Coaching Staff Changes

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

Are you saying this as in if it's a good thing?

I'd say it might be?   "Kind of a prick" is probably needed but all they'd have to do is run tell Redeemer. He'd give them an extra juice box and make the mean man apologize for doing an owie to their fee-fees.

OTOH you can be kind of a prick and also suck at coaching football.  

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'd say it might be?   "Kind of a prick" is probably needed but all they'd have to do is run tell Redeemer. He'd give them an extra juice box and make the mean man apologize for doing an owie to their fee-fees.

OTOH you can be kind of a prick and also suck at coaching football.  

No doubts!

23 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Couldn't you just hire the best head coaching candidate possible and have him hire a good OL coach?

I don't get the love for Guenther.

The guy has had one top 10 DVOA defense in his 4 seasons as D-Coordinator. 

Zimmer had two top 10 finishes in his last two years.

He took Zimmer's defense and just made it a little bit worse. 

Couple it with the fact that Burfict and Pacman went back off the rails when he took over...

But didn't Geunther produce a defense with a higher DVOA than Zimmer ever did here?  Where can I find those numbers.

Zimmer wanted Geunther as his DC, and there is no need comparing geunther to Zimmer because Zimmer is not an option for us.

So who are the available DCs who have posted better units than he has over the last four years?

50 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

But didn't Geunther produce a defense with a higher DVOA than Zimmer ever did here?  Where can I find those numbers.

Zimmer wanted Geunther as his DC, and there is no need comparing geunther to Zimmer because Zimmer is not an option for us.

So who are the available DCs who have posted better units than he has over the last four years?

No, Zimmer's defense finished 5th in DVOA in 2013.

Guenther's highest ranking was 10th (2015)

Guenther other rankings have been 14th (2014), 17th (2016), and 18th (2017). 

My problem with Guenther is that he has inherited a defense with talent. He inherited a good situation. But under his watch, I am of the opinion that the defense hasn't improved, and hasn't really stayed the same. it's less agressive, and less disciplined:

Starting with 2009 (couldn't find 2008), here were Zimmer's defenses rankings in fewest penalties:

2009: 9th

2010: 11th

2011: 3rd

2012: 9th

2013: 20th

Under Guenther:

2014: 23rd

2015: 15th

2016: 11th

2017: 30th

Guenther's defenses have actually been moderately better at takeaways than under Zimmer (which surprised me), but the fumbles thing is just insane when you see the numbers:

Opponent Fumble Percentage Rank:

2014: 29th

2015: 29th

2016: 32nd

2017: 32nd

I don't know what these coaches are teaching the players, but if they are going to be on the staff next year, MB needs to hire an outside fumbling consultant. Someone has to instruct the players on how to strip the ball. 

In regards to you saying that Zimmer wanted Guenther to be his DC, I guess I would say that I don't really care all that much. I'm sure the Minnesota defense would look pretty much the same if Guenther was the coordinator instead of...George Edwards.

I don't see his name popping up on any HC watch lists.

It's probably because Zimmer ultimately has control over those defenses. 

It's like saying that Matt Lefleur is responsible for the Rams offense. Probably a little, but waaaaayyyyy overstated. 

I give Marvin a lot of credit for leaving the Bengals better than how he found them.

I'm going to hold Guenther to the same standard.

He's been given 4 years to put his stamp on the defense.

It can be argued that Guenther has had more talent on defense (in it's prime) than Zimmer ever had.

He was in a great position to build off of that previous success. But the numbers show that the defense has been middle-of-the-pack/average.

You can win a Super Bowl with that defense if you have a great QB. You're not winning a Super Bowl with a middle-of-the-pack defense with Andy Dalton as your QB. 

My opinion is that if the unit is going to be middle-of-the-road, they should at least be more aggressive and entertaining to watch. 

In terms of who I would recommend...

Just off of the top of my head, Vic Fangio.

If any offensive-minded HC candidate can promise me Fangio as his DC, I'm hiring him.

His DVOA rankings as a DC:

2011: 3rd

2012: 3rd

2013: 13th

2014: 5th

2015: 31st (first year taking over a brutal CHI defense)

2016: 23rd

2017: 14th

Now go look at his defensive players vs. the ones currently on the Bengals.

He'd have the Bengals defense comfortably inside the top 10 right away. 

I'd also interview him to be the HC. If he can promise a good OC, why not?

17 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Looks like the Raiders are willing to open the vault to bring Gruden in. Part ownership stake.

Damn, that's kind of impressive.  Never heard of such a thing, has any other coach ever had that kind of deal (other than Paul Brown, obviously)?

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Damn, that's kind of impressive.  Never heard of such a thing, has any other coach ever had that kind of deal (other than Paul Brown, obviously)?

Not sure, but it is a really big thing.Apparently all 32 owners would have to agree to such an agreement.

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Ah, now that seems highly unlikely.  Wouldn't want their own coaches getting any ideas.

I can't imagine a first time coach in an organization getting any kind of deal like that.  Prove himself and win some shit then maybe the next deal throws in a little ownership.  The Raiders are just a shit organization so this should not surprise anyone.

53 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Why isn't Urban Meyer's name ever thrown out there. He's a big time big game coach.

I don’t know too much about Meyer. However, my gut feeling has always been the players would not believe and respect him as an nfl coach. 

BUT, I think he would be able to make better halftime changes, unlike the current Bengal coaches.

16 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I can't imagine a first time coach in an organization getting any kind of deal like that.  Prove himself and win some shit then maybe the next deal throws in a little ownership.  The Raiders are just a shit organization so this should not surprise anyone.

Eh, IDK.  Cleveland is a shit organization and they aren't offering anyone ownership shares.  I can't say for sure that it's unprecedented but there have been plenty of shit teams and I've never heard of such a deal.

Also worth noting Oakland has the same record we do.. Glass houses & all.   Think Ol' Musty is willing to share his big bag of Redeemin' Sprinkles with our next coach?

12 minutes ago, Rick said:

I don’t know too much about Meyer. However, my gut feeling has always been the players would not believe and respect him as an nfl coach .

You may be right in this aspect, but damn, this guy has one of the best college coaching resumes I have ever seen with 4 different universities no less.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Eh, IDK.  Cleveland is a shit organization and they aren't offering anyone ownership shares.  I can't say for sure that it's unprecedented but there have been plenty of shit teams and I've never heard of such a deal.

Also worth noting Oakland has the same record we do.. Glass houses & all.   Think Ol' Musty is willing to share his big bag of Redeemin' Sprinkles with our next coach?

Oakland has only had 1 winning season and one playoff appearance in the last 15 years .  They and Cleveland are significantly worse than us.  Gruden is an enigma, for some reason, there are owners out there that believe he will guarantee success.  

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Oakland has only had 1 winning season and one playoff appearance in the last 15 years .  They and Cleveland are significantly worse than us.  Gruden is an enigma, for some reason, there are owners out there that believe he will guarantee success.  

As Captain Obvious would say "Mike Brown isn't one of them".

Archived