't have to do that.

I expect the bengals will have to pick one of the 2 because they're both going to be signed to multi year deals in the off season. MAYBE nugent doesn't because he's injured, but Brown, hahahahahaha he's 12/13 on FG's, He's kicking like his good years in STL, he's going to get a 2-3 year deal somewhere.

[quote name='turningpoint' timestamp='1357317858' post='1203281']
[b]I don't see how people think Nugent or Brown would accept a TC competition. There's teams out there looking for a solid kicker and both of them are.[/b]

It's like inviting Jay Cutler to complete vs Andy Dalton for the starting QB job next year. They're both solid QB's who don't have to do that.

I expect the bengals will have to pick one of the 2 because they're both going to be signed to multi year deals in the off season. MAYBE nugent doesn't because he's injured, but Brown, hahahahahaha he's 12/13 on FG's, He's kicking like his good years in STL, he's going to get a 2-3 year deal somewhere.
[/quote]

I'm relatively certain that there are less than a dozen "settled kicker situations" in the NFL and that the other 20 teams will have more than 1 kicker in camp who has a shot at the starting job. Both of these guys were unemployed within the past two years. I don't think either is too proud to kick for his paycheck. In fact I think Brown will want to stay and build off a solid season and Nugent will want to stay and prove that he's the guy in TC. Where is Nuge gonna go that he won't have a competition next year?

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1357269651' post='1203201']
Unless Brown kicks his way into Bengal glory with a fantastic or clutch outing this Saturday, I anticipate a training camp competition next year.

IMO, if they havent won you something BIG, a kickers job should never be secure.
[/quote]

Well his kick did win the Steelers game for us. I can easily seeing Nuge miss that kick

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1357318246' post='1203282']
I'm relatively certain that there are less than a dozen "settled kicker situations" in the NFL and that the other 20 teams will have more than 1 kicker in camp who has a shot at the starting job. Both of these guys were unemployed within the past two years. I don't think either is too proud to kick for his paycheck. In fact I think Brown will want to stay and build off a solid season and Nugent will want to stay and prove that he's the guy in TC. Where is Nuge gonna go that he won't have a competition next year?
[/quote]

I too think they only sign one and maybe add a UDFA to compete in camp. While I agree that either of these guys might see competition elsewhere, I doubt that either of them returns to the Bengals with the knowledge that the other is coming back as well and they will be competing. I think as a K you hedge your bets and try to compete against someone you think you will beat. This situation is bad for both of them.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1357329065' post='1203354']
I too think they only sign one and maybe add a UDFA to compete in camp. While I agree that either of these guys might see competition elsewhere, I doubt that either of them returns to the Bengals with the knowledge that the other is coming back as well and they will be competing. I think as a K you hedge your bets and try to compete against someone you think you will beat. This situation is bad for both of them.
[/quote]

Agreed! And well said!

[quote name='turningpoint' timestamp='1357317858' post='1203281']
I don't see how people think Nugent or Brown would accept a TC competition. There's teams out there looking for a solid kicker and both of them are.

[/quote]

I stated the same opinion some where on here a week ago or so. I don't see a competition between Nugent and Brown. I do hope they sign Brown and bring a CFA in for training camp and preseason.

I did a comparison a few weeks back on Brown and Nugent and they seemed to have really comparable kickoffs and longs on their fgs and fg percentages. At this point I think you just go with the guy who is more reliable physically. We have had luck with kickers since we let Rackers walk. Everyone we have had has done well.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1357330887' post='1203368']
I did a comparison a few weeks back on Brown and Nugent and they seemed to have really comparable kickoffs and longs on their fgs and fg percentages. At this point I think you just go with the guy who is more reliable physically. We have had luck with kickers since we let Rackers walk. Everyone we have had has done well.
[/quote]
Just an eyeball test, but it appears Browns kickoffs are deeper usually. Can somefind data on this?

I think Brown is the guy, he has ICe in his veins, as much as I like Nugent, he looks nervous out there, and his kicks seem to sail of bend some. Brown's look like a laser beam on a curve, they don't every seem to bend, they're straight everytime. Even on the 56yder vs the Steelers that fell short, was dead straight, I still think he lost some of his footing on that kick and didn't get everything he had underneath it. IMO he makes that kick if given another try.

Archived