The Rams Analysis Thread

On 2/5/2022 at 7:58 PM, Greg Thornton said:

If you don’t mind a view from the other side allow me to chirp in

First off Rams keep their locker room, SOFI houses two teams and actually has 3 locker rooms, you guys get the Chargers room 

Rams more often than not, rush 4 not 5

I’m so happy for the Bengals, love your Team, your QB is legit, what your team has accomplished has been a tremendous feel good story and frankly we’re going to have to bring our absolute A game

Rams kryptonite is power run teams, and while Mixon is way better than what we have, I’m not sure Cincy fits a power run team, good for us

My guess it’s going to take over 38 points to win this game

thanks for stopping by and chiming in. i keep trying to find stats on this but i decided to go watch film instead. in the NFCC game here is the pressure brought by the rams on pass plays:

1. 4
  2. 5
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 5
  6. 4
  7. 6
  8. 5
  9. 4
  10. 4
  11. 4
  12. 5
  13. 5
  14. 4
  15. 4
  16. 5
  17. 5
  18. 5
  19. 5
  20. 4
  21. 4
  22. 4
  23. 5
  24. 4
  25. 4
  26. 4
  27. 4
  28. 4
  29. 4
  30. 5

so they brought 4, 17/30 times, 5+ 13/30. so 2 off of an even split.

you will notice at the end of the game when the niners were down, they started dropping heavy numbers the niners were 3-4 wide, until then it was 11/19 bringing 5+.

ill keep digging for stats, and im wondering if trailing vs leading changes these stats dramatically, as it seemed to in the NFCC game?

if i get bored ill keep going back and watch a few more games. id really rather find the stats tho.

On 2/5/2022 at 9:58 PM, Greg Thornton said:

If you don’t mind a view from the other side allow me to chirp in

First off Rams keep their locker room, SOFI houses two teams and actually has 3 locker rooms, you guys get the Chargers room 

Rams more often than not, rush 4 not 5

I’m so happy for the Bengals, love your Team, your QB is legit, what your team has accomplished has been a tremendous feel good story and frankly we’re going to have to bring our absolute A game

Rams kryptonite is power run teams, and while Mixon is way better than what we have, I’m not sure Cincy fits a power run team, good for us

My guess it’s going to take over 38 points to win this game

I would be very surprised if it takes 38 pts to win this game. The Rams haven't scored over 38 all year. The Bengals did 3x, all vs intra-division rivals

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

A different type QB than Jimmy G..and definitely more run-heavy…but their game against TN in November may yield some interesting data? 

ill check that one too, id assume just dropping extra works best for tannehill. he doesnt need to be pressured to suck.

SB LVI: Los Angeles Rams Offense Breakdown

Story posted 1 day ago in Sports, CommRadio by Ethan Ellis

Led by Matthew Stafford, the Rams’ offense has been a dominant force in the NFL this season. This offense is largely made up of players that were not drafted by the Rams like Odell Beckham Jr. and Stafford. Many of these players became a part of the team thanks in part to some offseason trades and signings.

Stafford was traded to the Rams in the offseason in exchange for former Rams quarterback Jared Goff, two first round picks, and a third round pick. This was a revolutionary trade for the Rams’ offense that has completely changed how this offense has functioned and with the addition of Odell Beckham Jr. as an extra weapon, Stafford has been able to produce the results that most of the NFL always knew he was capable of producing.

Of course, you can’t mention the Rams’ offense without mentioning Cooper Kupp. Kupp has been having a breakout season this year which, combined with the additions of Stafford and Beckham, has transformed this Rams’ offense that, just three years ago, scored only three points in Super Bowl LIII against the Patriots.

Kupp has led the league in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns during the season. In addition to leading the league in multiple categories, Kupp has set several NFL records that no one would have thought would be attainable before the season, becoming the first player in NFL history to go over 2,000 yards receiving in a season and he has the most catches in a season with 159.

Another, lesser known stat is that Kupp set a record in was catches that went for over 25 yards with 23. With stats like that, it’s no wonder that Kupp has consistently been in consideration, albeit the favorite, to win Offensive Player of the Year.

One aspect of this offense that the Rams have seen less success with over the course of the season has been the rushing game.

During a private workout in preseason training, Cam Akers, who was poised to be one of the Rams main offensive weapons during the season, ruptured his achilles. Amazingly, Akers was able to recover in time to make an appearance in the final regular season game against San Francisco. In the postseason, Akers has started two of the  three games with Sony Michel starting the Wild Card game. Akers is expected to start for the Rams on Sunday, but don’t expect the rushing attack to be relied on too much.

When it comes to the Super Bowl, look for the connection between Stafford, Beckham and Kupp to be the key reason why the Rams either succeed or fail at offense.

One sleeper to look out for on the Rams’ offense is Tyler Higbee. Higbee has been having a decent season which has carried over into the postseason. Look for Higbee to be a target for Stafford if

Beckham and Kupp can’t get open. Higbee could very well have a large impact on this game if Stafford is forced to place an increased reliance on him.

Will Cooper Kupp continue his dominance this season? Or will Matthew Stafford be forced to turn to a new wide receiver or offensive weapon? This will all be determined when the Super Bowl kicks off at 6:30 pm. on Sunday, Feb. 13.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

SB LVI: Los Angeles Rams Offense Breakdown

Story posted 1 day ago in Sports, CommRadio by Ethan Ellis

Led by Matthew Stafford, the Rams’ offense has been a dominant force in the NFL this season. This offense is largely made up of players that were not drafted by the Rams like Odell Beckham Jr. and Stafford. Many of these players became a part of the team thanks in part to some offseason trades and signings.

Stafford was traded to the Rams in the offseason in exchange for former Rams quarterback Jared Goff, two first round picks, and a third round pick. This was a revolutionary trade for the Rams’ offense that has completely changed how this offense has functioned and with the addition of Odell Beckham Jr. as an extra weapon, Stafford has been able to produce the results that most of the NFL always knew he was capable of producing.

Of course, you can’t mention the Rams’ offense without mentioning Cooper Kupp. Kupp has been having a breakout season this year which, combined with the additions of Stafford and Beckham, has transformed this Rams’ offense that, just three years ago, scored only three points in Super Bowl LIII against the Patriots.

Kupp has led the league in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns during the season. In addition to leading the league in multiple categories, Kupp has set several NFL records that no one would have thought would be attainable before the season, becoming the first player in NFL history to go over 2,000 yards receiving in a season and he has the most catches in a season with 159.

Another, lesser known stat is that Kupp set a record in was catches that went for over 25 yards with 23. With stats like that, it’s no wonder that Kupp has consistently been in consideration, albeit the favorite, to win Offensive Player of the Year.

One aspect of this offense that the Rams have seen less success with over the course of the season has been the rushing game.

During a private workout in preseason training, Cam Akers, who was poised to be one of the Rams main offensive weapons during the season, ruptured his achilles. Amazingly, Akers was able to recover in time to make an appearance in the final regular season game against San Francisco. In the postseason, Akers has started two of the  three games with Sony Michel starting the Wild Card game. Akers is expected to start for the Rams on Sunday, but don’t expect the rushing attack to be relied on too much.

When it comes to the Super Bowl, look for the connection between Stafford, Beckham and Kupp to be the key reason why the Rams either succeed or fail at offense.

One sleeper to look out for on the Rams’ offense is Tyler Higbee. Higbee has been having a decent season which has carried over into the postseason. Look for Higbee to be a target for Stafford if

Beckham and Kupp can’t get open. Higbee could very well have a large impact on this game if Stafford is forced to place an increased reliance on him.

Will Cooper Kupp continue his dominance this season? Or will Matthew Stafford be forced to turn to a new wide receiver or offensive weapon? This will all be determined when the Super Bowl kicks off at 6:30 pm. on Sunday, Feb. 13.

Cooper will be targeted many times.

Tough kid..

I dont fear OBJ at this point 

Whitworth playing injured will have it rough against Hendrickson..

Our Dbackfield is better than their unit..

Burrow is better than Stafford even with the right side lines inadequacies

The Rams are a good team but I dont equalize them to the Chiefs..

Advantage Bengals...

2 hours ago, StripesNall said:

The Rams kicker is 2nd in the NFL in FG%, 3rd in pts and his longest is 55 yards, so he's no slouch. He also got voted into the pro bowl.

He's been garbage in the playoffs although apparently he was injured in warmups against Tampa Bay.  I assume that's true because he was short on a 47 yarder later in the game which makes him weaker than Jim Breech.

16 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Cooper will be targeted many times.

Tough kid..

I dont fear OBJ at this point 

Whitworth playing injured will have it rough against Hendrickson..

Our Dbackfield is better than their unit..

Burrow is better than Stafford even with the right side lines inadequacies

The Rams are a good team but I dont equalize them to the Chiefs..

Advantage Bengals...

I think I put Cheto on OBJ and then run bracket coverage on Cupp with Hylton (who apparently has only allowed 6 catches the entire post season) and Bates.  Then let Apple man up on their #3 WR and depending on what their O is doing let Bell roam free in the box or backfield.

On 2/8/2022 at 3:48 PM, GoBengals said:

ill check that one too, id assume just dropping extra works best for tannehill. he doesnt need to be pressured to suck.

He is a Dalton clone. Looks pretty good then “Oh fuck.”

18 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I think I put Cheto on OBJ and then run bracket coverage on Cupp with Hylton (who apparently has only allowed 6 catches the entire post season) and Bates.  Then let Apple man up on their #3 WR and depending on what their O is doing let Bell roam free in the box or backfield.

im not sure thats possible on a high percentage of snaps with a slot receiver, but in practice in the past, putting #1 corner on #2 WR then double the #1 was pretty common, i stopped keeping up with trends in schemes during dalton years as i stopped watching football for many at the end.

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

He is a Dalton clone. Looks pretty good then “Oh fuck.”

so unless someone ELSE makes a play, its "OH FUCK" ?

7 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Stafford tosses his fair share of INT’s. Would be curious to see what defense sets causes his. 

not sure its a scheme, dude likes to FIRE balls into crowds. he has the "ha, bet i can make that throw" gene. lots of great plays come from it, lots of wild INTs come from it too.

9 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

im not sure thats possible on a high percentage of snaps with a slot receiver, but in practice in the past, putting #1 corner on #2 WR then double the #1 was pretty common, i stopped keeping up with trends in schemes during dalton years as i stopped watching football for many at the end.

so unless someone ELSE makes a play, its "OH FUCK" ?

not sure its a scheme, dude likes to FIRE balls into crowds. he has the "ha, bet i can make that throw" gene. lots of great plays come from it, lots of wild INTs come from it too.

Strong on Stafford..

Im looking a 2 ints from him Sunday..

Seeing where Tyler Higbee (TE) is out. That takes a little out of their attack--he was not a main target, but had good production. The backups are unremarkable. 

I'm always leery about defense against any TE in this system, but this may take that threat down several notches. 

This was posted in the “happenings” thread, but it presents several detractions (with Higbee) and—as they see it anyway—a “boost” in their D-line rotation with Joseph-Day.

How the Bengals adjust to the ins-and-outs will be curious: 

Rams place Higbee and Noteboom on IR, activate Joseph-Day and Henderson Jr.

The Rams shared a mixture of good news and bad news on Friday ahead of Super Bowl LVI. The good news is that Sebastian Joseph-Day and Darrell Henderson Jr. have both been activated off injured reserve, making them eligible to play in Sunday’s game.

The bad news is that Tyler Higbee and Joe Noteboom were placed on IR, ruling them out for the Super Bowl. The Rams needed to make room on the roster for Joseph-Day and Henderson, and moving Higbee and Noteboom to IR was the easiest way to do it.

Losing Higbee is a big blow to the offense. He played 92% of the offensive snaps this season and was typically the only tight end on the field. He’ll be replaced by Kendall Blanton, who filled in admirably in the NFC title game with five catches for 57 yards.

The return of Joseph-Day provides a boost to the defensive front, joining the rotation with Greg Gaines and A’Shawn Robinson. He’s a great run defender but has also improved as a pass rusher the last two years.

Henderson is unlikely to have a significant role with Cam Akers and Sony Michel handling the bulk of the work in the backfield. He could mix in as a receiver at times, but expect Akers and Michel to get most of the carries.

Archived