Gun Control at Work!

Jason

Yes they have strict gun laws. The problem is none of the areas around them

have the same laws. So unless they build a barricade around the City, or get

the rest of the Country on board. Then you'll have stuff like that going on.

Or we could just flood the City with more guns. That should help.

Yes they have strict gun laws. The problem is none of the areas around them

have the same laws. So unless they build a barricade around the City, or get

the rest of the Country on board. Then you'll have stuff like that going on.

Or we could just flood the City with more guns. That should help.

you expected them to take an honest look and not be disingenuous?

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...211673851.html

Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation.

Prayers to the victims and/or their families.

One question...

Why would Chicago institute some of the strictest gun control if it will not work ?  Areas around Chicago do not have the same measures in place as has been said already.  It's not enforceable because there is no force behind the law.  The answer is it looks good on paper and appeases the masses but will NEVER work as long as there is no force behind the law itself.  No law works without PROPER enforcement.  This is not a condemnation of law enforcement but a condemnation on the government that proposes these things without proper consideration of what it takes to enforce the laws.

My son lives in Chicago and I once lived just north of Chicago.  The gang activity in Chicago dwarfs most other cities by a wide margin yet they continue to operate with little interference from the government or the law enforcement agencies that exist there.  No amount of gun control will stop the violence in any city without ( once again ) proper enforcement of the law.

Taking guns away from good honest citizens means only criminals have guns.  

How does that protect anyone but the criminals?

Which also explains, if your interpretation of the situation is true, why Chicago and DC have so much gun crime.  Criminals know their victims won't be armed, so they go there to commit those crimes.

Taking guns away from good honest citizens means only criminals have guns.  

How does that protect anyone but the criminals?

Which also explains, if your interpretation of the situation is true, why Chicago and DC have so much gun crime.  Criminals know their victims won't be armed, so they go there to commit those crimes.

I don't equate making it harder for idiots, bad people and insane people to get guns to

"taking guns away". If you are good and honest, then why not make it harder for people

that aren't good and honest to get them? 

And the places you mentioned obviously had major problems with guns before they toughened 

the guns laws. So it's not like they all of a sudden had a problem when they made laws stricter.

Flooding places with guns and/or doing nothing obviously is not the answer.

I don't equate making it harder for idiots, bad people and insane people to get guns to

"taking guns away". If you are good and honest, then why not make it harder for people

that aren't good and honest to get them? 

And the places you mentioned obviously had major problems with guns before they toughened 

the guns laws. So it's not like they all of a sudden had a problem when they made laws stricter.

Flooding places with guns and/or doing nothing obviously is not the answer.

Making it harder for criminals to get guns is a practical step to take, IF you can enforce it. How would you enforce these laws?

Making it harder for criminals to get guns is a practical step to take, IF you can enforce it. How would you enforce these laws?

Back ground checks. Make people get gun licenses from a class that takes at least 6 months.

Legalize marijuana (at least) and use those resources, money, manpower and jail space

to start dealing with people that break the law using guns. 

Back ground checks. Make people get gun licenses from a class that takes at least 6 months.

Legalize marijuana (at least) and use those resources, money, manpower and jail space

to start dealing with people that break the law using guns. 

This plus use the money to invest in education ALOT more.

I think there are police who assist with law enforcement.  Maybe set them loose on the lawbreakers? 

Most local governments are broke. I don't think they could afford to enforce these laws even if they wanted too.

I don't know that the local governments are broke.  What I do see is multiple gun offenders let off in the court systems once they are arrested and given what amounts to a slap on the wrist.  Pay for the court costs, pay for the incarceration, pay to keep them there, and pay pay pay...  It's not cheap but without specific guidelines for use of this "new money," we can not be guaranteed this or any other laws will be enforced properly.  Lastly, merely loosing the police upon gun crimes will not do the job because the money is not there and would have to be taken away from another aspect of law enforcement (rob Peter to pay Paul)...  I'm not willing to further weaken the already weak enforcement of the current laws.

One person has already did what I would expect done when someone wants to bring a new law into place.  "Let's allocate some of that money for education" or "Let's use that money elsewhere..."...  I am a firm believer that education can solve some of the problems that exist in our society but at the point someone puts a gun in their hands and commits a crime, time for education is over.  Time for hard time begins.  Money exists for education at this point (see chart below).  It is not a matter of throwing more money at something but overhauling the entire education system.

http://www.studentsfirst.org/blog/entry/under-spending-overspending-or-misspending

Over the last 4 decades we have more than tripled our spending on education, yet our student achievement levels have stayed flat.

spendingvsachievement.png

Archived