WEEK 4: @ TITANS (GameDey thread)

9 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

But it's the same coaching staff that brought us to the Superbowl and AFC Championship game the last 2 years...they all suddenly got incompetent?

The oline hasn't been competent in years but Burrow had the ability to negate that somewhat with his skills. He's not doing that now, the D can pretty much play red zone defense and dare Burrow to try and beat it deep,. Not gonna happen. (Can't remember where  I saw the red zone analogy or I'd give whoever credit for it. Seemed correct to me)

3 minutes ago, gupps said:

The oline hasn't been competent in years but Burrow had the ability to negate that somewhat with his skills. He's not doing that now, the D can pretty much play red zone defense and dare Burrow to try and beat it deep,. Not gonna happen. (Can't remember where  I saw the red zone analogy or I'd give whoever credit for it. Seemed correct to me)

Another reason he needs to sit until he's 100% healthy 

54 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

But it's the same coaching staff that brought us to the Superbowl and AFC Championship game the last 2 years...they all suddenly got incompetent?

All in spite of an OL that has been consistently bad.  I would say unless things change drastically Frank Pollack will be looking for work at the end of the season.

No doubt the O Line was bad today, but after the first drive, TN was frequently bringing 5, 6, and 7 players to get to Joe.  And since he is basically a statue back there, he was lucky he didn't get killed.

Zac had no answer to the blitzes today--he's being outcoached every week.

• Upvote 1

One of the things we've learned from this brief season is that Joe Burrow was, is and always will be the entire offense... unless, perhaps, they ditch Zac *or* force him to pass off the offensive play calling to someone else (probably not Callahan, he has to be part of the problem, right?). 

The fact of the matter is I'm perfectly ok with Joe being the be-all, end-all.  I've pictured Joe as a future Peyton Manning type since I started paying attention to him during his last college season (meaning I saw him as a guy who was going to call his own plays eventually).  Just get the kind of offensive coaches who will teach and support him, not the type who vacillate between dictating what he's going to do and coddling him when he instead needs direction.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

No doubt the O Line was bad today, but after the first drive, TN was frequently bringing 5, 6, and 7 players to get to Joe.  And since he is basically a statue back there, he was lucky he didn't get killed.

Zac had no answer to the blitzes today--he's being outcoached every week.

Seems like more of a rah-rah guy that is good with the media. So far this team has won or lost on the back of JB. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The mistake was made when they signed him for his fifth year before last season.  Stuck.

He asked to be traded. They could have been rid of him and got some kind of draft pick in return. Maybe not the round that they wanted, but something. Instead they have a bad RT and 12 million less dollars. I have to think between the draft pick and the money they could've found someone new.  Maybe someone better but at least someone they didn't already know was bad. Or at worst $12m and the bad RT.

It's just stubbornness and a refusal to admit mistakes, let alone replace the people making them. There's not a lot of accountability right now. That's ultimately what's getting them beat.

6 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I vote for "overconfident"

I vote for "deluded".

For anyone to have watched Joe "Hercules" Burrow raise this offense to win after win with a (often much) worse OL than he has now with his legs and wits - which necessarily means they were necessarily out of the playbook/plan - and think it was the base planning that earned that success?... well that's just delusional.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Who fuels this (he asks quizzically)? 

Could it be the sports media? John Q Fan lapping up said tank-topped blathering sports media? 

The fact that Bengals players are human beings?  That they are subject to the same misinterpretations and allusions the rest of us are vulnerable to?   It is 100% human nature to think good times are going to continue because that is what you have seen while in your current situation.  Until you learn that lesson the hard way it’s difficult to see things any other way.  These guys are all young.  They don’t have 30 years of experience to tell them to beware of what is to come.  

Suspecting that the Bengals have fallen into the same trap many of us have in our lifetime is logical.  It may not be accurate, but human nature suggests it may very well be.  

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The fact that Bengals players are human beings?  That they are subject to the same misinterpretations and allusions the rest of us are vulnerable to?   It is 100% human nature to think good times are going to continue because that is what you have seen while in your current situation.  Until you learn that lesson the hard way it’s difficult to see things any other way.  These guys are all young.  They don’t have 30 years of experience to tell them to beware of what is to come.  

Suspecting that the Bengals have fallen into the same trap many of us have in our lifetime is logical.  It may not be accurate, but human nature suggests it may very well be.  

Excellent points. It’s simply my probably now defunct belief that people—players and John Q Fan—should be able to think for themselves without some bloviating tank-top wearing fool telling them what to think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Excellent points. It’s simply my probably now defunct belief that people—players and John Q Fan—should be able to think for themselves without some bloviating tank-top wearing fool telling them what to think. 

Yeah, I don't watch any of the talking head shows.  I get most of my misinformation here!  🤣

• Upvote 1