Famous singers boycotting Florida?

Go Skins

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/07/22/report-rolling-stones-madonna-rod-stewart-to-join-stevie-wonders-boycott-of-florida

Which leads to this link:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/312559-report-kanye-west-rolling-stones-join-stevie-wonders-florida-boycott?utm_campaign=briefingroom&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitterfeed

Some of the music industry's biggest acts are joining Stevie Wonder in boycotting Florida over the state's controversial "stand your ground" law. 

Artists joining Wonder include Rod Stewart, Madonna, Usher and Justin Timberlake, a source close to the legendary musician told American Urban Radio Network's April Ryan.

Rappers Jay Z, Kanye West, Trey Songz, Young Jeezy and Wale have also signed on to the boycott threat, as have pop acts like R. Kelly, Rihanna and Alicia Keys. 

Wonder announced his intended boycott the day after a Florida jury acquitted George Zimmerman of second-degree murder charges stemming from the death of Trayvon Martin. 

"I decided today that until the 'stand your ground' law is abolished in Florida, I will never perform there again," he said. "As a matter of fact, wherever I find that law exists, I will not perform in that state or in that part of the world."

"For those that we have lost in the battle for justice, wherever that fits in any part of the world — we can't bring them back," he continued. "[What] we can do is we can let our voices be heard. And we can vote in our various countries throughout the world for change and equality for everybody. That's what I know we can do."

Other musicians have signaled their support for Martin: Bruce Springsteen dedicated a song to "justice for Trayvon Martin" during a concert in Limerick, Ireland, while Jay Z and Beyonce met with Martin's parents during a rally in New York City.

The "stand your ground" self-defense laws in Florida and two dozen other states allow individuals to defend themselves without requiring them to attempt to evade or retreat from a dangerous situation. Although Zimmerman did not specifically employ a "stand your ground" law defense to combat second-degree murder charges in the killing of Florida teen Trayvon Martin, the trial has brought a renewed scrutiny to the statutes.

According to Ryan's report, some of the recording artists have already canceled shows in the Sunshine State.

I saw this on Yahoo's homepage.  Opens up the venues for better acts if you ask me!!  There's about 30 others states with

similar laws on the books.  Are they going to boycott those states too or just be total hypocrites and just boycott Florida?

What about the city of Chicago?  Are they going to boycott Chicago with all the young black on black crime/killings??  I doubt

it!!  Fuckin' hypocrites!!  The fans should boycott them!!  They're basically telling their fans that because of one persons doing, one that was found innocent by the way, 

the law abiding fans of theirs are going to have to travel out of state if they want to see them perform live!!  If I were a fan of one

of these acts, I'd tell em to go fuck themselves!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-your-ground_law

I saw this on Yahoo's homepage.  Opens up the venues for better acts if you ask me!!  There's about 30 others states with

similar laws on the books.  Are they going to boycott those states too or just be total hypocrites and just boycott Florida?

What about the city of Chicago?  Are they going to boycott Chicago with all the young black on black crime/killings??  I doubt

it!!  Fuckin' hypocrites!!  The fans should boycott them!!  They're basically telling their fans that because of one persons doing, one that was found innocent by the way, 

the law abiding fans of theirs are going to have to travel out of state if they want to see them perform live!!  If I were a fan of one

of these acts, I'd tell em to go fuck themselves!!

This is one of those times I will say God bless the free market and their (these artists) right to do whatever the hell they want.

What about the city of Chicago?  Are they going to boycott Chicago with all the young black on black crime/killings?? 

Here we go again with the "but black folks shoot each other all day!" bullshit. 

also why is there a question mark in the thread title.

Famous singers boycotting Florida.

because, yes, they are.

This is one of those times I will say God bless the free market and their (these artists) right to do whatever the hell they want.

+1

Pretty simple.  No different than the Chick Fil A deal or anything else.  A person is unhappy with something - they're using an avenue that they control to get their message out.  However misguided it may be, or is not, they have that right.

On the flipside of it, general public have that same right to answer in earnest as well.  You may see a groundswell of support for the acts - travelling out of state to do that, etc. or you may see backlash and those same fans telling the acts a healthy FU.

Wonder said "any state with a "Stand Your Ground" law... time for all these other cats that are bellying up support to put up or shut up.  Don't be hypocritical in a year when this story has died down and it makes economic sense to have a show in Miami, Las Vegas, Phoenix, New Orleans, Dallas / Ft. Worth, etc. 

+1

Pretty simple.  No different than the Chick Fil A deal or anything else.  A person is unhappy with something - they're using an avenue that they control to get their message out.  However misguided it may be, or is not, they have that right.

On the flipside of it, general public have that same right to answer in earnest as well.  You may see a groundswell of support for the acts - travelling out of state to do that, etc. or you may see backlash and those same fans telling the acts a healthy FU.

Wonder said "any state with a "Stand Your Ground" law... time for all these other cats that are bellying up support to put up or shut up.  Don't be hypocritical in a year when this story has died down and it makes economic sense to have a show in Miami, Las Vegas, Phoenix, New Orleans, Dallas / Ft. Worth, etc. 

I think it would definitely show an unbiased approach to this matter.  Note:  You forgot a few states.  Keep in mind Castle Doctrine is similar.

Many states have some form of stand-your-ground law.

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
California
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

because, yes, they are.

I'll believe it when I see it, that's why there is a question mark. 

Some famous people say things they don't follow through with.  This could end up being one of them.

I would like to hear from the Florida members of this board on this subject.  Having spent some time in Florida I am wondering if anybody from there might feel the same way.

http://money.msn.com/now/post--what-calls-to-boycott-florida-after-zimmerman-miss

Is boycotting Florida after Zimmerman a good move?
Or would that strategy do more harm than good? After all, the people it would hurt didn't do anything wrong.

By Jonathan Berr Fri 12:13 PM
Orlando, Florida

Would boycotting Florida businesses in the wake of the acquittal of George Zimmerman do more harm than good?

That's the question supporters of such a move -- including singer Stevie Wonder,  California Assemblyman Chris Holden, and Moveon.org -- haven't brought up. Civil rights activist Martin Luther King III, who is encouraging people not to buy Florida orange juice, hasn't discussed it either. That's a pity.

Tourism is Florida's No. 1 industry and employs more than 1 million state residents, more than 5% of the total population. The citrus business is smaller and supports about 76,000 jobs. By boycotting Florida's $71.8 billion tourism industry and its $1.14 billion citrus business, activists are lumping people in with Zimmerman who may be as outraged as they are about the killing of Trayvon Martin.

It's guilt by association, which ironically is what many people accused the former neighborhood watch volunteer of assuming of Martin, who was unarmed when he was killed. Not only is it unfair, but it's un-American.

The potential economic impact of these types of actions can be tricky to measure. According to CBS Miami, a 2010 boycott of Arizona after the state passed a controversial crackdown on people without proper immigration papers cost about $145 million in lost business. Not surprisingly, Florida Gov. Rick Scott is in damage-control mode and is visiting the cable news outlets to press his case.

At least one organization, the National Association of Black Journalists, is taking the right approach by resisting calls by some members to cancel its annual convention in Florida. 

"We as black journalists have a role here; we must examine this story and the ramifications of the tragedy of Trayvon Martin's death, as well as the ramifications of the verdict in the Zimmerman trial, from all sides," the group says on its website.

This isn't the first time public outrage has trumped common sense. Soon after BP's (BP) Gulf oil spill in 2010, calls erupted for people to boycott the company's service stations. The one flaw with that logic was that the folks who owned them were independent businesspeople, which has been the case for years.

An owner of a cafe in Oakland whose window was smashed by anti-Zimmerman protestors is using his misfortune as a way to start a dialogue about race in America. That seems to be a far more productive approach than economically punishing people who haven't done anything wrong.

They probably put the question mark in the title so those that are boycotting can save face later.

You can call it bullshit if you want about the black on black crime in Chicago.  You're entitled to your

opinion.  I'd never deny you that.  

An article everyone might want to check out.  http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/chicago-murders-top-afghanistan-death-toll/

I'll highlight the a few paragraphs for ya:  In addition, police reports in Chicago – where President Obama once worked as a community organizer and where his former chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, now serves as mayor – show most of the city’s massive murder mayhem is black-on-black crime.

A WND review of the Chicago Police Department Murder Analysis reports from 2003 to 2011 provides a statistical breakdown of the demographics of both the victims and offenders in the 4,265 murders in Chicago over that time period.

Of the victims of murder in Chicago from 2003 to 2011, an average of 77 percent had a prior arrest history, with a high of 79 percent of the 436 murdered in Chicago in 2010 having arrest histories.

For the same 2003-2011 period, blacks were the victims of 75 percent of 4,265 murders. Blacks also were the offenders in 75 percent of the murders.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/chicago-murders-top-afghanistan-death-toll/#xfaj8rq6luG2h9M1.99 

Take it for what it's worth.

As an argument, that position sucks, but it also sucks because it's generally true. Just look at the statistics on black on black homicides, the facts don't lie. Obviously this is really more of a construct of poverty and hopelessness than race, it just so happens there are a lot of poor black people especially in inner cities, where all this shit goes down. Also, drugs and gangs.

As an argument, that position sucks, but it also sucks because it's generally true. Just look at the statistics on black on black homicides, the facts don't lie. Obviously this is really more of a construct of poverty and hopelessness than race, it just so happens there are a lot of poor black people especially in inner cities, where all this shit goes down. Also, drugs and gangs.

I have a few friends in Chicago and am well aware of the situation. When a gunman is acquitted in Chicago based on a highly-questionable claim of self-defense it will have some relevance to the Zimmerman case. In the meantime it's like saying the life of a black kid doesn't matter because of high murder rates in the black community, which is not only a pretty fucked-up sort of calculus in itself but the exact kind of logic that played into GZ not even being arrested for shooting someone that could be made to suggest that profile after the fact. "Oh well, he probably would've died in a drive-by shooting anyway."

because, yes, they are.

If the media could trick people into thinking it was "white" blacks doing the killing maybe you'd care more.

I would like to hear from the Florida members of this board on this subject.  Having spent some time in Florida I am wondering if anybody from there might feel the same way.

http://money.msn.com/now/post--what-calls-to-boycott-florida-after-zimmerman-miss

When the NFLPA was threatened with a lock out and in negotiation they released some significant numbers as to the impact.   When NFL teams want public dollars for facilities they justify it with significant numbers.

So there is some truth in the impact.  

However,  Florida's tourism industry isn't created.   It has natural advantages.  People want to live there.  People want to visit there.   Beaches are nice etc. 

So the ultimate impact is hard to judge.   If Stevie Wonder cancels a show.   I hope he moves it to Paul Brown Stadium.   I think the NFL should remove the Superbowl and NCAA should remove the Orange Bowl from Florida and move them to Paul Brown Stadium.

Somehow, I think Florida has natural advantages to replace those events if that were to happen. 

"Oh well, he probably would've died in a drive-by shooting anyway."

Yeah, I'm not on board with that kind of racist thinking. That type of attitude is the same callous disregard for the value of human life that caused the Holocaust.

Yeah, I'm not on board with that kind of racist thinking. That type of attitude is the same callous disregard for the value of human life that caused the Holocaust.

Which begs the question then, why exactly are some attempting to bring the charcter of a dead kid into question if for no other reason than exactly that?

Which begs the question then, why exactly are some attempting to bring the charcter of a dead kid into question if for no other reason than exactly that?

You don't think it's normal that the character of both victim and defendant comes into question during a  murder trial?

Certainly you haven't lived under a rock.  

Just look at the Hernandez deal.   Already some it going on. 

You don't think it's normal that the character of both victim and defendant comes into question during a  murder trial?

Certainly you haven't lived under a rock.  

Just look at the Hernandez deal.   Already some it going on. 

defendent sure, but I in general have a problem with it regarding the victim

"you know sure he raped her, but look at the way she was dressed...she was asking for it"

yeah, no

I don't think there's an equivalence between calling someone's character into question during a trial and having an attitude that basically dismisses the lives of others as trivial because "they would have been dead from a drive-by shooting anyway."

"They're just Jews, not people...who cares?"

defendent sure, but I in general have a problem with it regarding the victim

"you know sure he raped her, but look at the way she was dressed...she was asking for it"

yeah, no

Strawman.

I'm not asking for your agreement with the practice.    It happens routinely.

People are injecting questions into TM's character to form a justification and a legit reason for that is because the Federal Government is indirectly questioning the defendants character by flirting with a cival trial.

It isn't to justify "oh well all black kids die anyway".

That's an absurd suggestion. 

- as far as your example.   You know for sure he is accused of raping her but later on you find out she was on top talking dirty to him.   Character of the victim and defendant would be important if you are trying to find guilt.  Agree?    Especially if people are disputing the evidence as presented.

I have a few friends in Chicago and am well aware of the situation. When a gunman is acquitted in Chicago based on a highly-questionable claim of self-defense it will have some relevance to the Zimmerman case. In the meantime it's like saying the life of a black kid doesn't matter because of high murder rates in the black community, which is not only a pretty fucked-up sort of calculus in itself but the exact kind of logic that played into GZ not even being arrested for shooting someone that could be made to suggest that profile after the fact. "Oh well, he probably would've died in a drive-by shooting anyway."

Until there's 0% of black on black crime, you darkies can't be concerned about racism.....that's the way it works.  JUST LOOK AT CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!111

Archived