Bengals Training Camp and Pre-season Thread -News and Obs - 2023

21 minutes ago, dex said:

This is a truly great, informative article by Charles Goldsmith explaining the new changes in the offense. So happy that they are doing a 100 percent install now even with the QB who will run it being unavailable. Guess the coaches are getting used to Burrow not being able to practice in August and are still planning to hit the ground running This year they aren't bothering to wait for him to return.

Good read

5 hours ago, dex said:

Why would they want to shut Jones down? Higgins played with a torn labrum in 2021, Ossai did the same last year. It isn't considered an injury that will get worse if you play with it. Most guys just get the procedure after the season is over. That's when they have many months to recover after the surgery.

Because he isn't good enough?  You can store him on the IR and give him a year to learn and get better. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Because he isn't good enough?  You can store him on the IR and give him a year to learn and get better. 

You have to remember that Jones is 25 years old, which was probably the main reason the Bengals were able to draft him in the 4th round .A healthy Jones is plenty good enough. He was having an excellent camp up until the labrum injury. The only question now is how much does the injury affect his ability to make plays. It seemed to bother him in the exhibition game, but can he make the necessary adjustments the way Higgins did in 2021? Guess we will find out. 

4 hours ago, dex said:

You have to remember that Jones is 25 years old, which was probably the main reason the Bengals were able to draft him in the 4th round .A healthy Jones is plenty good enough. He was having an excellent camp up until the labrum injury. The only question now is how much does the injury affect his ability to make plays. It seemed to bother him in the exhibition game, but can he make the necessary adjustments the way Higgins did in 2021? Guess we will find out. 

Your labrum doesn't effect running routes, unless you cant take any contact off the line.  Jones is at best the fifth WR with the emergence of Iosivas and that's not even considering special teams.  I can see him getting reps in camp and preseason, but once the real games start its doubtful he'll even dress at this point.  Instead of risking sending him to the practice squad you have him get the surgery and come back next season when there will be more need.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Your labrum doesn't effect running routes, unless you cant take any contact off the line.  Jones is at best the fifth WR with the emergence of Iosivas and that's not even considering special teams.  I can see him getting reps in camp and preseason, but once the real games start its doubtful he'll even dress at this point.  Instead of risking sending him to the practice squad you have him get the surgery and come back next season when there will be more need.

If the coaches believed what you just wrote, I'm sure they would've encouraged Jones to have the surgery. That certainly does not appear to be the case. Jones is still a much more polished receiver than Iosivas, a great route runner with a rep for always being where he's supposed to be. For a QB like Burrow, who likes to throw the ball before his receiver even makes their break, those skills are invaluable. 

18 minutes ago, dex said:

If the coaches believed what you just wrote, I'm sure they would've encouraged Jones to have the surgery. That certainly does not appear to be the case. Jones is still a much more polished receiver than Iosivas, a great route runner with a rep for always being where he's supposed to be. For a QB like Burrow, who likes to throw the ball before his receiver even makes their break, those skills are invaluable. 

I didn’t say he doesn’t have value, but he’s pretty much buried in the lineup at this point.  I did forget about Irwin, another WR he is behind.  Unless Jones can play special teams the guy isn’t going to dress on Sundays.  A torn labrum sure isn’t going to help. 

As I said, having Jones get experience in camp and preseason is good for his development, but come regular season I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on IR. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I didn’t say he doesn’t have value, but he’s pretty much buried in the lineup at this point.  I did forget about Irwin, another WR he is behind.  Unless Jones can play special teams the guy isn’t going to dress on Sundays.  A torn labrum sure isn’t going to help. 

As I said, having Jones get experience in camp and preseason is good for his development, but come regular season I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on IR. 

Jones has been the favorite to be the punt returner throughout training camp. Jones and Trent Taylor have seen most of the punt returner reps thus far. 

14 hours ago, Griever said:

Good read

Yes, it was. Other beat writers have taken note of the changes, but haven't bothered to go into great detail the way that Charles Goldsmith just did.I believe we would be hearing more reports about the schematic changes if Burrow was the one out there executing the offense. Instead all we are getting is that the 1st team defense is dominating the 1st team offense in training camp for the third consecutive year. And what do all of these last 3 training camps have in common? No Burrow. I have lost track of the pass breakups that would've been first downs or even touchdowns if Burrow was the one throwing the ball. That one dude makes all the difference in the world.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

This guy was/is a real pleasant surprise for me.

I had forgotten all about him and then he turns up BIG.

Hope it isn't a one hit wonder kind of thing.

He played well in the preseason last year too. Just needs to stay healthy this year and I think he contributes

• Upvote 1