Jeremy Hill - Notes From camp today..

Hill was a beast at LSU.  Way faster than you think at that size with good moves and he will make safties wince at the thought of tackling him in the open field.  Hits the hole hard and fast.

Had some off field issues, one a bar fight which I don't get too worked up about but the other a sexual assault charge.  Has been a model citizen for awhile so hopefully that is all behind him.

He is very similar to Corey Dillon.   I think just judging by college highlights,  Hill will be better on goaline than Dillon.

Dillon was a slasher and Hill looks to have almost identical style.     Dillon wasn't physical with his body whereas Hill looks like he'll drop his head and shoulders to take on tacklers more.

Dillon had a nasty stiff arm but would contort his body to wiggle past tacklers when he could vs. lowering his body to be a battering ram.

He is very similar to Corey Dillon.   I think just judging by college highlights,  Hill will be better on goaline than Dillon.

Dillon was a slasher and Hill looks to have almost identical style.     Dillon wasn't physical with his body whereas Hill looks like he'll drop his head and shoulders to take on tacklers more.

Dillon had a nasty stiff arm but would contort his body to wiggle past tacklers when he could vs. lowering his body to be a battering ram.

I agree but to be fair, it's hard to be good at goal line when you run the same stretch play over and over and you have to hurdle offensive lineman being bowled at your feet like a game of Donkey Kong just to get back to the line of scrimage.

My memory and this highlight video beg to differ. 

http://youtu.be/tzD_7X2eK4o

lol, the first few runs are exactly what  I was saying.      If you watch video of Hill in college he looks more willing to lower his body to take on tacklers than Dillon was.

Anyone that has the ability to go around someone will choose to do that first. That doesn't mean he wasn't able or willing to run over people, because he did plenty of that.

Runners that take on every tackler don't last too long. 

Anyone that has the ability to go around someone will choose to do that first. That doesn't mean he wasn't able or willing to run over people, because he did plenty of that.

Runners that take on every tackler don't last too long. 

see Earl Campbell.

Rudi may have been relatively slow but he absolutely punished defenses.   Chad & that offense in general wouldn't have been what it was without Rudi beating the crap out of the safeties all day.

Hill is supposed to be a "physical" runner - the NFL's recent bubble-wrapped code word for hard-hitting or general asskicking. "Physical defense" and all that noise. I'm sure they'll come up with something even more marshmallow-y soon enough.

Anyway, Hill's "nonthreatening toughness" won't be on display until they are in pads, but it's good that he's standing out in drills as a rookie.

Ah yes...the pads. The Holy sacred pads. 

When they begin meat-grinding each other, leading to the annual loss of personnel before they actually play a game of any meaning. Leading to the annual wailing and gnashing of teeth that we don't have said personnel when it matters. Wash, rinse, repeat for the equally useless pre-season games.

Other than primeval lust for violent contact anywhere/anytime, can anyone really say that pad/live tackling has more benefit than downside? I played the game, and have been around it, still not seeing the overall benefits.   

When they begin meat-grinding each other, leading to the annual loss of personnel before they actually play a game of any meaning. Leading to the annual wailing and gnashing of teeth that we don't have said personnel when it matters. Wash, rinse, repeat for the equally useless pre-season games.

Other than primeval lust for violent contact anywhere/anytime, can anyone really say that pad/live tackling has more benefit than downside? I played the game, and have been around it, still not seeing the overall benefits.   

Well it's kind of hard to evaluate a RB's ability to absorb contact and break tackles if there's no contact or tackling, don't ya think?

Well it's kind of hard to evaluate a RB's ability to absorb contact and break tackles if there's no contact or tackling, don't ya think?

Just ask Gio from last year with Vontaze. Poor kid tried to make a cut and got blown up by Burfict, haha.

One can see this from a season of SEC games, wot?

Don't mind me...this is my annual pet peeve with the NFL, mostly with exhibition games than just practices. You just know there will be a lot of broken bodies, given in meaningless glorified practice games. And it is generally useless.  

Prior to the emphasis and revamped rules for head shots etc that most blame on the concussion law suit,  tackling in fact morphed into more launching vs.  running through a ball carrier.     I think that's easy to tell in comparing periods of football.

In addition the NFL implemented a horse collar rule that was the result of bad positioning. 

I do think the reduction of contact practices has had a negative effect on the game because defenders adjusted into bad habits as they lost skills to get into position, wrap up and drive through a ball carrier.

Please don't take this as no one in the 70s/80s ever launched themselves.   I believe that technique became more frequent about the sametime the salary cap was introduced and teams started reducing contact practices. 

One can see this from a season of SEC games, wot?

Don't mind me...this is my annual pet peeve with the NFL, mostly with exhibition games than just practices. You just know there will be a lot of broken bodies, given in meaningless glorified practice games. And it is generally useless.  

SEC is decent but doesn't really compare to NFL defenses.  Definitely see your point re: the preseason games, but I figure the starters probably don't play more than 60 minutes total between the 4 of them.  Plus, if someone's going to get injured it might be better if it happens before they set the final roster.

My memory and this highlight video beg to differ. 

http://youtu.be/tzD_7X2eK4o

Not to take anything away from what Dillon did as a Bengal... b/c he was literally the ONLY weapon for quite a while during his tenure... but watching that highlight reel reminded me... that team really did a nice job of blocking down field.

SEC is decent but doesn't really compare to NFL defenses.  Definitely see your point re: the preseason games, but I figure the starters probably don't play more than 60 minutes total between the 4 of them.  Plus, if someone's going to get injured it might be better if it happens before they set the final roster.

The SEC normally is closer than anything else though.

Thu., July 24 3:00 p.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Gates open at 2:30 p.m.

Fri., July 25 3:00 p.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Sat., July 26 3:00 p.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Sun., July 27 3:00 p.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Mon., July 28 3:00 p.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Wed., July 30 3:00 p.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Thu., July 31 3:00 p.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Fri., Aug. 1 6:00 p.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Gates open at 5:30 p.m.

Sat., Aug. 2 1:30 p.m. "FAMILY DAY" INSIDE PBS

Gates open at 12:30 p.m.

Mon., Aug. 4 3:00 p.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Tue, Aug. 5 11:15 a.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Gates open at 10:45 a.m.

Sat., Aug. 9 3:00 p.m. "FAMILY DAY" INSIDE PBS

Gates open at 2:00 p.m.

Mon., Aug. 11 3:00 p.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Tue., Aug. 12 3:00 p.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Wed., Aug. 13 3:00 p.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Thu., Aug. 14 11:15 a.m. PRACTICE FIELD

Gates open at 10:45 a.m.

Hell yeah. I appreciate it, brother. May just be able to make next Friday's practice. :)

Archived