WLWT Video: Remember the Bengals' Super Bowl XXIII game

One thing I remember about Jennings' return was that, after the play, he was on the sidelines and they put a camera on him.  He turned to the camera and said something to the effect of "That was for Kelsey."  Kelsey was his newborn daughter.

I'm not going to watch that video because it's still painful after all these years.  I remember trying to let it sink in that my Cincinnati Bengals were going to be Super Bowl champions.  And then...

It's still a great sports memory in this town.     I've long given up to ever relive the hype the Bengals had during that season.    Of course the height of the hype was Superbowl week but it really started after going 3-0 and bult up through the whole fall that year. 

I still think it's incredible what that team almost did.   Back then the NFC was a bully.    The AFC was dominated by Browns/Broncos then eventually the Bills.     Now given the market size Cincinnati would probably be overlooked but that group would have won Superbowl 23 it could be argued to be among the best singular season teams of all time.

49ers had won Superbowls twice already.   Were the league's best in 1987 (got upset in playoffs)  Would win it in 1989 again.   Were a bad call and injury away from winning another NFC Championship in 1990.  The 9ers were the best of a great bunch of NFC teams at the time.   Monster of the Midway Bears,  Skins, LT and the Giants.

Then AFC was Browns/Broncos.   Those two teams would meet in the Conference Championship  86, 87, and 89.   Denver winning all 3 and getting blown out in all 3 Superbowls.    Then Buffalo Bills would win 4 straight.    Buffalo would get blown out in 3 of the 4 Superbowls it played in.    The 88 Bengals were so close to getting the AFC back on top.   

That Superbowl is still considered among the best.   Montana's 92 yard drive to win it was a incredible feat ever for a guy that many consider the best of all time. 

It was crazy how quickly the window shut for that group of Bengals.   Almost immediately injury and decline in performance started to take a toll on the team.

Yep, the '88 Bengals were certainly one of the best AFC teams of the 1980s.

That team actually started 6-0 and then lost to the 2-4 Patriots in Foxboro.  I'll never forget Irving Fryar, who had caught maybe one ball all day, dancing around and waving a towel on the sidelines after it was apparent they were going to win.  I never cared for him after that.

I had the entire XXIII game on VHS until several years ago.  I had dug up a bunch of old tapes when DVD recorders first came out, and was copying stuff over to DVD format.  That tape had been left in the VCR and somehow about an hour of it got recorded over before I got it to DVD.  I considered it poetic justice and threw it in the trash.  I hadn't watched it since '88 and really doubt I would have ever watched it again.  I've heard some Bengals players say they'll never watch it.  It's a shame that one of the brightest seasons and biggest moments in the history of Cincinnati sports turned into such a sour memory for so many.

I was there. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. But I have rarely experienced an event quite like it.

As was I. A relatively new Joe Robbie Stadium. Billy Joel. 22 yrs old. My ticket is in the basement along with my SB 23 game ball. Most don't remember the rain all night on Sat night and Sunday morning.

The Overtown riots. Stanley Wilson's drug relapse, Boomer had a bad shoulder, Joe Walter was out (knee), lost Krumrie early. Lewis Billups dropped interception w/about 9-10 minutes remaining. Rice and his fake pre game injury.

It was crazy how quickly the window shut for that group of Bengals.   Almost immediately injury and decline in performance started to take a toll on the team.

The birth of Plan B free agency and the lose of Montoya to Oakland.

Damn.. I'll never forget that game.. I was in high school and was the cockiest fucker ever..

All of my dick friends liked the stealers, cowboys, broncos and stains.. I bet everyone that wanted too..

I lost $200 on that shit...and was working at McDonalds..

I remember that seeming like all of the money in the world and not caring about the money at all..

Sad day in mudville...

Yep, the '88 Bengals were certainly one of the best AFC teams of the 1980s.

That team actually started 6-0 and then lost to the 2-4 Patriots in Foxboro.  I'll never forget Irving Fryar, who had caught maybe one ball all day, dancing around and waving a towel on the sidelines after it was apparent they were going to win.  I never cared for him after that.

I had the entire XXIII game on VHS until several years ago.  I had dug up a bunch of old tapes when DVD recorders first came out, and was copying stuff over to DVD format.  That tape had been left in the VCR and somehow about an hour of it got recorded over before I got it to DVD.  I considered it poetic justice and threw it in the trash.  I hadn't watched it since '88 and really doubt I would have ever watched it again.  I've heard some Bengals players say they'll never watch it.  It's a shame that one of the brightest seasons and biggest moments in the history of Cincinnati sports turned into such a sour memory for so many.

Funny how that loss was such big deal to me as I was only 13 and born and raised in LA. The only access I had to Bengals info was the occasional blurb in Sports Illustrated (we didn't have cable) and I was seriously thinking we'd go undefeated (I think this every year actually). I've hated the Patridiots ever since but never as much as the 49ers for ruining my season, twice.

Archived