Zac Taylor: Joe Burrow is healthy enough to run the offense

Published October 2, 2023 03:46 PM

The Bengals are off to a slow start offensively this season and quarterback Joe Burrow’s training camp calf injury has been part of the problem, but it’s not a big enough issue for the team to consider sitting him down.

Head coach Zac Taylor confirmed that Burrow will continue as the team’s starting quarterback against the Cardinals in Week Five. Taylor also said that he’s confident that Burrow is healthy enough to run the offense despite the impact of the calf injury.

“It is what it is. I think every week is going to continue to improve that way. We’ve got to be better at the things we can control,” Taylor said at his Monday press conference.

Taylor said the team has to continue to make their game plans with Burrow’s capabilities in mind and that it is “on me as a play caller to find ways to get this team to the end zone earlier in the game.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/zac-taylor-joe-burrow-is-healthy-enough-to-run-the-offense

58 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Zac doesn't realize that by lying in this way, he makes himself and Burrow both look way worse.

Yup.  He's looking stupid now.  I've always been happy for Zac to be the HC and hand over to offense to someone else; right now in my mind he is looking like the worst HC in the NFL.

IF he turns this around, I'm sure he'll take the credit but I feel it will lie elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Here is our first drive.  Yeah sure, Titans adjusted after this drive but the play-calling decision at 2 & 6 on the 6 yard line really eats me.  Why would you change what was working, allow the defence to know you are 100% gonna pass!

And then not go for it on 4th down.  Aim for the jugular!

• 1st & 10 at CIN 25 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (14:59 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass short right to J.Chase to CIN 34 for 9 yards (S.Murphy-Bunting; D.Autry).
  • 2nd & 1 at CIN 34 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (14:24 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow scrambles up the middle to CIN 35 for 1 yard (J.Gibbens).
  • 1st & 10 at CIN 35 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (13:49 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Mixon up the middle to CIN 43 for 8 yards (J.Simmons).
  • 2nd & 2 at CIN 43 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (13:08 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Mixon left guard to TEN 46 for 11 yards (A.Hooker).
  • 1st & 10 at TEN 46 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (12:28 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass short right to T.Higgins to TEN 37 for 9 yards (S.Murphy-Bunting; A.Al-Shaair).
  • 2nd & 1 at TEN 37 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (11:46 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass short left to J.Chase pushed ob at TEN 20 for 17 yards (J.Gibbens).
  • 1st & 10 at TEN 20 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (11:17 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass short left to T.Higgins pushed ob at TEN 10 for 10 yards (R.McCreary).
  • 1st & Goal at TEN 10 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (10:41 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Mixon left guard to TEN 6 for 4 yards (J.Gibbens, A.Al-Shaair).
  • 2nd & 6 at TEN 6 Mixon (or any RB) NOT ON THE FIELD!!!

(9:59 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass incomplete short left to T.Higgins (A.Hooker).

• (9:56 - 1st) Timeout #1 by CIN at 09:56.
  • 3rd & Goal at TEN 6
  • (9:56 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Mixon up the middle to TEN 3 for 3 yards (A.Al-Shaair).
  • 4th & Goal at TEN 3
  • (9:12 - 1st) E.McPherson 21 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-C.Adomitis, Holder-B.Robbins.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Spotto said:

Here is our first drive.  Yeah sure, Titans adjusted after this drive but the play-calling decision at 2 & 6 on the 6 yard line really eats me.  Why would you change what was working, allow the defence to know you are 100% gonna pass!

And then not go for it on 4th down.  Aim for the jugular!

• 1st & 10 at CIN 25 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (14:59 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass short right to J.Chase to CIN 34 for 9 yards (S.Murphy-Bunting; D.Autry).
  • 2nd & 1 at CIN 34 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (14:24 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow scrambles up the middle to CIN 35 for 1 yard (J.Gibbens).
  • 1st & 10 at CIN 35 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (13:49 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Mixon up the middle to CIN 43 for 8 yards (J.Simmons).
  • 2nd & 2 at CIN 43 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (13:08 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Mixon left guard to TEN 46 for 11 yards (A.Hooker).
  • 1st & 10 at TEN 46 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (12:28 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass short right to T.Higgins to TEN 37 for 9 yards (S.Murphy-Bunting; A.Al-Shaair).
  • 2nd & 1 at TEN 37 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (11:46 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass short left to J.Chase pushed ob at TEN 20 for 17 yards (J.Gibbens).
  • 1st & 10 at TEN 20 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (11:17 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass short left to T.Higgins pushed ob at TEN 10 for 10 yards (R.McCreary).
  • 1st & Goal at TEN 10 – Mixon (or any RB) in back field
  • (10:41 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Mixon left guard to TEN 6 for 4 yards (J.Gibbens, A.Al-Shaair).
  • 2nd & 6 at TEN 6 Mixon (or any RB) NOT ON THE FIELD!!!

(9:59 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass incomplete short left to T.Higgins (A.Hooker).

• (9:56 - 1st) Timeout #1 by CIN at 09:56.
  • 3rd & Goal at TEN 6
  • (9:56 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Mixon up the middle to TEN 3 for 3 yards (A.Al-Shaair).
  • 4th & Goal at TEN 3
  • (9:12 - 1st) E.McPherson 21 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-C.Adomitis, Holder-B.Robbins.

If any other coach was producing the results Zac Taylor is with this group of skill players, they would be laughed out of town. But since Zac “led” the Bengals to the SB, he’s immune to criticism. 

18 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

If any other coach was producing the results Zac Taylor is with this group of skill players, they would be laughed out of town. But since Zac “led” the Bengals to the SB, he’s immune to criticism. 

I will give him credit for putting together a good roster but that's it he should not be calling plays  he never did before and why Mike brown let him call plays uis mind boggling 

10 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

I will give him credit for putting together a good roster but that's it he should not be calling plays  he never did before and why Mike brown let him call plays uis mind boggling 

He’s got many good qualities, designing and calling plays isn’t one of them unfortunately. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

I would be curious to know who is telling Zac that Burrow can play through this injury. Is it Burrow, the medical staff, or his own observations? 

Funny thing though: the tank-topped squawking head sports yakkers aren’t exclaiming any great concerns whether he plays or not. 

Of course, they aren’t elevating him to Kermit Willis Reed levels…but they always seem to lionize these “warrior” types. 

5 hours ago, IKOTA said:

Doesn't seem like immunation is working out that well.

He has skill players fortified by the worst oline in the league.

He's adjusting to the 2.4 sec pass 

with a limp QB.

Yeah he seems arrogant on play calling but not much to work with as it is .