Bengals 2023 OTA portion of off-season stuff

18 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Isn't this the guy who had some sort of trouble with the law?

Awkward... 

Isn't he the guy we claimed (off waivers?) from the Chefs, right before the AFC Championship game? Key Special Teamer that couldn't play for the Chefs after we "claimed" him and couldn't officially sign with the Bengals until after the Super Bowl?

41 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Never heard of him.

No :ninja: no 🧢

33 minutes ago, MOC said:

Isn't he the guy we claimed (off waivers?) from the Chefs, right before the AFC Championship game? Key Special Teamer that couldn't play for the Chefs after we "claimed" him and couldn't officially sign with the Bengals until after the Super Bowl?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nfls-kamara-lammons-indicted-2022-vegas-nightclub-fight-97273903

NFL's Kamara, Lammons indicted in 2022 Vegas nightclub fight

A grand jury in Nevada has indicted New Orleans Saints running back Alvin Kamara and Cincinnati Bengals newly acquired cornerback Chris Lammons in connection with an alleged beating at a Las Vegas nightclub last February

ByThe Associated Press
February 16, 2023, 8:05 PM

LAS VEGAS -- A grand jury in Nevada has indicted New Orleans Saints running back Alvin Kamara, Cincinnati Bengals newly acquired cornerback Chris Lammons and two others on two criminal counts in connection with an alleged beating at a Las Vegas nightclub last February.

blah blah blah... 

4 hours ago, membengal said:

We have something like four good candidates / Hill, battle, Sydney brown, Nick Scott and maybe even Turner to fill that role. I didn’t see room on the roster for flowers to come back for my part..

He can't stick with Kelce or Kittle but Pratt can cover some TEs. We could have fit Flowers on to the roster without difficulty. He's probably not getting paid much by the Falcons and was cheap for the Bengals last year. Assuming Apple is gone for good, Turner takes his spot. Jones/Davis/George/Tell/Ivey will fight for the last 2 CB roster spots.  Flowers would probably win 1 of them if he were still here. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Sure just saying until we see it it's going to be a question mark.

For me the following are questions going into the season.

- Right Tackle, of the guys competing for this spot, who steps up and can they show that the coaches and front office didn't make a mistake not going outside what we already have?

- Left Guard. Can Volson take the next step and not look like a rookie out there at times?

- Both Safety spots. Bates and Bell were probably the best combo in the league in my opinion. I do suspect there will be a drop off at least initially, the question is by how much and will it hurt us?

- Tight End. Can Irv Smith do what Hurst did or even better? Can he stay healthy? 

- Will we continue to be able to cover Tight Ends now that Flowers is gone?

- Pass rush. Can we get back to what we looked like in the run to the Super Bowl?

- Oline run blocking and holding the line long enough to keep both Joes able to do their job? The Oline got better at least in pass blocking, not so much at run blocking, as the year went on. However IMHO they had to change the style of play the O ran because the line could not block long enough to allow for big plays and not allow for play action pass at all really. It made us predictable at times. Burrow should not have to step up to the line and defenses know we are going to run.

If nobody takes a step backward and we can address at least a majority of those things, while staying relatively healthy, this team will win it's 1st Championship.

Good list. 

58 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

However IMHO they had to change the style of play the O ran because the line could not block long enough

Not just speculation, someone reposted an article talking about how (paraphrasing from memory) they had Collins crashing inside by design since he couldn't be relied on to set the edge & then the pocket shifting left to account for it.  I assume this was less than ideal.

Says he's gonna whup Superman's ass, though, so it's all good.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Not just speculation, someone reposted an article talking about how (paraphrasing from memory) they had Collins crashing inside by design since he couldn't be relied on to set the edge & then the pocket shifting left to account for it.  I assume this was less than ideal.

Says he's gonna whup Superman's ass, though, so it's all good.

I belive Go had a video about that, but there is also a detailed article somewhere around here talking about going to a primarily shotgun and short pass game due to this as well. There is also a video of Ryan Clark and Swagu talking about how the play action pass sets everything up and how we were missing that being in shotgun.

There was a piece somewhere on how Collins was taking a wider than usual split from Cappa. The idea was that he couldn't be bullrushed and could knock down DEs trying to cut inside him. He was vulnerable to outside speed rushes so the wider split made the DE go a greater distance and bought Burrow an extra fraction of a second. It was a "lose slow" tactic.

22 hours ago, sparky151 said:

There was a piece somewhere on how Collins was taking a wider than usual split from Cappa. The idea was that he couldn't be bullrushed and could knock down DEs trying to cut inside him. He was vulnerable to outside speed rushes so the wider split made the DE go a greater distance and bought Burrow an extra fraction of a second. It was a "lose slow" tactic.

Ah that's it, thanks. I knew they'd schemed around him being kind of ass somehow. I guess we'll blame that on playing injured (coughforthelastthreeyears). I bet he was getting a lot of help inside from Cappa, too. 

7l8uxi.jpg

Archived