Wild Card injury discussion

ESPN’s Britt McHenry reports that Stealers RB DeAngelo Williams is day to day following an MRI that showed no fractures or major structural damage to his ankle.
Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports Williams has an “outside chance, albeit a small one” to play in Saturday’s game against the Bengals.

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Stealers running back DeAngelo Williams does not have a fracture or any major damage in his right ankle and has an outside chance, albeit a small one, of playing Saturday night in a wild-card playoff game in Cincinnati, a team source confirmed to the Post-Gazette.

Williams had an MRI Sunday night after the Stealers returned from their 28-12 victory in Cleveland and is expected to be listed as day-to-day for the Bengals. His biggest issue could be a matter of pain tolerance, the source said.

ESPN first reported that Williams did not sustain any fractures or structural damage to his ankle and is day-to-day.

The Stealers do not intend to sign a veteran running back for the postseason as they did a year ago when they brought in Ben Tate, after Le’Veon Bell was injured in the season finale, and started him in a wild-card playoff loss to the Baltimore Ravens. They intend to use Fitzgerald Toussaint, Jordan Todman and fullback Will Johnson against the Bengals.

If Williams is getting MRIs to see if there's structural damage, that's not a good sign of him playing Saturday if you're Pitt.  Good news for Bengals, as he really helped to cushion the Bell loss and is someone you have to account for.  

I wish I could read more into it too, but don't they do more testing (such as an MRI) on basically any injury that's more severe than getting the wind knocked out of you?

It just tells me that they wanted to confirm that he doesn't have a worse injury than they expected, but we could be seeing him this weekend. Unlike our situation with Andy, Williams could play even if he takes the week off of practicing.

I have no idea about Williams, however if I'm the Pittsburgh Stealers I'm doing everything in my power to keep hope alive because that is a blow if they lose him.    Williams has been a season saver for them and a great acquisition.    He's playing at a level that can gain yards and chunks even when the Front 7 has the adequately filled the gaps.   Plus he is a capable receiver.     Puts tremendous stress on a LB/S core which in turn opens up windows for Ben to feed Brown/Miller etc. underneath.

Williams really impressed the in the preseason

Embedded image permalink

1. Retweeted

League sources indicate will make a roster move - promoting DeShawn Williams off the PS. B.Thompson suffered a knee injury v Balt.

That Williams kid sure did look good in preseason.  I can't remember if he got to play against good players or if it was always against future insurance salesmen.

Anyway, I'm rooting for him since I love seeing undrafted players beat the odds.

Like Go said, I don't know why anyone is clinging to the notion that Dalton will play. He won't. For whatever reason I'm not that worried about it. McCarron has played well enough and will do so again. I don't think AJ is going to have the mental block playing the Steelers that Dalton might have, plus I'm sure he wants to pay them back and play better than his first outing when he was thrust into the game without preparation. 

We can beat these guys. I am praying for a decent outing by McCarron, Hill and Gio, no stupid timeouts by Marvin, no bad penalties that cost us drives and for the defense to pick Ben off a couple times.

We also MUST contain Heath Miller. Guy has like 20 catches for a bunch of yards on us in the two games this season. We HAVE to find a solution for that.

That Williams kid sure did look good in preseason.  I can't remember if he got to play against good players or if it was always against future insurance salesmen.

Anyway, I'm rooting for him since I love seeing undrafted players beat the odds.

A lot of people here thought that he would be gone the minute he hit the practice squad.

Like Go said, I don't know why anyone is clinging to the notion that Dalton will play. He won't. For whatever reason I'm not that worried about it. McCarron has played well enough and will do so again. I don't think AJ is going to have the mental block playing the Stealers that Dalton might have, plus I'm sure he wants to pay them back and play better than his first outing when he was thrust into the game without preparation. 

We can beat these guys. I am praying for a decent outing by McCarron, Hill and Gio, no stupid timeouts by Marvin, no bad penalties that cost us drives and for the defense to pick Ben off a couple times.

We also MUST contain Heath Miller. Guy has like 20 catches for a bunch of yards on us in the two games this season. We HAVE to find a solution for that.

If you contain Heath Miller then you risk opening things for Brown, Bryant and Wheaton.  It's more a case of damage limitation by not containing Miller.  Their TE is LESS destructive than their wideouts who score more quickly and efficiently.

That being said, I think Iloka hopefully being back to full fitness can also be a difference maker here.

If you contain Heath Miller then you risk opening things for Brown, Bryant and Wheaton.  It's more a case of damage limitation by not containing Miller.  Their TE is LESS destructive than their wideouts who score more quickly and efficiently.

That being said, I think Iloka hopefully being back to full fitness can also be a difference maker here.

A chunk play's a chunk play. You can't have Heeeeeeeeeaaaaath (Insert toothless inbred voice) running all over the middle of the field. 

Archived