Backup QB Options Hitting Free Agency

With backup quarterback Josh Johnson entering free agency next month, the Cincinnati Bengals will have to figure out what they want to do at quarterback. Since Johnson only took part in 15 snaps in 2013, with none resulting in an attempted pass, and since Johnson was a Jay Gruden guy (spent time together in Tampa Bay), we don't see Johnson coming back.

That leaves two options.

Free agency and the NFL draft.

If the Bengals go the free agency route, their options are limited.

Michael Vick: One report has already said that the Bengals aren't interested. So that's that.

Josh McCown: McCown, who turns 35 this July, is reportedly looking for a multi-year deal and, according to the Chicago Tribune, has an "overwhelming desire" to return with the Chicago Bears. Due to an assortment of injuries with Jay Cutler, McCown played eight games, completing 66.5 percent of his passes for 1,829 yards with 13 touchdowns and one interception. The New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have also been rumored as having interest.

Matt Cassel: The veteran quarterback opted out of his contract in Minnesota, leaving $3.7 million on the table -- which makes you think that he's looking for more money. Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said that they're interested in bringing Cassel back.

Josh Freeman: Really, who wants him? An odd 2013 season caused Freeman to lose his starting job in Tampa Bay, eventually being traded to Minnesota where he was reportedly late to "numerous meetings". Freeman started a Monday Night game against the New York Giants, but looked confused in the 23-7 loss. He didn't play another game. The Oakland Raiders are reportedly interested in Freeman, which should tell you all that you need about him.

Chad Henne: Played 15 games in 2013 with the Jacksonville Jaguars, completing 60.6 percent of his passes for 3,241 yards, 13 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. All indications are that the Jaguars will bring Henne back in 2014 where he could theoretically mentor a quarterback if Jacksonville uses their No. 3 selection on a passer.

Tarvaris Jackson: According to reports, Jackson and the Seattle Seahawks have a mutual interest in a new deal. Jackson, who was Russell Wilson's backup in 2013, completed only 10 of 13 passes with 151 yards passing and a touchdown.

Other options:

Matt Flynn
Colt McCoy
Shaun Hill
Kellen Clemens
Luke McCown
Derek Anderson
David Garrard
Dan Orlovsky
Rex Grossman
Curtis Painter
Jimmy Clausen
Charlie Whitehurst
Brady Quinn

http://www.cincyjungle.com/nfl-free-agency-2014/2014/3/2/5462370/2014-free-agents-limited-backup-quarterback-options

Colt McCoy, Derrick Anderson and Brady Quinn are all permanently scarred for like after playing for Cleveland.

If you are looking for a vet with real playing experience I think Grossman makes the most sense although he is what he is.  

Cassel is better but wants REAL money and to compete for the  starter spot which I guess is good or bad depending on which side of the Andy fence you are on.

It's not a bad group. We should bring in someone with a couple of years starting experience. Dalton doesn't need a mentor but Dalton's replacement might, depending on how well AD plays in 2014. So a 2 or 3 year deal makes sense. Since Andy is making peanuts we can afford to pay for a good quality backup. 

It's not a bad group. We should bring in someone with a couple of years starting experience. Dalton doesn't need a mentor but Dalton's replacement might, depending on how well AD plays in 2014. So a 2 or 3 year deal makes sense. Since Andy is making peanuts we can afford to pay for a good quality backup. 

The problem with that being Dalton only makes peanuts for this year. He's going to get a big raise next year even if the Bengals dump him, and it'll be more than any of these guys will make. Besides that, none of the legit options are going to play on a one-year deal when they know they won't be starting. 

IMO best case scenario is they get their guy in the 3rd-4th round of the draft.

Come on, Weston.  Why do you feel the need to introduce facts into a Cincy Jungle article? 

:ninja:

Josh Johnson isn't a free agent.

Give it  a couple of days.   He will be soon.

I think Ryan Fitzpatrick probably gets cut. He would be a nice fit here. Jason Campbell makes sense too with his fit with Hue. I think he is less likely to be released. I have always thought Colt McCoy was pretty good and he is still pretty young. 

I would love Vick but he might be the starter in the NYJ. 

I also like Chad Henne as well. 

I think this backup group is actually pretty good. 

I think Ryan Fitzpatrick probably gets cut. He would be a nice fit here. Jason Campbell makes sense too with his fit with Hue. I think he is less likely to be released. I have always thought Colt McCoy was pretty good and he is still pretty young. 

This would be my choice.

Exactly.

I think it is wishful thinking that a franchise QB or close would be a free agent.  Cassel and Campbell are probably the closest in that regards as both have played well in some places and have experience.  People seem to forget Campbell was 11-7 with an Oakland team that really lacked depth and talent.

Cassel was 3-3 last year at Minn on a team that won only 4 games and had a horrible defense.

Both are very sound backups and would win you some games (on a good team) if called upon which is what a backup is for.

Tyrelle Pryor would be an interesting candidate, if Hue can develop him I think he has some great physical tools to work with. I seriously doubt the FO brings in anyone to compete with Andy for the starting role, they are going make him the franchise QB around here for a long time. 

I wouldn't have a problem with him.  He brings a different dimension to the game.  Keep in mind Pryor was 3-6 as a starter last year at Oakland...here are the weapons he had at his disposal in order of yards:

Rod Streeter #1 WR: Undrafted FA

Denarius Moore #2 WR: 5th round

Andre Holmes #3 WR: Undrafted FA

Mychal Rivera #1 TE: Rookie 6th round pick.

Marcel Reece  FB: Undrafted FA.

I wouldn't have a problem with him.  He brings a different dimension to the game.  Keep in mind Pryor was 3-6 as a starter last year at Oakland...here are the weapons he had at his disposal in order of yards:

Rod Streeter #1 WR: Undrafted FA

Denarius Moore #2 WR: 5th round

Andre Holmes #3 WR: Undrafted FA

Mychal Rivera #1 TE: Rookie 6th round pick.

Marcel Reece  FB: Undrafted FA.

I think with some quality coaching Pryor could be a good NFL QB and like you pointed out he had no one to throw the ball to in Oakland still manage to lead them to 3 victories. It seems as if Dennis Allen doesn't like him for whatever reason so I wouldn't be surprised if he was released. 

Pryor is a make one read then tuck and run QB. He would not fit in our offense. 

Have you seen their offensive line?  Both guards were undrafted.  Right Tackle is a 5th rounder. One TE is an UDFA the other a 6th round rookie.

They have 2 ok players, their center and left tackle both selected in the second round. 

The team was horrible.

Have you seen their offensive line?  Both guards were undrafted.  Right Tackle is a 5th rounder. One TE is an UDFA the other a 6th round rookie.

They have 2 ok players, their center and left tackle both selected in the second round. 

The team was horrible.

Pryor was the most talented QB on the Raiders roster last year, they just didn't give anything to work with as far as protection and play makers are concerned.

Archived