I am not opposed to simply keeping Whit and Andre under contract, pending neither break the bank. The two rookie tackles will have very cap friendly deals, and no one knows if either will be successful in the NFL. In addition, tackles are a premium in the NFL, so re-signing the two vets gives the Bengals some serious trade options. Heck, maybe even trading one of the youngsters, if they can get the right deal.

That said, I believe everyoneon the offense should be on notice if the OT's need to be concerned for their jobs. I would not be opposed to the same o-line in 2016, with the rookies getting increased snaps at tackle and guard. This results in a very fresh o-line and decreased wear as the season goes on, thus improving the odds of success in the post season.

Almost like having multiple backs, with increased spelling to keep them fresh for the playoff run, but with regard to the o-line. The Bengals already employ a heavy rotation on the d-line for similar reasons, so why not consider extending it to the o-line if the talent is there?

Can Whit play C?

The Boling re-sign remains the big stinker of the off-season for me.  Granted, they got him at a decent deal compared to the UFA market, but 5M/year for Guard seems like one of the perfect spots to save $$ and get younger/plan for the future. 

I wonder how quickly he could be cut/traded if we wanted to. It is a friendly deal and he seems to be a good chemistry fit. You can never have enough linemen. 

I think Fisher should learn the Center spot as well. I agree with Jason that Boling is a better Guard than Center. We like his athleticism at the spot to pull and he isn't the strongest guy on the line by far which is something we look for in our Centers. We also don't like a lot of changes so I can't see having a new LT and RT in Ogbuehi and Fisher along with Whitworth moved to Guard and Boling to Center as some have suggested. That would be changing 4 out of 5 spots for a pretty solid line as is right now. Whitworth should be re-signed because he is still playing at an elite level along with being our team leader. I think Andre is playing elsewhere next year mainly because we will have cheaper replacements that should provide comparable play. Ogbuehi played better at Right Tackle in college so I see no reason he shouldn't start out there for us as well. My starting five going into next season would probably be...

LT - Whitworth

LG - Boling

C- Fisher (if he can play it) or Bodine

RG - Zeitler

RT - Ogbuehi or Fisher if he can't play Center

lol, complete sense.      First wasn't Hue around when Bodine was drafted?   Second if Boling is the matching Center for his style then why the hell would they wait for him to play it in 2016?

Center is a more important position to fill than LG.  

Hue was around when Bodine was drafted. Even though I don't think Bodine is spectacular at all, the one thing that he did well on film coming out of college was pull from the Center position. Something I hadn't seen very often but he seemed to do pretty good at so that may have been the start of the Offensive Line overhaul for all we know. He just gets pushed back too much in pass protection for my liking. He has tons of upper body strength as evidenced by his bench #s at the combine last year, but seems to lack the strength and power in his legs or has technique problems one.

I think Fisher should learn the Center spot as well. I agree with Jason that Boling is a better Guard than Center. We like his athleticism at the spot to pull and he isn't the strongest guy on the line by far which is something we look for in our Centers. We also don't like a lot of changes so I can't see having a new LT and RT in Ogbuehi and Fisher along with Whitworth moved to Guard and Boling to Center as some have suggested. That would be changing 4 out of 5 spots for a pretty solid line as is right now. Whitworth should be re-signed because he is still playing at an elite level along with being our team leader. I think Andre is playing elsewhere next year mainly because we will have cheaper replacements that should provide comparable play. Ogbuehi played better at Right Tackle in college so I see no reason he shouldn't start out there for us as well. My starting five going into next season would probably be...

LT - Whitworth

LG - Boling

C- Fisher (if he can play it) or Bodine

RG - Zeitler

RT - Ogbuehi or Fisher if he can't play Center

I think because of Ogbuehi's athleticism, he's the ideal LT of the future.  You kick Whit inside and have Fisher on the right side.

2015:

Same as last year with Fisher being the first man off of the bench.  They say Ogbuehi may be PUP'ed, it may be smart to IR him to save a roster spot this year and make sure his knee and back are 100% going into next year.

2016:

LT - Ogbuehi

LG - Whit

C - Boling/Bodine

RG - Z

RT - Fisher

Hue was around when Bodine was drafted. Even though I don't think Bodine is spectacular at all, the one thing that he did well on film coming out of college was pull from the Center position. Something I hadn't seen very often but he seemed to do pretty good at so that may have been the start of the Offensive Line overhaul for all we know. He just gets pushed back too much in pass protection for my liking. He has tons of upper body strength as evidenced by his bench #s at the combine last year, but seems to lack the strength and power in his legs or has technique problems one.

We can believe all of the post-draft PR from last year about Bodine being their guy, but we'd also do well to remember that center was a major need for them and just after a C was traded we traded up to take Bodine.  Yeah, yeah, Marvin said he was the kind of guy he wanted on this team.  But...

a) since when has Marvin ever told the whole truth in these situations?

b ) is he the guy Hue wanted?

Hue clearly prefers an athletic O-line to get his misdirection and screen game going.  Bodine is plain bad in space. I really hope an NFL off-season of flexibility and agility training improves upon that, but I don't have my hopes up. 

Now he improved markedly over the season, so there is some hope, but I also wouldn't peg my hopes for the center of the future on a 4th round pick, because we've shown in the past we can move on from those guys pretty fast (Luigs? Gucheck?)

We can believe all of the post-draft PR from last year about Bodine being their guy, but we'd also do well to remember that center was a major need for them and just after a C was traded we traded up to take Bodine.  Yeah, yeah, Marvin said he was the kind of guy he wanted on this team.  But...

a) since when has Marvin ever told the whole truth in these situations?

b ) is he the guy Hue wanted?

Hue clearly prefers an athletic O-line to get his misdirection and screen game going.  Bodine is plain bad in space. I really hope an NFL off-season of flexibility and agility training improves upon that, but I don't have my hopes up. 

Now he improved markedly over the season, so there is some hope, but I also wouldn't peg my hopes for the center of the future on a 4th round pick, because we've shown in the past we can move on from those guys pretty fast (Luigs? Gucheck?)

The one thing that would suggest he really is their guy is that they traded up for him.  How often do the Bengals trade up?

Not to say he can't get beat out, but my guess is he at least gets another full shot this season.

The one thing that would suggest he really is their guy is that they traded up for him.  How often do the Bengals trade up?

Not to say he can't get beat out, but my guess is he at least gets another full shot this season.

My point was that they had NO ONE to play center last year, and once the third rated Center went off the board, they literally had no choice but to trade to get Bodine.  I saw it less as a love-based move than a fear-based one - which necessarily makes me question the love.

That's why I kinda laughed at the "complete sense" deal.   IMO, none of it is "complete sense". 

It will ultimately settle a year from now at the best 5.   The exercise we are doing now is the shuffle game to keep Whit on the line or at LT.   

The more interesting exercise will be speculation on any early departures for this year.  

I agree the Boling contract was a head scratcher in light of the direction they went in the draft. They clearly planned to take OL although taking two Tackles may not have been planned beforehand but rather was BPA.

My guess is Ogbuehi will ultimately go to RT and Fisher to LT. This also allows Whit to stick around by going to LG when he can't do LT anymore and Boling goes to C.

I agree the Boling contract was a head scratcher in light of the direction they went in the draft. They clearly planned to take OL although taking two Tackles may not have been planned beforehand but rather was BPA.

My guess is Ogbuehi will ultimately go to RT and Fisher to LT. This also allows Whit to stick around by going to LG when he can't do LT anymore and Boling goes to C.

I've heard this from a few people now, that Ogbuehi @ RT and Fisher @ LT, but Obguehi is a prototypical LT and I think the plan is to keep him there.  Fisher played 3 years as a RT at Oregon so even though he doesn't have the typical (especially Bengals) RT measurables, I would imagine that will be his position in the pros as well.

Could be wrong of course.  

I've heard this from a few people now, that Ogbuehi @ RT and Fisher @ LT, but Obguehi is a prototypical LT and I think the plan is to keep him there.  Fisher played 3 years as a RT at Oregon so even though he doesn't have the typical (especially Bengals) RT measurables, I would imagine that will be his position in the pros as well.

Could be wrong of course.  

I think you're right. Ogbuehi's length and athleticism is pretty special. He had Paul Alexander comparing him to guys like Jonathan Ogden at the post draft press conference. The term "dancing bear" gets thrown around sometimes and he's one of the few guys where it actually kind of fits. He has the prototypical LT frame, athleticism, feet, etc. He just needs to stay healthy and clean up some technique stuff and he should be a fine LT> 

Fisher is more like a young Eric Winston who has spent his whole career at RT. I don't think I've heard the Winston comp. anywhere else, but I think it's pretty accurate and that would be a good guy for Fisher to learn from. Both are athletic former TEs who had some 1st round grades pre-draft but slid well into the 2nd come draft day. Both are best in more of a zone blocking scheme and both probably project best to RT. 

Another thing to keep in mind with Fisher as a LT talk is that he played LT at Oregon this year only because of injury. I think he bulks a little for RT of the future or he'll kick inside to guard. My only fear in all of this is that they let Zeitler walk after his 5th year.

I'm really not too worried about Zeitler leaving.  RG/RT just do not command premium money at this point and their markets are relatively weak.  I actually think it wouldn't have been too hard to resign Andre, but thats probably not going to happen now.  I just don't expect his contract to net us a 3rd round comp pick like some people are expecting.

I think Fisher is pretty clearly a LT. Watch his feet and athleticism. I would bet that he ends up our LT and Ced our RT. 

With his arms and footwork, Ced has everything you look for in a prototype LT. From what I've seen, Fisher is a bit "stumpier", not as much of a natural athlete but technically superior compared to Ced.

Ced struggled at LT his senior year but he was so sloppy (hands outside, false steps) that I think if the coaching staff can get through to him he can be an All-Pro level LT.

I think they found two really good OLimen and there's enough versatility they'll fit somewhere.

With his arms and footwork, Ced has everything you look for in a prototype LT. From what I've seen, Fisher is a bit "stumpier", not as much of a natural athlete but technically superior compared to Ced.

Ced struggled at LT his senior year but he was so sloppy (hands outside, false steps) that I think if the coaching staff can get through to him he can be an All-Pro level LT.

I think they found two really good OLimen and there's enough versatility they'll fit somewhere.

Ced gave up 7 sacks and was terrible in his only year at LT. You see a break down of the video and he doesn't look in the same league as Fisher. Fisher was the most athletic T at the combine and played really well at LT as a senior. Ced might be great, but back injury, knee injury, 7 sacks in 1 year at the position...I just don't see it. 

Ced gave up 7 sacks and was terrible in his only year at LT. You see a break down of the video and he doesn't look in the same league as Fisher. Fisher was the most athletic T at the combine and played really well at LT as a senior. 

Fisher missed some games with injury and still got hit for 6 holding calls in 2014. He also really struggled against OSU in the national championship game. It's easy to point at certain stats for either guy that don't look good on paper.

As for athleticism, Ogbuehi obviously wasn't able to participate in the combine so we don't know whether he would have tested better than Fisher or not. It was speculated that Ogbuehi would have run in the 4.8s while Fisher ran a 5.01. Ogbuehi's arms are also more than 2 inches longer than Fisher's which the Bengals seem to make a very, very big deal of. Especially at the LT position. Every single scouting report on Cedric mentions elite athleticism.

And no offense, but I'm going with the Bengals scouting department who obviously valued Ogbuehi more highly (because they took him at 21 despite the ACL injury instead of Fisher) over your "not in the same league" opinion based upon watching a few videos. They obviously don't think he was terrible last year...

Fisher missed some games with injury and still got hit for 6 holding calls in 2014. He also really struggled against OSU in the national championship game. It's easy to point at certain stats for either guy that don't look good on paper.

As for athleticism, Ogbuehi obviously wasn't able to participate in the combine so we don't know whether he would have tested better than Fisher or not. It was speculated that Ogbuehi would have run in the 4.8s while Fisher ran a 5.01. Ogbuehi's arms are also more than 2 inches longer than Fisher's which the Bengals seem to make a very, very big deal of. Especially at the LT position. Every single scouting report on Cedric mentions elite athleticism.

And no offense, but I'm going with the Bengals scouting department who obviously valued Ogbuehi more highly (because they took him at 21 despite the ACL injury instead of Fisher) over your "not in the same league" opinion based upon watching a few videos. They obviously don't think he was terrible last year...

I read that he dominated OSU, I don't remember the game. Go to 20 on here and give a listen. I completely agree. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2301&v=HOooAAnuR2o

I don't trust Paul Alexander much. Stating where he was picked is not good logic. Tim Couch went before Don McNaab. Tom Brady went in the sixth round. Geno Atkins the 4th. So on and so forth. Watch video of him and he doesn't look like a strong LT. Whit hasn't given up 7 sacks in 7 years. 

I say line up fisher at LLT/TE and just plow over defenses.

Fisher used to be a TE ... I like the idea of him being the jumbo TE and 6th OL on base packages, I'd use 6 OL at least 50% of the time as I think that's the Bengals strongest formation.

One crazy idea (that I like) would be letting Whit go after this year, resigning Andre & Zeitler, and then have Fisher move to C ...

starting OL would be ... :39:

Ced -- Boling -- Fisher -- Zeitler -- Andre

^ (that is a young awesome OL)

I keep hearing people suggest moving Fisher the center, isn't he a little tall to play center?

Not if he can do it.

I seem to remember right after he was drafted one of the coaches said he would get a few snaps there.

Archived