Which QB(s) would you take in 1?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Why?

Bookmark this post.

I was wrong. 

Mayfield has been in more trouble than I knew about.  Maybe I just heard more about Manziel because I live in SEC country, but Football is still the only guy I know who had his own parents saying he was out of control.  Except for the guys who are repeat violent offenders I don't see many college players who seem as certain to go off the tracks as Manziel did.

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Nor me. Or Gruden and Guenther at DC. 

I expect that we do something dumb. The majority of us know its dumb. And then we talk our way into rationalizing that its a good thing a couple weeks later. 

Just remember that the majority of the fan base lost their shit when we hired an arena league guy to be our OC "just because of his last name".  The haters were having a field day.

But it ended up being a very good hire.

So I will probably taker a positive attitude and hope for the best.  It might turn out to be a bad hire, but I will wait to make myself suffer until I make sure I really need to.

16 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Bookmark this post.

I was wrong. 

Mayfield has been in more trouble than I knew about.  Maybe I just heard more about Manziel because I live in SEC country, but Football is still the only guy I know who had his own parents saying he was out of control.  Except for the guys who are repeat violent offenders I don't see many college players who seem as certain to go off the tracks as Manziel did.

I don't think Mayfield's maturity issues are as big as Manziel, but they are there.  

2 hours ago, GoBengals said:

best QB crop in 10+ years and people wouldnt want to take one??!?!?

wtf...

Not counting this years rookies here is the last decade of QBs taken in the first round

Goff

Wentz

Paxton Lynch

Winston

Mariota

Bortles

Manzie

Bridgewater

EJ Manuel

Luck

RG3

Tannehill

Brandon Weeden

Cam

Jake Locker

Blaine Gabbert

Christian Ponder

Sam Bradford

Tebow

Stafford

Mark Sanchez

Josh Freeman

Flacco

Matt Ryan

JaMarcus Russell

Brady Quinn

Vince Young

Matt Leinart

Jay Cutler

How many of those 29 QBs ended up being better than Dalton.  I know some of you will be enamored with Goff and Wentz, but fans also loved Josh Freeman, Mark Sanchez, Vince Young, RG3, and Mariota after their second seasons.

Some of these guys are better than Dalton, but it is a small minority. 

3 hours ago, GoBengals said:

best QB crop in 10+ years and people wouldnt want to take one??!?!?

wtf...

I would take one if the new coaching staff has their eyes on one who will realistically be available when they pick.

I'd move Dalton for a 1st or second rounder and hopefully McCarron will still be available to start Week 1 if need be. 

I like Allen as well. He's also very athletic for his size. His arm is VERY strong. 

39 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Not counting this years rookies here is the last decade of QBs taken in the first round

Goff

Wentz

Paxton Lynch

Winston

Mariota

Bortles

Manzie

Bridgewater

EJ Manuel

Luck

RG3

Tannehill

Brandon Weeden

Cam

Jake Locker

Blaine Gabbert

Christian Ponder

Sam Bradford

Tebow

Stafford

Mark Sanchez

Josh Freeman

Flacco

Matt Ryan

JaMarcus Russell

Brady Quinn

Vince Young

Matt Leinart

Jay Cutler

How many of those 29 QBs ended up being better than Dalton.  I know some of you will be enamored with Goff and Wentz, but fans also loved Josh Freeman, Mark Sanchez, Vince Young, RG3, and Mariota after their second seasons.

Some of these guys are better than Dalton, but it is a small minority. 

It's a fair point, but Dalton has certainly been surrounded by some good players during his time here. Whitworth, Zeitler, Gio, AJ, Marv and Sanu were good complementary pieces, Eifert, etc. Not saying these guys would have necessarily been better than Dalton, but as I go through the list, most weren't blessed with much of a supporting cast. The QB that you're drafting would be in a decent spot if you can fix the line,which you may be able to do via free agency and the extra pick(s) you get for Dalton. When you draft him, the hope is that the Mixon, AJ, Gio, Ross, hopefully Eifert's of the world, coupled with increased arm talent can lead to something good. 

You saw it somewhat this year with Watson. They let him run a little bit of his college stuff. He doesn't need a great line because of his mobility and pocket awareness, but he started off with 2 1st round WR's and Lamar Miller. That helps. 

33 minutes ago, schotzee said:

David Klingler v2? Just wondering about your thoughts on any would be differences.

I never actually saw Klingler play.  But I know he played in a run and shoot.  Allen is making pro caliber throws.

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I absolutely would not take a QB in R1.  If a good prospect was available in R2 I would pull the trigger. 

Need OL help.  Need LB and DB help.  Need a TE.  I would even take a big boy DT if available in R1 if he were a stud. 

Pretty much this. The Bengals are in SERIOUS need of offensive line help, significant LB and Secondary upgrades, a top tier DT and/or DE and depth and/or potential starters at WR and TE. I'd be out on a first round QB. 

5 hours ago, Jason said:

I never actually saw Klingler play.  But I know he played in a run and shoot.  Allen is making pro caliber throws.

I did see Klingler play...each miserable home game those years. He had the world-class arm--would mess around in pre-game warm ups and routinely toss the ball from the goal line to opposite 30 or even farther. His issue was accuracy--he would laser a ball at 100 mph but it was always behind a receiver, or so far over his head it was just a super fast duck dropping into the safety's mitts. He wasn't stupid either, he just had no touch at all. Given that the run-and-shoot was all about timing and positioning, that he was that inaccurate was frankly shocking. That and he had a line which would make this year's look all-pro. 

I remember a '93 game against Seattle. He only played like the first quarter, had several INT's and was sacked what seemed like every time he dropped back. Jay Schroeder came in (supposedly Dave was hurt, but he was standing on the sideline the rest of the game) and actually made some things happen. Never saw much of Klingler the rest of the season--he was in and out, Schroeder played a lot. 

But if that big-time arm was all there was to it, he would have been in Canton by now.

23 hours ago, Jason said:

So odds are we will be picking somewhere between 5 and 8. OT is our biggest need IMO, but which QB(s) if any would you take if they are on the board? For sake of argument let's say we can trade Andy for a top 10 second round pick.

We will keep Andy, and AJ will be our backup in 2018.

14 minutes ago, CincyInDC said:

This is how you end up with a Factory of Sadness -- Skipping the bulldozer step. 

Agree with the last two posters...

QB is so not anywhere near the top of the list if positions we need to improve. Again, NOWHERE near the top.

If you think Dalton is the problem with this team, do everyone here who gets it a favor and try to understand football better. My 66 year old mother can’t even believe you people clamoring for a round 1 QB.

Rosen and Darnold will probably be gone before we pick, assuming they both come out.  My preference would be to draft OL, but Allen and Mayfield would be possible QB options in the first round for the Bengals that I could live with.  I'm probably in the minority, but I think Mayfield has a real chance to succeed in the NFL.  He's definitely a better prospect than Manziel and has a much stronger arm.  Obviously his size is not ideal and his attitude can cross the line at times.  I give him credit for perseverance starting as a walk on in college, winning the QB position at two different schools,  and eventually winning the Heisman.  He is not some pampered rich kid like Johnny football.  He's very driven and works hard to be great.  I think he's a natural leader and his teammates respond to him.  As far as Allen goes, I like him a lot as well as a prospect.   He checks all the boxes as far as size, arm strength, and athleticism.  Only watched him a couple times and it definitely seems like Allen is capable of leading an offense on his talent alone.  The concerns I have would be the level of competition he's faced and his playing style sometimes resulting in taking unnecessary big hits.

3 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

QB is so not anywhere near the top of the list if positions we need to improve. Again, NOWHERE near the top.

If you think Dalton is the problem with this team, do everyone here who gets it a favor and try to understand football better. My 66 year old mother can’t even believe you people clamoring for a round 1 QB.

Depends on how you look at it.  Disclaimer: My preference is also to draft a LT in 1.  

But, do you think Dalton is a QB you can win a Super Bowl with?  If the answer is yes, you build around him.  If not I can see the logic of taking a QB in 1 and O-line after.

4 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

I don't think he's their biggest problem, probably far from it.

But I also do not believe that he's good enough to win a Super Bowl unless EVERYTHING goes right around him.

That includes a legendary defense, playmakers all around him, and an offensive line that is impenetrable. 

I don't count on those things, so I'd like the Bengals to be in constant pursuit of someone better at the most important position. 

That doesn't mean you HAVE to pick anyone in a particular spot, but they SHOULD be evaluating QB's in the draft every year and BE ready to pounce on one if they love him and he's available where they pick. 

His deep ball this year was so disgusting that I'm ready to puke whenever I think about it. I feel like he kept maybe 1 or 2 in bounce all year. 

Archived