NFL Alters policy on bringing bags into games

Bengals1181

League alters bag policy for safety, convenience

Posted by Mike Florio on June 13, 2013, 1:21 PM EDT
purse.jpg?w=233

At a time when the NFL is championing diversity, the league still doesn’t want to see men with purses.  But for entirely different reasons.

The NFL is now prohibiting purses and other similar bags from pro football stadiums.

A team source alerted PFT to the looming change in the NFL’s policy regarding bags.  The NFL has confirmed that the policy, primarily intended to enhance safety, was revised based on the recommendation of the Stadium Security and Fan Conduct Committee.

Fans will be encouraged to bring no bags of any kind to NFL stadiums.  Starting with the 2013 preseason, only certain bags will be permitted.

Specifically, the bags must be clear, and they must be made of plastic, vinyl, or PVC.  The dimensions may not exceed 12 inches by six inches by 12 inches.  Alternatively, fans may bring a one-gallon Ziploc (product placement!) freezer bag.

Fans are limited to one bag each.  Teams will be encouraged to make clear bags available for their belongings.  Binoculars, phones, and cameras can be can be carried in to the stadium.

Coincidentally, clear plastic tote bags bearing official NFL team logos are available for purchase.

This means no purses (other than small “clutch” bags) or backpacks or coolers or briefcases or fanny packs or cinch bags or seat cushions or luggage of any kind or computer bags or camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.  The NFL has explained that seat cushions are prohibited because of the possibility that they will be used to conceal an explosive device.

Again, small “clutch” bags (roughly the size of a hand) are permitted.  Also, an exception will be made for medically necessary items, subject to inspection at the gate.

Other venues have taken similar measures.  The University of Michigan, Penn State University, and Michigan State University prohibit all bags, and TD Garden in Boston allows only “clutch” bags.  It’s amazing more venues haven’t joined this trend.

The goal, in addition to safety, is to minimize the time spent inspecting items at the gate.  This procedure makes it easier to eyeball what fans are bringing to the stadium.

Ideally, fans would bring nothing, other than their wallets.

All (or at least most) kidding aside, it’s a good policy.  To ensure that everyone at a game is safe, sacrifices have to be made.  In lieu of sacrificing a bunch of time standing in line while gigantic purses and backpacks are searched, this policy makes plenty of sense.

And if fans don’t like it, they can watch the game at home.  The fact that the NFL is willing to let fans make that choice at a time when the league is trying desperately to lure fans to the stadium demonstrates the importance the NFL has attached to the issue.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/league-alters-bag-policy-for-safety-convenience/

Who are they kidding, this is to keep people from smuggling in alcohol so fans have to pay $10 for a shitty beer.

So they are adding all this cool stuff to the "stadium experience" for smartphones and notepads, and then saying you can't carry those things into the stadium because they aren't transparent.  makes sense.

Who are they kidding, this is to keep people from smuggling in alcohol so fans have to pay $10 for a shitty beer.

Nah man it's for SAFETY.

Probably a topic for J & D but I swear this country has reached a point where we're expected to bend over, spread & cough if anyone in a uniform says the magic word "terrorism".

Nah man it's for SAFETY.

Probably a topic for J & D but I swear this country has reached a point where we're expected to bend over, spread & cough if anyone in a uniform says the magic word "terrorism".

We've devolved into a gaggle of simpering cowards... 

you always have the option of NOT going to games. If this keeps someone from bringing something dangerous into a stadium, the change has done its job.

Not allowing people to wear pants would make sure nobody smuggles in a knife or gun.

Nobody has set off a bomb in any NFL stadium. NFL stadiums charge outrageous prices for beer and snacks.

Therefore, outrageous prices for beer and snacks are necessary for keeping us safe!

:thwack1:

Sorry but this "I've got nothing to hide anyway" & "Well then don't use a cellphone TROLOLOL" attitude is far, far more dangerous to our way of life than any terrorist.

I get hammered before the game anyways. No need for a flask. One or two beers to keep my enthusiasm goin through the actual game, and I'm good. I'm sure the chicks won't be happy about this shit though.

Well yeah, after the game you're all worn out and limp-dicked from booze anyway, so just tell the chicks to get lost. It's football and alcohol. The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Not allowing people to wear pants would make sure nobody smuggles in a knife or gun.

Nobody has set off a bomb in any NFL stadium. NFL stadiums charge outrageous prices for beer and snacks.

Therefore, outrageous prices for beer and snacks are necessary for keeping us safe!

:thwack1:

Sorry but this "I've got nothing to hide anyway" & "Well then don't use a cellphone TROLOLOL" attitude is far, far more dangerous to our way of life than any terrorist.

and no one had ever set off a bomb at the Boston Marathon before either.

I always chuckle when people bitch about a minor inconvenience that benefits their safety.  

and no one had ever set off a bomb at the Boston Marathon before either.

Hi! I'm Steve from the NSA...you don't mind if I just monitor all your behavior for awhile, do you? No? Thanks. Remember....if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide! We appreciate your cooperation, even though we'd proceed as normal without it.

It will save me money.   I won't be able to spend much money in the Pro Shop buying jerseys, sweatshirts, hats and other Bengal's gear.  There is no way I can fit all that stuff in a little, clear bag.

And there is no way I would let the Pro Shop use a larger bag.  My family's personal safety is at stake.

Hi! I'm Steve from the NSA...you don't mind if I just monitor all your behavior for awhile, do you? No? Thanks. Remember....if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide! We appreciate your cooperation, even though we'd proceed as normal without it.

let's not pretend that's equitable to what you are allowed, and not allowed, to bring into a stadium.  

let's not pretend that's equitable to what you are allowed, and not allowed, to bring into a stadium.  

The more I see shit like this, the more I am starting to believe the NRA's paranoid rants about taking guns away. As in...once you give an inch, they take a mile in the name of "security" and that inch never comes back and then the "now" security procedures become the "new normal" until we reach a point where anal screens and x-rays will be mandatory at all public gatherings,

The more I see shit like this, the more I am starting to believe the NRA's paranoid rants about taking guns away. As in...once you give an inch, they take a mile in the name of "security" and that inch never comes back and then the "now" security procedures become the "new normal" until we reach a point where anal screens and x-rays will be mandatory at all public gatherings,

ha, I was actually going to post something along those lines, but didn't want to turn this political.  

It's shit like this that that law failed.  People letting more guns get into the hands of criminals because they can't be bothered to wait a few days longer to get their gun while a background check is done.

Too many people concerned about their ability to say they have the right to do whatever the hell they want, than worrying about the greater good for everyone.  

My primary care is the safety of my family wherever I'm at.  if not being able to bring a non-clear bag into a stadium keeps them safer who the hell cares if I can't bring in a backpack? 

As far as I'm concerned, once you walk into the stadium you give up some of your right to do whatever you want anyway.  That's why they have the right to kick you out if you can't be respectable.

Well yeah, after the game you're all worn out and limp-dicked from booze anyway, so just tell the chicks to get lost. It's football and alcohol. The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Lmao I meant because some chicks carry those ridiculously big purses. Not exactly gonna win over any new female fans with this one

Archived