Lack of discipline and game management: The hallmarks of the Marvin Lewis era

Just once I would love for us to go into a game and be able to say we out schemed somebody. Perhaps my frustration with the team in this area has me overstating things.

Eh, the problem really is this:

Mistakes from coaching staff and vet players.

Those things pissed away a win. Which is why they have been in the last week fighting for last seed past two seasons.

Anybody, claiming scheme or game plan is wrong. Bengals consistently ran counter action against Bears fast flowing defense with success.

Bengals dial up AJ Green for TD when Tillman was out of the game gassed.

Bears gave up on run near end of first half.

Cutler's. ability to extend plays burnt them bad. Bad penalties and time outs. Turnovers.

We had the scheme to win.

Mistakes and turnover turn what should have been a comfortable win into a loss. The defense minus one stupid personal foul played well.

I have to give Cutler and his receivers some credit. Two td passes were very well defended but for perfect throws and great catches.

Mistakes and turnover turn what should have been a comfortable win into a loss. The defense minus one stupid personal foul played well.

I have to give Cutler and his receivers some credit. Two td passes were very well defended but for perfect throws and great catches.

I wouldn't go that far.  The Bengals defense didn't force a single punt in the 2nd half.

JBandJoeyV
Today, 08:44 PM
MichaelWeston, on 08 Sept 2013 - 9:42 PM, said:
Just once I would love for us to go into a game and be able to say we out schemed somebody. Perhaps my frustration with the team in this area has me overstating things.

see the giants, raiders games from last year.

Also see Redskins game

I wouldn't go that far.  The Bengals defense didn't force a single punt in the 2nd half.

In the defense's defense, we should recognize that football, like any sport, is a game of emotion and momentum.  The Defense had to lose some of both watching the offense keep doing dumb shit to give the other team ball and position.  It's not an excuse, and as things go on I expect them to overcome these kind of things, but it has to get a little demoralizing.

IIRC, the Bears had something like 100 total yards in the first half.  4 turnovers is just fucking brutal.

For sure.  That's what makes it the more crushing.  The plays they made were simply great football plays, but those come now and then and this case wouldn't have been enough if we didn't help them.

BTW, reading all of GO's bashing of Dalton made me think: Just which franchise QB does GO think we ever had a shot at since 2011?

He brings up Luck a lot but if memory serves me correct we didn't have the first pick.
RGIII, nope didn't have the second pick either.

I guess we could have passed on AJ Green and picked up a real stud like Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbertt, or Christian Ponder.

I don't remember him pounding the table on Kaepernick or Russell Wilson.

So who is this mysterious Franchise QB GO thinks should be on our team?

BTW, reading all of GO's bashing of Dalton made me think: Just which franchise QB does GO think we ever had a shot at since 2011?

He brings up Luck a lot but if memory serves me correct we didn't have the first pick.
RGIII, nope didn't have the second pick either.

I guess we could have passed on AJ Green and picked up a real stud like Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbertt, or Christian Ponder.

I don't remember him pounding the table on Kaepernick or Russell Wilson.

So who is this mysterious Franchise QB GO thinks should be on our team?

Jordan Palmer.

Alley...re: the defense...they were handed a 21-10 lead, rested legs following halftime and a long bengals td drive to start the third quarter, and promptly allowed an answering 80 yard drive. It was extremely disappointing to me, allowed Chicago to re-seize momentum, and had nothing to do with any bengals turnover issues.

Yeah, for me, equally disappointed in the D as I am with Marvin and the coaches. Tack on that they were the unit that bled the timeouts in the fourth and then didnt get the ball back for the offense and that was a really bad day for that unit.

In the defense's defense, we should recognize that football, like any sport, is a game of emotion and momentum.  The Defense had to lose some of both watching the offense keep doing dumb shit to give the other team ball and position.  It's not an excuse, and as things go on I expect them to overcome these kind of things, but it has to get a little demoralizing.

IIRC, the Bears had something like 100 total yards in the first half.  4 turnovers is just fucking brutal.

For sure.  That's what makes it the more crushing.  The plays they made were simply great football plays, but those come now and then and this case wouldn't have been enough if we didn't help them.

sorry, I can't buy that.  the Bengals D gave up TWO 80+ yd touchdown drives in the second half, one of which came after the Bengals offense opened the half with an 80yd, 7+ minute drive.  The Bengals D also allowed a 6:38 minute drive to end the game.  

Also re-watching the game now, and the 3rd and 17 conversion on the Bears first drive was just a killer.  What the heck is Burfict doing covering Brandon Marshall in man coverage to begin with? Why weren't they in a soft zone giving up only an underneath checkdown?  That's the typical 3rd and insanely long defense.  Give up 5-10yds, but put up a wall before the first down marker.

Marvin has had it way too easy. He hasn't improved as a head coach one bit since he got here. It's the same shit every week. He's a good motivator and a good team builder, but once the game starts, he's terrible. As long as he's our head coach it's hard to see us taking the next step.

Vontaze came back in game after INT injury and we burned a TO b/c we had 12 on field Marvin turned and screamed at a guy I didn't recognize. I'll assume he may be with medical staff. I don't think Marvin thought Taz was coming right back in which is why vinny Rey was out there.

Then Taz kept hobbling off/on. He finished game and is a tough son of a bitch. Love his heart.

Yeah I just saw in the other thread that he only missed one snap on D.  Hard t believe since he came off a couple of times.  I just hope he didn't put himself at risk of further injury by not sitting out a bit.  We desperately need him all season....

It was the dreaded 3rd down again, I thought the D played well outside of 3rd down in the 2nd half. On 3rd down it just seemed like Cutler could do whatever the hell he wanted.

frustrating

and outside of one play James Harrison had little impact

Nah.   Harrison forced 2 holding calls on the TE.    Harrison dominated in the run game destroying blocking.

Dunlap and he had quiet good games.        It truly was the kind of effort that has been missed around here for years.   A LB that understands impact can be made without making a tackle.

Nah.   Harrison forced 2 holding calls on the TE.    Harrison dominated in the run game destroying blocking.

Dunlap and he had quiet good games.        It truly was the kind of effort that has been missed around here for years.   A LB that understands impact can be made without making a tackle.

Yep, there was a 3rd and short where Forte ran a pitch left. Harrison destroyed Jermon Bushrod so badly that Forte had to cut outside of Bushrod, allowing Hall to make the tackle for a loss. I think that's the real role for Harrison this year--destroyer in the run game. He can occupy an O-lineman as well or better than a D-lineman, freeing up Rey and Vontaze to go after the ball carrier.

Alley...re: the defense...they were handed a 21-10 lead, rested legs following halftime and a long bengals td drive to start the third quarter, and promptly allowed an answering 80 yard drive. It was extremely disappointing to me, allowed Chicago to re-seize momentum, and had nothing to do with any bengals turnover issues.

Yeah, for me, equally disappointed in the D as I am with Marvin and the coaches. Tack on that they were the unit that bled the timeouts in the fourth and then didnt get the ball back for the offense and that was a really bad day for that unit.

I was simply saying that in a game of emotion, the offense made their job a little bit harder.  I don't disagree that they defense gave up two very long drives (however, you should all note that 17 of Dallas' points came off of turnovers IIRC).

I rewatched the game last night and the dagger play that I thought changed the game and then forgot about jumped out to me again.  It was the play when Cutler rolled to his right and then hit his guy on the sideline who rumbled all alone for 35 yards or so.

That was Adam Jones' fault.  He had that man and then let go of him to rush Cutler.  We were pretty much controlling everything at that point, and then pretty much not controlling anything after. And that was a playing-disciplined-football issue.

Still, the greater point, and the message Marvin always sends, is they have to be willing and able to play the blow-for-blow and keep fighting until the end.  I didn't really see that. I wonder if not having our resident pugilist, Andrew Whitworth, undermined that at all...He should have at least made the flight to talk the talk...

I was simply saying that in a game of emotion, the offense made their job a little bit harder.  I don't disagree that they defense gave up two very long drives (however, you should all note that 17 of Dallas' points came off of turnovers IIRC).

I rewatched the game last night and the dagger play that I thought changed the game and then forgot about jumped out to me again.  It was the play when Cutler rolled to his right and then hit his guy on the sideline who rumbled all alone for 35 yards or so.

That was Adam Jones' fault.  He had that man and then let go of him to rush Cutler.  We were pretty much controlling everything at that point, and then pretty much not controlling anything after. And that was a playing-disciplined-football issue.

Still, the greater point, and the message Marvin always sends, is they have to be willing and able to play the blow-for-blow and keep fighting until the end.  I didn't really see that. I wonder if not having our resident pugilist, Andrew Whitworth, undermined that at all...He should have at least made the flight to talk the talk...

I don't blame Jones for that situation.  He had a no win situation.  He either lets Cutler run free or goes after cutler and tries to get a tipped pass.

The one for me that I think did it was Cutler's 18yd run on 2nd and 20.

I don't blame Jones for that situation.  He had a no win situation.  He either lets Cutler run free or goes after cutler and tries to get a tipped pass.

The one for me that I think did it was Cutler's 18yd run on 2nd and 20.

No. NO. NO!

The rule is ALWAYS the same for a guy defending a receiver: you don't leave your man until the QB has crossed the LOS.  There were several defenders chasing Cutler as well as some guys that would have limited to under a 10 yard scramble.  By leaving his guy, Adam opened up a 30 yard lane for the receiver. 

It's a maxim in football for a reason, and we got to see why.

No. NO. NO!

The rule is ALWAYS the same for a guy defending a receiver: you don't leave your man until the QB has crossed the LOS.  There were several defenders chasing Cutler as well as some guys that would have limited to under a 10 yard scramble.  By leaving his guy, Adam opened up a 30 yard lane for the receiver. 

It's a maxim in football for a reason, and we got to see why.

in zone, man or both?  Seemed Jones was playing zone on the play.

in zone, man or both?  Seemed Jones was playing zone on the play.

Both.  Jones was taking his guy across the zone if he wasn't in man, but even if it was zone - he left his zone.  It's just a rule for a reason.  One more step and Cutler was over the line.  Frankly, it was the kind of thing you see Big Ben doing all of the time. Zimmer's defenses are supposed to be characterized by their discipline, and there was more than one lapse in that department yesterday.

Speaking of which, I'm really worried about "Swag."  He looks a little cancerous to me.  Narcissistic as hell.

Both.  Jones was taking his guy across the zone if he wasn't in man, but even if it was zone - he left his zone.  It's just a rule for a reason.  One more step and Cutler was over the line.  Frankly, it was the kind of thing you see Big Ben doing all of the time. Zimmer's defenses are supposed to be characterized by their discipline, and there was more than one lapse in that department yesterday.

Speaking of which, I'm really worried about "Swag."  He looks a little cancerous to me.  Narcissistic as hell.

That's the freaking horror of it all.    We've played Ben countless times.     

Archived