The good, the bad, and the ugly - Lions

Most people will admit it. If you get your QB in the second round, then he has some flaws coming out of college. But if you are operating a WCO, the deep ball isn't your bread-and-butter. Kaepernick has a very strong arm, but it's common knowledge that if the Bengals hadn't taken Dalton the 49ers would have. Dalton has some flaws, like all but a couple of NFL QBs. Big fucking deal.

I agree most can admit it, its the one or two guys who are belligerent in pretending Dalton doesn't have this flaw that just make me SMH

I agree most can admit it, its the one or two guys who are belligerent in pretending Dalton doesn't have this flaw that just make me SMH

I breathlessly await the posts where you point out the flaw of the other 52 players, repeatedly, on a week to week basis for three years.

Get cracking.

I don't see anyone saying its not a flaw, but rather some pointing it out that even the best only hit on about 35-45% of them over the course of the year.

Its a bigger issue here because Green is awesome and open for 5-6 of them a game.

Yeah I'd be curious who you are referring to. If you are referring to me you'd be wrong. I don't doubt he has issues with the deep ball. What I'll argue is how big an issue it actually is.

I breathlessly await the posts where you point out the flaw of the other 52 players, repeatedly, on a week to week basis for three years.

Get cracking.

You can start at the top of this thread. ;)

or go read the game day thread where I said multiple times the Dline wasn't getting to the QB

So now that we established that, its your turn, admit he doesn't have the arm for the deep ball

I don't see anyone saying its not a flaw, but rather some pointing it out that even the best only hit on about 35-45% of them over the course of the year.

Its a bigger issue here because Green is awesome and open for 5-6 of them a game.

Oldcat is belligerent in it.

But yes I agree, Green being as awesome as he is make this missing peace of Daltons game frustrating at times.

fair enough

I do understand his frustration though that after a game where your qb puts up a qb rating of 136 some people (not you) can only focus on one or two passes he missed instead of all the great things he did. I think that causes certain posters to want to rush to his defense. But yes his deep ball hasn't been great. If he can improve on it though watch out.

Oldcat is belligerent in it.

But yes I agree, Green being as awesome as he is make this missing peace of Daltons game frustrating at times.

I don't think you can find a single quote by me saying that Dalton has awesome arm strength.

I am belligerent at protesting at the unfair, unreasonable and often inaccurate - yet constant - attacks on AD going back to before his first preseason games.

I wish we could get to the point that we are making reasonable arguments about the fine points of his overall game.  I am not holding my breath.

I do understand his frustration though that after a game where your qb puts up a qb rating of 136 some people (not you) can only focus on one or two passes he missed instead of all the great things he did. I think that causes certain posters to want to rush to his defense. But yes his deep ball hasn't been great. If he can improve on it though watch out.

I agree IF, im just not sure it will ever be there honestly.

I don't think you can find a single quote by me saying that Dalton has awesome arm strength.

I am belligerent at protesting at the unfair, unreasonable and often inaccurate - yet constant - attacks on AD going back to before his first preseason games.

I wish we could get to the point that we are making reasonable arguments about the fine points of his overall game.  I am not holding my breath.

I don't think it is unfair or inaccurate at all to say Dalton doesn't have the deep ball, he under threw two today and even AJ's TD AJ had to come back to get. Hell AJ got a penalty because he had to come back on a ball to fight for it that was underthrown. And yet when folks say so you make a point of going after those posts, so when YOU are ready to make reasonable arguments about his overall game let me know.

He had a hell of a game in the short and medium passes, but there were plays left of the field today that could have made this not that close, even with the pretty bad day the D had and that is frustrating, for both the reasons of the D being bad and Dalton could have doing more despite how well he did play.

You guys and your refusal to admit Dalton doesn't have a good deep ball is embarrassing. We can win without it as we did today, and we can and will scheme around it, but good lord just stop.

You guys and your refusal to admit Dalton is a very good QB is embarrassing.

I don't think it is unfair or inaccurate at all to say Dalton doesn't have the deep ball, he under threw two today and even AJ's TD AJ had to come back to get. Hell AJ got a penalty because he had to come back on a ball to fight for it that was underthrown. And yet when folks say so you make a point of going after those posts, so when YOU are ready to make reasonable arguments about his overall game let me know.

He had a hell of a game in the short and medium passes, but there were plays left of the field today that could have made this not that close, even with the pretty bad day the D had and that is frustrating, for both the reasons of the D being bad and Dalton could have doing more despite how well he did play.

Was that pass underthrown because of arm strength, or because he didn't want to lose a completion and put air under it because Green was so wide open?  What are his deep ball stats relative to other QBs?  Is this relevant if you can get first downs other ways?  How big a part is a pretty deep pass in our Offensive Coordinator's game plan?  What about the 35-40 yard pass to Eifert that was dead on?  Did he use a different arm?

The coaches on the team you root for have a different idea about his relative abilities and the need for them than you do, apparently, since the use Dalton and praise him to the skies.

The jump from Dalton's arm isn't the strongest in the league to Dalton must be replaced because he his hurting the team relative to some imaginary QB is a long one that I won't let you make without protest.

You guys and your refusal to admit Dalton is a very good QB is embarrassing

Dalton is an above average QB that doesn't have a very good deep ball, he's not elite and I'm not sure he ever will be.

The good news is I don't know that he has to be either.

THAT is the truth of the matter.

To paraphrase what the kids say these days... No Homer

Was that pass underthrown because of arm strength, or because he didn't want to lose a completion and put air under it because Green was so wide open?  What are his deep ball stats relative to other QBs?  Is this relevant if you can get first downs other ways?  How big a part is a pretty deep pass in our Offensive Coordinator's game plan?  What about the 35-40 yard pass to Eifert that was dead on?  Did he use a different arm?

The coaches on the team you root for have a different idea about his relative abilities and the need for them than you do, apparently, since the use Dalton and praise him to the skies.

The jump from Dalton's arm isn't the strongest in the league to Dalton must be replaced because he his hurting the team relative to some imaginary QB is a long one that I won't let you make without protest.

I stopped reading (honestly) after the first question because that is the stupidest thing Ive ever read.

I just feel like some people expect him to be perfect. This post kinda feels that way. Every qb missed passes. His misses today were no worse than what a majority of qbs in the nfl miss every Sunday.

Does that mean he doesn't have weaknesses? Of course not. Are his weaknesses as big a deal as a lot of people think? I don't think so. Doesn't mean he doesn't have them though.

I just feel like some people expect him to be perfect. This post kinda feels that way. Every qb missed passes. His misses today were no worse than what a majority of qbs in the nfl miss every Sunday.

Does that mean he doesn't have weaknesses? Of course not. Are his weaknesses as big a deal as a lot of people think? I don't think so. Doesn't mean he doesn't have them though.

Perfect? No. Being able to hit AJ in stride on those throws where AJ is wide open and Andy has all the time in the world and fairly clean pocket though would be nice.

Good deep ball =/= Good QB.

There, are we all happy now?

He game manages very well. He wins, which is all that matters. Sure the AJ TD was underthrown and it looked like he threw as hard as he could. But the NFL is littered with cannon-armed QBs who were failures, and with game managing ones who won stuff.

The people who believe his arm strength negates any good qualities are mad. And the people who can't see that we could be blowing teams out if he could laser it are also mad. Just less so, because W's are what matter.

Archived