Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
omgdrdoom

Offseason and regular season questionnaire

41 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Jason said:

 

He is recovering from labrum surgery after the combine (he played with a torn labrum from the Stanford game).  All indications (from the team) are he will be cleared in time for training camp.

 

Well we know how that story goes, when it comes to injuries and indications from the Bengals I don't believe much of anything that they say. They typical treat everyone outside of PBS like mushrooms in these situations, they keep us in the dark and feed us shit. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

 

He's currently hurt and not cleared to practice. Plus when you add his injury history and the recent bengals first round picks that have been injured often; Eifert, Dennard, Ogbuehi, and Jackson have all missed significant time due to injury, I think the trend will continue. 

 

Ross is slightly built and I wonder how will he stand up to the physical nature of AFCN football that is played in this division. I understand the speed he brings but if he can't stay healthy then it won't really matter. 

 

I hope he gets and stays healthy, I truly do but if I had guess which player would be on the pup I would put my money on him. 

 

It doesn't matter that he's hurt, he wouldn't be able to work out right now, regardless.  UW doesn't graduate until Jun 10th. That's one of the reasons why he waited until after the combine to have the surgery, he wasn't going to be able to participate in OTA's anyway.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

 

Well we know how that story goes, when it comes to injuries and indications from the Bengals I don't believe much of anything that they say. The typical treat everyone outside of PBS like mushrooms in these situations, they keep us in the dark and feed us shit. 

 

We shall see.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kennethmw said:

 

It doesn't matter that he's hurt, he wouldn't be able to work out right now, regardless.  UW doesn't graduate until Jun 10th. That's one of the reasons why he waited until after the combine to have the surgery, he wasn't going to be able to participate in OTA's anyway.  

 

It definitely matters that he's hurt, even if his school had graduation he wouldn't be able to participate. 

 

The rehab time from a shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum is at least 6 months, being that he had the surgery on 3/14 that puts him at 9/14 for a comeback time. 

 

Quote

 

Patients who undergo arthroscopic repair can expect shorter recovery times and less pain. Those undergoing open surgery should expect more pain, longer recovery, and in some cases incomplete shoulder rotation.

Regardless of treatment type, almost all athletes are advised to wear a sling for the first four weeks post-surgery to protect the shoulder as it heals. Following surgery, athletes may require six months to one year for full recovery, with overhead throwing athletes taking the longest.

“If fixed properly, most athletes should be able to return to at least 80 percent of their pre-injury level of play,” says Dr. Fealy.

https://www.hss.edu/conditions_shoulder-labrum-tears-overview.asp

 

 

If he misses TC and the preseason he will probably start the season on the PUP and get brought back once his shoulder is strong enough to play. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There maybe a slight positive to this when he returns. Shazier and his fellow thugs will probably target his shoulder instead of the usual head. Hahah

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

 

It definitely matters that he's hurt, even if his school had graduation he wouldn't be able to participate. 

 

The rehab time from a shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum is at least 6 months, being that he had the surgery on 3/14 that puts him at 9/14 for a comeback time. 

 

 

If he misses TC and the preseason he will probably start the season on the PUP and get brought back once his shoulder is strong enough to play. 

 

First, the average rehab time for a "Throwing athlete" is three to four months, I don't see why his would be longer, and second, it DOES MATTER that he had the surgery when he wasn't going to be able to participate anyway.  His school hasn't graduated, so even if he was 100% HEALTHY, HE COULDN'T PRACTICE.  He can, however, work out with the professional rehab team that the Bengals employ.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do you bother with this one, Ken? You will never be correct in anything, so sayeth the Prince. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kennethmw said:

 

First, the average rehab time for a "Throwing athlete" is three to four months, I don't see why his would be longer, and second, it DOES MATTER that he had the surgery when he wasn't going to be able to participate anyway.  His school hasn't graduated, so even if he was 100% HEALTHY, HE COULDN'T PRACTICE.  He can, however, work out with the professional rehab team that the Bengals employ.

THE LAST WORD

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kennethmw said:

 

First, the average rehab time for a "Throwing athlete" is three to four months, I don't see why his would be longer, and second, it DOES MATTER that he had the surgery when he wasn't going to be able to participate anyway.  His school hasn't graduated, so even if he was 100% HEALTHY, HE COULDN'T PRACTICE.  He can, however, work out with the professional rehab team that the Bengals employ.

 

Can he work out with Dalton offsite between now and the beginning of training camp to get down their timing? No, because his shoulder is recovering from surgery, so obviously it matters? Can he work on improving his strength so he can beat press coverage, no because he's recovering from shoulder surgery.

 

Any logical person would be able to see that rehabbing from an injury puts a player behind schedule in terms of their development, it's the same line of thinking you use to defend Ced Ogbuehi. Players say it all the time, especially when they have a poor season, they talk about how they didn't get to workout in the offseason because they are injured...not sure why it applies to Ogbuehi but not Ross. 

 

If Ross is lucky he will be able to start strengthening his shoulder on by August, but I would be shocked if he is ready to play at the start of the preseason. The Bengals are normally very conservative when it comes to rehabbing players and will likely err on the side of caution and bring him along slowly because this type of injury can be easily re-aggravated if not treated properly.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

 

 

If Ross is lucky he will be able to start strengthening his shoulder on by August,

 

I bet he is already strengthening his shoulder.  No way he could be 100% recovered in just 6 months if he could nmot even start strengthening his shoulder until August.

 

I am not saying I am convinced Ross will be ready for opening game, but I think you are being a bit too negative.  Where did you get the info that says he will have to be lucky to start strengthening his shoulder in August?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

 

Can he work out with Dalton offsite between now and the beginning of training camp to get down their timing? No, because his shoulder is recovering from surgery, so obviously it matters? Can he work on improving his strength so he can beat press coverage, no because he's recovering from shoulder surgery.

 

Any logical person would be able to see that rehabbing from an injury puts a player behind schedule in terms of their development, it's the same line of thinking you use to defend Ced Ogbuehi. Players say it all the time, especially when they have a poor season, they talk about how they didn't get to workout in the offseason because they are injured...not sure why it applies to Ogbuehi but not Ross. 

 

If Ross is lucky he will be able to start strengthening his shoulder on by August, but I would be shocked if he is ready to play at the start of the preseason. The Bengals are normally very conservative when it comes to rehabbing players and will likely err on the side of caution and bring him along slowly because this type of injury can be easily re-aggravated if not treated properly.  

 

Would he be allowed to do that anyway???

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fortunately for us his career will not be defined by what happens in this off season.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

 

I bet he is already strengthening his shoulder.  No way he could be 100% recovered in just 6 months if he could nmot even start strengthening his shoulder until August.

 

I am not saying I am convinced Ross will be ready for opening game, but I think you are being a bit too negative.  Where did you get the info that says he will have to be lucky to start strengthening his shoulder in August?

 

This is from a MD

 

Quote

 

The recovery from labral tear surgery is long, and quite annoying. Most of you who are undergoing a labral repair or labrum reconstruction are having the cartilage tissue sewn back against the bone. Although we put anchors into the bone and utilize them to reattach your labrum you need to wait until the labral tear actually heals back to the bone – – – which takes a minimum of 8 to 12 weeks – – – before you can start to put any significant stress onto your shoulder. Surgery on the labrum generally involves a period of immobilization or the use of a sling. It may involve very light, gentle physical therapy if the surgeon finds that your shoulder might be getting stiff, however, you should not stress full range of motion of your shoulder, nor should you return to any overhead activities or weightlifting, until you have been given the go-ahead to do so by your surgeon. Many failures are the result of noncompliance (you not listening to your doctor :-)) — and not following the instructions of your surgeon, or therapy that has become too aggressive, too soon.

Even when you do follow your physician’s instructions,  and even if a repeat MRI shows that the labrum is healed, you may still have some residual symptoms (pain). Many times, that’s because there was probably something else that was bothering you shoulder – – – or simply the fact that restoration of “normal” function – – – following a labral repair, is frequently not possible.

http://www.howardluksmd.com/education/common-injuries/shoulder-labrum-labral-tears-is-surgery-necessary/

 

 

Being that the Bengals just invested millions of dollars in Ross I'm going to think they are going to take it very slowly and ease him back into the weightlifting and other football related activities slowly to ensure they don't re-injure his surgically repaired shoulder. Also when you consider how they handled the injuries of other players, not rushing them back but letting them take the time to ensure they are properly healed before clearing them for football duties, I assume they would do the same for Ross. 

 

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

Fortunately for us his career will not be defined by what happens in this off season.

 

I agree, I think it's wise to take it very slow and make sure he's able to properly recover and strengthen his body so he can stay healthy while performing at a high level. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look at every unit on this squad and I think late Playoff/Super Bowl quality EXCEPT for the OLine.  I look at them and think 8-8 if we're lucky.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2017 at 11:09 AM, omgdrdoom said:

Surprise cut -Derron Smith

Surprise signing -Anthony Collins

Starts season on PUP -Giovani

Doesn't play a snap all season -Jeff Driskel

Most valuable player - Vontaze Burfict

Least valuable player - Trey Hopkins

Rookie of the year - MIxon

Most improved player from 2016 (only guys who played on the team last year) - Ogbuehi

Total wins - 12

Total ties -0

AFCN record - 4-2

Number of games Adam Jones suspended (by team or league) -2

Most overrated Bengal (by people here) - Fejedelem

Most underappreciated Bengal (by people here) - Jeremy Hill/Dre Kirkpatrick

 

 

:Bang:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0