Lack of discipline and game management: The hallmarks of the Marvin Lewis era

How many times in the past ten years have the Bengals had more talent and outplayed their opponent overall, only to lose due to lack of discipline?  I hoped and believed that eliminating the off-the-field discipline issues would eliminate them on the field, but apparently not.  

I know, Marvin has improved drafting and has gotten better personnel on the roster, and I give him credit for that.  But what good is the talent if you're going to fumble it away with stupidity on the field and from the sidelines.  I can accept a loss, but losses like today's are especially galling and hard to get over.There have been way too many days like today in the past ten years.

Everything had to go just right for the Bears for them to win today's game, and the Bengals saw to it that it did.

How many times in the past ten years have the Bengals had more talent and outplayed their opponent overall, only to lose due to lack of discipline?  I hoped and believed that eliminating the off-the-field discipline issues would eliminate them on the field, but apparently not.  

I know, Marvin has improved drafting and has gotten better personnel on the roster, and I give him credit for that.  But what good is the talent if you're going to fumble it away with stupidity on the field and from the sidelines.  I can accept a loss, but losses like today's are especially galling and hard to get over.There have been way too many days like today in the past ten years.

Everything had to go just right for the Bears for them to win today's game, and the Bengals saw to it that it did.

We had three turnovers, they had none. What's the winning percentage in the league when that occurs?

people can blame Marvin all they want, but it was the 3 turnovers (and they're lucky it wasn't a 4th) by the PLAYERS that lost this game.  2 of the turnovers happened when they would have been in at least FG range, in a game they lost by 3.

1181, how many times have we seem poor clock management and stupid things such as personal fouls and 12 men on the field?

Yes it was the players fault but they aren't well managed and never have been in the Marvin Lewis era.

Granted I do think Marvin has his fair share of strengths but a better coached team wins that game today IMO.

1181, how many times have we seem poor clock management and stupid things such as personal fouls and 12 men on the field?

Yes it was the players fault but they aren't well managed and never have been in the Marvin Lewis era.

Granted I do think Marvin has his fair share of strengths but a better coached team wins that game today IMO.

getting the right guys on the field for the defense is zimmer's job, no?

getting the right guys on the field for the defense is zimmer's job, no?

Somebody messed up... Managing substitutions and counting guys is someone's job, and they fucked up royally.

One of the more undisciplined games of the Marvin era, IMO. 2 personnel penalties, big penalty on a long punt return, 2 personal fouls. You're not giving yourself a chance with that kinda shit.

Gruden calls the plays--I put the poor clock management at the end of the first half squarely on him.

But to be fair, there were so many screw-ups by the Offense, Defense, Special Teams, and Coaching that I'm fucking amazed that we only lost by 3 points!

Somebody messed up... Managing substitutions and counting guys is someone's job, and they fucked up royally.

One of the more undisciplined games of the Marvin era, IMO. 2 personnel penalties, big penalty on a long punt return, 2 personal fouls. You're not giving yourself a chance with that kinda shit.

yea, the buck stops with Marvin, but that doesn't mean he screwed up.

It's like blaming Go for Bung's kid deleting half the member list.

yea, the buck stops with Marvin, but that doesn't mean he screwed up.

It's like blaming Go for Bung's kid deleting half the member list.

Ultimately, it's on Marvin, sure. Whether he delegated the responsibility or not, it obviously didn't get done and he's gotta answer to it.

Gruden calls the plays--I put the poor clock management at the end of the first half squarely on him.

But to be fair, there were so many screw-ups by the Offense, Defense, Special Teams, and Coaching that I'm fucking amazed that we only lost by 3 points!

That's because we have a better team. Games like this will have us on the road in the playoffs if we get there at all.

The fiasco right before half time was absolutely inexcusable.

...as was the penalty that ended the game.  Lack......of.......discipline.......!  We've seen it for years.

damn that marvin lewis. why in the hell does he teach these guys how to give the ball away? that dumbass ain't fit to coach.

:ph34r:

An argument could be made that turnovers are a by-product of lack of discipline, as well.

...as was the penalty that ended the game.  Lack......of.......discipline.......!  We've seen it for years.

An argument could be made that turnovers are a by-product of lack of discipline, as well.

Turnovers talked all week.

Really though the Sanu fumble is the only one that points to bad coaching. The rest were bad plays.

Archived