Compensatory picks

I saw that we were projected to receive 2 7th rounders. Kinda nice to have, but when you are talking about those last few picks of the draft, not much of a difference between those guys and the undrafted guys.

The positive is that you draft a guy you like with one of those last picks, you don't have to worry about competing with another team to sign the guy. The negative is that the guy ends up being a good bit more expensive than if you don't draft him and just sign him as an undrafted FA. Burfict for example got a $1,000 signing bonus, way less than even the very last pick in the draft gets.

Holy shit... When can we re-up Burflict?

We have his exclusive rights for three or four years. I would guess he will get a long term extension in a year or two though.

Here is an article about the signing bonus:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8809085/nfl-playoffs-2013-vontaze-burfict-bum-rap

The funny thing is that Marvin had to request that Mike Brown give him the one grand. Management wanted to give him no bonus at all:

Lewis was the only person inside the Cincinnati franchise who wanted to take a shot on Burfict. "We gave him a $1,000 signing bonus when we signed him, and that's only because I asked for that," Lewis said. "[Management] wasn't even willing to give him that much coming in."

Had to fight for a 1000 dollar signing bonus? You'd think mike would trust Marvin a little bit not to bitch about a 1000 dollars.

I understand burfict was a huge question mark at the time but bickering about that dollar amount is a little petty.

Had to fight for a 1000 dollar signing bonus? You'd think mike would trust Marvin a little bit not to bitch about a 1000 dollars.

I understand burfict was a huge question mark at the time but bickering about that dollar amount is a little petty.

It was actually a $1000 credit at the stadium gift shop & concession stands.

If I'm not mistaken, the Bengals don't typically give any UDFA's a signing bonus.  Not that the amount itself was a big deal, I think it was just the standard thing they do.

If I'm not mistaken, the Bengals don't typically give any UDFA's a signing bonus.  Not that the amount itself was a big deal, I think it was just the standard thing they do.

You're seeing more of that now-paying signing bonuses for UDFAs around the league.

If it were me and I was a player - and it was late in the draft, I wouldn't be upset if I were a UDFA and had teams bidding on my services... Plus, I could evaluate what team(s) were likely the best fit, and I'd want to go to a team where I'd have a better shot of sticking.

You're seeing more of that now-paying signing bonuses for UDFAs around the league.

If it were me and I was a player - and it was late in the draft, I wouldn't be upset if I were a UDFA and had teams bidding on my services... Plus, I could evaluate what team(s) were likely the best fit, and I'd want to go to a team where I'd have a better shot of sticking.

Yeah, a lot of players and agents think once it gets to round 6 you are just about better off not getting drafted at all.

Except maybe kickers and punters.

Holy shit... When can we re-up Burflict?

Today if we wanted to. Drafted players can't renegotiate for 3 years so Dalton has to play the 2013 season on his rookie deal. Undrafted players like Burfict can get new deals, though the team could hold on to him for two more years at minimum salary plus a season as a RFA.

Not true. The Bengals have always given bonuses to their priority udfas. In the last couple of years the league has put limits on the amount you can pay udfas to sign.

Archived