Reds sign 6 year extension with Homer Bailey

oldschooler

I guess my other concern is whether or not Homer has earned a 6/100 deal yet? 

Don't get me wrong, I am a big HB fan, and I think he has the talent, but he has not PRODUCED like that consistently yet.  It's a gamble.  Hopefully it doesn't bite them in the wallet.

Definitely a surprise, I thought Homer had one foot out the door. He has the stuff to become a truly dominant pitcher, just needs to put it all together.

If this means the writing on the wall for anyone, it may be Mike Leake. 

I disagree.  I think Leake will come a lot cheaper than Latos or Cueto when they are up. And I think Latos is sooner.

Stephenson may be ready next year too.

Not sure $100M contract for Bailey is in the teams best interest especially with Latos and Cueto due up soon.

From the contracts of the starting pitchers, it seems like they have this year and next to make a run.

If Bailey signs this deal I don't see how you retain both Latos and Cueto after their current deals expire.

Stephenson may be ready next year too.

Not sure $100M contract for Bailey is in the teams best interest especially with Latos and Cueto due up soon.

From the contracts of the starting pitchers, it seems like they have this year and next to make a run.

If Bailey signs this deal I don't see how you retain both Latos and Cueto after their current deals expire.

He will need to be soon.

If true, I'd be surprised if they could keep latos long term, but I guess we'd have two years to figure it out.

2 years of a rotation with bailey cueto latos leake and cingrani is good. If a few of our bats come around we could have a good shot both years. And if the pitching stays healthy.

Stephenson will likely have to replace latos or cueto at some point next year or the year after. Hopefully we could keep 2 of the 3 of leake latos and cueto but might be tough.

I still think they keep Latos with Cueto the odd man out. Similar to the Bengals, I think they've had money set aside earmarked for Bailey and Latos which is why we've heard so much about them being cash strapped for FA's.

You can argue about it being a good deal for the Reds or not, but strictly speaking to the contract I think it's on the very low end of what Bailey would command on the open market. 

It's crazy how much money baseball players "especially pitchers" get these days.

Hell..... an average pitcher gets 10+ million a year now.

AJ Burnett  1yr-16m

Ubaldo Jimenez = 4yrs-50m

Hiroki Kuroda 1yr-16m

Wandy Rodriguez 1yr-13m

and Tim Lincecum has been less than average the last 2-3 years and didn't he get like 35m for 2 years....

Homer has increased his innings pitched and strikeouts each of the last four years and has lowered his era all 4 as well. If he keeps that up he is definitely an all star caliber pitcher. You can't let home grown all stat caliber starters walk.

With that being said we now have a ton of money locked in to bailey, votto, Bruce and Phillips. I just don't know how we are gonna be able to afford latos unless we get to the 120-125 mil range for pay roll.

I am a big fan of Homer Bailey. But that is a BIG gamble on a guy who has not been consistent yet. Especially for a small market team. If we had the Yankees' money, it's no big deal. But we don't. Plus we have Votto and Phillips.

He has the talent to be that good, will he start reaching it regularly is the question.

I'd hate to not be able to keep Latos or Cueto and Bailey keeps pitching as up and down as he has the past 2 years.

Archived